Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Debate Forum

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-14-19, 03:19 PM
BlueJayFan BlueJayFan is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-23-14
Posts: 5,920
BlueJayFan is on a distinguished road
Trump to declare national emergency

According to McConnell

Quote:
President Trump will declare a national emergency to fund his demand to build a border wall, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) announced on the Senate floor Thursday.

"I had an opportunity to speak with President Trump and he, I would say to all my colleagues, has indicated he's prepared to sign the bill. He also [will] be issuing a national emergency declaration at the same time. I indicated I'm going to support the national emergency declaration," McConnell announced shortly after 3 p.m. Thursday.

McConnell, who reportedly advised Trump not to declare a national emergency, said he will support the president's action.

McConnell said the president will also sign a congressional deal that provides $1.375 billion in funding for border barriers.

DEVELOPING
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...mpression=true
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 02-14-19, 03:27 PM
bigkat bigkat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-06-14
Posts: 3,797
bigkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJayFan View Post
because Congress is full of incompetent idiots... been a problem for years.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-14-19, 03:28 PM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 8,464
thavoice is on a distinguished road
National Emergency huh?
Does this mean we need to all rush to the store and buy mild and bread?



What a joke...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-14-19, 03:29 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 55,107
Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Looking at some of the previous "national emergencies," this seems like a more pressing need than some of the others. It's a shame that something couldn't be worked out but there is so much hatred in Washington right now that neither side would be willing to compromise.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-14-19, 03:32 PM
bigkat bigkat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-06-14
Posts: 3,797
bigkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Looking at some of the previous "national emergencies," this seems like a more pressing need than some of the others. It's a shame that something couldn't be worked out but there is so much hatred in Washington right now that neither side would be willing to compromise.
this should have been done YEARS ago.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-14-19, 03:32 PM
BlueJayFan BlueJayFan is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-23-14
Posts: 5,920
BlueJayFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Looking at some of the previous "national emergencies," this seems like a more pressing need than some of the others. It's a shame that something couldn't be worked out but there is so much hatred in Washington right now that neither side would be willing to compromise.
So will you have a problem with the next Democratic president issuing a national emergency to pass a Green New Deal and take extreme measures to combat climate change?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-14-19, 03:35 PM
bigkat bigkat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-06-14
Posts: 3,797
bigkat is on a distinguished road
so how many of these GRIFTERS actually read this 1,200 page bill? I guess we will find out what is in it....where have we heard that before?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-14-19, 03:36 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 55,107
Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJayFan View Post
So will you have a problem with the next Democratic president issuing a national emergency to pass a Green New Deal and take extreme measures to combat climate change?
I'm expecting it even if Trump doesn't do this.

The one difference is that there are plenty of people voting against the wall that previously were for it. Passing funding for the wall should have been universally supported but because it had Trump's name attached, it had zero chance of passing.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-14-19, 03:44 PM
Stirred not Shaken Stirred not Shaken is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-05-14
Posts: 3,930
Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJayFan View Post
So will you have a problem with the next Democratic president issuing a national emergency to pass a Green New Deal and take extreme measures to combat climate change?
Exactly, this is a very bad precedent, if it goes through and the courts allow it.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-14-19, 03:46 PM
TigerPaw TigerPaw is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-19-02
Posts: 11,929
TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJayFan View Post
So will you have a problem with the next Democratic president issuing a national emergency to pass a Green New Deal and take extreme measures to combat climate change?
I don't think it will pass "emergency" muster, but if so in the long run a small price to pay for gun control, healthcare access, climate change, as well as comprehensive immigration reform.

Build A Wall!!! "And who's going to pay for it"??? Ok not Mexico, lol. And not him or his ilk. So who then? Oh yeah who else.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-14-19, 03:47 PM
Bigscarletandgrey Bigscarletandgrey is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 09-18-17
Posts: 255
Bigscarletandgrey is on a distinguished road
If he declares a national emergency and reappropriates funds because congress didn't give him what he wanted we should all be as upset about this as any other infringement on the constitution.

Congress is the branch of government that decides on funding, not the executive branch.

This opens up a very large can of worms for the future.

Maybe the next Democratic president will declare a National emergency and take guns away.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-14-19, 03:48 PM
Bigscarletandgrey Bigscarletandgrey is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 09-18-17
Posts: 255
Bigscarletandgrey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
I don't think it will pass "emergency" muster, but if so in the long run a small price to pay for gun control, healthcare access, climate change, as well as comprehensive immigration reform.

Build A Wall!!! "And who's going to pay for it"??? Ok not Mexico, lol. And not him or his ilk. So who then? Oh yeah who else.
LOL... Must have been typing at almost the same time.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-14-19, 03:52 PM
ronnie mund ronnie mund is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-11-13
Posts: 8,101
ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigscarletandgrey View Post
If he declares a national emergency and reappropriates funds because congress didn't give him what he wanted we should all be as upset about this as any other infringement on the constitution.

Congress is the branch of government that decides on funding, not the executive branch.

This opens up a very large can of worms for the future.

Maybe the next Democratic president will declare a National emergency and take guns away.
Well said.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-14-19, 04:01 PM
Happygoluckky Happygoluckky is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-29-14
Posts: 3,830
Happygoluckky is on a distinguished road
GOP is no longer the party of conservatism or small government.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-14-19, 04:02 PM
TigerPaw TigerPaw is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-19-02
Posts: 11,929
TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
I'm expecting it even if Trump doesn't do this.

The one difference is that there are plenty of people voting against the wall that previously were for it. Passing funding for the wall should have been universally supported but because it had Trump's name attached, it had zero chance of passing.
A universally supported "wall" along the entire border, minus any other comprehensive reforms? When was that? Link?

He got wall money. Or fence money. Just not enough for the open ended boondoggle he is proposing. And a much larger amount got nixed, because it was not enough of an "emergency" to include a DACA fix for people who lived here their whole lives with a clean record.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-14-19, 04:24 PM
Gulliotine Gulliotine is online now
All World
 
Join Date: 02-26-08
Posts: 2,922
Gulliotine is on a distinguished road
Big win for the President. I think he now has the record for simultaneous explosions of moonbat heads.

So the courts are gonna rule...probably the Supremes. When Barry II declares he's grabbing guns, I'll bet that rule on that too.

Before I get all hysterical, I'll wait to hear the verdict.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-14-19, 04:46 PM
bigkat bigkat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-06-14
Posts: 3,797
bigkat is on a distinguished road
I just heard that the spending BILL is worth around $300 Billion......
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-14-19, 04:49 PM
Bigscarletandgrey Bigscarletandgrey is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 09-18-17
Posts: 255
Bigscarletandgrey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkat View Post
I just heard that the spending BILL is worth around $300 Billion......
It wasn't just for the wall. It was a Homeland Security Bill.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-14-19, 04:55 PM
Hammerdrill Hammerdrill is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 01-28-13
Posts: 2,100
Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
I don't think it will pass "emergency" muster, but if so in the long run a small price to pay for gun control, healthcare access, climate change, as well as comprehensive immigration reform.

Build A Wall!!! "And who's going to pay for it"??? Ok not Mexico, lol. And not him or his ilk. So who then? Oh yeah who else.
Don't act like you care about the government paying for stuff. You just don't want it paying to protect its citizens.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-14-19, 04:55 PM
SWMCinci SWMCinci is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-20-07
Location: Outside of Ohio..... Now
Posts: 18,690
SWMCinci is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJayFan View Post
So will you have a problem with the next Democratic president issuing a national emergency to pass a Green New Deal and take extreme measures to combat climate change?
Didn't Obama do exactly that with DACA and other EOs? Seems like Trump solved that with a stroke of a pen as he came in.

Trump is using a National Emergency to redirect government dollars from one project to another. An attempt to do the GND as a National Emergency involves new taxes, new financial allocations, and a boatload of new costs and requirements for American citizens and businesses.

Just might trigger the 2nd American Revolution as people refuse to spend their own money for something so stupid.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-14-19, 05:03 PM
Happygoluckky Happygoluckky is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-29-14
Posts: 3,830
Happygoluckky is on a distinguished road
This is why listening to guys like McConnell and Portman talk about institutions and the Constitution is a joke...they don't give two chits...McConnell will support a president basically usurping legislative/appropriator powers in declaring a national emergency.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-14-19, 05:06 PM
boiler boiler is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 12-06-08
Location: In the basement
Posts: 912
boiler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJayFan View Post
So will you have a problem with the next Democratic president issuing a national emergency to pass a Green New Deal and take extreme measures to combat climate change?
Illegal immigration through our southern border is a national threat. If Trump declares it a national emergency it will be challenged all the way to the Supreme court. By the time it gets there, GOP will have a 6-3 advantage. Whether is passes or not who know but one this is for sure. Any socialist type of executive action will be overruled by this 6-3 advantage. Trump's legacy will be lasting for many years.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-14-19, 05:09 PM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 26,388
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigscarletandgrey View Post
If he declares a national emergency and reappropriates funds because congress didn't give him what he wanted we should all be as upset about this as any other infringement on the constitution.

Congress is the branch of government that decides on funding, not the executive branch.

This opens up a very large can of worms for the future.

Maybe the next Democratic president will declare a National emergency and take guns away.
How many "wars" have we fought since the end of the last war DECLARED by congress - otherwise known as WW2? It's a whole bunch by my count. And let's see we've had OVER 100,000 Americans killed and we've spent over 10 Trillion dollars on these undeclared wars. Wars that various presidents waged without ever obtaining a declaration of war from congress.

And you're upset about a POTUS scrounging around through a FOUR TRILLION dollar budget to squirrel away a few billion dollars to build a wall on the southern border? Or is it that Trump has designated this porous border a national emergency that bothers you? A border that everyone agrees can't stop the flow of illegal migrants, including criminals and all sorts of contraband, including drugs.

This is the constitutional "crisis" you're crying about? Seriously! And you're comparing this to a future president declaring an emergency and confiscating all our guns? So what individual right is Trump violating here as he redirects a couple of billion dollars to address a problem that he, as executive, has EVERY right to label an emergency?

I would argue that the much greater threat to our constitution is a congress that interferes in a President's ability to carry out his executive actions by withholding funding for purely political purposes. This is what you should be nervous about.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-14-19, 05:24 PM
JcksnPlrBrs2002 JcksnPlrBrs2002 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 10-29-18
Posts: 881
JcksnPlrBrs2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
How many "wars" have we fought since the end of the last war DECLARED by congress - otherwise known as WW2? It's a whole bunch by my count. And let's see we've had OVER 100,000 Americans killed and we've spent over 10 Trillion dollars on these undeclared wars. Wars that various presidents waged without ever obtaining a declaration of war from congress.

And you're upset about a POTUS scrounging around through a FOUR TRILLION dollar budget to squirrel away a few billion dollars to build a wall on the southern border? Or is it that Trump has designated this porous border a national emergency that bothers you? A border that everyone agrees can't stop the flow of illegal migrants, including criminals and all sorts of contraband, including drugs.

This is the constitutional "crisis" you're crying about? Seriously! And you're comparing this to a future president declaring an emergency and confiscating all our guns? So what individual right is Trump violating here as he redirects a couple of billion dollars to address a problem that he, as executive, has EVERY right to label an emergency?

I would argue that the much greater threat to our constitution is a congress that interferes in a President's ability to carry out his executive actions by withholding funding for purely political purposes. This is what you should be nervous about.
It's not the amount that's a dealbreaker. We don't want to spend even one thin dime on the stupid wall because it's stupid.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-14-19, 05:27 PM
BlueJayFan BlueJayFan is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-23-14
Posts: 5,920
BlueJayFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler View Post
Illegal immigration through our southern border is a national threat. If Trump declares it a national emergency it will be challenged all the way to the Supreme court. By the time it gets there, GOP will have a 6-3 advantage. Whether is passes or not who know but one this is for sure. Any socialist type of executive action will be overruled by this 6-3 advantage. Trump's legacy will be lasting for many years.
This did not answer the question.

I know you are foaming at the mouth for Ginsberg to die/step down, but don't count your chickens before they hatch.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-14-19, 05:29 PM
SWMCinci SWMCinci is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-20-07
Location: Outside of Ohio..... Now
Posts: 18,690
SWMCinci is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJayFan View Post
This did not answer the question.

I know you are foaming at the mouth for Ginsberg to die/step down, but don't count your chickens before they hatch.
Praying for an end to her suffering, and ours.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-14-19, 05:37 PM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 26,388
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JcksnPlrBrs2002 View Post
It's not the amount that's a dealbreaker. We don't want to spend even one thin dime on the stupid wall because it's stupid.
Hey you may be on to something JcksnPlrBrs that the deficit hawks have missed all these years. We should just cut everything out of the budget that we think is STUPID! That should reduce spending by at least 50%.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-14-19, 06:14 PM
Irwin20 Irwin20 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-14-11
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 3,710
Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
You guys know we are currently under 31 National Emergencies right? Can anyone name one of them?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-14-19, 06:19 PM
frecriss frecriss is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-10-03
Posts: 18,011
frecriss is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwin20 View Post
You guys know we are currently under 31 National Emergencies right? Can anyone name one of them?

None of them care because they were not declared by Trump. Their Trump Derangement Syndrome is at its peak right now.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-14-19, 06:20 PM
Gulliotine Gulliotine is online now
All World
 
Join Date: 02-26-08
Posts: 2,922
Gulliotine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJayFan View Post
This did not answer the question.

I know you are foaming at the mouth for Ginsberg to die/step down, but don't count your chickens before they hatch.
You understand 5-4 is just as good as 6-3?

The President wins here...easily.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
#LockHerUp: Ivanka used personal email for government business BlueJayFan Debate Forum 76 11-22-18 12:26 PM
Ohio Chapter of the National Wrestling Hall of Fame is set to induct the Class of 201 Refman Wrestling 0 10-01-18 11:12 AM
Trump and Putin Meeting in Helsinki Yappi Debate Forum 337 07-18-18 10:15 PM
Trump world Happygoluckky Debate Forum 109 04-12-18 09:45 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz