Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-15-19, 11:01 PM
Freshman

Abdullah is on a distinguished road
Athletes Fasting During Holy Month Of Ramadan

What is coach/athlete experiences with athletes who must fast during the Holy Month of Ramadan? Any strategies proven effective for performance while still adhering to fast? Whether in track/field or other athletics.

Alhamdulillah
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-19, 10:22 AM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
In the past one thing we have done is make sure to cut back their training. Fasting athletes won't recover as quickly from workouts, so decreasing the volume can help. We also stress the need to hydrate continuously after dark and before dawn, rather than drinking a ton of water as soon as you can, feeling full and not drinking any more. Also, not running too many events at meets helps.

Last edited by mathking; 05-17-19 at 06:49 AM..
Old 05-16-19, 10:31 PM
All Ohio

nooks is on a distinguished road
Eating normally would likely yield the best results...
Old 05-17-19, 06:55 AM
All American

Almost all of my son's team is observing Ramadan, and several of his teammates are drinking protein shakes. At least one is drinking Pedialyte.
Old 05-17-19, 07:57 AM
All American

Rohbino is on a distinguished road
I read an article in the Guardian about this yesterday that might be helpful. Here's the article - Fasts and late-night protein shakes: how Muslim athletes compete during Ramadan

Two of my favorite soccer players, Mesut Ozil & Mohamed Salah, are Muslim. There are a lot of professional soccer players that are Muslim. Ozil formerly played for the German national team & is currently with the Arsenal of the EPL. Salah is Egyptian and plays for Liverpool of the EPL. Both have had play in the World Cup coincide with Ramadan. I believe that Ozil, during the 2014 & 2018 WC, chose not to fast. Salah seems to be more observant.

Here's another article about athletes and Ramadan - How Muslim Athletes Deal With Ramadan. From this article: "There's a "trick," too, if you can call it that. Since Ramadan involves fasting only during daylight, some Muslims set alarms before dawn to consume water and food. That way, they get to make the most out of their period of breaking fast each day."

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathking View Post
Almost all of my son's team is observing Ramadan, and several of his teammates are drinking protein shakes. At least one is drinking Pedialyte.
An alternative to Pedialyte is Hoist. Hoist is the same idea as Pedialyte in that it is isotonic but personally I like Hoist better. I speak from experience as I have used both prior to competing in motocross, cyclocross, and mountain bike racing. Both are effective but Hoist is more palatable to me. Hoist can be hard to find but it is marketed by a Cincinnati company so with enough effort can be found in retailers around the Midwest.
Old 05-17-19, 09:00 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohbino View Post
An alternative to Pedialyte is Hoist. Hoist is the same idea as Pedialyte in that it is isotonic but personally I like Hoist better. I speak from experience as I have used both prior to competing in motocross, cyclocross, and mountain bike racing. Both are effective but Hoist is more palatable to me. Hoist can be hard to find but it is marketed by a Cincinnati company so with enough effort can be found in retailers around the Midwest.
Rohbino, thanks for the Hoist suggestion. I am going to suggest this to my son's teammate, who says he hates Pedialyte, but it makes him feel much better. Maybe Hoist will be a bit more tasty for him. And we definitely encourage our athletes to get up early to eat and drink before dawn.
Old 05-17-19, 05:08 PM
Freshman

Abdullah is on a distinguished road
Thank you all much for the advice.

Alhamdulillah