Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Which of these most closely describes your religious practice currently
Mainline Protestant regular church-goer (Episc., Mehthodist, etc.) 5 7.94%
Mainline Protestant by background, infrequent church-goer 9 14.29%
Evangelical regular church-goer 3 4.76%
Evangelical by background, infrequent church-goer 2 3.17%
Catholic regular church-goer 22 34.92%
Catholic by background, infrequent church-goer 15 23.81%
Jewish 2 3.17%
Muslim 3 4.76%
Other Religion 2 3.17%
Agnostic (who knows?) 13 20.63%
Atheist (there is no God/Supreme being) 3 4.76%
Other 4 6.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-15-17, 10:14 AM
All American

serpico is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
Wait why can't you get communion? Because your wife is divorced?
Technically, it's because I married someone who is divorced but didn't get an annulment. Thus, every day I am literally living in sin, according to the Church.

I imagine I could get communion but it wouldn't be within the spirit of the Church's rules.
Old 03-15-17, 10:19 AM
All American

serpico is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
I've never seen anyone turned away from communion at a Catholic Church.
That isn't the point. If you read the back of a missalette it very specifically says who can and who cannot receive communion.

I'm sure my wife could get it if she wanted, at least when we don't go to our hometown church. If we went there I wouldn't want the communion distributors to be put in a bind and actually have to turn her away because they know she's not Catholic.
Old 03-15-17, 10:22 AM
All American

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
My dad is Methodist and he would go to Catholic church with us. On Easter and christmas he would get communion and turned some faces. Everyone knew he wasn't Catholic because he would sit while we always went for Communion. He just said if they turn me away they don't get a dime anymore and just laughed. I'm sure some people were pissed
Old 03-15-17, 10:30 AM
Cooling Off

Possessed is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
I've always been Catholic but recently remarried someone who is not only not Catholic but is divorced. She's not keen at all on getting an annulment, and as such I'm not able to receive Communion, which distresses me greatly. My wife is also not crazy about going to Mass considering she can't share in Communion with my family. She feels excluded, especially considering at her Methodist church they give out Communion to anyone. If I'm being honest with myself, the Church's hard and fast rules seem to be slowly pulling me away, and I don't like that one bit.

This inter-faith marriage has given rise to more difficulties than any of us anticipated.
The Church's hard and fast rules? You do realize that the "church" gets many of those rules from God and the Bible, right? That's the Catholic belief. Are you mad because until you follow through with some rules you're living in sin? Is that the Church's fault or yours? Get the annulment and move on. Then maybe you won't blame the Church for your own sin. Or switch faiths.
Old 03-15-17, 10:31 AM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
My dad is Methodist and he would go to Catholic church with us. On Easter and christmas he would get communion and turned some faces. Everyone knew he wasn't Catholic because he would sit while we always went for Communion. He just said if they turn me away they don't get a dime anymore and just laughed. I'm sure some people were pissed
I'm not sure why people would be pissed if your pops took communion. That's kind of dumb to me because it seems like that would be between him and God?
Old 03-15-17, 10:34 AM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possessed View Post
If God says he flooded the earth or if Moses lived for 900 yrs... then it I guess I believe it.
Just so I've got this right, you do believe that Moses lived for 900 years?
Old 03-15-17, 10:40 AM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
Just so I've got this right, you do believe that Moses lived for 900 years?
Yup.
Old 03-15-17, 11:23 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Old 03-15-17, 11:26 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
I'm agnostic, but I don't know many Catholics who believe in the Bible literally, especially the Old Testament.

Last edited by eastside_purple; 03-15-17 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-15-17, 11:37 AM
All Yappi

CatAlum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
My all-time favorite Simpson's skit. The story...Bart and Homer convert to Catholicism. Marge, troubled, goes to see the Reverend Lovejoy, who explains..."different religion, different parts of heaven". Marge contemplates...

Over the years, religious groups have lauded The Simpson's (surprisingly to some) because religion is a common topic, treated with some respect.
Old 03-15-17, 11:37 AM
All World

BlueJayFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by D4fan View Post
Ronnie, not sure other posters want this to devolve into a debate on evolution vs creation.

I believe the earth is around six thousand years old.

To answer your next question, I believe when God created the universe, He did it in a way that had everything in motion as if it had been around for billions of years. Example, light from distant stars would need to be created along with the star itself so that man could see the star immediately upon creation.

At times I struggle with such a young age for Earth. My primary "evidence" for it being older though is not science, but rather recorded history of ancient Asian and other people's that date back more than the six thousand years. So, it may be a few thousand older.
It always boggles my mind when people say these things.
Old 03-15-17, 11:39 AM
All American

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
I think he is saying he thinks anyone who believes in those miracles is dumb. But I don't know

I do think it's odd we have had 2,000 year drought of divine intervention happening. Seems pretty wild considering biblical days we had cray cray sht happening left and right.
Old 03-15-17, 11:39 AM
Cooling Off

Quote:
I'm agnostic, but I don't know many Catholics who believe in the Bible literally.
Are there any Catholics that don't believe Christ wasnt brought from the dead?
Old 03-15-17, 11:45 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
Technically, it's because I married someone who is divorced but didn't get an annulment. Thus, every day I am literally living in sin, according to the Church.

I imagine I could get communion but it wouldn't be within the spirit of the Church's rules.
Old 03-15-17, 11:48 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Are there any Catholics that don't believe Christ wasnt brought from the dead?
I'm sure there are, but I was speaking mostly about the Old Testament. I think many people know the New Testament likely contains a lot of hyperbole.
Old 03-15-17, 11:55 AM
Cooling Off

Quote:
I'm sure there are, but I was speaking mostly about the Old Testament.
If you believe in Christ at all, you believe He was resurrected. And Ronnie thinks you're stupid. Typical, really. Everybody's talking about their different beliefs and no one is insulting each other... and here domes some "agnostic" atheist type bashing people. Ignorance at its finest. Yet, people like him want to bash Christians.

And the Resurrection applies to both Testaments.
Old 03-15-17, 11:58 AM
All American

Taco MacArthur can only hope to improve
Quote:
Everybody's talking about their different beliefs and no one is insulting each other... and here domes some "agnostic" atheist type bashing people.
Well that, and BlueJayFan.

However, I myself am similar to what a few others in here said. I was raised Catholic but not very religious. I am somewhat spiritual though and pull from a variety of religions based on what I like and agree with. And I'm okay with the fact not everyone is cool or agrees with that.
Old 03-15-17, 12:02 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
If you believe in Christ at all, you believe He was resurrected. And Ronnie thinks you're stupid. Typical, really. Everybody's talking about their different beliefs and no one is insulting each other... and here domes some "agnostic" atheist type bashing people. Ignorance at its finest. Yet, people like him want to bash Christians.

And the Resurrection applies to both Testaments.
So if people believe Jesus literally rose from the dead, they also believe the entire OT literally as well? Okay...
Old 03-15-17, 12:05 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post

However, I myself am similar to what a few others in here said. I was raised Catholic but not very religious. I am somewhat spiritual though and pull from a variety of religions based on what I like and agree with. And I'm okay with the fact not everyone is cool or agrees with that.
I think a lot of Catholics/christians believe the Bible, particularly the NT is a decent guideline to live by, but believe a lot of the Bible is highly hyperbolized storytelling. They tend to continue as Catholics/Christians more as a sense of identity and tradition.
Old 03-15-17, 12:07 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
So if people believe Jesus literally rose from the dead, they also believe the entire OT literally as well? Okay...
Please point out in the New Testament where it says Jesus didn't rise from the dead.
Old 03-15-17, 12:08 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Please point out in the New Testament where it says Jesus didn't rise from the dead.
What are you talking about?
Old 03-15-17, 12:09 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:

I'm ok with it too. But mocking Someone because of their beliefs in religion is an A hole move.
Old 03-15-17, 12:09 PM
All World

Quote:

My post @ D4 fan was not meant as an insult, just kind of shocked that people still believe this with all the scientific studies/evidence we have pointing elsewhere. He can believe what he wants.
Old 03-15-17, 12:11 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
What are you talking about?
If you believe in God and Jesus at all, then you believe in the Resurrection. The Old or New Testaments have nothing to do with that. So your buddy Ronnie just insulted every single person here who believes in Jesus. As if one miracle is less than another.
Old 03-15-17, 12:13 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I'm ok with it too. But mocking Someone because of their beliefs in religion is an A hole move.
It's not so much making fun of someone's beliefs as it is making fun of someone's complete lack of rational thinking.
Old 03-15-17, 12:16 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
So your buddy Ronnie just insulted every single person here who believes in Jesus.
King of the strawman strikes again. It's 100% possible to separate the idea of a resurrection and the idea that there actually did exist a man that fit the description of Jesus.
Old 03-15-17, 12:19 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
King of the strawman strikes again. It's 100% possible to separate the idea of a resurrection and the idea that there actually did exist a man that fit the description of Jesus.
There's no doubt Jesus existed. The documentation is clear on that. Not sure there any many people who don't believe in him and his teachings. You don't have to believe in miracles to believe his teachings should be heeded and modeled.
Old 03-15-17, 12:21 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
There's no doubt Jesus existed. The documentation is clear on that. Not sure there any many people who don't believe in him and his teachings. You don't have to believe in miracles to believe his teachings should be heeded and modeled.
Precisely.
Old 03-15-17, 12:31 PM
All Yappi

Here's another thing Slidebi doesn't understand, there is a spectrum of things people believe in when it comes to religion. People run the range from believing the Bible and the church teachings literally to figuratively. Some people evem stay in those communities just out of tradition and comfort without believing any of it.
Old 03-15-17, 12:39 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
King of the strawman strikes again. It's 100% possible to separate the idea of a resurrection and the idea that there actually did exist a man that fit the description of Jesus. You're by far the dumbest poster on this board.
Christians don't believe Jesus was just a "man". You think Christians or anyone that believe in the miracle of the Resurrection is "dumb". Be a man and don't backpeddle now.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: