Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-06-19, 08:15 AM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Mentor's Coach Trivisonno says 2019 is final season

The 2019 season will be the 23rd, and final, season as head coach of the Mentor football program for alum Steve Trivisonno. He is the face of the program and is most responsible for the program becoming what it is today.

Triv came to Mentor in 1997 and soon guided Mentor to back-to-back playoff appearances in his 2nd and 3rd season. That was the first step...making the playoffs with some type of regularity. Mentor's first real shot at a state championship team centered on "The Class." This group had many sophomore starters for a 7-3 (non-playoff) team in 2001 before taking a big step in 2002 and 2003. Both teams were regional finalists, the first time in Mentor history. Unfortunately, both came up short to power house teams (WGH and St Eds) that would eventually be state runners-up.

The next step was winning the region. This happened in 2006 as Mentor defeated WGH at Massillon. The following week (same location), Mentor beat McKinley to secure their first state final. Losing heartbreaking 2OT fashion, Mentor's team was back for more in 2007 as they once again made the state title game.

2011-2018 has been the peak of the program. It included multiple wins over St Ignatius and St Edward in big playoff games, three Region 1 titles, and two state runners-up. Possibly the two teams best suited to win it all (2011 and 2018) were unable to crack the code of eventual state championship teams, St Ignatius and St Edward. It also featured the likes of some fantastic individual players. It starts with 2012 Mr. Football (and eventual #2 pick in the NFL draft), Mitch(ell) Trubisky. Lots of other fantastic players to list during that time, many went on to play DI and even several for Big Ten schools.

Triv might be remembered by some for his shortcomings. He has some, we all do. On various threads throughout the years, those shortcomings have been addressed. But I think it would only be fair to keep the thread focused on the positives.

Triv enters his final season with a 196-69 record, 200 wins are in sight. Triv has 15 playoff seasons, five Region 1 titles, a 4-1 record in state semifinals, numerous playoff wins, and a winning record against the legendary Chuck Kyle of St Ignatius. What a career. What a story it would be for Mentor to win a state championship under Triv. But if not, he has a legendary career that nobody can take away from him.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-19, 08:25 AM
#BleedBlack&Gold

BlackandGold is on a distinguished road
Wow! You called this in the LEL thread. Just happened sooner than later. Congrats to Triv on a fine coaching career!
Old 02-06-19, 08:31 AM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackandGold View Post
Wow! You called this in the LEL thread. Just happened sooner than later. Congrats to Triv on a fine coaching career!

He retired from teaching three or four years ago. It was just a matter of time. I think he would have retired in a blaze of glory by now had Mentor found a way to win it all in 2017 or 2018. Had they already won a state title by now, he might have retired coaching the same year he retired teaching. That drive to win it all (for his players, former players, community, and himself) is obviously important to him and has been a driving factor for him continuing.
Old 02-06-19, 08:52 AM
All District

TheJect is on a distinguished road
He is definitely the face of the program. Good luck to Mentor this fall and best of luck to Triv.
Old 02-06-19, 08:58 AM
All Ohio

tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
Amazing career. Thanks for all of the stats and insight cardzfan. I enjoyed reading your post. Best of luck to the guy that put Lake County on the map in the biggest division in the state on the biggest stage.
Old 02-06-19, 09:31 AM
All District

ceebass13 is on a distinguished road
Triv has turned the Mentor program into a well oiled machine. I hope to see their success continue for many years.
Old 02-06-19, 09:53 AM
All World

Egret has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Ton of respect for Coach Triv. Best of luck in your final season and whatever you choose to do in the future.
Old 02-06-19, 10:07 AM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
We've been thinking he'd retire early for years. I just thought he'd go at least two years in order to be here for Kipp and his senior year

Odds are against us winning this year but it would be a heck of a story

Great career and he will be missed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-06-19, 10:20 AM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Helluva offensive coach. Helluva QB factory.

We had some great games together, and his ps record vs. great private schools speaks well. Also their hurry-up O was the best I ever seen in person.
Old 02-06-19, 10:37 AM
All District

FightingCardinal is on a distinguished road
Triv says he will likely become an assistant coach, probably in college, but he is done as a head coach...

https://www.news-herald.com/sports/h...3da757842.html
Old 02-06-19, 12:19 PM
All District

FightingCardinal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorGrad2002 View Post
We've been thinking he'd retire early for years. I just thought he'd go at least two years in order to be here for Kipp and his senior year

Odds are against us winning this year but it would be a heck of a story

Great career and he will be missed

The problem with saying you will stay until someone graduates is there is so often another special player who comes along...Tanski, Trubisky, Krizancic, Tatarunas, Kipp… not to mention positions besides QB..
I think that Triv wanted to get to 200 wins, and he will be leaving the program in great shape with Kipp being a senior for the next coach.
Even if he had won a state championship last year, I think he would have had a tough time leaving at 199 wins.
Old 02-06-19, 06:49 PM
Varsity

Publican is on a distinguished road
Triv is a nice guy and its great he can leave on his own terms.
Old 02-07-19, 08:01 AM
#BleedBlack&Gold

BlackandGold is on a distinguished road
It would be a wonderful honor if Triv assisted at Riverside like Coach Andersen did at Mentor to help continue the turn around of the program. The Beavers program is on the upswing and I think he would bring a lot to help take Riverside to a higher level in D2.
Old 02-07-19, 09:26 AM
All Ohio

James x2 is on a distinguished road
Any idea on who would take over the program? And will the supporters be prepared if the Cards remain good but not dominating? It is easy to get spoiled and boy have you guys had a run of QB talent like none other.
Old 02-07-19, 10:42 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by James x2 View Post
Any idea on who would take over the program? And will the supporters be prepared if the Cards remain good but not dominating? It is easy to get spoiled and boy have you guys had a run of QB talent like none other.

I think most of us have too much respect for Triv to be talking about it til the season ends publicly. Let the man enjoy his going out party all year. I'll worry about that after

I've been going to games since I was like 5 so I'm not going anywhere It's high school football. I don't think it's serious enough for frontrunner type fans you get in college or pro games. Parents friends and community members will still go

Old 02-07-19, 10:51 AM
Freshman

EdsFan82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingCardinal View Post
Triv says he will likely become an assistant coach, probably in college, but he is done as a head coach...

https://www.news-herald.com/sports/h...3da757842.html
Interesting... Wish him best of luck. Great coach and fantastic career. Much respect.
Old 02-07-19, 10:52 AM
All District

frs1930 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Paging Tiger LaVerde....
Old 02-07-19, 12:15 PM
All American

mustang fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think most of us have too much respect for Triv to be talking about it til the season ends publicly. Let the man enjoy his going out party all year. I'll worry about that after...
Whoever gets that job...That will be one tough act to follow. Good luck with that!
Closing out his regular season coaching career at Strongsville...Haven't been to a Mustang football game in years, but, I'll plan on being there for that one!
Old 02-07-19, 12:19 PM
All American

OUcats82 is on a distinguished road
Have only ever followed his teams from a distance but have seen them play on TV and am always happy to see them notch wins over Iggy and Eds with some consistency.

He truly has a program and not just a team as success has been consistent and not just when the school has a group of great players come through.

Will he stay in the area after retirement or relocate somewhere without lake effect snow?
Old 02-07-19, 04:03 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
I think most of us have too much respect for Triv to be talking about it til the season ends publicly. Let the man enjoy his going out party all year. I'll worry about that after

I've been going to games since I was like 5 so I'm not going anywhere It's high school football. I don't think it's serious enough for frontrunner type fans you get in college or pro games. Parents friends and community members will still go

See Massillon fans as an example of football supporters who get antsy and they can't hold a candle to Mentors successes recently.
Old 02-07-19, 04:05 PM
All Ohio

Wink Title town USA..

I would not be surprised to receive a reprimand from Tiger Country...…...Three,two,one…:

Last edited by James x2; 02-07-19 at 04:11 PM. Reason: add
Old 02-07-19, 06:29 PM
All World

Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
It will be interesting to see who comes in and if that person is able to continue the success Trivisonno has had making Mentor the best D1 public school program in the state. As for people clambering for Tiger Leverde - slime to no chance. He has a machine rolling in Kirtland and he has young football playing kids in the program. The cupboard is constantly being filled in Kirtland with the youth program he has developed. Should be a lot of interest in the job - unless Trivisonno has his hand picked replacement already picked.
Old 02-07-19, 07:49 PM
All World

Egret has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
I would not be surprised to receive a reprimand from Tiger Country...…...Three,two,one…:
Don't hold your breath. When idiotic posts like this come out we choose to ignore them and recognize the idiot that posted it for what he is.....an idiot.
Old 02-07-19, 10:59 PM
All American

my2sense is an unknown quantity at this point
You don't want to be the guy to replace Triv. You want to be the guy to replace the guy.
Old 02-09-19, 01:14 PM
All American

JJBulldog is on a distinguished road
He's been a great high school coach and few can argue he's the best not to win a title. His wins over powerhouse privates in the playoffs will be remembered for decades. Best of luck in your final year @ Mentor Coach Triv!
Old 02-09-19, 01:17 PM
All Ohio

fbrox is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
You don't want to be the guy to replace Triv. You want to be the guy to replace the guy.
Nick Alexander?? Would he leave his new gig at Walsh to come home after one year? Mentor is the better job.
Old 02-09-19, 02:03 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egret View Post
Don't hold your breath. When idiotic posts like this come out we choose to ignore them and recognize the idiot that posted it for what he is.....an idiot.
Yea ,I'm an idiot...ok.Takes all kinds to be butt hurt.Stand by what I said.I could give a shyte whether you ignore it or not.But for the record you didn't ignore the comment.And nobody's trolling the Tigers.At least my school does not run from playing Mentor every year whether we are in a conference with them or not.FWIW. Add another R in front of your name while your at it.

Last edited by James x2; 02-09-19 at 02:12 PM. Reason: add
Old 02-09-19, 04:48 PM
All American

sehs
Ton of respect for Triv as a coach at a public school that refuses to back down from the Eds and Ignatius programs. He's beaten them back to back in the playoffs and that is something that many cannot say. Mentor is an elite program because of him.
Old 02-09-19, 07:37 PM
All Ohio

fbrox is on a distinguished road
He could have had at least two state titles if they emphasized any kind of defense. The loss to HD especially is still painful to think about.
Old 02-09-19, 10:54 PM
All Yappi

Mentor's Coach Trivisonno says 2019 is final season

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrox View Post
He could have had at least two state titles if they emphasized any kind of defense. The loss to HD especially is still painful to think about.

I agree with this but you're pointing to the wrong year here. Mentor defense in 2006 was good enough to win the title. Just had two good teams in the finals and a play here or there didn't go our way

Triv is a great coach. Took us to the highest level except finally getting the title. There are many coaches they can hire that would be worse. But unlike krizancic where I can't imagine upgrading , there are coaches out there that can be as good or better than Triv

The group is a very small one but there are some unlike with coach K. And any new coach cleaning up the d side of the ball would help the program. A few assistants are around that wouldn't be without a lot of loyalty