Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-17-19, 08:34 PM
All Ohio

Old Wildcat is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Akron University camp

Today Akron University had a baseball camp. My grandson attended this camp. I thought that since there starting up baseball again after years not playing this might be a good look for 2020 graduates. I also figure they will use Juco kids. They had to sign in at 7:00AM . What a poorly run camp. Around 100 players and just 4 coaches. For $150.00 my grandson run a 60, infield consisted of 5 ground balls and batting he got 8 pitches. So run a 60, take 5 ground balls and 8 swings which in guessing took a total if 5 minutes. The other 2 hours and 55 minutes were standing around. Been going to camps for 40+ years and this was the worst I've ever seen. Coach Sabo you should be ashamed of yourself. Made the program and you look bad. Personally I think each camper should be refunded 100.00.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-19, 09:58 PM
All Ohio

HomeRunsNDunks is on a distinguished road
I'm not affiliated with Akron at all but this seems pretty par for the course when it comes to a "PROSPECT" camp. This is pretty much a tryout in a nutshell. I will say that a few camps aimed to incorporate some "stations" with things like fielding drills, hitting drills, etc. but this seems like a to the point prospect camp. The website states a new time, so they likely had to change it due to a scheduling conflict. It happens.
Old 02-17-19, 11:15 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeRunsNDunks View Post
I'm not affiliated with Akron at all but this seems pretty par for the course when it comes to a "PROSPECT" camp. This is pretty much a tryout in a nutshell. I will say that a few camps aimed to incorporate some "stations" with things like fielding drills, hitting drills, etc. but this seems like a to the point prospect camp. The website states a new time, so they likely had to change it due to a scheduling conflict. It happens.
Between coaching and working camps, taking my son to camps and now my grandson since he was 8 hes 17 now this was the poorest run camp I've ever seen. Over the years I've seen some very good ones also. When Danny Hall was at Kent State it was an excellent camp. It was truly disappointing
Old 02-18-19, 10:50 AM
All Ohio

Hitnrun is on a distinguished road
I actually heard a very similar experience from a friend who went with his high school junior son. Just so much down time, endless standing around, little to no instruction. The $150 price tag may seem insignificant to some, but after trudging around for more than a few years w/my own son to a variety of camps, cost weren't a factor in the ultimate quality experience. My buddy said a few kids actually left early due to the constant standing around. Old Wildcat is correct , been to many quality well run college camps in the past. Ohio U always runs an excellent day long camp, along w/Kent and Tri C. Akron needs to present a better experience now that they are back in the business of promoting college baseball, especially D1.
Old 02-18-19, 10:56 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
If one is simply trying to improve the skills of the said player, you are much better off taking that money and get one on one instructions, and use the time to travel to and from, and spent at the event to do some additional workouts.

I often hear parents brag about bringing their kids to all these camps (in multiple sports) and often times I think they do so just because it sounds like they are doing so much for their kid to improve but in reality that time and money can be much more well spent if the true reason is to get better.

Last edited by thavoice; 02-18-19 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-18-19, 02:37 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
It would have been in Akron's best interest to put on a great camp. Trying to build something from nothing is a difficult task. Getting bad press about a poorly designed camp isn't a good start for the program.
Old 02-18-19, 03:02 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
I agree with all of you, but one thing to keep in mind is that a program's players usually play a significant role in making a camp successful. As "staff" for the camp, a head coach can have everything from the blessing of a player that sees himself as a future coach and is 100% engaged, to players "earning" their fractional scholarships or those looking to get an edge for a bit of playing time.

I don't imagine any of these being strong dynamics at Akron. Tough spot.
Old 02-19-19, 06:37 PM
Junior Varsity

WildcatBall123 is on a distinguished road
These Akron coaches are clueless. They have no idea what they are doing. I said it when they brought the program back - find guys with NE Ohio ties who know the players, schools and coaches. They bring in guys with no connection to the area. Guys who think they are above everyone else. The attitude and arrogance is laughable. Programs with 10x more success are no where near as cocky as these guys. They are in for a rude awakening. They may struggle to win more than 10 games first two years. I’ve talked to a couple HS/summer coaches and the way their recruiting coordinator talks to these coaches is absolutely amazing. You’d think this guy coached at Vanderbilt the way he shoots these coaches down. It’s early and they haven’t played a game yet but I’d be very concerned if I was the administration.
Old 02-19-19, 07:51 PM
All District

Sliver of Hope is on a distinguished road
But then again, this is the same school that has a 20,000+ capacity football stadium that struggles to put 3,000 people in the stands every home game, and that includes the band! They should switch facilities with the soccer team and have the soccer team play at Infocision and the football team play at First Energy.
Old 02-19-19, 09:00 PM
All Ohio

warriordad is on a distinguished road
I'm curious, did they post a camp brochure with an itinerary on what was going to be done at the camp?
Old 02-19-19, 09:50 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriordad View Post
I'm curious, did they post a camp brochure with an itinerary on what was going to be done at the camp?
Not sure though I do know they were supposed to do exit velocity and didn't. No matter what a brochure says 5 ground balls and 8 swings is pathetic. My grandson actually while waiting went over and did some T work. Like he said I've been to many camps and this was a waisted 4 hours. Hes a 4.4 GPA student and was considering Akron for engineering. It's just sad.
Old 02-20-19, 02:24 PM
All Region

22bulldogs22 is on a distinguished road
If any 2019 uncommitted people in here shoot me an email Cvm22Lsu@aol.com.
Send an email with name,High school, positions, and a video
Thanks
Old 02-20-19, 02:27 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
lol
Old 02-20-19, 03:01 PM
All Region

Baseballfan20 is on a distinguished road
Here is the link to the camp announcement.

https://gozips.com/news/2018/12/30/a...amp-dates.aspx

If you actually go to the baseball page and click on the camp link all it is the online registration.
As you can see, no schedule was given. $150 is probably steep as a run of the mill PBR is $175 and comes with a profile that can be seen my most if not all schools. As always schools run winter camps to make money for assistants.
Old 02-20-19, 03:22 PM
Junior Varsity

WildcatBall123 is on a distinguished road
this was a fund raising attempt - nothing else. Sure they need players, but they also know the majority of the attendees likely had no chance to make the team. most of the JUCO kids there already came with recommendations from their coaches. sure they may find a diamond in the rough but do the math. 150 x 100 kids - for a program just starting back up with basically no scholarship money? no chance they were going to waste their time giving everyone 15-20 BP swings and 10-15 ground balls/fly balls.
Old 02-20-19, 03:59 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatBall123 View Post
this was a fund raising attempt - nothing else. Sure they need players, but they also know the majority of the attendees likely had no chance to make the team. most of the JUCO kids there already came with recommendations from their coaches. sure they may find a diamond in the rough but do the math. 150 x 100 kids - for a program just starting back up with basically no scholarship money? no chance they were going to waste their time giving everyone 15-20 BP swings and 10-15 ground balls/fly balls.
Well if that's the case that's B.S.
Old 02-20-19, 07:46 PM
All World

GCPRO
ALL of them, as in ALL of them are fund raising attempts! Good lord. Every single one of them. From HS youth camps/clinics to the former East Coast blah blah blah, money is at the root of it all.
Old 02-21-19, 06:17 AM
All District

MERKLE is on a distinguished road
It sounds like UA baseball is still in its infancy.

They need to get someone local on board
Old 02-21-19, 08:43 AM
All District

BobcatQB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCPRO View Post
ALL of them, as in ALL of them are fund raising attempts! Good lord. Every single one of them. From HS youth camps/clinics to the former East Coast blah blah blah, money is at the root of it all.
Exactly, how could you think any differently? Unfortunately for parents it has become a necessary evil. With what I have experienced, it wouldn't take much for a school to be #1 in OH. It's crazy how little these schools actually recruit. Most put all the work on kids/parents to do the recruiting and all for a few thousand dollars scholarship.
Old 02-21-19, 09:22 AM
Junior Varsity

Lightning2 is on a distinguished road
I agree its all for money making and without being there this sounds very lame. I have attended more than my fair share of these camps over the years and while you may only be evaluated on a few cuts or groundballs (lets be honest, more often than not you can tell by that amount of reps if that kid has what it takes to go D1 or not) Almost always there are other drills or SOMETHING to keep kids interested and moving. Did they not have players there helping the coaches? I know its for the money but charging that, you can at least put in a little better effort.
Old 02-21-19, 12:15 PM
All Ohio

boomer24 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning2 View Post
I agree its all for money making and without being there this sounds very lame. I have attended more than my fair share of these camps over the years and while you may only be evaluated on a few cuts or groundballs (lets be honest, more often than not you can tell by that amount of reps if that kid has what it takes to go D1 or not) Almost always there are other drills or SOMETHING to keep kids interested and moving. Did they not have players there helping the coaches? I know its for the money but charging that, you can at least put in a little better effort.
They don't have any players yet (2020 is the first season back for Akron)...sounds like they needed a few volunteers to help out based on the number of HS kids attending.
Old 02-21-19, 01:04 PM
All World

GCPRO
Akron staff could have easily reached out to some area HS coaches for help in running the event. Most would be more than happy to assist plus getting to know the new staff would be a plus.
Old 03-01-19, 04:35 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by UcantCatchMe View Post
It's amazing how many people don't know how a "prospect" camp works. It's no different than any PBR or showcase that a player would attend for exposure to a certain market (college coaches of various levels).

If you attend a college prospect camp than you can expect for it work in that fashion. The camp is not being held for instruction etc etc it's simply for kids to get on the same field as the Akron coaching staff. What comes of that is really up to the player. I'm willing to bet a few out of those 100+ kids that showed up will end up signing with Akron. Even though they only got x amount of ground balls or x amount of swings just like everyone else in attendance. I guarantee it.
Well here's my suggestion. Don't go signing a bunch of non local juco kids. I for one would rather watch a bunch of raw local talent than a bunch of mostly lazy no work ethic juco kids that you'll have for the most 2 years. Bring in a load of 2020 grads and start building for the future. But please sign local kids the local fans are willing to come watch. The last thing I want to watch is a juco kid from podunk Arkansas. Akron university football has to many juco and transfer students the I have zero interest in watching. Chris Sabo scoop up local kids and u might just get more that 20 fans in attendance. It's a club sport for the first few years anyway. Build for the future and not the quick no body care fix. But I know I'm beating a dead horse here. They will sign the juco kids and win a small %"of there games in front of 10 to 15 fans. Love to give college coaches a quarter so they could buy a clue. Am I wrong? What's your thoughts.
Old 03-01-19, 08:35 AM
All World

BigWorm can only hope to improve
lol @ "Akron University"
Old 03-01-19, 09:36 AM
Freshman

TigerCoach2016 is on a distinguished road
As you see I don't post much on sites, but I do have to agree with Old Wildcat.
The camp was poorly run, but I'm sure future camps will be better. No one was taking notes, the players were told not to ask for 60 times and the times and throwing velo were never emailed. The staff was just spread way too thin. I was disappointed until my son said there was a kid all the way from St. Paul, then I felt more for that kid and family. Hopefully the staff will / should have plenty of time to see HS games this spring.
Old 03-01-19, 11:19 AM
Junior Varsity

Fan22 is on a distinguished road
It’s the Akron U way of recruiting, always has been. Bring in kids from all over instead of recruiting the area.

Somehow other MAC schools, Toledo Football in particular, find this area good to recruit and they win.

I originally thought when Baseball was brought back the Administration said they were going to focus on recruiting this area.....guess not. Seems like they’re more concerned about JUCO kids.
Old 03-01-19, 12:28 PM
All Region

Baseballfan20 is on a distinguished road
Why the bash on JUCO?
Some of the top D2 JUCOs in the nation are in state or in Michigan.
I would think that would be a perfect place to start.
Old 03-01-19, 04:36 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseballfan20 View Post
Why the bash on JUCO?
Some of the top D2 JUCOs in the nation are in state or in Michigan.
I would think that would be a perfect place to start.
I read somewhere that 70% of kids that start at a jr. College don't make it the 2 years. Out of the 30% that enrolls in a four year school only 18% get a degree. Most juco kids are there because they couldn't carry a 1 point GPA. I wish I could remember where I read those numbers. I'm just saying if your starting up a new program I would invest in freshmen talent vs. Juco kids. But that's just my opinion.
Old 03-06-19, 11:41 AM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Wildcat View Post
I read somewhere that 70% of kids that start at a jr. College don't make it the 2 years. Out of the 30% that enrolls in a four year school only 18% get a degree. Most juco kids are there because they couldn't carry a 1 point GPA. I wish I could remember where I read those numbers. I'm just saying if your starting up a new program I would invest in freshmen talent vs. Juco kids. But that's just my opinion.
You can't bring in 35 freshman and expect to win games. I get it, it's a new program, but no program wants to go 5-47....and no coach wants to be put in that position. When they said the program was coming back, I think they stated they would TRY to get Ohio kids. They didn't say specifically NE Ohio kids. Also, keep in mind they aren't going to have the scholarships available that the other D1's have....I'm fairly certain they said they won't have any, but I may be wrong. If that's the case, they are going to be very limited with regard to who they can get. A freshman with other offers, even if they are only 25% offers isn't likely to end up at Akron. JUCO guys went JUCO with the hope of getting back to D1 at some point. They saved money their first two years and may be willing to shell out $$$ to play. It's going to be VERY tough to start a D1 program back up completely from scratch. You say you'd rather watch a team with all freshman? I can tell you that that won't be enjoyable. The kids that would be on that team will all have been "studs" in HS....and losing ALOT will get old real quick. It would be an absolute trainwreck before the first season ends. They have to bring in JUCO kids to be competitive. Sure, some freshman are ready to step into the lineup at a D1, but I can guarantee you they won't be able to get 15-18 (9 position players...and 8-10 pitchers). It's just not doable if you expect them to be able to be competitive on the field day in and day out.

As far as the camp....it's no different than any other camp. It's all about $$$...and most people understand this. If they bring in 150 kids and find 1 kid that can help a team, that's a win for them. I get it, it may not have been run as well as some other camps, but the fact that they have no players to help out is likely a big part of it. You can't run a bunch of drills/stations/etc and also look at possible recruits with 4 coaches and that many kids. I wouldn't just consider the program a complete disaster because of this one bad experience. Give it a chance.
Old 03-14-19, 04:27 PM
All District

duckdodgers is on a distinguished road
I think Old Wildcat and tcgobucks are both on the money. Gotta some local guys to get some interest. Also have to invest in the long haul. D1 baseball is a grind and dare I say most kids have no idea what the commitment level is for small crowds, no money and long bus rides.

I think you have to sprinkle in some JUCO kids and transfers but you have to have some local flare to get some interest and generate social media attention. Most local kids dream of playing for Kent State and rightly so a good program, but keep your eyes peeled on Youngstown State as Coach Bertolini is attracting talent and that will make it more difficult for Akron. Good luck though zips.