Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Kareem Hunt signed by Browns is...
Great move. Win at all costs. 20 60.61%
crazy because Kapernick is still out of the league but Hunt mught play again? 2 6.06%
disresctful to all victims of violence. 7 21.21%
dumb because we have Nick Chub 6 18.18%
enough for me to never watch the Browns again. 2 6.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-19, 10:53 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
If a truck driver or plumber shoved a woman and kicked her should he be able to work at his trade after the justice system is finished with him, or is that different?
If a truck driver fails two drug/alchol..tests, that driver is finished. Several others things can result in lifetime suspension. Doesn't mean he's not capable of driving. Just means no one trusts him to.

I'd suspect the same for a plumber.

NFL is an entertainment industry. There is nothing about that game resulting in those kind of salaries. If they cost advertiser appeal, they are fairly gone. While I certainly have no sympathies for the other person, this is his third incident. He had opportunity to learn the celebrity game and he was slow to do so. He's in the count the lucky stars tract now.
Old 02-12-19, 10:55 AM
All Region

NewJacketCity is on a distinguished road
I could have done without the signing, but there are valid points to be made on both sides.
1. There is never a time or place to assault a woman, and such a act deserves punishment.
2. People in most instances, do deserve a second chance to redeem themselves and make a wrong a right.

How much punishment is warranted? Where should the line be drawn? Those are valid questions that have to be answered. People who have an elite skill set get more benefit of the doubt when it comes to employment in any profession. It doesn't make it right, it's just the world we live in. There is a risk reward dynamic to any business decision made, be it big business or small, big dollar or small. The risk in this case is the public relations hit the team is taking and the major hit it will take if Hunt slips up and commits another crime against a woman. The potential reward, is adding a pro bowl caliber talent for the better part of 2 seasons on a rookie deal.

The bottom line is John Dorsey feels that Hunt can turn his life around and the reward could be great. I don't think celebrating any successes of Hunt from here on out legitimizes or condones what he did. Browns fans shouldn't have to feel guilty about rooting for him or the Browns who employ him. He's on our favorite team, but it wasn't our decision to sign him. That burden is on John Dorsey, the Haslams, and the Cleveland Browns.

I believe the kid deserves a second chance and I hope his work to rehabilitate himself and make better choices is successful. It's up to John Dorsey to decide the time and place for these kinds of decisions and if he feels like this is the right situation then I can't fault him.
Old 02-12-19, 10:57 AM
All World

bigkat is on a distinguished road
Poll question should ask....Great move....give the guy a second chance..
Old 02-12-19, 10:59 AM
All Ohio

James x2 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan23 View Post
At the end of the day, it's all about public perception. Hunt has never been charged with anything from the incident, so (legally) he didn't do anything wrong (I know there were other incidents being investigated, but until all details come out and/or charges are filed, they are irrelevant right now). If a normal guy kicks his GF in a hotel lobby and someone takes a video of it and shows their boss, they might get fired from that job, but nothing is preventing another company from hiring the person if they are qualified for the job (which Hunt clearly is). Clearly the woman isn't too concerned with filing charges from the incident. She probably wants to save face from the incident as well, because I'm sure she wasn't 100% innocent on this night either. I'm not condoning DV or what Hunt did, but both parties are at fault. We shouldn't judge an entire night and entire incident based on 60 seconds of footage from a hotel camera.
Thank you sir .A VOICE OF REASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-12-19, 11:00 AM
All World

bigkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
Abuse is never funny. Poor failed attempt. Is that a Catholic thing to minimize abuse?
actually they need a kicker...
Old 02-12-19, 11:04 AM
All Ohio

tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJacketCity View Post
The bottom line is John Dorsey feels that Hunt can turn his life around and the reward could be great. I don't think celebrating any successes of Hunt from here on out legitimizes or condones what he did. Browns fans shouldn't have to feel guilty about rooting for him or the Browns who employ him. He's on our favorite team, but it wasn't our decision to sign him. That burden is on John Dorsey, the Haslams, and the Cleveland Browns.

I believe the kid deserves a second chance and I hope his work to rehabilitate himself and make better choices is successful. It's up to John Dorsey to decide the time and place for these kinds of decisions and if he feels like this is the right situation then I can't fault him.
This is the best thing I've read in the last 24 hours about the situation. Thank you sir.
Old 02-12-19, 11:06 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
At the end of the day, it's all about public perception. Hunt has never been charged with anything from the incident, so (legally) he didn't do anything wrong (I know there were other incidents being investigated, but until all details come out and/or charges are filed, they are irrelevant right now). If a normal guy kicks his GF in a hotel lobby and someone takes a video of it and shows their boss, they might get fired from that job, but nothing is preventing another company from hiring the person if they are qualified for the job (which Hunt clearly is). Clearly the woman isn't too concerned with filing charges from the incident. She probably wants to save face from the incident as well, because I'm sure she wasn't 100% innocent on this night either. I'm not condoning DV or what Hunt did, but both parties are at fault. We shouldn't judge an entire night and entire incident based on 60 seconds of footage from a hotel camera.
According to the reports from witnesses she was supposedly banging on his door and creating a loud disturbance in the hallway for about 30 min at around 3am??She refused to leave.He was in his room minding his business.She took a swing at him when he emerged from his room and dropped the N -Bomb on him.That is how this started for the record.
Old 02-12-19, 11:07 AM
All American

mustang fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I could have done without the signing, but there are valid points to be made on both sides.
1. There is never a time or place to assault a woman, and such a act deserves punishment.
2. People in most instances, do deserve a second chance to redeem themselves and make a wrong a right.

How much punishment is warranted? Where should the line be drawn? Those are valid questions that have to be answered...
You make valid points (in my book anyway)...It will be interesting to see how Hunt conducts himself going forward and how much nonsense the Browns are wiling to tolerate regarding Hunt and his actions/behavior/attitude...It would seem that the Brown's tolerance bar for nonsense is set pretty high if Gordon is the standard. I figured somebody would take a chance on this schmuck...Just was hoping that it wouldn't be the Browns to stoop so low...But, I'm not all that surprised given the individuals involved
Old 02-12-19, 11:08 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by roberto21 View Post
You are aware that there are two other previous similar incidents under investigation by the NFL. He could still be looking at 2-10 game suspension according to Cleveland TB sports.
Similar in that he got into scuffles with humans that have penises ? You must mean something else......she didn't look like one of those people.....

Or a history of losing his temper when drinking ? Similar in that regard ?

Maybe the real issue here is his drinking ?
Old 02-12-19, 11:22 AM
All Region

NewJacketCity is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This is the best thing I've read in the last 24 hours about the situation. Thank you sir.
Thanks Tribe. It's volatile situation. I believe I could make a compelling argument on either side of this situation as to why he should or shouldn't have been signed. I think any level headed person would agree what he did was absolutely wrong and deserves punishment. I think most of people's problem with the signing are the following

1. Timing- The league's investigation isn't completed, he hasn't served any suspension time or discipline. Any time something like this happens people want their pound of flesh, they want the offenders to pay for their offenses. Because of the timing of the signing Hunt has already been rehired before paying for his wrong, which rubs many the wrong way.

2. Where the Browns currently stand when it comes to the talent on their roster, the case could easily be made that the Browns didn't "need" Kareem Hunt. The talent that the Browns already have on the roster in Nick Chubb and Duke Johnson would make signing Hunt, from a football standpoint, is an unnecessary luxury. Signing a guy who's done what he's done as an unnecessary luxury rubs many the wrong way.
Old 02-12-19, 11:43 AM
All American

my2sense is an unknown quantity at this point
https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...2&action=click
Old 02-12-19, 11:49 AM
All American

Same guy says this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James x2 View Post
This topic should be locked because unfortunately some here want to attack others who have differences in opinion.I come here to discuss and listen not argue and fight.
And this:
Quote:

Your name shows you have no sense at all.
Azzholes like yourself.
Your a typical internet tough guy that looks to start shyte.
Please learn to read and comprehend what I said.
You need a crowbar stuck in your azz
You are mentally handicapped
Your a dumb fugger for real
LOL
Old 02-12-19, 01:14 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Thanks Tribe. It's volatile situation. I believe I could make a compelling argument on either side of this situation as to why he should or shouldn't have been signed. I think any level headed person would agree what he did was absolutely wrong and deserves punishment. I think most of people's problem with the signing are the following

1. Timing- The league's investigation isn't completed, he hasn't served any suspension time or discipline. Any time something like this happens people want their pound of flesh, they want the offenders to pay for their offenses. Because of the timing of the signing Hunt has already been rehired before paying for his wrong, which rubs many the wrong way.

2. Where the Browns currently stand when it comes to the talent on their roster, the case could easily be made that the Browns didn't "need" Kareem Hunt. The talent that the Browns already have on the roster in Nick Chubb and Duke Johnson would make signing Hunt, from a football standpoint, is an unnecessary luxury. Signing a guy who's done what he's done as an unnecessary luxury rubs many the wrong way.
I guess my contraction to your second point is that although the Browns dont "need" Hunt, having running back depth is key to almost any winning football team. The Patriots proved you can never have enough depth by employing a 3 RB system quite well (and even had a pass catching back equivalent to Duke in White) to lead them through the playoffs and SB. Even the Rams had 2 featured back in Gurley and Anderson that switched on and off (mostly because of Gurley's injury). The point is that you can never have too much depth at RB since it is the position with the shortest shelf life and is arguably the most prone to injury.

Many of the same people were criticizing Dorsey for drafting Chubb a year ago because we just signed Carlos Hyde and had Duke on the roster. We all see how that worked out this year............

I do agree the timing is what everyone is upset about mostly. We just found out about this incident 3 months ago and he hasnt "served his time" yet for the incident. I am curious as to how the NFL handles this situation.

Dorsey here is the common denominator with the Browns signing Hunt. He took a chance on Hunt in the 3rd round a few years ago, who was a top rusher in a non power 5 conference, but wasnt well known nationally. The gamble paid off with the high powered chiefs offense over the last 2 year. With Dorsey taking over the Browns, this should have been seen coming a mile away.
Old 02-12-19, 03:36 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
I can't tell if you're just trying to be controversial or you're really this ignorant.

Sounds like you are saying that if your own sisters violated their upbringing and found themselves in a similar situation, they would get whatever abuse they deserve? Really?

Take a crowbar and try to pry this thought into your small brain: NO MATTER WHAT, NO WOMAN DESERVES TO BE PHYSICALLY ABUSED. EVER.
Can't tell if your reading comprehension is that bad or your in love with your way or the highway mentality.If you would take a midol and get over your hurt feelings and realize I have stated that the guy is an azzhole for what he did.Time to move on telling everyone what they should think and how they should feel.I don't condone men hitting women.I don't condone anybody looking to start trouble whether man or women.Waste of time to discuss this with you.Thats my2sense
Old 02-12-19, 09:17 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Or a history of losing his temper when drinking ? Maybe the real issue here is his drinking ?
Apparently he is receiving help for both those issues.

The league tends to take its time re-instating those who have been suspended. Dorsey may be looking more towards 2020 than next year.
Old 02-12-19, 09:26 PM
All American

Quote:
I think any level headed person would agree what he did was absolutely wrong and deserves punishment. I think most of people's problem with the signing are the following

1. Timing- The league's investigation isn't completed, he hasn't served any suspension time or discipline. Because of the timing of the signing Hunt has already been rehired before paying for his wrong, which rubs many the wrong way.

2. Where the Browns currently stand when it comes to the talent on their roster, the case could easily be made that the Browns didn't "need" Kareem Hunt. Signing a guy who's done what he's done as an unnecessary luxury rubs many the wrong way.
I would add a third that causes some concern: 31 other GMs could have done what Dorsey did but elected not to do so despite Hunt's abilities. That's a little troubling and sends the wrong message about the team's priorities.
Old 02-12-19, 09:30 PM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
If a truck driver fails two drug/alchol..tests, that driver is finished. Several others things can result in lifetime suspension. Doesn't mean he's not capable of driving. Just means no one trusts him to.

I'd suspect the same for a plumber.

NFL is an entertainment industry. There is nothing about that game resulting in those kind of salaries. If they cost advertiser appeal, they are fairly gone. While I certainly have no sympathies for the other person, this is his third incident. He had opportunity to learn the celebrity game and he was slow to do so. He's in the count the lucky stars tract now.
You don't answer my question. Doesn't really matter though.
Old 02-13-19, 11:31 AM
All American

Correction from previous post: Its not a DV. Its an assault. Additional cases being investigated are also assaults. Cumulative effects might change the outlook.
Old 02-13-19, 09:22 PM
All American

The guy shoving and kicking the young woman in the video will earn $645,000 next year plus $25,000 for every game he is listed on the active roster. Hopefully he will be OK.
Old 02-13-19, 10:07 PM
Junior Varsity

ThaXFactor is on a distinguished road
Was Hunt in the wrong for his actions in how he handled the situation? Yes. Does he deserve a second chance? Yes. If the kid from Steubenville got a second chance, then Hunt ABSOLUTELY does as well. If Hunt even sneezes the wrong way from here on out, should his career be over? Yes.

I never really studied the situation that much so I don't know what caused this incident to happen, other than drunken stupidity by Hunt AND the young woman, so if anyone can fill me in, that would be great. Obviously, Hunt has an anger issue that he needs to address.
Old 02-14-19, 07:36 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
The guy shoving and kicking the young woman in the video will earn $645,000 next year plus $25,000 for every game he is listed on the active roster. Hopefully he will be OK.
We get it, you dislike the guy. Move on.
Old 02-14-19, 09:56 AM
All Ohio

For Tha XFactor

Quote:
According to the reports from witnesses she was supposedly banging on his door and creating a loud disturbance in the hallway for about 30 min at around 3am??She refused to leave.He was in his room minding his business.She took a swing at him when he emerged from his room and dropped the N -Bomb on him.That is how this started for the record.
This will probably elicit a stern reprimand from the O.P. of this thread.But you asked and this is what was reported.Effed up for sure by both parties.If I would have been across the hallway the security would have been there after 5 min of that crap.

Last edited by James x2; 02-14-19 at 09:58 AM. Reason: add
Old 02-14-19, 10:15 AM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
To me it is problematic whenever you treat criminal cases with absolutes. Such a myopic approach ignores that there are different levels of assault and it ignores that there are different levels of remorse and culpability accepted by the defendant. Surely no one is saying that there is no difference between slapping someone once and beating someone half to death. But to "ban someone for life" treats these situations identically and ignores that there is a wide spectrum of conduct that defines ANY crime. Further, there are certainly different levels of acceptance of responsibility. There are the Ray Rice's of the world who absolutely stepped forward and did just about all anyone could ask to atone for his conduct. Certainly this was driven by dollar signs to a great extent, but he did fully accept responsibility for his actions nonetheless. On the other end of the spectrum there are the Greg Hardy's of the world who never accept responsibility and pay off the victim as a means of avoiding prosecution. I don't think anyone can look at those two incidents and feel that those two people should be looked upon equally. Now, where does Kareem Hunt fall on these spectrums? To me, it's far too early to tell. I don't necessarily feels he "deserves a second chance"; but he can earn that right through his actions from here on out. Get counselling for anger management, alcohol counselling as well, go to victims' meetings and listen first hand to what women who suffer from physical abuse deal with, don't EVER try to use the woman's conduct as an excuse for your own. It would help if the counselling began right after the incident occurred rather than right after it became public! Do these things and keep your nose clean, and then you can say you have earned a second chance in the NFL. But to say simply "ban him for life" is far too simplistic.
Old 02-14-19, 10:16 AM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
If CEO's the wealthy and political class can survive assault let alone minor assault then why not a kid who runs up and down a football field? Of course he should be punished like everyone else but these political statements are getting out of hand. He is a RB not POTUS.

6 month suspension, half a season, etc, but he should be able to play again at some point. If he screws up again then he is probably done.
Old 02-14-19, 11:04 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
You don't answer my question. Doesn't really matter though.
Yes, I did. It's different. Different rules and contracts but both must abide if they wish to make a living in that field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
If he screws up again then he is probably done.
It's actually already his third (known) "screw-up." Shouldn't have taken that many to get the message. Now hopefully he has. Even though NONE of them were at his instigation, he has to learn how to deal with situations he doesn't like without risking escalation or the kind of harm that can come from them. That's what the therapies are about I suppose, to change responses and to give a tool box of acceptable ways to extricate himself.
Old 02-14-19, 12:30 PM
All American

https://www.mlive.com/sports/2019/02...bine-sure.html

Fair question. NFL refusing to let a guy try out at the combine because an assault during his freshmen year of college.
Old 02-14-19, 08:18 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
https://www.mlive.com/sports/2019/02...bine-sure.html

Fair question. NFL refusing to let a guy try out at the combine because an assault during his freshmen year of college.

Refusing to let a guy try out because he was CONVICTED. Not a subtle difference, even if of subtle importance. Even this author throws out the "shoving and kicking a women," as if being a women grants special rights. The sex of the other combatant isn't the question. The conviction is.
Old 02-14-19, 09:35 PM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Apparently he is receiving help for both those issues.

The league tends to take its time re-instating those who have been suspended. Dorsey may be looking more towards 2020 than next year.
He's playing next year.
Old 02-14-19, 09:37 PM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I would add a third that causes some concern: 31 other GMs could have done what Dorsey did but elected not to do so despite Hunt's abilities. That's a little troubling and sends the wrong message about the team's priorities.
Dorsey originally drafted him, makes sense he'd be the guy giving him another chance.
Old 02-14-19, 10:03 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2h View Post
He's playing next year.
According to? You?Link?