Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: The NcK - Mass rivalry is ......
Still the most important high school game in America 12 16.90%
Still the most important game on the schedule 23 32.39%
Losing importance each passing year 20 28.17%
Meaningful mostly to those over 40 11 15.49%
Other than Harbins, just a tune up for the playoffs 5 7.04%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 07-11-18, 10:36 AM
GregG GregG is offline
Moderated User
 
Join Date: 12-23-17
Posts: 298
GregG is on a distinguished road
Pam Anderson, playoff title or never lose to McK?

What is never lose to McK!
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 07-11-18, 12:28 PM
TigerPaw TigerPaw is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-19-02
Posts: 11,055
TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Huge Ted, fair points. And applicable to every rivalry and/or program in Ohio. The broader question, is hs football in general as important or popular as it used to be would yield less biased responses. Ditto whether playoffs have lessened the importance of regular season games, while adding to the overall excitement. As rivals, the Massillon vs. McKinley vs. WGH playoff atmospheres were as exciting as anything from the 60's-70's-80's.

The problem is anyone familiar with Yappi understands the op's mission, which is to troll Massillon.
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 07-11-18, 02:47 PM
THESHADOW14 THESHADOW14 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-31-09
Posts: 3,863
THESHADOW14 is on a distinguished road
You guys are funny...

McKinley/Massillon game is still the game and gets all the respect it deserves - and any player that gets to play in the game will remember it forever and tell everybody forever (if he won )

Back to the question of this very interesting thread and the answer is still...NO!

I had a loved one that played in this game twice when the helmets were leather and players played offense and defense - and one of the teams had a guy named Paul Brown on the sidelines!!!... so please don't tell me that I don't know anything about the Great MASS/MCK Rivalry!

That's that!
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 07-11-18, 05:29 PM
Ts1960 Ts1960 is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 12-20-17
Posts: 2,223
Ts1960 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by THESHADOW14 View Post
You guys are funny...

McKinley/Massillon game is still the game and gets all the respect it deserves - and any player that gets to play in the game will remember it forever and tell everybody forever (if he won )

Back to the question of this very interesting thread and the answer is still...NO!

I had a loved one that played in this game twice when the helmets were leather and players played offense and defense - and one of the teams had a guy named Paul Brown on the sidelines!!!... so please don't tell me that I don't know anything about the Great MASS/MCK Rivalry!

That's that!
You donít or you wouldnít make the comments you have made. If you didnít play in the game you have no idea other then what you are told. My Father played in the game 25 years before I did and you are going to tell me the game meant more to him then it did for me ? Fool...
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 07-11-18, 06:31 PM
my2sense my2sense is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-23-16
Posts: 1,988
my2sense is on a distinguished road
This proves my point exactly - because it meant a lot to your daddy and then to you (assuming you played - doubtful), you are incapable of allowing yourself to realize it just may have changed since then.

And because there is Week 11, it automatically changes the magnitude of Week 10. That's just the fact.
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 07-11-18, 06:34 PM
my2sense my2sense is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-23-16
Posts: 1,988
my2sense is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Ted View Post
It's still big but certainly not as big as it once was.

I remember in the mid 90's having a couple beers with several Massillon coaches who had all played in the "glory days". The question came up, would you rather lose to McK. and go on and win the state championship or beat McK. and not make the playoffs. They all said beat Mck. I bet if you asked a group of current Massillon coaches they would make the opposite choice. That's why it's not as big!
Correct on all points. As I said earlier, give Reardon and Moore truth serum and ask them what matters most and the answer will not be Week 10.
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 07-11-18, 06:36 PM
my2sense my2sense is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-23-16
Posts: 1,988
my2sense is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egret View Post
This question alone proves how off base you are on this one. Try to keep a Massillon kid out of the McKinley game and see what happens. And I suspect the same is true at McKinley.
Is doing business with people in 20s and 30s the same as it used to be when you were that age? Or has so much changed its hard to remember how it really was?
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 07-11-18, 06:38 PM
Egret Egret is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-08-09
Posts: 4,423
Egret has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
Is doing business with people in 20s and 30s the same as it used to be when you were that age? Or has so much changed its hard to remember how it really was?
Totally irrelevant. The kids that are there and playing live for this game. I do suspect, however they get over it a lot sooner if they are on the losing end. That I believe.
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 07-11-18, 06:43 PM
my2sense my2sense is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-23-16
Posts: 1,988
my2sense is on a distinguished road
It's totally relevant to my point that very little in life means the same as it once did including this game. Plus the existence of Week 11 means you have to get over it quickly.
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 07-12-18, 09:48 AM
THESHADOW14 THESHADOW14 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-31-09
Posts: 3,863
THESHADOW14 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
This proves my point exactly - because it meant a lot to your daddy and then to you (assuming you played - doubtful), you are incapable of allowing yourself to realize it just may have changed since then.

And because there is Week 11, it automatically changes the magnitude of Week 10. That's just the fact.
haha...... you would be surprised.... haha
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 07-12-18, 12:45 PM
ChronicTiger ChronicTiger is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-31-02
Posts: 2,551
ChronicTiger is on a distinguished road
Participation in HS Football is on the decline. Which means interest in HS Football must be on the decline. This also means any game you decide to put under the microscope is on the decline as well. Pretty simple stuff.

In regards to HS Football, the only thing about it that does not seem on the decline is people's fascination with Massillon Football - Crazy!



https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...otball-players
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 07-12-18, 01:08 PM
Mackinbiner Mackinbiner is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-26-03
Posts: 6,463
Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronicTiger View Post
Participation in HS Football is on the decline. Which means interest in HS Football must be on the decline. This also means any game you decide to put under the microscope is on the decline as well. Pretty simple stuff.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...otball-players
A 1% drop over 5 years doesn't seem that significant to me.
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 07-12-18, 02:46 PM
THESHADOW14 THESHADOW14 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-31-09
Posts: 3,863
THESHADOW14 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronicTiger View Post
Participation in HS Football is on the decline. Which means interest in HS Football must be on the decline. This also means any game you decide to put under the microscope is on the decline as well. Pretty simple stuff.

In regards to HS Football, the only thing about it that does not seem on the decline is people's fascination with Massillon Football - Crazy!



https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...otball-players
Hmmmm.... wonder why? the decline - Video Games, IPhones, Social Media Facebook/Twitter and all that other stuff???.... or maybe...

Modern Day Concussion Protocol which is a great thing!.... Concussion use to be cured with a thing called Smelling Salts and then have your mom give you 2Aspirin before you went to bed...

I don't know maybe that is why it is declining with todays Kids??
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 07-13-18, 06:29 PM
Mackinbiner Mackinbiner is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-26-03
Posts: 6,463
Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
This proves my point exactly - because it meant a lot to your daddy and then to you (assuming you played - doubtful), you are incapable of allowing yourself to realize it just may have changed since then.
I truly believe Ts1960 DID "play in the game."

I just wonder if he played the flute or the piccolo.
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 07-13-18, 09:46 PM
Sykotyk Sykotyk is online now
All World
 
Join Date: 10-12-06
Location: Lowellville, OH
Posts: 4,405
Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by THESHADOW14 View Post
Hmmmm.... wonder why? the decline - Video Games, IPhones, Social Media Facebook/Twitter and all that other stuff???.... or maybe...

Modern Day Concussion Protocol which is a great thing!.... Concussion use to be cured with a thing called Smelling Salts and then have your mom give you 2Aspirin before you went to bed...

I don't know maybe that is why it is declining with todays Kids??
Specialization and kids not wanting to ride the bench for years. That's the biggest issue with football. It isn't an easy sport to sub players in to get some playing time. So, kids don't want to stick around if they're just practice dummies for the first year or two. You see it in the transfer culture where kids want to go where they win, they also want to play on a team where they can play.

And then Specialization means a kid has to basically pick one sport, sometimes in grade school even, to hone their craft. They're not suddenly 3-sport lettermen come high school. They're only playing one sport. And worse, is that a lot of football coaches demand the same dedication out of their players and throw a fit if a kid wants to play another sport in the off season instead of focusing on getting ready for next football season.
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 07-14-18, 12:45 PM
JJBulldog JJBulldog is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 09-05-17
Location: Canton, Ohio
Posts: 677
JJBulldog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
Specialization and kids not wanting to ride the bench for years. That's the biggest issue with football. It isn't an easy sport to sub players in to get some playing time. So, kids don't want to stick around if they're just practice dummies for the first year or two. You see it in the transfer culture where kids want to go where they win, they also want to play on a team where they can play.

And then Specialization means a kid has to basically pick one sport, sometimes in grade school even, to hone their craft. They're not suddenly 3-sport lettermen come high school. They're only playing one sport. And worse, is that a lot of football coaches demand the same dedication out of their players and throw a fit if a kid wants to play another sport in the off season instead of focusing on getting ready for next football season.
Very good points. The running clock rule also prevents backups from seeing much action, which means third teamers might get a minute a couple of times a year. Football is a very demanding sport in the off-season. So to make the sacrifices and hardly, if ever, see the field has really cut down squad size, too. It used to be you'd see 90- 100 kids on the sideline for a game. Very few public schools do this anymore.

The McKinley-Massillon gameis still a big game, especially for the two schools.

Both communities were hit hard by the loss of manufacturing jobs in Stark Co. and the populations have more old people and fewer families with kids. Massillon is now D2, and Canton only has one hs these days. It used to have four.

The playoffs have made the game less important for McKinley, because the Bulldogs have three state championships in the playoffs. Massillon, on the other hand, has none. McKinley still has the goal of winning those, while it seems Massillon's given up on those and their state championship IS McKinley.

I think the game is more important to Massillon than Canton, also in part to a less stable population nowadays. People not originally from Canton don't care. Massillon attendance has also been greatly effected. The adults in the stands for both schools are older.

In years when both go into the game undefeated, thereis a much bigger crowd. But both schools rarely do that anymore, and sometimes have losing records, unheard of back in the day. Many factors have conspired to make the game less important. But it still is a better regular season spectacle than any other in Ohio.
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 07-14-18, 02:35 PM
Ts1960 Ts1960 is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 12-20-17
Posts: 2,223
Ts1960 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBulldog View Post

The playoffs have made the game less important for McKinley, because the Bulldogs have three state championships in the playoffs. Massillon, on the other hand, has none. McKinley still has the goal of winning those, while it seems Massillon's given up on those and their state championship IS McKinley.


.
When you lose 6 out of the last 7 itís easy to use that as an excuse. Ask some of the mck players from last years game if they felt that way.
The Tigers made it to the final 4 last year and I can promise you the goal every year is a state title !
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 07-15-18, 04:48 PM
JJBulldog JJBulldog is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 09-05-17
Location: Canton, Ohio
Posts: 677
JJBulldog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts1960 View Post
When you lose 6 out of the last 7 itís easy to use that as an excuse. Ask some of the mck players from last years game if they felt that way.
The Tigers made it to the final 4 last year and I can promise you the goal every year is a state title !
Well, it would appear you've had a half-century of broken promises recently, but good luck! North Korea's goal every year is to be the world's greatest military.
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 07-15-18, 05:16 PM
Maxie Maxie is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-25-03
Location: 24 & 9 Titles 71-53-5
Posts: 6,700
Maxie can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBulldog View Post
Well, it would appear you've had a half-century of broken promises recently, but good luck! North Korea's goal every year is to be the world's greatest military.

What???? What I do know, with the Tigers' 16-15 victory in 2017, Massillon now has a 17 game lead, the largest of either school, in the history of the series.
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 07-15-18, 05:31 PM
my2sense my2sense is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-23-16
Posts: 1,988
my2sense is on a distinguished road
Thanks Maxie for the super relevant all time update. I know you don't get it, but your historical update proves my point. Anything before 2000 is ancient history to these kids.
Reply With Quote
  #141  
Old 07-15-18, 08:14 PM
Ts1960 Ts1960 is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 12-20-17
Posts: 2,223
Ts1960 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
Thanks Maxie for the super relevant all time update. I know you don't get it, but your historical update proves my point. Anything before 2000 is ancient history to these kids.
Ok letís discuss 6 out of the last 7....
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 07-15-18, 08:21 PM
Striker300 Striker300 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 06-14-09
Posts: 3,270
Striker300 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
Thanks Maxie for the super relevant all time update. I know you don't get it, but your historical update proves my point. Anything before 2000 is ancient history to these kids.
Ok then, 2000-2017 Massillon 15 wins, McKinley 7 wins. Anything else??

Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 07-15-18, 08:47 PM
my2sense my2sense is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-23-16
Posts: 1,988
my2sense is on a distinguished road
Yes - you are winning a game that means a little less each year. If winning this game means more than winning your last game each season then congrats.
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 07-15-18, 09:50 PM
Maxie Maxie is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-25-03
Location: 24 & 9 Titles 71-53-5
Posts: 6,700
Maxie can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
Thanks Maxie for the super relevant all time update. I know you don't get it, but your historical update proves my point. Anything before 2000 is ancient history to these kids.

As a McKinley fan, you want to ignore the status of the current series. "Historical update" proves my point. Massillon's CURRENT 17 game just occurred in 2017. I don't think that is "ancient history" to the current players.
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 07-15-18, 10:14 PM
Ts1960 Ts1960 is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 12-20-17
Posts: 2,223
Ts1960 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
Yes - you are winning a game that means a little less each year. If winning this game means more than winning your last game each season then congrats.
LMAO coming from someone who knows NOTHING about the game except from sitting in the stands. Run along Quaker....
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 07-16-18, 01:48 PM
THESHADOW14 THESHADOW14 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-31-09
Posts: 3,863
THESHADOW14 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
I truly believe Ts1960 DID "play in the game."

I just wonder if he played the flute or the piccolo.
I would have to guess flute....

Sorry guys.... the game importance has DECLINED over the years just like the thread asked... - but I really like new Benson Stadium - great area to stand when rains
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 07-16-18, 01:51 PM
THESHADOW14 THESHADOW14 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-31-09
Posts: 3,863
THESHADOW14 is on a distinguished road
Now you guys put my back to the wall.... so...

Question: How in the World could this game STILL be as important when one of the teams has not won a Championship on the Field... EVER!.... EVER!!!
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 07-16-18, 03:03 PM
Egret Egret is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-08-09
Posts: 4,423
Egret has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
I truly believe Ts1960 DID "play in the game."

I just wonder if he played the flute or the piccolo.
Oh my GAWD! How epic is this idiot saying this?
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 07-16-18, 04:54 PM
Ts1960 Ts1960 is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 12-20-17
Posts: 2,223
Ts1960 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by THESHADOW14 View Post
I would have to guess flute....

Sorry guys.... the game importance has DECLINED over the years just like the thread asked... - but I really like new Benson Stadium - great area to stand when rains
WR, #81. Not like mr skin flute.
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 07-16-18, 04:56 PM
Ts1960 Ts1960 is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 12-20-17
Posts: 2,223
Ts1960 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by THESHADOW14 View Post
Now you guys put my back to the wall.... so...

Question: How in the World could this game STILL be as important when one of the teams has not won a Championship on the Field... EVER!.... EVER!!!
24 titles ! All games in those 24 seasons were played on the field so stick with the little catholic school on Tusc and Massillon people will take care of Massillon.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2017 Week 0 (Kentucky) Sykotyk National Football Board 1 12-24-17 11:25 AM
Game Report: Wheelersburg 15 Middletown Madison 10 LICKING COUNTY FAN Football 0 11-25-17 11:01 AM
Game REPORT: St. Clairsville 28 Bellaire 14 LICKING COUNTY FAN Football 1 10-07-17 11:19 PM
Game report: Sidney 49 Tippecanoe 42 LICKING COUNTY FAN Football 26 10-07-17 04:43 PM
Game report: Dayton Christian 14 Ponitz Career Technology Center 6 LICKING COUNTY FAN Football 1 09-08-17 12:02 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:15 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz