Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-17-18, 03:51 PM
All Region

boater is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayette 79 View Post
I see the Tournament assignments came out...Stritch and Evergreen should battle it out at Central Catholic for that District Title.

Archbold was sent South and will be in a District with Coldwater, Liberty Benton, and Ottawa Glandorf. Meat Grinder for sure!
Ottawa -Glandorf is playing real well right now - The meat of their schedule will be determined in Mid January thru Mid February - they have Findlay, Columbus Afrencentric, Lexington, Wapak, Celina & Defiance to deal with in the months stretch.
I wish they could get Central Catholic, St Francis or other TRAC schools scheduled. Lima Senior - it appears is not on the schedule this year and was replaced by Afrencentric - who is coached by a Toledo guy Micheal Bates - son of Libbey coach Leroy Bates.
Old 12-17-18, 04:00 PM
Varsity

D1nwobb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by boater View Post
Ottawa -Glandorf is playing real well right now - The meat of their schedule will be determined in Mid January thru Mid February - they have Findlay, Columbus Afrencentric, Lexington, Wapak, Celina & Defiance to deal with in the months stretch.
I wish they could get Central Catholic, St Francis or other TRAC schools scheduled. Lima Senior - it appears is not on the schedule this year and was replaced by Afrencentric - who is coached by a Toledo guy Micheal Bates - son of Libbey coach Leroy Bates.
O-G plays at Lima Senior on January 19.
Old 12-17-18, 04:06 PM
All Region

boater is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by D1nwobb View Post
O-G plays at Lima Senior on January 19.
Well that made the stretch even tighter that I mentioned -- I didn't see it when I checked - but glad they still are - always a great basketball game - with a great crowd! Thanks for the correction - I won't rely on that MaxPreps calendar- this weekend's contest with Archbold ought to be a good one as well.
Old 12-19-18, 09:59 AM
All Ohio

Smalls is on a distinguished road
Cardinal Stritch @ Toledo Christian on Saturday should be a good game. They are pre-selling tickets, so it will be sold out.

TC has solid ball handlers, shooters and are always a disciplined team. Key for TC is to limit turnovers and defensive rebounding.

Key for Stritch will be shot selection, which has been good so far this year.
Old 12-23-18, 08:53 AM
All World

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
What happened at TC? Stritch not show? TC play up? I saw halftime stats and you'd a thought this one was over. I saw the end result on BCSN and you'd a thought McWhinnie and his players won the Super Bowl.
Old 12-23-18, 09:55 AM
Varsity

Fayette 79 is on a distinguished road
Couple of surprises last night in D3...I know TC is good but did not see them beating Stritch. I agree with Irish Buffalo...what happened in that one?

Then Archbold knocking off OG was a stunner as well. OG was up 11-13 at one point in 2nd half and then just quit attacking the basket...Streaks kept chipping away and hit 2 FT's with 1.3 seconds left to win it.
Old 12-23-18, 08:05 PM
Junior Varsity

T-town is on a distinguished road
CS started strong, knocked down some perimeter shots against TC's zone, but second half was a complete reverse. I have said it once and I will say it again. McWhinnie is a one helluva coach. They had MV on the ropes last week and counldn't close. They learned from that.

CS was up 27-18 at half and then went on to score 14 pts total in the second half. Surprisingly CS had trouble containing TC off the dribble and gave up multiple drives to the paint in the 2nd half. Also for CS to have a distinct height advantage they couldn't control the boards.

TC came to play made CS play half court and didnt allow them to get out and run. I am sure Coach K will have them ready for next time.
Old 12-24-18, 12:16 PM
All Ohio

1st half when TC got the matchup they liked and drove the lane they were missing their shots trying to shoot over Stritch's length. They also struggled with the press.

3rd quarter was a mess for Stritch. Only 10 turnovers for the game, but had 4 turnovers in the 1st 5 possessions of the quarter. TC repeatedly took advantage of miss matches in the pick and roll and Stritch didn't have anyone protecting the rim.

Once TC got back into the game it stalled out. Stritch wasn't able to create any offense from their defense.

Stritch was up 4 with about 3:00 to go and up 1 with about 2:00 to go and took open 3's that didn't fall.

Stritch shot 2 for 6 in the 3rd and 2 for 5 in the 4th.

They will learn from their mistakes.
Old 12-24-18, 12:28 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
1st half when TC got the matchup they liked and drove the lane they were missing their shots trying to shoot over Stritch's length. They also struggled with the press.

3rd quarter was a mess for Stritch. Only 10 turnovers for the game, but had 4 turnovers in the 1st 5 possessions of the quarter. TC repeatedly took advantage of miss matches in the pick and roll and Stritch didn't have anyone protecting the rim.

Once TC got back into the game it stalled out. Stritch wasn't able to create any offense from their defense.

Stritch was up 4 with about 3:00 to go and up 1 with about 2:00 to go and took open 3's that didn't fall.

Stritch shot 2 for 6 in the 3rd and 2 for 5 in the 4th.

They will learn from their mistakes.
I finally watched the entire game. Really odd. Stritch is definitely the better of the two teams. It was clearly one of those games where Stritch started to feel pressure (in the score) and TC started to play out of their butts (61% shooting?). Nonetheless, I am still confused why Stritch will not use their height? Even without scoring the two big men run the floor well and offer trouble to anyone attempting to score in the paint. The other thing I'd say is Holifield needs to be the PG with Burton as SG. Burton can really light it up but he needs to learn to let the game come to him rather than forcing. CS has way too much team talent for one guy to force in order to "get his". Anderson and more so Holifield are the opposite. You want Holifield to take over and he at times plays timid. Too much team talent to be playing for deep jumpers and 3's with the game on the line. With all the talent Stritch has I want Anderson attacking the rim if the game is on the line. Of the 3 things that can happen 2 of them are good (he scores or is fouled which he is excellent at drawing, the two 6'6 kids clean up, or the ball goes the other way). No excuse playing small IMO. Having 4 guys standing around the three point line watching with a hand up is bad basketball.

I know Stritch upped the schedule but they did not up it enough. Cruising to victories over far less talented teams creates really bad habits in players and coaches. You can play poorly and do unsound things and yet cruise to wins and everyone is happy.

Sometimes these games are a necessary evil but to be honest TC has no business beating the Cardinals.

Hopefully this game is a wake-up call.
Old 12-25-18, 04:15 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
I didn't see the struggles with the press that Smalls saw. Maybe one turnover, Anderson mostly led the mid-court press and I think he got one of the cross-courts?

TC put 7 ball-handlers on the floor, several who are not shy to shoot off the dribble. They had quick first steps with the ball. CS' posts on the other hand, were gasping. Some of the shooting mechanics of even the high recruits... well ok, not an expert but still having an opinion..

TC is not unskilled. Though young, they seem to me to have belonged in this game on talent alone. As a team, they move nicely off the ball and move the ball well. As IB mentioned though and I agree, their game against top teams will depend upon their shooting percentage.
Old 12-25-18, 09:49 PM
All Ohio

I agree that the press didn't create turnovers, but it did create quicker shots and more possessions. By my count TC scored on 3 of the 11 possessions that CS pressed in the 1st half.

By all means TC belongs on the floor with CS.

What hurt Stritch was over half of their offensive possessions resulted in a 3 point shot. That is by no means their strength or how they have been playing over the last 4+ years.

It is rare that they don't shoot 20+ foul shots because of how well they get into seams and offensive rebound. Vs TC I think they were 7/8 from the foul line. It is very hard to defend their 3 guards without fouling when they are not settling for jumpers.

I am sure if McWinnie saw the shot chart prior to the game he would be very happy.
Old 12-26-18, 06:44 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Maybe. I'd have to watch again. How many of those missed shots were in the lane? As I recall it, the press generally ended after the ball crossed half court. Perimeter defense wasn't anything unusual or cramping. I do recall uncontested misses in the lane off the dribble. Just missed shots, nothing more. perhaps another step or two towards the basket might have been in order.

CS
Over the past four years, how far have they gone into play-offs? Anderson taking and making 3's could be an attempt to get them ready for post-season. Plus if he's to make good on recruiting promises, getting them ready for college would be a quid-pro-quo.

They need to get their post position working. Tall isn't an open road to success. Things to look for is how they grow into the team and if there has been a change in game plan from those previous years. They seemingly have the better raw materials as college recruiters are paid to determine that but we all seem to agree, those materials are not playing the same game.

Last edited by eastisbest; 12-26-18 at 06:58 AM.
Old 12-26-18, 07:10 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
CS
Over the past four years, how far have they gone into play-offs?
Made it to regionals 2x and lost in the district final last year.
Old 12-26-18, 07:44 AM
All Yappi

So maybe it's reasonable that shooting 3's is a change in game plan over previous years?. With the recruits being older, it is reasonable to presume they'd get there on experience but maybe the 3's are an intentional attempt to add a component? I don't see them getting far on a one-dimensional plan to attack the basket, experienced or not and with small school recruiting now being a thing, there is always someone capable of handling Holyfield.
Old 12-26-18, 08:35 AM
All Ohio

[QUOTE=eastisbest;7218950]So maybe it's reasonable that shooting 3's is a change in game plan over previous years?. With the recruits being older, it is reasonable to presume they'd get there on experience but maybe the 3's are an intentional attempt to add a component? I don't see them getting far on a one-dimensional plan to attack the basket, experienced or not and with small school recruiting now being a thing, there is always someone capable of handling Holyfield.[/QUOTE

Never proposed a one dimensional approach. Just dicussing this particular game and what led to a loss that may have surprised a few people.

I assume when you say "recruits" you are talking about one player who didn't play organized basketball until he was at Stritch.

Anther player who went to Kateri for middle school and whose dad is a close childhood friend with the coach who has 15+ years of D1 coaching experience.

Or the other player whose family always planned on him going to a private school, but was told by St. Francis and St. Johns that he would not start until he was a junior. So they found an option were he could play right away.

Parents did their research and found the best fit for their son and it has worked out pretty well for them.

It didn't hurt that they got to see a high flying Austin Adams leading Stritch to a district title in coach Kachmarik's 1st season. The small school family atmosphere and on court success attracts families who may have not looked at Stritch in the past and it has worked out well for the young men.
Old 12-26-18, 09:35 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
So maybe it's reasonable that shooting 3's is a change in game plan over previous years?. With the recruits being older, it is reasonable to presume they'd get there on experience but maybe the 3's are an intentional attempt to add a component? I don't see them getting far on a one-dimensional plan to attack the basket, experienced or not and with small school recruiting now being a thing, there is always someone capable of handling Holyfield.
Never proposed a one dimensional approach. Just dicussing this particular game and what led to a loss that may have surprised a few people.

I assume when you say "recruits" you mean ... same ya-da ya-da spewed by every recruiter everywhere.
yes
Old 12-26-18, 10:21 AM
Varsity

Obviously with my name I am a Fayette grad and as I have said before I am a fan of Fulton County Basketball and small-school basketball in general.

I don't have a dog in the hunt but I do enjoy the TAAC rivalries as well. I am and always will be a fan of the Public schools over the Private schools but Parents and kids should not be penalized for wanting a chance to provide their kids with what they think is a better opportunity.

Playing against Private schools also gives the Public school kids an opportunity to play against better competition, raise their own level of play, and get them ready for the tough tournament trail. You want Stritch to be good because it helps your programs...case in point look at my Fayette Eagles and the BBC in general. BBC teams play each other twice and then fill their schedules with weaker D3 and D4 teams from southern Michigan and around NW Ohio. They do not get tested until tournament time and normally get bounced right away.
Old 12-26-18, 12:42 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Obviously with my name I am a Fayette grad and as I have said before I am a fan of Fulton County Basketball and small-school basketball in general.

I don't have a dog in the hunt but I do enjoy the TAAC rivalries as well. I am and always will be a fan of the Public schools over the Private schools but Parents and kids should not be penalized for wanting a chance to provide their kids with what they think is a better opportunity.

Playing against Private schools also gives the Public school kids an opportunity to play against better competition, raise their own level of play, and get them ready for the tough tournament trail. You want Stritch to be good because it helps your programs..
So you're saying, our privates should recruit Fulton County so that we're all stronger?

Did it occur to you that if school A recruits top players, uh, academics from school B, that school B would have less raw synergy than it had?

Now I'm not fighting an anti-recruiting battle here but if we're going to debate it, let it be sourced in logic. Also let's not pretend that CS made anything of these young men that wouldn't have been made as well elsewhere. We're all very familiar with CS, historically not someplace ... welcoming but I should remind myself, judge on the present not that past. I have nothing against it and I even like some of their programs but would be remiss if I overlooked, not exactly the highest caliber academics and instructors historically or even now. It was a nice neighborhood Catholic (not a fan what they did to their neighbors though) that's looking to expand horizons, even if it means a little prostitution. Nothing more. It's people's business where they send their kids.
Old 12-26-18, 03:29 PM
Varsity

Smile

Sorry if you misunderstood my post meant nothing about recruiting Fulton County...was simply trying to say that playing the private schools has its benefits.
Old 12-26-18, 06:27 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Sorry if you misunderstood my post meant nothing about recruiting Fulton County...was simply trying to say that playing the private schools has its benefits.
I know, I was being facetious. My point, any team/school determining who they admit based upon previously developed skills does not make the playing field more competitive for all. They strengthen at the expense of others. It take more than a few seasons to develop next man up.

As to playing private schools having benefits, no, it doesn't. One team stronger because of talent and skills developed elsewhere means other teams weaker. It doesn't raise the competitive atmosphere. It reduces it to a few teams and a bunch of practice squads. This is exactly the point being made by IB. They've recruited out of the ability to schedule, so they need to reschedule in order for that team to improve. Built in-house, yes that is a dynamic that can spread and make a wider community stronger.

No, there is no benefit to going out of the way to schedule a school like that. And if pick and choose education is against your morality, then there is a moral penalty for scheduling a school like that. If it isn't? And they're not in-league? It's just a convenient game.
Old 12-26-18, 06:34 PM
All World

It has its benefits - until it is your district's kids being poached. Fayette has the great ability to be far enough from any of that nonsense.

I believe EIB's point is it is easy to poach the best and brightest and then look backwards on the district they came from and say you are better. I will never begrudge anyone for doing what is best for their kids. I just do not like the business model that is hidden by a religious guise.

Regardless, the TAAC has four(?) privates? Stritch's recent success will spark several things. It will be a flare up and they will not have this kind of talent again in the foreseeable future, they will be forced out of the league, or the other privates in league will up their ante. Will be interesting. I do not care what anyone says or where Kaczmerek came from (D-I college assistant right?), he was out-coached by McWhinnie. Not taking advantage of their height will be their downfall. They will face another odd ball game where fouls are not being called and shooters go cold. Stritch should have the entire league in foul trouble by halftime with their two 6'6 kids and their athletic ability to attack the rim and yet they insist on playing this half court swing game. And since those two bigs run the floor really well why not get up and down the floor more than they do? You out-man everyone in the league so use it to your advantage instead of playing into McWhinnie and Lindsey's half court trap (no pun intended)?

Really was impressed with McWhinnie's kid. You could tell he is a coach's kid.
Old 12-26-18, 08:43 PM
All Yappi

Interesting that most of the conversation has been on CS, some nice input by Smalls aside. We should probably re-watch and pick the hell out of TC's horrendous play, lol. And then we can move on to that horrible coach over at MVCD.

It was a fun game to watch. Maybe not state caliber but good balance on the floor. The kids seemed skilled, knowledgable and team oriented. And I'm talking all the kids, both teams, both benches. As has been mentioned, CS probably has a bit to go to be as skilled as they need to at the game they seemed to be trying to play or go to their raw strengths more as IB suggests. I personally think the season is for developing beyond the measurables, if they want to get out of region. I thought it a good gamble to get some of those taller kids on the perimeter shooting.
Old 12-28-18, 12:34 PM
All World

Stritch handled Collins (KY) at their Holiday Tournament in Tennessee. MVCD lost to Southview in a nail biter and without one of their top scorers in Chapman.

Where is t-town? He is a MVCD guy right?
Old 12-28-18, 03:16 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Stritch handled Collins (KY) at their Holiday Tournament in Tennessee. MVCD lost to Southview in a nail biter and without one of their top scorers in Chapman.

Where is t-town? He is a MVCD guy right?
Solid win for Stritch. They played very agressive and applied a lot of pressure on D.

Collins just beat Trinity who is a top 5 team in Kentucky.

Collins guards are ranked as the #2 and #5 players in the Kentucky junior class, for whatever value you put in player rankings. They also had a solid 6'8"-6'9" post.
Old 12-29-18, 08:58 AM
All Ohio

Stritch beat Stewart (TN) 68-47.

Good team D and balance scoring helped. Refs call a real tight game in Tennessee. Seem to be more travel calls and ticky tac calls while defending the ball handler. They still allow the 5 step travel, I mean Euro step.��

Stewart was 10-5 coming in and is a school of over 2,000 students.

They will play Blackman (TN) in the championship. They are a school with 2,150 students, who went 32-1 last year and are 11-3 this year.

Last edited by Smalls; 12-29-18 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-29-18, 11:14 AM
All World

Thanks for the updates Smalls.

It appears SJ is the only team in an out of town holiday tourney according to the Blade.

MVCD handled Rogers yesterday.
Old 12-29-18, 11:13 PM
All Ohio

Stritch lost 49-45 to Blackman (TN).

Couldn't come all the way back from starting out down 9-0.
Old 01-02-19, 08:47 AM
All Region

Cardboard Palace is on a distinguished road
Toledo Area Athletic Conference

Maumee Valley Country Day 6 - 1 2 - 0
Ottawa Hills 4 - 1 2 - 0
Cardinal Stritch 7 - 2 1 - 1
Toledo Christian 5 - 1 1 - 1
Northwood 3 - 3 0 - 2
Emmanuel Christian 3 - 4 0 - 2

Toledo Christian win over Cardinal Stritch was big
Maumee Valley lost to Southview in OT without Chatman (15 ppg) playing, Beat Rogers big
Cardinal Stritch lost to Toledo Christian, beat a couple big school teams with good records in Tennessee and lost to a big school team

Last edited by Cardboard Palace; 01-02-19 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-04-19, 11:47 PM
All Ohio

Stritch beat Central Catholic in double OT. Good team win in a high pressure environment. Plenty of things for both teams to work on. Effort was great on both sides.
Old 01-05-19, 11:56 AM
All World

^ I was able to watch the replay of this game and I must say it was on of the better games I have seen over the past 4 years or so. CCHS is vastly improved under Coach Floyd. They do some really nice things and presented Stritch some problems in terms of pressure.

Stritch's big three came to play in Burton, Holifield, and Anderson. Playoff type atmosphere and pressure can only be beneficial down the road for the Cardinals.

I started thinking about it and I do not think Stritch has beaten one of the Big 3 Catholic schools since defeating CC back in the late 80's - I believe the 1988 Tom Herman and Tom Patterson led Cardinal's who were members of the TCL at the time.

So the Blade does a front page cover story of CC trashing a weak Waite team earlier this week but cannot cover the best game in the area last night even though BCSN was in attendance? Odd.