Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-20-17, 12:27 PM
All American

Yankeefan33 is on a distinguished road
Te'Shan Campbell Commits to Ohio State

NCAA Qualifier and 2017 ACC Champion Te'Shan Campbell will transfer from Pitt to Ohio State. Campbell went 2-2 at 165 this year and will provide solid depth at 165/174 after a redshirt year.

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/...e#.WNAQIlUrKM8

He was a sophomore this year, so he should have two years of eligibility after a redshirt.

Edit: Campbell might have gotten a full release from Pitt. If that is the case, he could slot in nicely at 165 next year for the Buckeyes.

Last edited by Yankeefan33; 03-20-17 at 01:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-17, 12:28 PM
All American

wash.c.h.legend
Nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-17, 12:29 PM
All District

bulldowg_Wrestling19 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeefan33 View Post
NCAA Qualifier and 2017 ACC Champion Te'Shan Campbell will transfer from Pitt to Ohio State. Campbell went 2-2 at 165 this year and will provide solid depth at 165/174 after a redshirt year.

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/...e#.WNAQIlUrKM8

He was a sophomore this year, so he should have two years of eligibility after a redshirt.
Things like this are great for the top teams who get the transfers, but it's ultimately bad for wrestling as a whole.

Hate to say it, but the more the top teams stack, the less interest other schools will have in keeping their programs and the less interest recruits will have in going there.

How many D1 teams are there now? 70?

How many have we lost in the last 10 years? 10? 15?
Old 03-20-17, 12:39 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldowg_Wrestling19 View Post
Things like this are great for the top teams who get the transfers, but it's ultimately bad for wrestling as a whole.

Hate to say it, but the more the top teams stack, the less interest other schools will have in keeping their programs and the less interest recruits will have in going there.

Not that many I don't think. Boston a couple years ago is the only one in the last five years I believe. And Fresno St is starting back up next year. More and more teams are being added in D2/D3/NAIA as well
Old 03-20-17, 12:43 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeefan33 View Post
Not that many I don't think. Boston a couple years ago is the only one in the last five years I believe. And Fresno St is starting back up next year. More and more teams are being added in D2/D3/NAIA as well
That's great, but they bring little to no attention to the sport outside of the immediate areas they are located in, and even then the coverage outside of the school's own newspaper is usually horrible.

Didn't Liberty get rid of theirs not too long ago?

And Cleveland State did, then reversed it when students agreed to a $1 fee for every credit hour they take?
Old 03-20-17, 12:46 PM
All District

CoachHoversten is on a distinguished road
Quick question, I honestly don't know. If wrestling only gets 9.9 scholarships, and there are 10 starters, how does a team get so many stacked recruits/transfers?

If I am a top level wrestler and Penn State wants me, they probably can't offer me much of a scholarship whereas Pitt (in this case) can offer me a larger scholarship because they don't have as many top tier wrestlers who are worth a bigger scholarship.

Does anyone know the "typical" breakdown that kids get? Zain Retherford...full ride? Half?
Old 03-20-17, 12:50 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachHoversten View Post
Quick question, I honestly don't know. If wrestling only gets 9.9 scholarships, and there are 10 starters, how does a team get so many stacked recruits/transfers?

If I am a top level wrestler and Penn State wants me, they probably can't offer me much of a scholarship whereas Pitt (in this case) can offer me a larger scholarship because they don't have as many top tier wrestlers who are worth a bigger scholarship.

Does anyone know the "typical" breakdown that kids get? Zain Retherford...full ride? Half?
There are other ways to get money for school as well. If a student falls into certain income guidelines they can get around $6k/yr from PELL grants, and there are a million other opportunities to get scholarships that coaches and AD's know about to get kids in their room.
Old 03-20-17, 02:20 PM
All American

Heavy Hitter 1
Quote:

Another big thing athletes with goods grades, they qualify for academic money. So they may be able to take money from one person replace with academic money and give the athletic money to another person. Another advantage of academic money is it doesn't come with the same NCAA restrictions that athletic money does.

Last edited by Heavy Hitter 1; 03-20-17 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-20-17, 02:55 PM
All World

bdhof is on a distinguished road
Quote:

9.9 is correct. If you look at tOSU's roster, they probably have several walk-ons, and maybe a few kids who are splitting scholarships. And then some may be on other programs, like financial aid, academic scholarships, etc.
Old 03-20-17, 03:04 PM
All Ohio

Huge is on a distinguished road
Here is how they do it. It is about net cost to the family and how much they want to attend a certain school and wrestle for a certain team and the assumption they can start at the weight they prefer. So, your home state schools have a big advantage, then they exhaust all non-athletic forms of financial aid ( need based, grants, academic awards, etc.) then they give you what they need to close the deal. It is not guaranteed to stay that way even for top tier guys ( I heard lance Palmer had to take a haircut on his scholarship to " help the team") and I have not heard of anyone getting a full athletic scholarship for wrestling. And I know a lot of STED grads and their families. Again, this is what I have heard from parents of current and re don't scholarship wrestlers...
Old 03-20-17, 03:12 PM
All World

bdhof is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldowg_Wrestling19 View Post

The top teams can't really stack because of the 9.9 scholarship limit. If I'm a top recruit, I'm not going to go somewhere without money. Now, maybe if I'm eligible for financial aide or academic scholarship that changes things. The other issue is do you want to sit on the bench for a couple of years behind young middleweights like Nolf, Joseph, Hall and Nickal? If you look at tOSU, for instance, they have 35 on their roster but zero backups (not counting injured KeShawn Hayes) who would be a NCAA Q if in the lineup.

Next year they will have more solid backups with Campbell or Romero at 165/174, and Pletcher behind Tomasello or Hayes. And perhaps Burcher and Ryan wrestle off for 157 leaving a capable backup at 157.
Old 03-20-17, 06:04 PM
Junior Varsity

Bear73 is on a distinguished road
Didn't Pitt change head coaches this year? Does that have an effect on Campbell's eligibility for Ohio State next year?
Old 03-20-17, 06:18 PM
Freshman

matfan95 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear73 View Post
Didn't Pitt change head coaches this year? Does that have an effect on Campbell's eligibility for Ohio State next year?
yes the coach left after the whole midlands thing. I would imagine that the coaching change would allow for a transfer without having to sit.
Old 03-20-17, 07:22 PM
All District

powtowner is on a distinguished road
one of the reasons that Coach Ryan was hired for the buckeye job is he was very well known for being "creative" in getting kids money before the scholarship.....
Old 03-20-17, 07:27 PM
All Ohio

ProV1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by matfan95 View Post
yes the coach left after the whole midlands thing. I would imagine that the coaching change would allow for a transfer without having to sit.
If don't believe coaching changes have anything to do with transfer eligibility.
Old 03-21-17, 12:04 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProV1 View Post
If don't believe coaching changes have anything to do with transfer eligibility.
No, but programs are more likely to let guys leave if there is a coaching change- it's kind of understood between programs/wrestlers I think. That's why the whole Brands/VT thing ten years ago was so big
Old 03-21-17, 12:09 AM
All American

CuriousGeorge1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhof View Post
The top teams can't really stack because of the 9.9 scholarship limit. If I'm a top recruit, I'm not going to go somewhere without money. Now, maybe if I'm eligible for financial aide or academic scholarship that changes things. The other issue is do you want to sit on the bench for a couple of years behind young middleweights like Nolf, Joseph, Hall and Nickal? If you look at tOSU, for instance, they have 35 on their roster but zero backups (not counting injured KeShawn Hayes) who would be a NCAA Q if in the lineup.

Next year they will have more solid backups with Campbell or Romero at 165/174, and Pletcher behind Tomasello or Hayes. And perhaps Burcher and Ryan wrestle off for 157 leaving a capable backup at 157.
Ummm I'm not sure what you mean. Ohio State has some amazing guys not in the starting lineup. 125 is the only place where there is legitimately no backup and that changes with two State Champs coming from Wisconsin next year, wrestled 120 and 126 this year in high school. Plus, Nick Roberts, RIP, was a 125, but he transferred out and then proceeded to win a DII National Title. Here is a backup lineup.

133- Fitzgerald (State Runner up), Ragon (2x State Runner up)

141- Hayes (top 10 recruit), Hozan (3 time State Placer)

149- Davis (State Champ), Dingess (State 3rd), Powell (State 4th)

157- DeCarlo (2x State Placer), Schierl (State Runner up, 2x Fargo AA), Newton (State 3rd twice)

165- Cleary (2x State Champ, Nationally ranked, Top 70 recruit), Kresevic (State 3rd)

174- Williams (State Champ, 4x placer, Top 100 recruit)

184- Harris (2x State Champ, Top 100 recruit)

197- Snyder (3x Prep Nationals placer, Kyle's brother), Traub (State Runner up and State 4th)

Hvy- Tavanello (3x State Champ, Top 30 recruit), Fox (State Champ and State Runner up)
Old 03-21-17, 12:13 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge1 View Post
Ummm I'm not sure what you mean. Ohio State has some amazing guys not in the starting lineup. 125 is the only place where there is legitimately no backup and that changes with two State Champs coming from Wisconsin next year, wrestled 120 and 126 this year in high school. Plus, Nick Roberts, RIP, was a 125, but he transferred out and then proceeded to win a DII National Title. Here is a backup lineup.

133- Fitzgerald (State Runner up), Ragon (2x State Runner up)

141- Hayes (top 10 recruit), Hozan (3 time State Placer)

149- Davis (State Champ), Dingess (State 3rd), Powell (State 4th)

157- DeCarlo (2x State Placer), Schierl (State Runner up, 2x Fargo AA), Newton (State 3rd twice)

165- Cleary (2x State Champ, Nationally ranked, Top 70 recruit), Kresevic (State 3rd)

174- Williams (State Champ, 4x placer, Top 100 recruit)

184- Harris (2x State Champ, Top 100 recruit)

197- Snyder (3x Prep Nationals placer, Kyle's brother), Traub (State Runner up and State 4th)

Hvy- Tavanello (3x State Champ, Top 30 recruit), Fox (State Champ and State Runner up)
Yeah, like he said, none of these guys would be NCAA qualifiers. Tav/Hayes were hurt so they don't count. The rest wouldn't qualify in the big 10.