Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-05-19, 04:08 PM
All Ohio

cchs1983 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
^ I was able to watch the replay of this game and I must say it was on of the better games I have seen over the past 4 years or so. CCHS is vastly improved under Coach Floyd. They do some really nice things and presented Stritch some problems in terms of pressure.

Stritch's big three came to play in Burton, Holifield, and Anderson. Playoff type atmosphere and pressure can only be beneficial down the road for the Cardinals.

I started thinking about it and I do not think Stritch has beaten one of the Big 3 Catholic schools since defeating CC back in the late 80's - I believe the 1988 Tom Herman and Tom Patterson led Cardinal's who were members of the TCL at the time.

So the Blade does a front page cover story of CC trashing a weak Waite team earlier this week but cannot cover the best game in the area last night even though BCSN was in attendance? Odd.
Fun atmosphere last night and both teams will benefit long term playing this game.

Is it way way way to early anticipating a CS versus Genoa district final?
Old 01-06-19, 12:07 PM
Varsity

Fayette 79 is on a distinguished road
I see Stryker beat TC last night. Surprised by this result. TC beats Stritch, Stritch beats Central and now Stryker pulls this upset.

Going to be a fun rest of the season...you just never know.
Old 01-06-19, 12:51 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Some good basketball in that little corner. Any real reason to call it an "upset?"
Old 01-06-19, 02:27 PM
All World

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchs1983 View Post
Fun atmosphere last night and both teams will benefit long term playing this game.

Is it way way way to early anticipating a CS versus Genoa district final?
If it is I do not care. I'm anticipating it.

Does Overton play football? That kid some burst and speed. I would sure hate to have defend him at WR on a go route.
Old 01-06-19, 02:36 PM
Varsity

Smile

It is a shame we couldn't have Stritch, Genoa, Ottawa Glandorf, and Archbold in the same Regional. How much fun would that be? Wow! Back to reality...Genoa/Stritch should be a great District Final barring any upsets.
Old 01-06-19, 02:39 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
If it is I do not care. I'm anticipating it.

Does Overton play football? That kid some burst and speed. I would sure hate to have defend him at WR on a go route.
Yes, Overton plays football and with all those seniors graduating he’ll get plenty of looks in the fall.
Old 01-06-19, 09:21 PM
All Ohio

Smalls is on a distinguished road
Central is going to be a tough out and will keep improving. They are big, strong, deep and athletic. As they continue to learn their new system and get fully into basketball mode I expect them to knock off teams at the top of the TRAC.

Stritch still has some development that needs to take place with some of the less experienced guys, but a couple stats I heard on the replay that will keep them in most games; average just under 10 turnovers per game and shoot 78% from the foul line as a team.

I had not seen them struggle vs the press prior to the last 1:30 of the 4th quarter vs Central. Too bad the teams can't practice together.

Last edited by Smalls; 01-06-19 at 10:15 PM.
Old 01-07-19, 10:11 AM
Varsity

D1nwobb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Some good basketball in that little corner. Any real reason to call it an "upset?"
Buckeye Border Conference teams usually aren't very strong (one district title in the past 18 seasons).

Stryker has a nice team this year with some size and a lot of experience. Having seen both TC and Stryker this year, I figured it would be close since it was at Stryker but still a little surprised that TC lost.
Old 01-07-19, 06:19 PM
Varsity

Stritch is tied for 14th in D3 in the first AP poll. Maumee Valley 6th & Toledo Christian 22nd in D4.

Last edited by D1nwobb; 01-08-19 at 07:31 AM.
Old 01-08-19, 09:45 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
Central is going to be a tough out and will keep improving. They are big, strong, deep and athletic. As they continue to learn their new system and get fully into basketball mode I expect them to knock off teams at the top of the TRAC.

Stritch still has some development that needs to take place with some of the less experienced guys, but a couple stats I heard on the replay that will keep them in most games; average just under 10 turnovers per game and shoot 78% from the foul line as a team.

I had not seen them struggle vs the press prior to the last 1:30 of the 4th quarter vs Central. Too bad the teams can't practice together.
So true, almost got Whitmer tonight.
Old 01-09-19, 06:42 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
It was nice of CCHS to give Floyd a resting spot until H retires, or wears out his shoe.
Old 01-09-19, 08:43 AM
All Ohio

Stritch beat Ottawa Hills 69-54. They were up 39-12 2 minutes into the 3rd quarter, but stopped playing defense from that point on.

Cummings for Ottawa Hills will be a very good small college basketball player. Great hands and feet, patient in the post and can shoot from about 15 ft and in.
Old 01-09-19, 11:42 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
It was nice of CCHS to give Floyd a resting spot until H retires, or wears out his shoe.
Pretty sure H has his replacement chosen.
Old 01-12-19, 12:15 PM
All Ohio

Stritch won vs Jones Academy. The game replaced the McComb game that was cancelled because of their football run.

Not much gained from the actual game but was good to see them playing loose. Stritch had a stretch of 5 dunks (6 for the game) in 7 possessions to start the 2nd quarter, most of them in traffic on wrap around passes. Missed 2 other dunks that they tried to jump over the defender and got fouled and another on a back door lob.

A fan favorite also got his 1st varsity points.

Game meant nothing but good to see them having fun after a pretty tough stretch of games.
Old 01-15-19, 10:04 AM
All Ohio

Looking forward to a good game between Maumee Valley (D4 #6 AP) and Stritch (D3 #12 AP) Friday @ BGSU Stroh Center.

Here are a few numbers that probably mean nothing.

Maumee Valley (8-2)

D3 Belpre (6-8) W
D3 Wellington (6-6) W
D4 Edon (3-8) W
D4 Toledo Christian (7-2) W
D3 Northwood (4-7) W
D1 Southview (5-5) L
D1 Rogers (6-7) W
D1 Farmington, MI (6-3) L
D4 Emmanual Christian (5-5) W
D4 Montpelier (2-10) W

Opponents record 50-61

Points/game 77.0
Points/game against 51.9
Ave Margin 25.1

Cardinal Stritch 10-2

D1 Waite (1-10) W
D3 Erie Mason (7-2) W
D1 Bedford (3-6) W
D3 Evergreen (9-1) W
D4 Emmanuel Christian (5-5) W
D4 Toledo Christian (7-2) L
D1 Collins, KY (14-4) W **#9 AP poll in Kentucky
D1 Stewarts Creek, TN (10-10) W
D1 Blackman, TN (14-4) L
D1 Central Catholic (7-4) W
D4 Ottawa Hills (5-3) W
D4 Jones Academy (2-7) W

Opponents record 84-58

Points/game 68.8
Points/game against 48.4
Ave Margin 20.3

Line is Maumee Valley -3.5 since they beat TC .

Maumee Valley has Ottawa Hills tonight and Leipsic Sat.
Cardinal Stitch has Northwood tonight and Marion Local (D4 #5 AP) @ Flying to the Hoop on MLK Day.

Last edited by Smalls; 01-15-19 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-15-19, 09:55 PM
Varsity

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
Looking forward to a good game between Maumee Valley (D4 #6 AP) and Stritch (D3 #12 AP) Friday @ BGSU Stroh Center.

Here are a few numbers that probably mean nothing.

Maumee Valley (8-2)

D3 Belpre (6-8) W
D3 Wellington (6-6) W
D4 Edon (3-8) W
D4 Toledo Christian (7-2) W
D3 Northwood (4-7) W
D1 Southview (5-5) L
D1 Rogers (6-7) W
D1 Farmington, MI (6-3) L
D4 Emmanual Christian (5-5) W
D4 Montpelier (2-10) W

Opponents record 50-61

Points/game 77.0
Points/game against 51.9
Ave Margin 25.1

Cardinal Stritch 10-2

D1 Waite (1-10) W
D3 Erie Mason (7-2) W
D1 Bedford (3-6) W
D3 Evergreen (9-1) W
D4 Emmanuel Christian (5-5) W
D4 Toledo Christian (7-2) L
D1 Collins, KY (14-4) W **#9 AP poll in Kentucky
D1 Stewarts Creek, TN (10-10) W
D1 Blackman, TN (14-4) L
D1 Central Catholic (7-4) W
D4 Ottawa Hills (5-3) W
D4 Jones Academy (2-7) W

Opponents record 84-58

Points/game 68.8
Points/game against 48.4
Ave Margin 20.3

Line is Maumee Valley -3.5 since they beat TC .

Maumee Valley has Ottawa Hills tonight and Leipsic Sat.
Cardinal Stitch has Northwood tonight and Marion Local (D4 #5 AP) @ Flying to the Hoop on MLK Day.
Looks like the line shifted tonight .
Old 01-15-19, 10:15 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1nwobb View Post
Looks like the line shifted tonight .
True. We will call it even. Didn't see Ottawa Hills with the upset.
Old 01-19-19, 10:16 AM
All Ohio

Toledo Christian over Ottawa Hills and Cardinal Stritch over Maumee Valley. Will be a tight race to the end of the season.

Stritch played at a high level in all aspects of the game in a 80-49 win. They shot 66% from the field with only 6 turnovers and held MV to 25 points below their average.

Last edited by Smalls; 01-19-19 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-19-19, 01:40 PM
All World

Stritch looked like a team that has played a big boy schedule and MVCD did not. It looked like men playing boys. The decision to run with Stritch on a big floor was a MVCD mistake. I expect MVCD will only get better and the next match-up to be closer (on a smaller floor).

66% from the floor is unreal at any level.

Someone is going to get a steal of a deal on Little Anderson at the next level. His game is getting really polished. Did I hear the announcers right? Started playing basketball as a freshman? Wow. Quick study.
Old 01-22-19, 04:57 PM
Junior Varsity

T-town is on a distinguished road
MVCDS missed the seniors they had last year, no size and their 4 & 5 had problems finishing over CS height when they were on the floor. Also MV had to give up over 50 pts in the paint no rim protection at all. Jackson seemed disinterested or beat down or something really a lackluster game by him, CS employed traps to get the ball out of his hands but he didn't really try to do much else. Holifield is a good defender but remember this is D4 and D3 , what is he going to do going against D1 kids.

Little has improved so much from freshman year player well. CS lost to Marioni Local on last minute shot in tournament over the weekend. Marion Local won D4 state tournament last year great game.
Old 01-22-19, 06:47 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-town View Post
MVCDS missed the seniors they had last year, no size and their 4 & 5 had problems finishing over CS height when they were on the floor. Also MV had to give up over 50 pts in the paint no rim protection at all. Jackson seemed disinterested or beat down or something really a lackluster game by him, CS employed traps to get the ball out of his hands but he didn't really try to do much else. Holifield is a good defender but remember this is D4 and D3 , what is he going to do going against D1 kids.

Little has improved so much from freshman year player well. CS lost to Marioni Local on last minute shot in tournament over the weekend. Marion Local won D4 state tournament last year great game.
Holifield looked pretty good shutting down the UM verbal commit.
Old 01-23-19, 08:52 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Holifield looked pretty good shutting down the UM verbal commit.
Agree, Holifield is as good of a defender as I have seen in a long time. What really opened my eyes was watching him shut down (held to under 10 points) Keion Brooks this summer. Brooks is a 6'7"-6'8" five star player who can score at all 3 levels. He has narrowed his school choices to Kentucky, North Carolina, Michigan State and Indiana......and yes he was trying and showing a lot of frustration.

Joey got a lot more explosive this summer, I watched him do two hand 360's with ease. He had a back injury early in the year and is still trying to get that explosiveness back.

I don't think I am giving anything away here, but it is an interesting dynamic with Stritch (which they have handled well), because they have a lot of capable scorers. Most of their plays are designed to isolate mismatches on the dribble drive to the rim or a single pass to a shooter. Not a lot of off ball movement, swing passes, cuts or post ups. It becomes pick your poison when defending them. They determine who they think they can take off the dribble or try to get in foul trouble and keep going at him. With quality guys around him his shots are somewhat limited compared to most D1 players and dependent on who they are trying to take advantage of.

He is a good player, great teammate and tireless worker who will do all the little things and dirty work that a lot of top guys don't like to do. Wherever he ends up will be thrilled to have him.

Last edited by Smalls; 01-23-19 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-23-19, 10:22 AM
All District

BacktoBack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Someone is going to get a steal of a deal on Little Anderson at the next level. His game is getting really polished. Did I hear the announcers right? Started playing basketball as a freshman? Wow. Quick study.
I would like to hear what his recruiting situation is like. At present, I'm sure he is a D2 or D3 level kid. But his level of athleticism and demonstrated work ethic makes me wonder just how high a level he will be able to play at. Makes me think that with JUCO, the sky could be the limit.
Old 01-23-19, 12:24 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBack View Post
I would like to hear what his recruiting situation is like. At present, I'm sure he is a D2 or D3 level kid. But his level of athleticism and demonstrated work ethic makes me wonder just how high a level he will be able to play at. Makes me think that with JUCO, the sky could be the limit.
I know Purdue Fort Wayne (offered Holifield) showed some interest in Anderson at the D1 level.

D2 interest from Lake Erie, Urbana, Tiffin and Wayne St. has not resulted in an offer yet. There may be others but that is what I have heard so far.

He has a ton of D3 interest, with one of the schools putting a package together (grades 3.7+ GPA/grants) that would be hard to top at any level.
Old 01-23-19, 12:50 PM
All Yappi

With those kind of grades, if the athletic scholly school of choice doesn't come, if testing follows he could risk a walk-on, perhaps a shirt at a DI. Gives him more opportunity to pick his major. Should be a fun story to follow.
Old 01-26-19, 11:51 AM
All World

Watched TC hang with MVCD until the bitter end.

I know it has been talked about quite a bit on here but I love watching a McWhinnie coached team. The Eagles have zero business playing with MVCD talent yet there they are running their patient half court offense and stingy zone.

It is interesting to watch teams like TC and many Western Ohio teams run these slow down 8 passes per possession offenses. In a world without a shot clock you can see the frustration on the faces of any opponent who has essentially played fast break AAU since the age of 9. Kids unaccustomed get flustered that they are not scoring and get lazy on defense because they do not have the patience. It is like watching a good pitcher dominate good hitting.
Old 01-26-19, 12:15 PM
All Ohio

^^^spot on.
Old 01-26-19, 12:34 PM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Watched TC hang with MVCD until the bitter end.

I know it has been talked about quite a bit on here but I love watching a McWhinnie coached team. The Eagles have zero business playing with MVCD talent yet there they are running their patient half court offense and stingy zone.

It is interesting to watch teams like TC and many Western Ohio teams run these slow down 8 passes per possession offenses. In a world without a shot clock you can see the frustration on the faces of any opponent who has essentially played fast break AAU since the age of 9. Kids unaccustomed get flustered that they are not scoring and get lazy on defense because they do not have the patience. It is like watching a good pitcher dominate good hitting.
I'm not sure if it's a "patient" half court offense...or it's just because they don't have anyone to score. Not talking specifically about TC, but in general NW Ohio teams have a serious lack of offense this season. I've never seen so many games that are ending up with both teams in the 40's. Yes, I agree that some of it is likely good defense, but I'm thinking that the the proliferation of AAU ball all summer is making it harder for kids to play offense during the HS season when the other team at least makes an effort to play defense, which obviously isn't a problem in AAU. The bigger AAU gets, the worse HS ball has gotten....and I don't think that's a coincidence.
Old 01-26-19, 12:43 PM
Varsity

^^^What He Said^^^
Old 01-26-19, 01:10 PM
All Yappi

No, not what he said.

Offense is not 40 pts or 80 pts, it shooting percentage, end of story. What are the shooting percentages of those teems in the 40s?

and I also think there is a lot of good'ol boy memory because I recall some pretty bad shooting from some REALLY good players and teams in the 70s. That's why they'd take their superior teams out to the Elida's and get the butts handed to them.

AAU has it's effect I'm sure but I'm not close to buying in that the game is worse than it was back when we came to the game by buggy. I recall distinctly state level teams running up and down the court and jacking it. Not following shots for rebounds.... They were kids then and they are kids now. The coaches were not better then.