Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-01-19, 01:55 PM
Varsity

Justice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCorps View Post
The gwoc is weak. SW Ohio, besides Moeller, is weak. Getting 2 victories in the tournament is nothing to write home about. CVille does alright with their pretty smart, arrogant approach.
Arrogant? Why is Centerville arrogant?Trotwood Madison, Wayne,Springfield, etc
Weak league? Down a bit perhaps but certainly one of the best leagues in Ohio.
Old 02-01-19, 01:57 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELK Strong View Post
Weak compared to who? Moeller lost by 2 in the state championship game last year, ranked #1 this year, and blowing out very good teams.
I would like to see the Elks win Districts this year. I am not sure they have enough overall size to go deeper. Elks will be much bigger next year and might be able to make a serious state title run in a couple years.
Agree
Old 02-01-19, 03:15 PM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye1689 View Post
Not to be a smart*** but Moeller won state last year. Two years ago they lost in the title game by 2. I imagine we will see them in the final four for the 3rd straight year

I disagree with Hardcorps, SWO might have the state champion in Division 1 and 2, not sure how that is "weak"
As a whole SWO is weak. Having the #1 team in the state doesn't make 2-32 awesome as well. One of the reasons why I like PA's basketball tournament over Ohio's. The top 32 teams (I believe its 32) are seeded regardless of region, or in their case district. Making the final two teams the truly best two teams in the state, or at least a hell of a lot closer to the best. Also makes for better matched up games throughout the tournament. With Ohio's setup the final 4 teams are just the best 4 from each region, not necessarily the best 4 in the state. One region could theoretically have the best 4 teams in it, but because only one can represent the region, 3 other lesser teams play in the final 4. In PA's setup, you could end up with Centerville vs Wayne, or Moeller vs LaSalle, or Mentor vs St Ed's, playing for the state title.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-19, 04:07 PM
All Yappi

catscatscats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_Cat View Post
As a whole SWO is weak. Having the #1 team in the state doesn't make 2-32 awesome as well. One of the reasons why I like PA's basketball tournament over Ohio's. The top 32 teams (I believe its 32) are seeded regardless of region, or in their case district. Making the final two teams the truly best two teams in the state, or at least a hell of a lot closer to the best. Also makes for better matched up games throughout the tournament. With Ohio's setup the final 4 teams are just the best 4 from each region, not necessarily the best 4 in the state. One region could theoretically have the best 4 teams in it, but because only one can represent the region, 3 other lesser teams play in the final 4. In PA's setup, you could end up with Centerville vs Wayne, or Moeller vs LaSalle, or Mentor vs St Ed's, playing for the state title.

So is their no divisions? Kinda odd to say 1-32 because for Ohio the 1 team could be in Cleveland and 32 could be in Cincinnati. Bit of a drive for a tournament game.
Old 02-01-19, 04:08 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Weak compared to who? Moeller lost by 2 in the state championship game last year, ranked #1 this year, and blowing out very good teams.
I would like to see the Elks win Districts this year. I am not sure they have enough overall size to go deeper. Elks will be much bigger next year and might be able to make a serious state title run in a couple years.
I agree Moeller has dominated pretty much entire state the last 3 years
Old 02-01-19, 04:37 PM
All Ohio

HardCorps is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Moe lost by 2, two years ago. Last year, they dominated. The gwoc is weak compared to the occ. Check out springfield’s record and where some of their losses are from. I am always a SW Ohio public school guy, but I do not see much potential this year, tourney wise.
Old 02-01-19, 04:38 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by catscatscats View Post
So is their no divisions? Kinda odd to say 1-32 because for Ohio the 1 team could be in Cleveland and 32 could be in Cincinnati. Bit of a drive for a tournament game.
There are 13 districts based on geography. Each district is granted a certain amount of state seeds based on the size of their district. So some may get 8 teams, others may get 1 or 2. Each district has their own playoffs and then their teams move on to the state tournament and are seeded based on how they finished in their district tournaments.

Last edited by Philly_Cat; 02-01-19 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-01-19, 04:55 PM
All World

Quote:
Since I brought it up I decided to look up last years tournament. This is their largest division's state tournament bracket. The 1st number by the team is their district, the 2nd is their district seed. Oddly enough, last year 2 teams from the same district played for the championship. And travel yes, is the one negative, and could be considered a pretty big negative. Lower seeds are going to be put on the opposite side of the state most times. But that also puts more pressure to perform even better in your district tournament, so you don't have to travel as much.

https://www.piaa.org/assets/web/docu...AB_BB_Brax.pdf

On another note, it also looks like they have gone from 4 divisions to 6 over the last 15 years. Not sure how much that has watered down the tournament, since I don't follow as much as I used to. Everyone didn't used to make the postseason. I believe it was just the top half. With it being 6 divisions now they might have expanded that to include everyone. I'd have to ask around.

Old 02-01-19, 04:59 PM
All World

On another another note (lol), look at those scores. Looks like the average game scores are in the 70's. Compare that to SWO's average scores in the 40s and 50s.

Old 02-01-19, 10:49 PM
All Ohio

ELK Strong is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Huge game tomorrow
8 in a row for the ELKS handing the Cats its first conference loss. Bring on Wayne!
Old 02-01-19, 11:29 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice View Post
I am sure there is pressure to talk during the games. Taking a team selfie in front of the opposing bench at Flyin’to the Hoop was different. I wonder if they did that to Springfield tonight.
Old 02-02-19, 03:04 AM
Varsity

Quote:
I am sure there is pressure to talk during the games. Taking a team selfie in front of the opposing bench at Flyin’to the Hoop was different. I wonder if they did that to Springfield tonight.
No, they just won the game & shook hands.
Old 02-02-19, 07:42 AM
Varsity

Talk some sense is on a distinguished road
Selfie?

Quote:
Lighten up Francis. Not a selfie. That was some kids having fun after a big win. Just happened to be they were asked to take the pic after the handshake line which was opposite their bench. Not like planting a flag at Ohio State midfield.
Old 02-02-19, 09:27 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
I agree Moeller has dominated pretty much entire state the last 3 years
Where is Raheim Moss going to college? I assume for BB, but he is a stud in both FB & BB. Great athlete
Old 02-02-19, 09:39 AM
All Region

dreamz7 is on a distinguished road
Did Moss get two Technical fouls?if so what the rule on ejections?
Old 02-02-19, 10:25 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk some sense View Post
Lighten up Francis. Not a selfie. That was some kids having fun after a big win. Just happened to be they were asked to take the pic after the handshake line which was opposite their bench. Not like planting a flag at Ohio State midfield.
Sure. Then have some fun with TM or Springfield. You sound like a Moeller mom.
Old 02-02-19, 10:35 AM
Varsity

Talk some sense is on a distinguished road
Got me

LOL. Thank you for your service by the way.
Old 02-02-19, 10:39 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamz7 View Post
1 tech at the end of the game after it was over. It looked like something he said to the refs.
Old 02-02-19, 10:51 AM
All Region

Quote:
1 tech at the end of the game after it was over. It looked like something he said to the refs.
I thought he also had one in early in the 3rd quarter.I was watching someone live feed from Facebook so I maybe wrong.

Last edited by dreamz7; 02-02-19 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Forgot info
Old 02-02-19, 11:09 AM
All Region

Quote:
I just watched the game on YouTube . He did pick up a tech in the 3rd as he shoved a Centerville player while running to help a teammate.

Last edited by dreamz7; 02-02-19 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 02-02-19, 11:11 AM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
1st half:

2nd half:
Old 02-02-19, 11:40 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamz7 View Post
He will be out today and Tuesday
Old 02-02-19, 12:03 PM
All Region

Quote:
He will be out today and Tuesday
Ok. Thanks
Old 02-02-19, 09:59 PM
All Ohio

9 in a row...
Old 02-02-19, 10:36 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk some sense View Post
LOL. Thank you for your service by the way.
It is all in good fun.

It was a total privilege. Thank you.
Old 02-03-19, 10:49 AM
All American

Zezzo! is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice View Post
Tell the whole story Justice, you just named three teams teams out of 18 that can compete with any team in Ohio in any given year. That doesn't make the conference one the best in Ohio. You still have Stebbins,Fairborn,West Carrollton,Miamisburg,Springboro,Lebanon,Northmont ,Beavercreek,Fairmont,Troy,Sidney,Butler,Tipp, and Greenville, that won't leave the Dayton area to play a game. Centerville will sometimes leave Dayton to play another team with the same demographics. I do like Cupps though.
Old 02-07-19, 06:19 PM
All Ohio

Elks make it 10 in a row over Fairmont barely. It looks like the Wayne game is for the GWOC title now. The Elks lack of 3 point shooting outside of Pearce and lack of overall size will likely knock the Elks out of the tourney this year. It almost cost them tonight

Last edited by ELK Strong; 02-08-19 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-08-19, 11:29 PM
All American

America is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Elks make it 10 in a row over Fairmont barely. It looks like the Wayne game is for the GWOC title now. The Elks lack of 3 point shooting outside of Pearce and lack of overall size will likely knock the Elks out of the tourney this year. It almost cost them tonight
Cupps always has his teams prepared. Fairmont mentally cannot get them past Centerville, or even Alter (this past year in December). Their staff lacks the discipline to finish teams off when they have more talent. Fairmont tends to always play well vs Centerville. Elks should have Fairmont's number the next several years to come.
Old 02-09-19, 12:03 AM
Freshman

fairmont93 is on a distinguished road
Are you kidding...Fairmonts sophomore and freshman class are loaded...
Old 02-09-19, 01:00 AM
All Yappi

Kyle_E_Woyote is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmont93 View Post
Are you kidding...Fairmonts sophomore and freshman class are loaded...
He said the Fairmont "staff" was lacking, not the talent at Fairmont. ~~~ Congrats to the ELKS on the big win tonight, and the 10 game winning streak!