Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-19-17, 06:36 PM
All District

pinem07 is on a distinguished road
Can Penn State break the record next year?

Iowa set the all time points record at the NCAA tournament with 170 back in 1997 with 5 champs and 8 total AA's. Can Penn State beat that next year?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-17, 07:15 PM
All American

eliwes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinem07 View Post
Iowa set the all time points record at the NCAA tournament with 170 back in 1997 with 5 champs and 8 total AA's. Can Penn State beat that next year?
no. they were lucky to have 5 champs
Old 03-19-17, 07:19 PM
All Ohio

Donkability is on a distinguished road
yes easily hate to say it but they are that good and young.
Old 03-19-17, 07:41 PM
All Region

knuck97 is on a distinguished road
They are going to be a lot better than this year with the addition of Lee and Soriano and Cortez back if they stay healthy they will break it for sure. They will have 9aa and at lease 6 champs. Not familiar on who they will have at 197 is the only reason I say 9aa.
Old 03-19-17, 08:19 PM
All Ohio

Divided42 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by knuck97 View Post
They are going to be a lot better than this year with the addition of Lee and Soriano and Cortez back if they stay healthy they will break it for sure. They will have 9aa and at lease 6 champs. Not familiar on who they will have at 197 is the only reason I say 9aa.
McCutcheon was Round of 12 this year basically wrestling up a weight and is only a junior. 4 197 AAs from this year's weight graduated so he's got a pretty solid shot at AAing next year.

I absolutely think they can make a run at the record next year though it's pretty doubtful they overtake it IMO. They had 146.5 points this year despite only getting 4.5 points from 125, 133, and 141 combined. How many is that going to be next year with a healthy Suriano, Cortez, and Nick Lee? Not sure but a lot more than 4.5, and I'd consevatively say over 20. Obviously things may not go as well for the upperweights as this year as neither Mark Hall or Joseph were the the best guys at their weight but won it this year anyway.
Old 03-19-17, 09:03 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
125: Suriano healthy is top 3-to-5 easily
133: Cortez healthy gets them something, who knows what though. I have no idea where they're at for alternatives roster wise
141: Gulibon was round of 12, I think Nick Lee can do similar to what Pletcher did this year in his true freshman campaign (i.e. 2-2 type performance)
149: Retherford, duh
157: Nolf, duh
165: Joseph won it this season, I would not tab him the favorite headed into next year, but he's certainly top three
174: Hall won it this season, I think Valencia was the best over the whole season, but he's certainly top three
184/197: Could see Nickal and McCutcheon flip, or could see them remain the same. Nickal is going to get the gold, while I think McCutcheon gets on the podium (is now two-time round of 12, I think)
285: Nevills is a top five type again
Old 03-19-17, 09:39 PM
All World

Lambeau Fields is on a distinguished road
As strong and as young as Penn State is, Dean, I-Mar, Tomasello, and Gilman all showed us this year what can happen to the favorites. Penn State shouldn't be measuring the trophy case for 5 or 6 individuals titles. That being said, I don't see how they aren't a huge favorite for the team title.
Old 03-19-17, 11:09 PM
All Region

wrestling125 is on a distinguished road
Hey bucksman, has it been said whether Spencer Lee and Daton Fix are slated to redshirt next year? Obviously Lee's knee will have an impact on that decision, but Iowa clearly needs him in the lineup with Gilman exiting. Although Fix is an upgrade from All American Piccininni, Okie St can definitely afford to sit him a year (obviously Picc is still really good). They will probably move Picc and Brock up to 133 and 141 in two years after Keil is done to make way for Fix. Just my guess though.
Old 03-19-17, 11:38 PM
All Yappi

wrestling125:

I have heard nothing decisive. Obviously both are "college ready".

I would guess that Spencer Lee wrestles "if healthy". I had heard that was the plan prior to this injury. He's already better than the existing 125 options in the Iowa "room" (i.e. not Gilman).

I don't "know" that Fix is an upgrade on Piccininni. Roster wise, they also have Boo Lewallen who needs to get in the lineup somewhere in the 133-149 range (Collica is gone). I have no "information" on the Oklahoma State plan.
Old 03-19-17, 11:46 PM
All American

Yankeefan33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
wrestling125:

I have heard nothing decisive. Obviously both are "college ready".

I would guess that Spencer Lee wrestles "if healthy". I had heard that was the plan prior to this injury. He's already better than the existing 125 options in the Iowa "room" (i.e. not Gilman).

I don't "know" that Fix is an upgrade on Piccininni. Roster wise, they also have Boo Lewallen who needs to get in the lineup somewhere in the 133-149 range (Collica is gone). I have no "information" on the Oklahoma State plan.
It's crazy to think Geordan Martinez transferred into a room where he will have to wrestle off to win the starting spot. Might be questioning that decision now... Boo Lewallen is tough. Had wins over Meredith, Palmer, and Gasca this year.
Old 03-20-17, 07:17 AM
All Ohio

Divided42 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestling125 View Post
Hey bucksman, has it been said whether Spencer Lee and Daton Fix are slated to redshirt next year? Obviously Lee's knee will have an impact on that decision, but Iowa clearly needs him in the lineup with Gilman exiting. Although Fix is an upgrade from All American Piccininni, Okie St can definitely afford to sit him a year (obviously Picc is still really good). They will probably move Picc and Brock up to 133 and 141 in two years after Keil is done to make way for Fix. Just my guess though.
I would say Iowa would be smart to punt next year and load up for future years by redshirting Lee and Warner. Obviously they would both help them out this next year teamwise, but Iowa isn't coming within 50 points of PSU next year at NCAAs no matter what they do. Just to many losses with Gilman, Clark, Carton, Meyer, and Brooks all graduating and not enough high level replacements. Why rush Lee back? Get healthy and lift so he's a full sized 125, no reason to waste a year of Lee when they have no shot at a title. This is especially true since Stoll also went down with another serious knee injury. Will he even be healthy for next year? Or ever? If not that's just another hole in Iowa's lineup. But I like Iowa's long term future with Lee, Teasdale, Kemerer, Marinelli, Warner, and Young who isn't a top 10 recruit like the rest but is someone I've always been high on.
Old 03-20-17, 04:08 PM
All Yappi

I forgot about Geordan Martinez, who was probably brought in with the thought of being the successor to Collica.

Iowa's 2012 class was a No. 1 recruiting class overall, so it's natural that they're able to bring in Lee and Warner together this year. They can't outright "punt" the season as the expectation is there to compete year-to-year, and their incumbents have already redshirted as it is, but I would be tempted not to use Lee and Warner next year if I was them.
Old 03-20-17, 04:54 PM
All Region

kessen157
Quote:
I forgot about Geordan Martinez, who was probably brought in with the thought of being the successor to Collica.

Iowa's 2012 class was a No. 1 recruiting class overall, so it's natural that they're able to bring in Lee and Warner together this year. They can't outright "punt" the season as the expectation is there to compete year-to-year, and their incumbents have already redshirted as it is, but I would be tempted not to use Lee and Warner next year if I was them.
I have seen on the Iowa forums that the plan is to RS Lee and I thought I read Lee wanted to RS but that might be fake news.
Old 03-20-17, 07:12 PM
Junior Varsity

Bear73 is on a distinguished road
Can they? yes Will they? I don't think so. Even if they get 8 or 9 AA's a lot of things have to go right to score 170 points and there are too many good wrestlers in D-1 wrestling for that to happen.
Old 03-21-17, 12:09 AM
All American

Yankeefan33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I forgot about Martinez too, until I looked at returning wrestlers. There are NINE former All-Americans that took a redshirt this year: Millhof, Moisey, Pantaleo, Martinez, Tsirtsis, McFadden, Renda, Coon, and Dhesi (at least I think Dhesi will get a 6th year, I'm not positive). Last year there was one (Medbery, and Snyder's got pulled).