Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-13-19, 01:39 PM
All American

America is an unknown quantity at this point
CJ had to go to overtime vs LCC last night ... Last 4 games have been 2 losses and 2 OT squeakers.
Old 02-14-19, 09:51 AM
All Yappi

JElder is on a distinguished road
I heard Coach Neal from RB was thrown out of the game vs. Alter. They lost by 32 so I'm guessing frustration is setting in?
Old 02-14-19, 10:03 AM
Freshman

KnightofOld is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JElder View Post
I heard Coach Neal from RB was thrown out of the game vs. Alter. They lost by 32 so I'm guessing frustration is setting in?
Officiating was really, really bad on both sides. Both teams were fouling hard and no calls were being made. I believe Roger Bacon had a total of 4 technical fouls, 2 on their coach, 2 on two of their players. It was quite an ugly game. Alter played pretty well, but the game got out of hand.
Old 02-14-19, 10:07 AM
All American

Roger Bacon will be really good in two years. They have a lot a of sophomores playing this year.
Old 02-14-19, 10:19 AM
All Yappi

JElder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofOld View Post
Officiating was really, really bad on both sides. Both teams were fouling hard and no calls were being made. I believe Roger Bacon had a total of 4 technical fouls, 2 on their coach, 2 on two of their players. It was quite an ugly game. Alter played pretty well, but the game got out of hand.
It was a 32 point game how bad could the officiating have been? 4 T's...It sounds like RB players and coach were out of control.
Old 02-14-19, 10:31 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by JElder View Post
It was a 32 point game how bad could the officiating have been? 4 T's...It sounds like RB players and coach were out of control.
The GCL website says Roger Bacon had 16 fouls in the game. Someone I know from Alter said Alter had 19 fouls, so 35 fouls called in one game is a lot when you aren't trying to foul at the end during a close contest.
Old 02-15-19, 09:39 PM
Junior Varsity

jrcheezb is on a distinguished road
Carroll CJ

Huge win for Carroll beats CJ in overtime! Cogan does it again!
Old 02-15-19, 10:07 PM
All World

Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
Purcell 55
Mcnick 48
Old 02-16-19, 05:18 AM
All American

SouthwestOhioGuy17 is on a distinguished road
Alter-Fenwick

Fenwick coach unhappy with effort in loss to Alter

https://www.journal-news.com/sports/...na2vtaMRlsPmJ/
Old 02-16-19, 07:38 AM
All World

7 of 8 teams finish over .500.
Old 02-16-19, 02:26 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthwestOhioGuy17 View Post
Fenwick coach unhappy with effort in loss to Alter

https://www.journal-news.com/sports/...na2vtaMRlsPmJ/
Beat down by Alter
Old 02-17-19, 09:11 PM
All Ohio

GCLman4525 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcheezb View Post
Huge win for Carroll beats CJ in overtime! Cogan does it again!
According to the GCL website, CJ shot 32% from the field, 25% from 3 and 53% from the free throw line. Not gonna win too many games shooting like that. Just not their night. I’m sure they’ll bounce back just fine.
Old 02-18-19, 02:00 PM
All World

Ballgame75
not to mention the game meant nothing other than being the super bowl for carroll
Old 02-18-19, 02:38 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballgame75 View Post
not to mention the game meant nothing other than being the super bowl for carroll
Doesn't matter. Did CJ not want to win? Did they not play their usual starters?
Old 02-18-19, 03:32 PM
Junior Varsity

chwestbroo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwin20 View Post
Doesn't matter. Did CJ not want to win? Did they not play their usual starters?
IMO Lack of focus. Looking ahead toward the tourney instead of focusing at the task at hand.
Old 02-18-19, 05:55 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by chwestbroo View Post
IMO Lack of focus. Looking ahead toward the tourney instead of focusing at the task at hand.
That happens, HS kids. Just responding to my perceived swipe at Carroll, maybe I misread the comment.
Old 02-18-19, 08:58 PM
All Ohio

GCLman4525 is on a distinguished road
Has to leave a bad taste in CJ’s mouth, seeing as that was Staley’s last home game. However, I’m pretty sure he’s only lost to Carroll a handful of times in his whole coaching career. Pretty remarkable honestly.
Old 02-18-19, 10:00 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCLman4525 View Post
Has to leave a bad taste in CJ’s mouth, seeing as that was Staley’s last home game. However, I’m pretty sure he’s only lost to Carroll a handful of times in his whole coaching career. Pretty remarkable honestly.
I know Petro only lost to Carroll 5 times in 50 years while at Alter. I'm sure in Staley's 30+ years, that number is probably under 10 as well. Both are legendary coaches.
Old 02-19-19, 06:34 AM
All American

Fenwick-Clinton-Massie

Fenwick celebrates Senior Night with emphatic victory

https://www.journal-news.com/sports/...JJCbMOxCuW6XO/
Old 02-19-19, 09:02 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthwestOhioGuy17 View Post
Fenwick celebrates Senior Night with emphatic victory

https://www.journal-news.com/sports/...JJCbMOxCuW6XO/
Article sounds like Fenwick played well. Heard Caleb Davis from Fenwick came back after being suspended the last 3 games by Kreke. He's a difference maker on defense.

I always think the draw should be later than it is because teams either end up folding or get better as the season goes on. A lot of them have 4+ games left to play. Alter beats Fenwick by 15 and 20 this year. Fenwick beats Massie by 20. Fenwick and Massie both got higher seeds.

Out of Cincy, I think the winner of the CJ/Fenwick/Alter sectional is going to play McNicholas.
Old 02-19-19, 11:09 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love cheeseburgers View Post
Both Fenwick and Massie sat their starters for considerable amounts during this game. This just illustrates that a 22 game season is too long and if you get weather delays like this game was and its played after the tourney draw, what incentive is there for either team to risk injury leading into the tourney?
That's a good point to do. Since this was a make up game, it would have probably been a better contest 2 1/2 weeks ago when it was originally scheduled.
Old 02-21-19, 01:56 PM
Junior Varsity

3 GCL schools in the Dayton 1 region, Alter, CJ, and Fenwick. Everyone will be itching to go at each other. Games between them should be tight and whoever comes out will be legit.
Old 02-21-19, 07:37 PM
All American

cincyhoops is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chwestbroo View Post
3 GCL schools in the Dayton 1 region, Alter, CJ, and Fenwick. Everyone will be itching to go at each other. Games between them should be tight and whoever comes out will be legit.
Not sure why CJ went where they did on the bracket, now they have to beat both Alter and Fenwick. They could have gone where Fenwick is and made Fenwick and Alter play each other first.
Old 02-21-19, 10:08 PM
All Region

Looseball is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyhoops View Post
Not sure why CJ went where they did on the bracket, now they have to beat both Alter and Fenwick. They could have gone where Fenwick is and made Fenwick and Alter play each other first.
CJ went there to avoid Trotwood in the district finals. CJ went up before Alter and Fenwick. They didn’t have to go up with CJ, but they chose the option of playing someone who has beaten them twice instead of playing who..... Thurgood Marshall??
Old 02-21-19, 11:18 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looseball View Post
CJ went there to avoid Trotwood in the district finals. CJ went up before Alter and Fenwick. They didn’t have to go up with CJ, but they chose the option of playing someone who has beaten them twice instead of playing who..... Thurgood Marshall??
I’m not talking about anyone going in the other sectional. CJ could’ve taken the line that Fenwick went on and probably would’ve gotten two easy games before having to play the fenwick/alter. Fenwick gets to play valley view then Monroe. CJ has to play alter in round 2. CJ should’ve taken the line that plays the team that got the bye. Major screw up by CJ coaching staff. Hard to believe Staley didn’t know that with as long as he’s been coaching.
Old 02-22-19, 07:16 AM
All Region

Ballin50 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I’m not talking about anyone going in the other sectional. CJ could’ve taken the line that Fenwick went on and probably would’ve gotten two easy games before having to play the fenwick/alter. Fenwick gets to play valley view then Monroe. CJ has to play alter in round 2. CJ should’ve taken the line that plays the team that got the bye. Major screw up by CJ coaching staff. Hard to believe Staley didn’t know that with as long as he’s been coaching.
Good Point! However, Alter could of avoided CJ in the second round. Alter had the choice of playing Fenwick first round or take the bye and play them second round. Alter decided to play a winnable game first round then take on CJ in the second. Who's to say Alter wouldn't of went after CJ if they took the top line?!
Old 02-22-19, 07:21 AM
Varsity

Greenandwhite98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You're saying Coach Staley should've taken the bye or gone where Fenwick/Valley View went?

Let's say he goes to one of those three places. Fenwick goes to the bottom half of that bracket. Badin, Massie, Ross, will all still go up top, nothing changed for them. What makes you think Alter doesn't either take the bye if CJ doesn't or go to the Saturday at 1pm game. Originally, if Alter wanted to either avoid CJ or "jump on" Fenwick they would've gone where Monroe went. If they wanted to avoid those teams all together there were clearly still lines available up top. It would've all worked out the same just flipped from top to bottom.

Not sure you thought your point out all the way. I'm going with the guy with all the wins and 30+ years of experience.
Old 02-22-19, 07:31 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenandwhite98 View Post
You're saying Coach Staley should've taken the bye or gone where Fenwick/Valley View went?

Let's say he goes to one of those three places. Fenwick goes to the bottom half of that bracket. Badin, Massie, Ross, will all still go up top, nothing changed for them. What makes you think Alter doesn't either take the bye if CJ doesn't or go to the Saturday at 1pm game. Originally, if Alter wanted to either avoid CJ or "jump on" Fenwick they would've gone where Monroe went. If they wanted to avoid those teams all together there were clearly still lines available up top. It would've all worked out the same just flipped from top to bottom.

Not sure you thought your point out all the way. I'm going with the guy with all the wins and 30+ years of experience.
I'm saying CJ should have gone where Fenwick is. Because most coaches want to at least win one tournament game. Alter would've likely still gone where they are so they can win a tournament game and then play Fenwick. Yes everyone else would've pretty much gone in same spots and CJ and Fenwick would be switched... much easier path for CJ had they gone where Fenwick is. I doubt Alter was trying to play CJ rather than Fenwick. Alter beat Fenwick twice this year and lost to CJ twice. Alter just picked the spot where they could at least play a game and win before either having to play CJ or Fenwick.
Old 02-23-19, 06:25 AM
All American

Badin-Ponitz

Badin finds more first-round magic against Ponitz

https://www.journal-news.com/sports/...eGlZF7SqgXCxJ/
Old 02-23-19, 02:18 PM
Junior Varsity

Fenwick beats Valley View 50-35.