Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-20-17, 12:27 PM
Yankeefan33 Yankeefan33 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 02-23-12
Posts: 2,218
Yankeefan33 is on a distinguished road
Te'Shan Campbell Commits to Ohio State

NCAA Qualifier and 2017 ACC Champion Te'Shan Campbell will transfer from Pitt to Ohio State. Campbell went 2-2 at 165 this year and will provide solid depth at 165/174 after a redshirt year.

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/...e#.WNAQIlUrKM8

He was a sophomore this year, so he should have two years of eligibility after a redshirt.

Edit: Campbell might have gotten a full release from Pitt. If that is the case, he could slot in nicely at 165 next year for the Buckeyes.

Last edited by Yankeefan33; 03-20-17 at 01:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 03-20-17, 12:28 PM
wash.c.h.legend wash.c.h.legend is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-11-05
Location: greenfield
Posts: 2,349
wash.c.h.legend
Nice


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-20-17, 12:29 PM
bulldowg_Wrestling19 bulldowg_Wrestling19 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 02-15-16
Posts: 108
bulldowg_Wrestling19 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeefan33 View Post
NCAA Qualifier and 2017 ACC Champion Te'Shan Campbell will transfer from Pitt to Ohio State. Campbell went 2-2 at 165 this year and will provide solid depth at 165/174 after a redshirt year.

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/...e#.WNAQIlUrKM8

He was a sophomore this year, so he should have two years of eligibility after a redshirt.
Things like this are great for the top teams who get the transfers, but it's ultimately bad for wrestling as a whole.

Hate to say it, but the more the top teams stack, the less interest other schools will have in keeping their programs and the less interest recruits will have in going there.


How many D1 teams are there now? 70?



How many have we lost in the last 10 years? 10? 15?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-20-17, 12:39 PM
Yankeefan33 Yankeefan33 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 02-23-12
Posts: 2,218
Yankeefan33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldowg_Wrestling19 View Post
Things like this are great for the top teams who get the transfers, but it's ultimately bad for wrestling as a whole.

Hate to say it, but the more the top teams stack, the less interest other schools will have in keeping their programs and the less interest recruits will have in going there.


How many D1 teams are there now? 70?



How many have we lost in the last 10 years? 10? 15?
Not that many I don't think. Boston a couple years ago is the only one in the last five years I believe. And Fresno St is starting back up next year. More and more teams are being added in D2/D3/NAIA as well
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-20-17, 12:43 PM
bulldowg_Wrestling19 bulldowg_Wrestling19 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 02-15-16
Posts: 108
bulldowg_Wrestling19 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeefan33 View Post
Not that many I don't think. Boston a couple years ago is the only one in the last five years I believe. And Fresno St is starting back up next year. More and more teams are being added in D2/D3/NAIA as well
That's great, but they bring little to no attention to the sport outside of the immediate areas they are located in, and even then the coverage outside of the school's own newspaper is usually horrible.


Didn't Liberty get rid of theirs not too long ago?


And Cleveland State did, then reversed it when students agreed to a $1 fee for every credit hour they take?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-20-17, 12:46 PM
CoachHoversten CoachHoversten is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-25-13
Posts: 202
CoachHoversten is on a distinguished road
Quick question, I honestly don't know. If wrestling only gets 9.9 scholarships, and there are 10 starters, how does a team get so many stacked recruits/transfers?

If I am a top level wrestler and Penn State wants me, they probably can't offer me much of a scholarship whereas Pitt (in this case) can offer me a larger scholarship because they don't have as many top tier wrestlers who are worth a bigger scholarship.

Does anyone know the "typical" breakdown that kids get? Zain Retherford...full ride? Half?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-20-17, 12:50 PM
bulldowg_Wrestling19 bulldowg_Wrestling19 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 02-15-16
Posts: 108
bulldowg_Wrestling19 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachHoversten View Post
Quick question, I honestly don't know. If wrestling only gets 9.9 scholarships, and there are 10 starters, how does a team get so many stacked recruits/transfers?

If I am a top level wrestler and Penn State wants me, they probably can't offer me much of a scholarship whereas Pitt (in this case) can offer me a larger scholarship because they don't have as many top tier wrestlers who are worth a bigger scholarship.

Does anyone know the "typical" breakdown that kids get? Zain Retherford...full ride? Half?
There are other ways to get money for school as well. If a student falls into certain income guidelines they can get around $6k/yr from PELL grants, and there are a million other opportunities to get scholarships that coaches and AD's know about to get kids in their room.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-20-17, 02:20 PM
Heavy Hitter 1 Heavy Hitter 1 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 05-21-04
Posts: 1,082
Heavy Hitter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachHoversten View Post
Quick question, I honestly don't know. If wrestling only gets 9.9 scholarships, and there are 10 starters, how does a team get so many stacked recruits/transfers?

If I am a top level wrestler and Penn State wants me, they probably can't offer me much of a scholarship whereas Pitt (in this case) can offer me a larger scholarship because they don't have as many top tier wrestlers who are worth a bigger scholarship.

Does anyone know the "typical" breakdown that kids get? Zain Retherford...full ride? Half?
Another big thing athletes with goods grades, they qualify for academic money. So they may be able to take money from one person replace with academic money and give the athletic money to another person. Another advantage of academic money is it doesn't come with the same NCAA restrictions that athletic money does.

Last edited by Heavy Hitter 1; 03-20-17 at 02:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-20-17, 02:55 PM
bdhof bdhof is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-11-10
Posts: 3,339
bdhof is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachHoversten View Post
Quick question, I honestly don't know. If wrestling only gets 9.9 scholarships, and there are 10 starters, how does a team get so many stacked recruits/transfers?

If I am a top level wrestler and Penn State wants me, they probably can't offer me much of a scholarship whereas Pitt (in this case) can offer me a larger scholarship because they don't have as many top tier wrestlers who are worth a bigger scholarship.

Does anyone know the "typical" breakdown that kids get? Zain Retherford...full ride? Half?
9.9 is correct. If you look at tOSU's roster, they probably have several walk-ons, and maybe a few kids who are splitting scholarships. And then some may be on other programs, like financial aid, academic scholarships, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-20-17, 03:04 PM
Huge Huge is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 09-17-10
Posts: 583
Huge is on a distinguished road
Here is how they do it. It is about net cost to the family and how much they want to attend a certain school and wrestle for a certain team and the assumption they can start at the weight they prefer. So, your home state schools have a big advantage, then they exhaust all non-athletic forms of financial aid ( need based, grants, academic awards, etc.) then they give you what they need to close the deal. It is not guaranteed to stay that way even for top tier guys ( I heard lance Palmer had to take a haircut on his scholarship to " help the team") and I have not heard of anyone getting a full athletic scholarship for wrestling. And I know a lot of STED grads and their families. Again, this is what I have heard from parents of current and re don't scholarship wrestlers...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-20-17, 03:12 PM
bdhof bdhof is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-11-10
Posts: 3,339
bdhof is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldowg_Wrestling19 View Post
Things like this are great for the top teams who get the transfers, but it's ultimately bad for wrestling as a whole.

Hate to say it, but the more the top teams stack, the less interest other schools will have in keeping their programs and the less interest recruits will have in going there.


How many D1 teams are there now? 70?



How many have we lost in the last 10 years? 10? 15?
The top teams can't really stack because of the 9.9 scholarship limit. If I'm a top recruit, I'm not going to go somewhere without money. Now, maybe if I'm eligible for financial aide or academic scholarship that changes things. The other issue is do you want to sit on the bench for a couple of years behind young middleweights like Nolf, Joseph, Hall and Nickal? If you look at tOSU, for instance, they have 35 on their roster but zero backups (not counting injured KeShawn Hayes) who would be a NCAA Q if in the lineup.

Next year they will have more solid backups with Campbell or Romero at 165/174, and Pletcher behind Tomasello or Hayes. And perhaps Burcher and Ryan wrestle off for 157 leaving a capable backup at 157.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-20-17, 06:04 PM
Bear73 Bear73 is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 08-27-15
Posts: 41
Bear73 is on a distinguished road
Didn't Pitt change head coaches this year? Does that have an effect on Campbell's eligibility for Ohio State next year?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-20-17, 06:18 PM
matfan95 matfan95 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 11-06-11
Posts: 20
matfan95 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear73 View Post
Didn't Pitt change head coaches this year? Does that have an effect on Campbell's eligibility for Ohio State next year?
yes the coach left after the whole midlands thing. I would imagine that the coaching change would allow for a transfer without having to sit.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-20-17, 07:22 PM
powtowner powtowner is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 03-18-09
Posts: 220
powtowner is on a distinguished road
one of the reasons that Coach Ryan was hired for the buckeye job is he was very well known for being "creative" in getting kids money before the scholarship.....
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-20-17, 07:27 PM
ProV1 ProV1 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 02-14-15
Posts: 750
ProV1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by matfan95 View Post
yes the coach left after the whole midlands thing. I would imagine that the coaching change would allow for a transfer without having to sit.
If don't believe coaching changes have anything to do with transfer eligibility.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-21-17, 12:04 AM
Yankeefan33 Yankeefan33 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 02-23-12
Posts: 2,218
Yankeefan33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProV1 View Post
If don't believe coaching changes have anything to do with transfer eligibility.
No, but programs are more likely to let guys leave if there is a coaching change- it's kind of understood between programs/wrestlers I think. That's why the whole Brands/VT thing ten years ago was so big
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-21-17, 12:09 AM
CuriousGeorge1 CuriousGeorge1 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 01-24-08
Posts: 1,563
CuriousGeorge1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhof View Post
The top teams can't really stack because of the 9.9 scholarship limit. If I'm a top recruit, I'm not going to go somewhere without money. Now, maybe if I'm eligible for financial aide or academic scholarship that changes things. The other issue is do you want to sit on the bench for a couple of years behind young middleweights like Nolf, Joseph, Hall and Nickal? If you look at tOSU, for instance, they have 35 on their roster but zero backups (not counting injured KeShawn Hayes) who would be a NCAA Q if in the lineup.

Next year they will have more solid backups with Campbell or Romero at 165/174, and Pletcher behind Tomasello or Hayes. And perhaps Burcher and Ryan wrestle off for 157 leaving a capable backup at 157.
Ummm I'm not sure what you mean. Ohio State has some amazing guys not in the starting lineup. 125 is the only place where there is legitimately no backup and that changes with two State Champs coming from Wisconsin next year, wrestled 120 and 126 this year in high school. Plus, Nick Roberts, RIP, was a 125, but he transferred out and then proceeded to win a DII National Title. Here is a backup lineup.

133- Fitzgerald (State Runner up), Ragon (2x State Runner up)

141- Hayes (top 10 recruit), Hozan (3 time State Placer)

149- Davis (State Champ), Dingess (State 3rd), Powell (State 4th)

157- DeCarlo (2x State Placer), Schierl (State Runner up, 2x Fargo AA), Newton (State 3rd twice)

165- Cleary (2x State Champ, Nationally ranked, Top 70 recruit), Kresevic (State 3rd)

174- Williams (State Champ, 4x placer, Top 100 recruit)

184- Harris (2x State Champ, Top 100 recruit)

197- Snyder (3x Prep Nationals placer, Kyle's brother), Traub (State Runner up and State 4th)

Hvy- Tavanello (3x State Champ, Top 30 recruit), Fox (State Champ and State Runner up)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-21-17, 12:13 AM
Yankeefan33 Yankeefan33 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 02-23-12
Posts: 2,218
Yankeefan33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge1 View Post
Ummm I'm not sure what you mean. Ohio State has some amazing guys not in the starting lineup. 125 is the only place where there is legitimately no backup and that changes with two State Champs coming from Wisconsin next year, wrestled 120 and 126 this year in high school. Plus, Nick Roberts, RIP, was a 125, but he transferred out and then proceeded to win a DII National Title. Here is a backup lineup.

133- Fitzgerald (State Runner up), Ragon (2x State Runner up)

141- Hayes (top 10 recruit), Hozan (3 time State Placer)

149- Davis (State Champ), Dingess (State 3rd), Powell (State 4th)

157- DeCarlo (2x State Placer), Schierl (State Runner up, 2x Fargo AA), Newton (State 3rd twice)

165- Cleary (2x State Champ, Nationally ranked, Top 70 recruit), Kresevic (State 3rd)

174- Williams (State Champ, 4x placer, Top 100 recruit)

184- Harris (2x State Champ, Top 100 recruit)

197- Snyder (3x Prep Nationals placer, Kyle's brother), Traub (State Runner up and State 4th)

Hvy- Tavanello (3x State Champ, Top 30 recruit), Fox (State Champ and State Runner up)
Yeah, like he said, none of these guys would be NCAA qualifiers. Tav/Hayes were hurt so they don't count. The rest wouldn't qualify in the big 10.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wilmington D-2 District Preview McClearn7 Wrestling 31 12-10-15 01:47 PM
Mansfield D-2 District Preview McClearn7 Wrestling 6 12-02-15 11:23 AM
Troy D-3 District Preview McClearn7 Wrestling 3 12-01-15 01:09 AM
Garfield Hts. D-3 District Preview McClearn7 Wrestling 7 12-09-14 06:10 AM
Alliance District 2014-2015 Preview McClearn7 Wrestling 19 10-10-14 01:59 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz