Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Debate Forum

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-20-17, 02:42 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Amid Charges By Former Law Student On Gender Equality, Former Clerks Defend Gorsuch

Wondering how big this issue will become for his confirmation...

Quote:
A former law student of Judge Neil Gorsuch, President Trump's nominee for the U.S. Supreme Court, alleges that in a course she took from Gorsuch at the University of Colorado Law School last year, the judge told his class that employers, specifically law firms, should ask women seeking jobs about their plans for having children and implied that women manipulate companies starting in the interview stage to extract maternity benefits.

The concerns were shared in a letter, posted Sunday evening by the National Employment Lawyers Association and the National Women's Law Center, written by Jennifer Sisk, a 2016 graduate of the University of Colorado Law School. It was sent on Friday to the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, and Ranking Member Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif.

Sisk, once a staffer for former Democratic Sen. Mark Udall of Colorado and the Interior Department during the Obama administration, told NPR that she wrote the letter "so that the proper questions could be asked during his confirmation hearings," which begin Monday before the Senate Judiciary Committee.
Read more:
http://www.npr.org/2017/03/20/520743...maternal-leave
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-17, 02:47 PM
Cooling Off

Uncle Ted is on a distinguished road
I guess the truth hurts. Women do exactly what he claimed.
Old 03-20-17, 02:51 PM
All World

Gh0st is on a distinguished road
In a perfect world this would get the amount of attention it deserves...none. But the usual mouthpieces will foam at the mouth about this for, not just the confirmation, but probably the rest of his career.

This letter doesn't even get the benefit of he-said-she-said because as soon as she made this accusation, no less than 12 people refuted what she said.
Old 03-20-17, 05:16 PM
All American

Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
I didn't realize telling the truth was grounds for not being a supreme court justice. This sort of stuff has happened multiple times at my father's company to the point he actively avoids hiring "women who look like they're ready to get knocked up" as he so eloquently puts it. The great irony is bull like mandatory maternity leave causes fewer women to be hired.

To the topic, Gorsuch will be confirmed after some foot stomping from the Dems because they a.) have no political capital b.) have no balls and c.) know Trump's 2nd or 3rd choice would likely be worse for them
Old 03-20-17, 06:26 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
I guess the truth hurts. Women do exactly what he claimed.
As a Professor I would think his role more to help his student understand what the laws say as opposed to expressing his own feelings. PRESUMING true, that's a big no-no and what the entirety of the conservative core complains about amongst the "liberal elite university" system.

Professors are there to teach students HOW to think, not WHAT to think. They are not to coerce students to favor by expressing similar viewpoints nor feel threatened to express counter viewpoints. When the person who holds your livelihood (and in Law school, grade IS livelihood), the student is threatened to express freely as they should be able in a university environment.

Now if he expressly set this up as an experience opportunity to give his students opportunity to "hold their ground" under threat, then he might have a point. But that should have been well described as the point of the exercise.
Old 03-20-17, 11:08 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
When will they learn that the court of public opinion has already tuned out?

Last edited by EagleGuy; 03-21-17 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-21-17, 08:33 AM
All American

19AL63 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
As a Professor I would think his role more to help his student understand what the laws say as opposed to expressing his own feelings. PRESUMING true, that's a big no-no and what the entirety of the conservative core complains about amongst the "liberal elite university" system.

Professors are there to teach students HOW to think, not WHAT to think. They are not to coerce students to favor by expressing similar viewpoints nor feel threatened to express counter viewpoints. When the person who holds your livelihood (and in Law school, grade IS livelihood), the student is threatened to express freely as they should be able in a university environment.

Now if he expressly set this up as an experience opportunity to give his students opportunity to "hold their ground" under threat, then he might have a point. But that should have been well described as the point of the exercise.
But if I take a class with a liberal law professor will he or she allow me to voice my conservative view? Looking at resent history of the liberal universities and the answer would be a resounding no.
Old 03-21-17, 09:12 AM
Cooling Off

Possessed is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19AL63 View Post
But if I take a class with a liberal law professor will he or she allow me to voice my conservative view? Looking at resent history of the liberal universities and the answer would be a resounding no.
Truth right there.
Old 03-21-17, 10:52 AM
Cooling Off

Watching his confirmation hearing this morning. Feinstein is an idiot.
Old 03-21-17, 01:19 PM
All World

Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possessed View Post
Watching his confirmation hearing this morning. Feinstein is an idiot.
She reminds me of someones crazy, spinster aunt.
Old 03-21-17, 02:32 PM
All American

bigkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwin20 View Post
She reminds me of someones crazy, spinster aunt.
I think she is about 5 years away from having the Pelosi syndrome.......u can see signs of it......
Old 03-21-17, 02:36 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Wondering how big this issue will become for his confirmation...

Read more:
http://www.npr.org/2017/03/20/520743...maternal-leave
she wrote the letter because.......she is a LIAR......another student who sat right by that student in that class....said it is simply not true.....i'm sure our wonderful media will follow up on this story
Old 03-21-17, 08:59 PM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enough
Sounds like Gorsuch is killing it so far, and has less than zero to worry about.
Old 03-21-17, 10:01 PM
All World

Gh0st is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish82 View Post
Sounds like Gorsuch is killing it so far, and has less than zero to worry about.
An ant has no quarrel with a boot.
Old 03-21-17, 11:00 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19AL63 View Post
And, not so recent history. Actually, I believe that ship sailed long, long ago.
Old 03-22-17, 07:42 AM
All Yappi

SWMCinci is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkat View Post
I think she is about 5 years away from having the Pelosi syndrome.......u can see signs of it......
Maybe it's a California thing?
Old 03-22-17, 10:18 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish82 View Post
if you have a chance, so-called washed up comedian Al Frankin.......got schooled...during his garabage talk
Old 03-22-17, 10:26 AM
All World

Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkat View Post
if you have a chance, so-called washed up comedian Al Frankin.......got schooled...during his garabage talk
Today or yesterday? I thought he was an a** yesterday (big surprise) but didn't think he got schooled.
Old 03-22-17, 09:30 PM
All Yappi

the_big_toe will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post

Law professors often make use of the Socratic Method & will also often play Devil's Advocate (even against their own preferred position) in order to get the students to think outside of their own comfort zones. That is what it sounds like Gorsuch was doing. This Democrat activist would have surely come across this exact same style of teaching several times in her law school career. This reeks of selective outrage by a partisan hack, as evidenced by the numerous students who have come out & refuted Ms. Sisk's account of Gorsuch's classroom demeanor (including the specific class referenced in Ms. Sisk's letter).
Old 03-23-17, 06:16 AM
All World

Egret is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
I didn't realize telling the truth was grounds for not being a supreme court justice. This sort of stuff has happened multiple times at my father's company to the point he actively avoids hiring "women who look like they're ready to get knocked up" as he so eloquently puts it. The great irony is bull like mandatory maternity leave causes fewer women to be hired.

To the topic, Gorsuch will be confirmed after some foot stomping from the Dems because they a.) have no political capital b.) have no balls and c.) know Trump's 2nd or 3rd choice would likely be worse for them
"Women who look like they're ready to get knocked up". Man oh man. a MAN'S MAN. This guy is my hero and I don't know what his business is but I want to do business with him TODAY!! Love this guy.
Old 03-23-17, 06:44 AM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enough
If the democrats have an ounce of sense left, they'll wrap this up, confirm the guy, and save their ammo for when one of the liberal justices retires/dies.

This simply isn't a hill worth dying on.
Old 03-23-17, 06:46 AM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egret View Post
"Women who look like they're ready to get knocked up". Man oh man. a MAN'S MAN. This guy is my hero and I don't know what his business is but I want to do business with him TODAY!! Love this guy.
He sounds like a jerkoff to me
Old 03-23-17, 07:41 AM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
He sounds like a jerkoff to me
What if a guy you were interviewing said "Oh, there's a chance I'll have to take off a couple days a week for a month or so next summer and then I'll require a couple months off followed by a change in my work schedule or maybe a slow down in my production for a few months after that... while costing the company insurance 10s of thousands". Would that affect your decision? Or would you look harder at a candidate that's just as qualified who has already taken all their "family time off"? People have babies. That doesn't mean we don't live in the real world.
Old 03-23-17, 08:54 AM
All American

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
^ That's not even remotely close to the same thing. In your scenario the guy is straight up telling you this will happen. In the other it's about making a judgement based off looks, nothing the woman said will happen.
Old 03-23-17, 09:06 AM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
^ That's not even remotely close to the same thing. In your scenario the guy is straight up telling you this will happen. In the other it's about making a judgement based off looks, nothing the woman said will happen.
In the course of a job interview, there's conversation. Oh, you just got married last year? Just bought a 3 bedroom house? You have how many brothers and sisters???

My statement wasn't based on looks alone. However... if someone thinks, based on an interview, that my scenario would be plausible be it a woman or a man... are you seriously saying that wouldn't affect your hiring of that individual? Come on now.
Old 03-23-17, 09:14 AM
All American

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I've never been an interviewee or interviewer where we talked about the number of brothers and sisters or mine/their housing situation, especially getting into the number of bedrooms. I find that incredibly odd that happens in your interview process.

Besides, you're moving the goalposts now. Neo and Egret, and by extension you with your agreement, said ""women who look like they're ready to get knocked up."
Old 03-23-17, 09:30 AM
All American

19AL63 is on a distinguished road
Watching this confirmation hearing: I find one thing very entertaining and that is a questioner will speak for five minutes and never ask a real question. Political statements at there best or is that at their best?
Old 03-23-17, 09:51 AM
Cooling Off

Quote:
I've never been an interviewee or interviewer where we talked about the number of brothers and sisters or mine/their housing situation, especially getting into the number of bedrooms. I find that incredibly odd that happens in your interview process.

Besides, you're moving the goalposts now. Neo and Egret, and by extension you with your agreement, said ""women who look like they're ready to get knocked up."
"Looked like" means a lot of things. You're taking a small view of that phrase. A lot of different factors can come into call when you're deciding what direction something "looks like" it's heading.

And Any interviewer does Facebook checks, Twitter checks, and makes small talk to feel people out. Anyone who doesn't isn't doing their homework.
Old 03-23-17, 10:02 AM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
As someone who has worked with, worked for, interviewed, hired and fired women, I can tell you in my long experience that if you have a chance to hire an equally qualified man for the job...do it. They don't miss as much work. They aren't bringing their personal life and issues to work. They aren't checking their phone every second. They can handle constructive criticism. Now, to be fair, there are some women who are as dependable as any guy, and there are guys who turn out to be undependable...but in the end it is much, much easier to hire and work with a guy. I enjoy the company of women outside of work, but if at all possible I prefer male employees who just come in and get the job done with little drama.
Old 03-23-17, 10:35 AM
All American

Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egret View Post
I'll tell him he has a fan!

Quote:
My father apparently feels he has pretty good judgement of these things. And since it's a private company and he's the one paying their salary, I don't see why he should be forced to make his decisions based on anything other than his instincts as to the right choice. I guess if he's passing up all these super talented women that set off his "about to get knocked up" radar, then his competition will quickly pass him by.

Or we could send in the government to tell him who he should and should not pay a salary to. Personally, I'm a fan of the person with the most skin in the game making the decisions though.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: