Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-19-18, 07:58 AM
All Region

Bugsy8875 is on a distinguished road
Didn't happen but was close to happening.

Ball comes off end of bat and is rolling pretty good up first base line just outside in foul territory. Pitcher is running over to try and grab it. He does get to it while it's in foul territory... The batter-runner is going full steam to first base and is about 1 yard or two from having a collision with the pitcher... nothing happened, but it could of been bad.

Being that the ball is in foul territory, what would the ruling be if there was a collision as the pitcher was attempting to field the ball? Interference and the batter is out (Even though it was a foul ball)?
Old 04-19-18, 11:32 AM
Freshman

goblue44688 is on a distinguished road
Are there any rules against hitting off a tee while on deck or in the hole? Tee is out of play, hitting into a net.
Old 04-19-18, 11:48 AM
All World

AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy8875 View Post
Didn't happen but was close to happening.

Ball comes off end of bat and is rolling pretty good up first base line just outside in foul territory. Pitcher is running over to try and grab it. He does get to it while it's in foul territory... The batter-runner is going full steam to first base and is about 1 yard or two from having a collision with the pitcher... nothing happened, but it could of been bad.

Being that the ball is in foul territory, what would the ruling be if there was a collision as the pitcher was attempting to field the ball? Interference and the batter is out (Even though it was a foul ball)?
The NFHS rule explains that it is interference if he hinders a player from making his initial attempt to field a batted ball. ( does not specify fair or foul)

If the ball had a chance to become fair, you can get the out here.

The umpire get to earn his/her game fee on this one.
Old 04-19-18, 01:35 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
This is always the best thread on the message boards so thanks to the contributors. I know more than most people, non umps of course, and people always come to me with questions and scenarios.

This is always a great read. Thanks all!

Carry on!

Off the top of your heads......what are the main difference between nfhs or obr and usssa rules?

Apparently the boys gamesfall under this often and I'm just curious
Old 04-19-18, 02:46 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post

Off the top of your heads......what are the main difference between nfhs or obr and usssa rules?
I cannot speak for USSSA, but the main differences between NFHS Rules and Official Baseball Rules that immediately come to mind are.....

Balks -- Ball immediately dead under NFHS rules, delayed dead ball for OBR
Obstruction -- OBR has different classifications of obstruction
Appeals -- NFHS has dead ball appeals
Pitching -- NFHS, the hybrid stance is illegal
Substitutions -- re-entry NFHS, none for OBR

I'm sure there are more.
Old 04-19-18, 04:20 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
I cannot speak for USSSA, but the main differences between NFHS Rules and Official Baseball Rules that immediately come to mind are.....

Balks -- Ball immediately dead under NFHS rules, delayed dead ball for OBR
Obstruction -- OBR has different classifications of obstruction
Appeals -- NFHS has dead ball appeals
Pitching -- NFHS, the hybrid stance is illegal
Substitutions -- re-entry NFHS, none for OBR

I'm sure there are more.
Thanks and my bad....just looking for differences at the usssa level. If any
Old 04-19-18, 04:58 PM
All World

Quote:
Thanks and my bad....just looking for differences at the usssa level. If any
Not a problem.....

I'll try to get those..... Have a couple of calls out to guys who work/have worked USSSA. Will post them when they are available to me.
Old 04-20-18, 09:09 PM
All Region

I will try to explain this in type the best I can.

Player A is the DH for Player B.... In the 4th inning, Player B bats for himself... Later Coach puts Player A back in to bat and play defense for player B... Player A gets a hit...

Can coach re-enter Player B to run for Player A and then just take his spot the rest of the game?
Old 04-20-18, 09:19 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblue44688 View Post
Are there any rules against hitting off a tee while on deck or in the hole? Tee is out of play, hitting into a net.
Unless the action is distracting to the game, there is no prohibition of this.

Last edited by AllSports12; 04-20-18 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-20-18, 09:31 PM
All World

Quote:
I will try to explain this in type the best I can.

Player A is the DH for Player B.... In the 4th inning, Player B bats for himself... Later Coach puts Player A back in to bat and play defense for player B... Player A gets a hit...

Can coach re-enter Player B to run for Player A and then just take his spot the rest of the game?
Yes

Both A and B are starters, giving them re-entry status.

Once B appeared at the plate, the DH is eliminated. Now, each player has one re-entry available to them........

A exhausts his re-entry when he returns bats for B..........

B's running for A exhausts B's re-entry and must remain in the game unless another substitute is available. A is a resident of the bench for the remainder of the game.
Old 04-20-18, 09:36 PM
All Region

Quote:
Yes

Both A and B are starters, giving them re-entry status.

Once B appeared at the plate, the DH is eliminated. Now, each player has one re-entry available to them........

A exhausts his re-entry when he returns bats for B..........

B's running for A exhausts B's re-entry and must remain in the game unless another substitute is available. A is a resident of the bench for the remainder of the game.
Thanks.

One of the areas I am trying to read up on more are substitution rules and at times can seem a little confusing. This was my situation tonight and I did it correctly. When the coach was telling me his last move, I had to think for a couple of seconds, but I did the correct thing.
Old 04-20-18, 09:38 PM
All World

Quote:
Thanks.

One of the areas I am trying to read up on more are substitution rules and at times can seem a little confusing. This was my situation tonight and I did it correctly. When the coach was telling me his last move, I had to think for a couple of seconds, but I did the correct thing.
Experiencing the rules versus reading the rules.......

That's how you learn.
Old 04-21-18, 06:55 AM
All Region

bb9
Quote:
Thanks.

Take a look at softball's flex/dp rule if you really want to be confused
Old 04-21-18, 03:04 PM
All Region

Might of asked this before, so I apologize if I did. Doesn't hurt to review some things.

Runner going into second as the defense is attempting to turn a double play.. runner is about 15 ft away once the second baseman goes to make his throw. the runner still is running to the base.... can interference be called and whose call is it first?

Secondly, when players are warming up in the bullpen that is inside of the fence, does the player that is protecting them have to wear a helmet?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-21-18, 06:42 PM
All World

Quote:
Might of asked this before, so I apologize if I did. Doesn't hurt to review some things.

Runner going into second as the defense is attempting to turn a double play.. runner is about 15 ft away once the second baseman goes to make his throw. the runner still is running to the base.... can interference be called and whose call is it first?

Secondly, when players are warming up in the bullpen that is inside of the fence, does the player that is protecting them have to wear a helmet?

Thanks in advance.
Take a look at this Official Interpretation from the NFHS....

SITUATION 3
:"With no outs and R1 on first base, B2 hits a hard ground ball to F6. F6 fields the ball and steps on second base and then throws to first base in an attempt to double up B2. R1 is running standing up in a straight line to second and is hit by F6's throw. R1 was not even half way to second base and did not intentionally interfere with the throw. The defensive coach states that B2 should also be out since R1 violated the force-play slide rule. RULING: This is not a violation of the force play slide rule. R1 cannot be expected to slide at that point in the base path. The play stands. R1 would be out only if he intentionally interfered. (8-4-2b penalty)"

Now.... is 15 feet from the bag a spot where a runner can be expected to slide? If yes, then you have interference.... If no, then you have nothing.

This is a "had to be there" situation. I will say, however, I've yet to see a 15ft slide.
Old 04-21-18, 09:04 PM
All Region

Quote:

SITUATION 3
:"With no outs and R1 on first base, B2 hits a hard ground ball to F6. F6 fields the ball and steps on second base and then throws to first base in an attempt to double up B2. R1 is running standing up in a straight line to second and is hit by F6's throw. R1 was not even half way to second base and did not intentionally interfere with the throw. The defensive coach states that B2 should also be out since R1 violated the force-play slide rule. RULING: This is not a violation of the force play slide rule. R1 cannot be expected to slide at that point in the base path. The play stands. R1 would be out only if he intentionally interfered. (8-4-2b penalty)"

Now.... is 15 feet from the bag a spot where a runner can be expected to slide? If yes, then you have interference.... If no, then you have nothing.

This is a "had to be there" situation. I will say, however, I've yet to see a 15ft slide.
Good stuff... What about requiring a kid who is protecting the bullpen that is inside the fences? Helmet on him or no?
Old 04-21-18, 09:58 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
3-3-4 does not explicitly state to helmet the kid protecting the pitcher/catcher (bullpen) inside the fence
1-5-1 also does not list that player as among those having to wear a helmet

In a rules interpretation meeting I was at, it was explained that the player has a glove with him, which should be sufficient protection.
Old 04-21-18, 10:04 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
3-3-4 does not explicitly state to helmet the kid protecting the pitcher/catcher (bullpen) inside the fence
1-5-1 also does not list that player as among those having to wear a helmet

In a rules interpretation meeting I was at, it was explained that the player has a glove with him, which should be sufficient protection.
Thanks.

In a game I had today, I did ask the coach to have the kid put a helmet on. He said we haven't had to do that for several years... I replied respectfully, let's put one on him and error on the side of safety... He was a little irritated, but complied.
Old 04-23-18, 10:16 AM
All Ohio

Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Umps in my local league always make the players wear a helmet when protecting the bullpen. I have seen non-league umpires tell coaches that the kid has a glove and should know how to use it.
Old 04-23-18, 10:15 PM
All World

Quote:
What about requiring a kid who is protecting the bullpen that is inside the fences? Helmet on him or no?
No. The only equipment required for the “protector” is a glove.

See the Case Book Play noted below (3.3.4 SITUATION)

SITUATION: Player(s) are loosening up beyond first base and in foul territory, the area is unprotected (a) a player with a glove is positioned between the player(s) loosening up and the batter to serve as a protector. (b) No player is available to assume a position between the player(s) loosening up and the batter to serve as a protector. (c) a player without a glove is positioned between the player(s) loosening up and the batter to serve as a protector.

RULING: In (a), legal. In (b), illegal, if no player is available to assume a position between the player(s) loosening up and the batter, the player(s) must loosen up outside the confines of the field. In (c) illegal, the player serving as the protector to the player(s) loosening up must have a glove.

COMMENT: It is not mandatory that the protector wear a helmet

Last edited by AllSports12; 04-24-18 at 06:44 AM.
Old 04-24-18, 11:20 AM
All Yappi

That's good stuff. Always see an umpires stop games for them to put helmets on. Probably a good idea but not aware it's not required.

Saw an interesting call/no call. INF rule, called by the home plate umpire although not very loud or distinctive where most the team did not hear it. When the base umpire was asked why he did not call it his response was 'it's an assumed call where the teamshould know that shoild be called'.

Never heard of that before.......and I imagine most 12 yr olds, and by the way the runners and the defense (and 3 diff things fans said is supposed to happen) that many aren't aware of those rulings.

So.....before I totally rule out the umpire was right.....what say you? Assumed call that the ump does not need to call it or just wrong?
Old 04-24-18, 12:39 PM
All Region

Quote:
That's good stuff. Always see an umpires stop games for them to put helmets on. Probably a good idea but not aware it's not required.

Saw an interesting call/no call. INF rule, called by the home plate umpire although not very loud or distinctive where most the team did not hear it. When the base umpire was asked why he did not call it his response was 'it's an assumed call where the teamshould know that shoild be called'.

Never heard of that before.......and I imagine most 12 yr olds, and by the way the runners and the defense (and 3 diff things fans said is supposed to happen) that many aren't aware of those rulings.

So.....before I totally rule out the umpire was right.....what say you? Assumed call that the ump does not need to call it or just wrong?
The way I have been taught and how I do it is say, ""Infield fly, the batter is out" or if it might be near foul the foul line, "Infield fly if fair, the batter is out."

I have called it as a plate umpire and have called it as a base umpire. I believe it needs to be called because you are the one determining if it's "ordinary effort" and the runners on base need to know what your judgment is.

I don't preach the Gospel of Umpiring, but I think this is the way to do it.
Old 04-24-18, 04:03 PM
All World

Quote:

The umpire should make this declaration, however......

From the Case Book.....

7.4.1 SITUATION G:

With R2 on second and R1 on first and one out, B4 hits a high fly to second base which could have been caught by F4. Neither umpire declares "infield fly." F4 unintentionally drops the ball but picks it up and tags R1 who is off the base.

RULING:

The half-inning is over as R1's out is the third out. The infield fly out for the second out holds even though it was not declared. The situation determines the out, not the declaration. The umpires should always declare "Infield Fly, If Fair" to lessen any confusion
Old 04-25-18, 10:39 AM
All Region

Quote:

SITUATION 3

So, can a runner stay upright all the way into the base as long as he doesn't put his hands up and show any type of attempt to interfere other than being in the baseline and continuing to run?
Old 04-25-18, 10:42 AM
All Region

This is a topic revisited.

Runner at 2B takes off to go to third as the pitcher in in the stretch. The pitcher doesn't step towards third to make a play, he keeps his feet planted and throws from that position to 3B. There is no step towards the bag. I know he can throw to 3B on this, but in the details, can we call a balk because he didn't step to the base?
Old 04-25-18, 08:33 PM
All World

Quote:
So, can a runner stay upright all the way into the base as long as he doesn't put his hands up and show any type of attempt to interfere other than being in the baseline and continuing to run?
No

Now, he can be reasonably expected to slide.
Old 04-25-18, 08:41 PM
All World

Quote:
This is a topic revisited.

Runner at 2B takes off to go to third as the pitcher in in the stretch. The pitcher doesn't step towards third to make a play, he keeps his feet planted and throws from that position to 3B. There is no step towards the bag. I know he can throw to 3B on this, but in the details, can we call a balk because he didn't step to the base?
Not only can you balk this, you should as this is a balk.

The pitcher must step with his non-pivot foot towards the base.
Old 04-26-18, 09:10 PM
All Region

Something I learned tonight and probably very rare due to field designs... I was informed by my partner and can't find the rule.

A player can not throw over a dead ball area? The area for players extended out from the dugout and there was an area the ball could roll into and remain live, but if there was a throw from there to home plate, the throw would go over a dead ball area.

I have been thinking about this one all night because I have never heard of this nor have I been to a field where this was a possibility until tonight.
Old 04-26-18, 10:28 PM
All World

Quote:
Something I learned tonight and probably very rare due to field designs... I was informed by my partner and can't find the rule.

A player can not throw over a dead ball area? The area for players extended out from the dugout and there was an area the ball could roll into and remain live, but if there was a throw from there to home plate, the throw would go over a dead ball area.

I have been thinking about this one all night because I have never heard of this nor have I been to a field where this was a possibility until tonight.
A couple of things.....

1) Your partner made up a rule. I suggest he review Rule 5.
2) Dead Ball territory cannot extend towards the foul line or towards home plate. If extended it must be parallel to the foul line and towards the outfield.

Last edited by AllSports12; 04-26-18 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-27-18, 06:32 AM
All Region

Quote:
A couple of things.....

1) Your partner made up a rule. I suggest he review Rule 5.
2) Dead Ball territory cannot extend towards the foul line or towards home plate. If extended it must be parallel to the foul line and towards the outfield.
I am trying to attach a screen grab of the field I was at, trying to show the area just to the North side of the dugout that would be in play if the ball went there and as a players area extended out into the field.

I will also look at rule 5 today too.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-04-27 at 7.26.56 AM.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	2261