Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-26-18, 07:41 PM
All District

fac974 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchoolDownthehill View Post
Some fake news here. First the freshmen qb at Padua is no longer there , he transferred. Carter did not kick to Long he pooch kicked it every time . Thirdly Chris Lorber did not fire Coach Bortnick , he wasn't the AD when he . left. The fact is no one has been fired at Benny lately. Ben Malbasa left for NDCL and Joe Schaef left for Maryland. Both there choices.
Who hired carter? Was it not Chris lorber. And does he or does he not have child hood connections to him?

Was carter the best choice? Has his record and lack of any playoff success shown he was the right hire?
Old 12-26-18, 08:30 PM
Junior Varsity

SchoolDownthehill is on a distinguished road
Carter is a very good football coach. The talent has not quite been there the last 3 years. The kids he's been responsible for bringing in will be sophs and juniors this year. Chris Lorber and Carter are not childhood friends Chris going to St Greg's and Carter South Euclid public.
Old 12-27-18, 11:59 AM
All District

TBone 22 is on a distinguished road
Way to much back & forth about Coach Welo. First off there was & is enough talent to at least make the playoffs. Secondly. Welo PO'ed multiple players & more importantly their parents causing quality athletes to transfer. Lastly. Watching the games live, the staff does not adjust to the situation. One example: Shaker Hts 48 seconds remaining & the team is not playing a defense that puts kids in place to be successful. The coaches did not adjust to the situation, creating a loss. Reading several posts on this blog, the 2019 team will be loaded. Will see what happens.
Old 12-28-18, 10:20 AM
Junior Varsity

You know absolutely nothing about those young men who transferred. None of the was po'ed. One left because his dad thought he should D 1 recruited. He left and is still not D1 recruited. Another left to improve his grades so he would become D1 eligible. The other moved to Twinsburg and his mom didn't want to pay tuition and commute from so far. Coach Well and staff are well liked and respected.
Old 12-28-18, 10:32 AM
All District

fac974 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
You know absolutely nothing about those young men who transferred. None of the was po'ed. One left because his dad thought he should D 1 recruited. He left and is still not D1 recruited. Another left to improve his grades so he would become D1 eligible. The other moved to Twinsburg and his mom didn't want to pay tuition and commute from so far. Coach Well and staff are well liked and respected.
The altercation between carter and some parents after the Padua game, by the Bene locker room tells a different story of how well he is liked and respected.
Old 12-28-18, 11:01 AM
Junior Varsity

There is ALWAYS a few parents that think that there kids are better than they are. This happens in EVERY sports program. It's always easier to call plays and coach from the stands( see Hue Jackson)
Old 12-28-18, 04:44 PM
All District

Quote:
Funny. But when I personally talked to the parents. They seemed a little angry with the coach. Just sayin.
Old 12-28-18, 05:01 PM
All American

hdvhsmgr is on a distinguished road
Can anyone confirm the games for Weeks 3, 4 and 5?
Old 12-28-18, 05:05 PM
Junior Varsity

What were they angry about there child didn't play enough minutes ? Maybe they were upset that we started 15 sophomores. Maybe these 50 young men working hard in the off-season are upset. There is a super attitude going on at Benny right now. A so called no it all like you will not stop these young men from succeeding.
Old 12-28-18, 09:57 PM
All District

Quote:
What were they angry about there child didn't play enough minutes ? Maybe they were upset that we started 15 sophomores. Maybe these 50 young men working hard in the off-season are upset. There is a super attitude going on at Benny right now. A so called no it all like you will not stop these young men from succeeding.
Uh, hate to tell you, but playing time was not close to the issue. One young man was team captain, the other was a D-1 recruit, the third could have done what he wanted. Stay or go. These 3 were not on the team last year. What does 15 sophomores have to do with it? They stay and you start 10 sophomores, maybe. It's great if this year's team is focused. From the posts I read, this years team should be good. We will see.
Old 12-29-18, 11:10 AM
Junior Varsity

You are clueless TBone ?
Old 12-31-18, 08:44 AM
Junior Varsity

Like I said before ,team Captain's dad thought that his son was a Div 1 player ,do he left to play both ways and be a star at another school . BTW He did not get offer of any kind. Div 1 recruit left to improve his grade at a public because he knew he couldn't do it at Benny. No 3 left to be with No 1 but didn't play much. Again repeat, and I'll be nice, You are clueless !!!
Old 12-31-18, 09:25 AM
All Region

E.S. Furgeson is on a distinguished road
Year 3 (I think) of a coaching Change. Fluctuating talent that seems to be trending upward. Tough but entertaining league. My advice....enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-18, 09:30 AM
All District

bengals wrestling is on a distinguished road
Schooldownthehill,

Keep on drinking.

Old 12-31-18, 10:07 AM
All District

I don't have a horse in this race, but as someone who has observed the football program over the last 10 years, I do have an opinion.

Benedictine football is not chicken little, the sky is not falling, as some on this and other threads have try to make it out to be.

Benedictine football is not Shangri La, its not perfect, as some of those who are looking through rose color glasses make it out to be.

Benedictine football is, as it has been for the last 45 years, a series of peaks and valleys and just like in marriage vows "in good times and bad". Lets ride out the bad years, enjoy the good and not squabble in between.
Old 12-31-18, 10:21 AM
Junior Varsity

Cool

Agreed on 2 out of 3 last posts. I don't drink Kool aid and I know of what I speak.
Old 12-31-18, 10:56 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals wrestling View Post
I don't have a horse in this race, but as someone who has observed the football program over the last 10 years, I do have an opinion.

Benedictine football is not chicken little, the sky is not falling, as some on this and other threads have try to make it out to be.

Benedictine football is not Shangri La, its not perfect, as some of those who are looking through rose color glasses make it out to be.

Benedictine football is, as it has been for the last 45 years, a series of peaks and valleys and just like in marriage vows "in good times and bad". Lets ride out the bad years, enjoy the good and not squabble in between.
This.

Since Bossu retired coaching has been a very mixed bag that has affected the success level of the program. As with any Catholic HS it is tough to hold on to a decent HC as the pay can never match what a good public district can offer or something at the NCAA level. Not to sound like a broken record but the Bossu's and Kylie's are a thing of the past and it will be tough to keep continuity in a program in this day and age and these peaks and valleys are very common for a catholic program.
Old 12-31-18, 12:10 PM
All District

Question for you Bengals football fans:

Would you rather:
A. Have 1 or 2 state titles every decade over the last 5 decades (7 titles total)
or
B. Have your 7 titles condensed into one decade and mediocre the other 4 decades?
Old 01-01-19, 10:26 AM
All Ohio

Findy15 is on a distinguished road
I've been reading these posts. Schooldownthehill you don't know the facts. You know what's brewing on the surface, but there's more to the story. Winning at the high school level is not easy. Everything needs to fall into place. In today's game first off you need the Jimmy's & Joe's, you need to be able to adjust weekly as a coaching staff, multiple looks from the defense & the offense from week to week are key. If you can't adjust you shouldn't be coaching at the high school level. When your better players are transferring, it makes it tough to win. No matter what the reason is that they left. Benedictine is a good school. It's hard not to look back at past successes. We all must move forward. You can't change the past, but you can control the future. Good Luck this season. If I had my choice I would prefer to have consistency. The big swings are not good. Every 10 years the team goes on a 4 year roll, then falls below mediocre. It would be nice if the football team could win 7 games yearly, then have those 4 years of greatness. Losing 5 plus games a year is not fun for anyone. If there is at least a chance of the playoffs, yearly, it makes everything better.
Old 01-01-19, 10:35 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
This.

Since Bossu retired coaching has been a very mixed bag that has affected the success level of the program. As with any Catholic HS it is tough to hold on to a decent HC as the pay can never match what a good public district can offer or something at the NCAA level. Not to sound like a broken record but the Bossu's and Kylie's are a thing of the past and it will be tough to keep continuity in a program in this day and age and these peaks and valleys are very common for a catholic program.
Sorry but I disagree. Ignatius, St Ed's, Cardinal Moony, Bishop Alter, Elder, Moeller, St X don't have the peaks & valley's. They're always in the hunt. That's all we can ask for. The swings at Benedictine should never happen. The team should be at least competitive year in & year out.
Old 01-01-19, 01:22 PM
All Region

E.S. Furgeson is on a distinguished road
Cardinal Mooney was 4-6 this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-02-19, 10:09 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Findy15 View Post
Sorry but I disagree. Ignatius, St Ed's, Cardinal Moony, Bishop Alter, Elder, Moeller, St X don't have the peaks & valley's. They're always in the hunt. That's all we can ask for. The swings at Benedictine should never happen. The team should be at least competitive year in & year out.
Someone needs to research the above teams past 10 year track record to see what there average season W total is and how many titles they have won. Just guessing but I think the valleys for some of these school maybe are not quite as deep as Benny's but they are there. Those Div I teams will usually be in the playoffs too because half of every Region gets in under the new set up but many do this as a .500 team and then get bounced in the 1st round. But while throwing out those Catholic state power names we should also look at schools closer to the size of Benny that are considered above average and look at how have they done in the past 10 years too. Lake Catholic, Walsh, Columbus DeSales, and Watterson are past state champs that fit the same profile as Benny and would be better to compare. Hoban & Tol CC are in their golden eras with dynamic Head Coaches bringing in talent in a dubious manner, not sure that is what Benny alums would want in this program.
Old 01-02-19, 02:56 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Someone needs to research the above teams past 10 year track record to see what there average season W total is and how many titles they have won. Just guessing but I think the valleys for some of these school maybe are not quite as deep as Benny's but they are there. Those Div I teams will usually be in the playoffs too because half of every Region gets in under the new set up but many do this as a .500 team and then get bounced in the 1st round. But while throwing out those Catholic state power names we should also look at schools closer to the size of Benny that are considered above average and look at how have they done in the past 10 years too. Lake Catholic, Walsh, Columbus DeSales, and Watterson are past state champs that fit the same profile as Benny and would be better to compare. Hoban & Tol CC are in their golden eras with dynamic Head Coaches bringing in talent in a dubious manner, not sure that is what Benny alums would want in this program.
I get what you're saying. I guess I expect the team to be at least 6-4 every year? Lake Catholic has been going through their issues but always seem to be 6-4/7-3 year in and year out. Walsh shot themselves in the foot. DeSales & Watterson are limited on who they can recruit to the schools by the Columbus diocese. I can see them roller coasting year to year. Benedictine does not have that issue. Hoban currently owns the Akron area, you mentioned why. I have no idea why TCC is on a roll, but they have been for the last 7 years. Many Benny alums assimilate Benedictine with Ignatius, as far as athletics. I think that 15-20 years ago there was some validity to this. Not so much in 2019. Moving forward there needs to be increased focus & support to create consistency year in & year out.
Old 01-02-19, 03:33 PM
Junior Varsity

We need to relax and let our people do there thing. To I'm T at Hoban is a GREAT recruiter. His current QB is from Austintown which is almost an hour drive every day. Alot of there non-skill and linemen are from North Canton, Green and Uniontown. Stow, Cuyahoga Falls and Hudson are in his wheelhouse as well. We beat them in freshmen football this year so maybe we are catching up.
Old 01-02-19, 03:37 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Here is the last 10 years combined at the schools I mentioned;
Alter by far is the best 92-7-1
St Ed's 78-19
St Ignatius 73-25
Moeller 70-30
St Xavier 64-35
Elder 59-39
Every team on the list had 1, except Alter & St X, losing season. Worst being Elder 2012/7-3,[I] 2011/2-8 2010/4-5, 2009/7-2
Alter is a powerhouse. I didn't know this until I checked the stats. 8 of the 10 seasons at 10-0 or 9-1. 1 season 8-2. 1 season 8-1-1.
Old 01-02-19, 07:12 PM
Junior Varsity

We would have had a longer winning situation if it wasn't for Joe Laffey leaving. That put us back a few years. In the Bossu days there are periods of bad seasons , sometimes two or three in a row.
Old 01-02-19, 08:25 PM
All Ohio

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
We need to relax and let our people do there thing. To I'm T at Hoban is a GREAT recruiter. His current QB is from Austintown which is almost an hour drive every day. Alot of there non-skill and linemen are from North Canton, Green and Uniontown. Stow, Cuyahoga Falls and Hudson are in his wheelhouse as well. We beat them in freshmen football this year so maybe we are catching up.
Current QB sought Hoban out, not vice versa. He also visited St Edís but It was too far. He also played AAU football in Cleveland and went to camps all over the country. He was never going to Austintown. His parents saw the opportunity at Hoban with the graduation of DC, 2 time state champ QB. Void was there. You are incorrect on naming schools where players (who actually play) come from. Stow, Hudson, Uniontown and NC do not have any players who contributed over past 3-4 years. Cuyahoga Falls has 1-2. Green had 1-2 and Portage county had several due to failing programs there. Majority came from Akron Publics and privateís. Coach T and his staff are great coaches and motivators as well. Also professional strength coach on staff for past 4 years and upgraded facilities. All come into play.
Old 01-02-19, 11:56 PM
All Ohio

Not sure why you would be discussing where Hoban recruits from? It's pointless. Joe Laffey was the O-coordinator. Joe Shafer was the Head Coach. Coach Bossu is not the person you want to compare any of the current issues to. Ever. Like I said before schooldownthehill, you don't know the facts. You only know what's on the surface.
Old 01-03-19, 09:34 AM
Junior Varsity

I do know the facts. I know more then you'll EVER know. BTW. Coach Laffey was Admissions Director and then left in the middle of bringing in kids. We lost many good kids.
Old 01-03-19, 10:02 AM
Junior Varsity

Also BTW. State Champs 70's 80's 90's 00's and 10's. That I'd say is amazing staying power.