Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-10-19, 11:14 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Getting rid of the kickoff?

Watching the new Alliance of American Football, one of the pleasant surprises was the quick transition after a score by eliminating the kickoff. It makes sense at the highest levels because most professional teams have kickers that can kick it through the endzone.

In HS, it's a little different. Some teams can easily reach the endzone on a kickoff while other teams might be lucky to get it to the other teams 30. By getting rid of the kickoff, it would benefit those not blessed with great kickers.

So what do you say, get rid of the kick off and start every possession at the 25 or keep the kickoff?

Also, one of the arguments against getting rid of the kickoff is onside kicks. The compromise would be for the "kicking team" to start with the ball at their own 40 with it being 4th and 20. Fail to pick up a first down and the other team takes over at the spot of the ball.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-19, 11:18 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
No, do not get rid of the kickoff. It takes away an effective kicking game, and also an effective return game.

You talk of the AAF, but wait till the XFL. They are said to be ensuring a return will be had on every kickoff which I think will be cool.

It isnt the kickoff people want to see, it is the return. The NFL ruined it with so many TB's and college made of joke of it by calling for a FC and getting it at the 25 no matter what..
Old 02-10-19, 11:52 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
If you want to make the change then let the kicking team decide if they want to kick it or have the ball spotted on the 30.
Old 02-11-19, 12:18 AM
All District

CoachD31 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
If you want to make the change then let the kicking team decide if they want to kick it or have the ball spotted on the 30.
That could be interesting.
Old 02-11-19, 03:34 AM
All Yappi

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Watching the new Alliance of American Football, one of the pleasant surprises was the quick transition after a score by eliminating the kickoff. It makes sense at the highest levels because most professional teams have kickers that can kick it through the endzone.

In HS, it's a little different. Some teams can easily reach the endzone on a kickoff while other teams might be lucky to get it to the other teams 30. By getting rid of the kickoff, it would benefit those not blessed with great kickers.

So what do you say, get rid of the kick off and start every possession at the 25 or keep the kickoff?

Also, one of the arguments against getting rid of the kickoff is onside kicks. The compromise would be for the "kicking team" to start with the ball at their own 40 with it being 4th and 20. Fail to pick up a first down and the other team takes over at the spot of the ball.

In high school football, a good kicker is a weapon. Itís a lot easier to have your defense cover 80 yards instead of 60. I for one like the new leagues removal of kickoffs and would be for it in high school. Also my school has never had a good kicker so my opinion is extremely biased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-19, 06:52 AM
Junior Varsity

mountain view is on a distinguished road
what about the on-side kick
Old 02-11-19, 08:59 AM
All District

TheJect is on a distinguished road
Maybe the receiving team can have the option of taking the ball on the 25-yard line or receive a kickoff.
Old 02-11-19, 09:34 AM
All American

Off_Tackle08 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain view View Post
what about the on-side kick
This is the only reason that kickoffs should not be eliminated. I think they adjusted for that in the new league by giving the option to take the ball 4th and 10 from the -30. If you get a first, it's pretty much like an onside, except a lot easier to make happen.
Old 02-11-19, 09:37 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
In high school football, a good kicker is a weapon. Itís a lot easier to have your defense cover 80 yards instead of 60. I for one like the new leagues removal of kickoffs and would be for it in high school. Also my school has never had a good kicker so my opinion is extremely biased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We generally have a solid kicker and it is not uncommon to have a touchback, especially earlier in the season when it is a bit warmer. Making teams go 80 yards for a score is a huge benefit.
Old 02-11-19, 12:44 PM
All Region

zebrastripes is on a distinguished road
The rules changes were released about an hour ago. The kickoff has not been eliminated for 2019.
Old 02-11-19, 01:07 PM
All World

Caleb is on a distinguished road
The kickoff will be eliminated from the NFL within the next 5 to 10 years. If you watch the games you actually see very few kick returns even on kickoff's that look to be very returnable like only 3 yards deep. Coaches are taking their chances starting at the 25 yard line. My guess is there's enough stats showing most kicks are not returned to at least the 25 yard line. As far as the on-side kick the NFL has changed the rules to it being next to impossible to recover your on-side kick because you have to keep the same number of players on each side of the ball instead of stacking everybody on one side of the ball. We all know what starts in the NFL is most likely to flow down to the college level then the high school level. It's just the way it is.
Old 02-11-19, 03:00 PM
All Ohio

bop is on a distinguished road
After watching the game on Saturday night, I say take it out. Make the game safer. It also could shorten practice time. Negative is that some young kids in lower divisions, letter playing special teams. Fewer kids would get a letter in the smaller schools. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
Old 02-11-19, 03:28 PM
All Ohio

cincifbfan is on a distinguished road
How long will it be before punts are gone then? Why is the focus on Kickoff? The ball is in the air longer for most punts. You still have people screaming down the field at full speed and can absolutely destroy a player returning the punt.

It's the kickoff today, punts tomorrow, and who knows what's next.

We can seriously take away almost every head injury in the game by getting rid of the face mask and having soft shoulder pads and soft helmet. You no longer will have a weapon to permanently injure someone. People will then actually hit/tackle correctly or the tackler will be hurt. It's easy to try to hurt other people when it doesn't take a toll on you, but if you're going to injure yourself now, you will think twice and just execute a proper tackle without trying to demolish someone into oblivion.

It's a simple fix that people don't want to talk about because they think it will be going backwards and become more dangerous, it won't.

While we are at it, get rid of turf, I see more concussions and injuries caused by turf than I ever did with grass fields. We see broken legs, ACL tears, etc. when the player's leg "gets caught" in the turf. Turf is not safer, nor is it more economical. BRING BACK THE MUDDY GAMES!!!!
Old 02-11-19, 03:36 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincifbfan View Post
How long will it be before punts are gone then? Why is the focus on Kickoff? The ball is in the air longer for most punts. You still have people screaming down the field at full speed and can absolutely destroy a player returning the punt.

It's the kickoff today, punts tomorrow, and who knows what's next.

We can seriously take away almost every head injury in the game by getting rid of the face mask and having soft shoulder pads and soft helmet. You no longer will have a weapon to permanently injure someone. People will then actually hit/tackle correctly or the tackler will be hurt. It's easy to try to hurt other people when it doesn't take a toll on you, but if you're going to injure yourself now, you will think twice and just execute a proper tackle without trying to demolish someone into oblivion.

It's a simple fix that people don't want to talk about because they think it will be going backwards and become more dangerous, it won't.

While we are at it, get rid of turf, I see more concussions and injuries caused by turf than I ever did with grass fields. We see broken legs, ACL tears, etc. when the player's leg "gets caught" in the turf. Turf is not safer, nor is it more economical. BRING BACK THE MUDDY GAMES!!!!
At the lower levels especially there are a lot less PR's than KO's.
Also, on a PR pretty much every member of the kicking team is blocking for a time before covering and the collissions are much less.