Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-24-18, 04:00 PM
Junior Varsity

Qualifer17 is on a distinguished road
Central District Location

Haven’t come across this yet on the forum so I figured I’d let everyone know, as of about 2wks ago, the Central District will no longer be held at Watkins and instead Hilliard Darby (Home of the 2017 MMOC).

http://www.cdab.org/sports/cc/default.htm

Last edited by Qualifer17; 07-25-18 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: Grammar Mistake
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-18, 09:13 PM
All District

PatHelgerman is on a distinguished road
In a way, Watkins deserves this for shafting Marty Dauhman. But, my girls will miss going there and so will I. I have lots of memories of that place that I would never trade, good and bad.

I've never been to Darby. Does it have the character that Watkins has? What is it like?
Old 07-25-18, 10:10 AM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
No it does not have character like Watkins. It is tabletop flat and open. On the plus side it is a better course for watching. And there is a much lower likelihood of a terrain related injury.
Old 07-25-18, 11:07 AM
All American

Rohbino is on a distinguished road
Here is a picture of the Darby course:

Old 07-25-18, 03:52 PM
All District

Just to clarify, my comment was about the Watkins administration. I think the coaching staff could probably pick up and run the meet really well. They are good people with lots of experience.

@Rohbino that's funny!

Last edited by PatHelgerman; 07-25-18 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: emoji didn't work
Old 07-26-18, 07:06 PM
All District

insidecorner is on a distinguished road
That is very sad news. Watkins really has a lot of great memories for me and my family. I remember trying to catch a glimpse of my kids by the trailer right before they come out of the woods on each loop. Hilliard Darby is a better place to watch, but it really is a "speed" course, not a strength course. Rohbino's picture is about right...
Old 07-27-18, 09:55 AM
All American

Rohbino is on a distinguished road
Is there a reason that Liberty Park in Powell can't be used? It is now Ohio Wesleyan's home course and the NCAA D3 Great Lakes Regional meet was held there is 2017. It is also the site of this year's NCAC league championship meet. If it's good enough for those meets it should be good enough for the Central District regional meet. Ohio Wesleyan is also hosting their invite there in September. The course is certainly better than Darby's. This year would not work because the NCAC meet is on October 27, the same day as the regional meet, but perhaps it should be considered as a venue for future years.
Old 07-27-18, 11:44 AM
All District

Parking and access restrictions might be factors with Liberty park. I was thinking Lancaster personally. It would be interesting to hear the story of the politics behind this.

I wonder how many tens of thousands of dollars this will cost Watkins since you can figure attendance at their invitational will probably start to decline next year.
Old 07-27-18, 01:25 PM
All Ohio

Newton's Third is on a distinguished road
It is normal at the regional level and the district level usually follows to find a good meet manager, not a course. Then the course follows if it can handle parking, spectators, and other necessities. Maybe potential meet managers near Liberty Park and Lancaster were not interested in hosting.
Old 07-28-18, 10:30 AM
All American

Parking would definitely be an issue with Liberty Park. It is a nice course (my sonís first XC race was there) and I have seen a couple college races there. But as Newtonís Third said, the race goes where there is a willing meet manager with a facility that can handle crowds and parking.
Old 07-29-18, 09:50 PM
All American

Running Man 101 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathking View Post
Parking would definitely be an issue with Liberty Park. It is a nice course (my sonís first XC race was there) and I have seen a couple college races there. But as Newtonís Third said, the race goes where there is a willing meet manager with a facility that can handle crowds and parking.
Liberty can handle a District race. They parked in the church last year for the Regional D3 race.

Not a bad place to watch either. Better than VOA.
Old 07-29-18, 10:46 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Man 101 View Post
Liberty can handle a District race. They parked in the church last year for the Regional D3 race.

Not a bad place to watch either. Better than VOA.
They probably don't have enough parking to handle the central district meet. I was at the NCAA D3 regional race last year. There would probably be several times more spectators for the district meet. Definitely way more buses. For boys there will be 54 teams in D1, 26 in D2 and 27 in D3. (107 total) For the girls there will be 49 in D1, 23 in D2 and 28 in D3. (100 total) Some of those won't field full teams but there will still be over 80 full teams for both boys and girls. There is considerably less parking available than at Watkins. Bus parking alone will be a big issue, and traffic there tends to back up easily.