Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-11-19, 12:43 PM
All Region

zebrastripes is on a distinguished road
2019 NFHS Rules Changes

http://nfhs.org/articles/40-second-p...tball-changes/

A few major changes forthcoming...

-40-second play clock
-States can adopt instant replay for postseason (Will the OHSAA?)
-Tripping the runner is now a foul
-Horse-collar tackle now includes the nameplate
-Legal formation is now 5 linemen instead of 7 plus no more than 4 in the backfield
-Illegal kicking/batting reduced from a 15- to 10-yard penalty
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-19, 12:55 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Like the 40 second clock.
Replay. Eh. Maybe for the finals.
Always thought tripping was a foul.

Not certain what the 5 lineman instead of 7 means...Can you explain? Do you mean 5 on the LOS instead of 7?
Old 02-11-19, 01:01 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Like the 40 second clock.
Replay. Eh. Maybe for the finals.

Not certain what the 5 lineman instead of 7 means...Can you explain? Do you mean 5 on the LOS instead of 7?
Previously it was a foul to trip an opponent other than the runner.

Team A formerly had to have at least 7 on its line for a legal formation. The new rule (which, like others, is a trickle-down from college) is that you can't have more than 4 in the backfield and at least 5 on the line (which is not a college rule). The rationale is that it's easier for the wing officials to identify (il)legal formations (it's easier to count backs than linemen). This is a welcome rule change among most officials.
Old 02-11-19, 01:04 PM
All Ohio

cincifbfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebrastripes View Post
http://nfhs.org/articles/40-second-p...tball-changes/

A few major changes forthcoming...

-40-second play clock
-States can adopt instant replay for postseason (Will the OHSAA?)
-Tripping the runner is now a foul
-Horse-collar tackle now includes the nameplate
-Legal formation is now 5 linemen instead of 7 plus no more than 4 in the backfield
-Illegal kicking/batting reduced from a 15- to 10-yard penalty
I like the 40 second play clock idea... make it consistent from NFL to high school. This should speed up the game too. This could hurt some of the teams that control the clock and pound the ball, I'm looking at you Triple Option, Wishbone, and Wing-T guys.

Tripping seemed like a no brainer to finally incorporate for the runner.

I don't like the horse-collar.... this adds ambiguity and "judgment" to that call now. Was he at the name plate, close to it, and how close is too close when they call horse collar? Seems like more muddy water for officials and a headache for defenses. I never understood the horse-collar penalty. I have never seen a person get hurt by a horse-collar tackle. I have seen defenders get seriously injured by the running back "stiff-arming" a defender in the face. The fact that they don't actually use a "stiff-arm" any more, but a violent open handed punch to defender's face. Why are runners the only people allowed to attack a face mask??

Illegal kicking/batting shouldn't make a huge difference as that is such a rare call that almost nobody will ever see that in their typical Friday night games.

Replay..... oh the fun starts now. I don't see OHSAA implementing it in Playoffs. I despise replay. It hasn't made the game any better on the NFL or collegiate level whatsoever. It allows refs to twist calls so they can defer to replay. It has made officiating worse and very lazy.

The Line of Scrimmage rule. I don't understand this one. You only need 5 on the line of scrimmage now? But no more than 4 backs? Am I missing something in my extremely limited understanding of elementary math? 5+4 = 9 right? What constitutes a back? Does this mean the O-line (tackles in particular) can be yards off the ball for pass pro? Again, this muddies things up on who is a back and who is not, but could be wonderful to a coach who can make his formations unique and put his players in better situations to be successful. This is bad for defenses, which just about every rule is anymore.
Old 02-11-19, 01:09 PM
Freshman

Far East is on a distinguished road
if you have four backs, qb, rb, fb, and flanker but your tight end forgets to go in the game so you only have 10 men it would still be a legal formation because you only had 4 backs?
Old 02-11-19, 01:11 PM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
You could legally trip the ball carrier, nobody else.
Old 02-11-19, 01:13 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Far East View Post
if you have four backs, qb, rb, fb, and flanker but your tight end forgets to go in the game so you only have 10 men it would still be a legal formation because you only had 4 backs?
With five linemen numbered 50-79 , yes.

Last edited by chs1971; 02-11-19 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-11-19, 01:25 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
With respect to the horse collar - by "nameplate" is it referring to the back part of the jersey collar, separate from the shoulder pads? So grabbing just the jersey there ( and not the pads ) constitutes a violation?

Since becoming aware of the horse collar penalty, I've seen a number of jersey grabs from rear, usually in the middle of the back, where the defender can yank a runner down and backwards to the ground. I've wondered if the rule will ever be amended to include that type of tackle as well, because it seems to have a higher injury potential also.
Old 02-11-19, 01:43 PM
All American

Football 101 is on a distinguished road
I would guess that the rule would be explained more thoroughly during the annual "rules interpretation" meetings held for all refs and head coaches during the summer

the interpretation and how it will be called for the tripping and the back of jersey

as far as the men on LOS I would guess that change is just an update of language that you don't necessarily need to have 7 linemen rather 5 linemen and 7 players on the LOS with 5 being linemen because of spread offenses using WR as the ends
Old 02-11-19, 01:50 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football 101 View Post
as far as the men on LOS I would guess that change is just an update of language that you don't necessarily need to have 7 linemen rather 5 linemen and 7 players on the LOS with 5 being linemen because of spread offenses using WR as the ends
No. By rule, a lineman is anyone on the LOS. It doesn't matter if they are centers, guards, tackles, tight ends, split ends, or normally play running back. Anyone on the LOS is lineman.
Old 02-11-19, 01:52 PM
All Ohio

There is no penalty for playing with 10 on the field as long as you had the right number on the LOS. If that is what this rule is saying, then this is a 100% pointless rule.
Old 02-11-19, 01:56 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincifbfan View Post
There is no penalty for playing with 10 on the field as long as you had the right number on the LOS. If that is what this rule is saying, then this is a 100% pointless rule.
It's never been a foul to snap the ball with less than 11 as long as there was 7 on the line. It's still not a foul as long as there aren't more than 4 backs nor fewer than 5 linemen.
Old 02-11-19, 02:02 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
It's never been a foul to snap the ball with less than 11 as long as there was 7 on the line. It's still not a foul as long as there aren't more than 4 backs nor fewer than 5 linemen.
I know this, which makes this rule completely useless. As I stated, I see it as a way to have OT not on the line now, and be even further back than they already are. Too many refs don't call it when they are clearly in the backfield, now the argument will simply be, you only need 5 on the line.
Old 02-11-19, 02:06 PM
All World

Quote:
I know this, which makes this rule completely useless. As I stated, I see it as a way to have OT not on the line now, and be even further back than they already are.
Except that you still cannot have 5 in the backfield.
Old 02-11-19, 02:07 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Hate the 40 second clock. Should be 35 or even 30. Just like college and the NFL, it will turn into 42-45 seconds because they rarely start it at the end of the last play.

With the 25 second clock, the time started when the ball was placed into play which was at a point where no action was taking place. Now an official will have to start the 40 second clock while still watching the end of the last play. It's too complicated and creates more wasted time.
Old 02-11-19, 02:21 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
Except that you still cannot have 5 in the backfield.
Agree, except most of the time they are already in the backfield and it doesn't get called. The lineman's head is supposed to clearly break the center's belt. I see it so often where the helmet of the tackles is way behind that, so far that there is a noticeable gap between the guard's butt and the front most portion of the tackle's helmet.

I also see where the Wideouts who are not supposed to be on LOS are on the LOS. This is a major issue at the NFL, Collegiate and high school levels. The very clear cut barriers of who is and is not on LOS is blurred beyond recognition.

Don't make new rules that don't make sense, enforce rules properly, such as false starts. It is sad seeing the sloppy no calls of the flinching, moving O-linemen in every single game I watch. They get set, move, get set again, get out of their stances, and some never get set for the full 1 second that they are supposed to before the ball is snapped.
Old 02-11-19, 02:29 PM
All Region

I bet we will see more and more schools purchasing visible play clocks. In a few years they may even be required by the OHSAA.

The question is...can schools find someone competent enough to run it?
Old 02-11-19, 02:53 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
The question is...can schools find someone competent enough to run it?
I think the answer is no. Watched a few games this past season with visible play clocks. Lots of problems with the person running it. I'm sure the official on the field makes similar mistakes from time to time but they can cover it up. When the play clock never starts, everyone in the stands sees it.
Old 02-11-19, 03:12 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
I think the answer is no. Watched a few games this past season with visible play clocks. Lots of problems with the person running it. I'm sure the official on the field makes similar mistakes from time to time but they can cover it up. When the play clock never starts, everyone in the stands sees it.
I have to agree with the no sentiment. Many schools have a hard enough time just trying to find someone to film the games properly without all the shaking extra zoomed in or so wide that the players look like ants.
Old 02-11-19, 04:01 PM
All Yappi

thePITman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
A change in the definition of a legal scrimmage formation was approved. A legal scrimmage formation now requires at least five offensive players on their line of scrimmage (instead of seven) with no more than four backs. The committee noted that this change will make it easier to identify legal and illegal offensive formations.
So this means that nobody has to be on the line of scrimmage except the 5 linemen, but could have more if they wanted, correct? Also, what is the definition of a "back?"
Old 02-11-19, 04:13 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePITman View Post
So this means that nobody has to be on the line of scrimmage except the 5 linemen, but could have more if they wanted, correct? Also, what is the definition of a "back?"
Correct. Must have five or more on the line and four or less in the backfield.

A “back” is any player who does not, at the snap, penetrate an imaginary line drawn parallel to the line of scrimmage through the waist of the nearest teammate legally on the line (except for a back taking a snap under center).

Last edited by zebrastripes; 02-11-19 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-11-19, 05:15 PM
Varsity

Sean5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePITman View Post
No, still need 7 on the line of scrimmage. If one of the WRs is not in the game and you only have 10 players on the field as long as only 4 are off the line of scrimmage you have a legal formation.
Old 02-11-19, 06:02 PM
All Ohio

dograt is on a distinguished road
sounds like its just easier for the officials to count. Unbalanced formations can sometimes be tricky. 4 in the backfield is easier to see.
Old 02-11-19, 07:24 PM
All World

AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
There will be a learning curve, but in the states that the 40/25 was tested, it was a success.

Remedies the disparities in how each crew puts the ball ready for play. Some are lightning fast, some are slow as snails.
Old 02-11-19, 07:25 PM
All World

AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean5 View Post
No, still need 7 on the line of scrimmage. If one of the WRs is not in the game and you only have 10 players on the field as long as only 4 are off the line of scrimmage you have a legal formation.
7 is no longer the number.
Old 02-11-19, 07:35 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by dograt View Post
sounds like its just easier for the officials to count. Unbalanced formations can sometimes be tricky. 4 in the backfield is easier to see.
Exactly correct.
Old 02-11-19, 07:46 PM
All World

Quote:
I also see where the Wideouts who are not supposed to be on LOS are on the LOS. This is a major issue at the NFL, Collegiate and high school levels. The very clear cut barriers of who is and is not on LOS is blurred beyond recognition.
At every level officials are told not to get too technical with this. If there is a slight stagger between two WR's that's good enough.

Quote:
Don't make new rules that don't make sense,
This is a 4 in the backfield rule change is something officials have wanted and they do understand it, even though you pretend that you don't.
Old 02-11-19, 08:06 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
At every level officials are told not to get too technical with this. If there is a slight stagger between two WR's that's good enough.

This is a 4 in the backfield rule change is something officials have wanted and they do understand it, even though you pretend that you don't.
Ok, so officials are told not to follow the rules and a slight stagger is good enough? Then why have the rule. It is very clear and most of the time it's not followed.

As for the 4 in backfield rule, that's always been the rule, never have u been allowed to have 5 in backfield. I understand this, the rule is redundant.
Old 02-11-19, 08:17 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
Remedies the disparities in how each crew puts the ball ready for play. Some are lightning fast, some are slow as snails.
Agreed with that. My preference was always for the official that put the ball into play quickly. I've always thought it was a little unfair that late in a game, the official would put the ball into play quickly when the offense is trailing and take normal time if the offense is in the lead. That is the one place that I prefer the 40 second time clock. With that said, I would still prefer 35 seconds.

Really enjoyed watching the AAF this weekend because of the shorter time clock.
Old 02-11-19, 09:05 PM
All Region

Quote:
You need to rethink this.
You're right. I edited.