Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Closed Thread

Old 02-05-19, 04:25 PM
Grand Inquisitor

Baron Von Steuben is on a distinguished road
Post Bellaire St. John Closing

Per WTRF (Wheeling). Declining enrollment.

https://www.wtrf.com/community/st-jo...ors/1757021701
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-19, 04:38 PM
All American

StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
That's unfortunate but certainly won't be the last school to close. I could see a lot of consolidations/closures happening over the next decade or more across the state.
Old 02-05-19, 10:16 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Steuben View Post
Per WTRF (Wheeling). Declining enrollment.

https://www.wtrf.com/community/st-jo...ors/1757021701
Sad but it was only a matter of time. How many Catholic HSs are left in the Diocese of Steubenville? Steubenville CC and Ironton St. Joe, any others?
Old 02-05-19, 10:36 PM
All American

The Dock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
Sad but it was only a matter of time. How many Catholic HSs are left in the Diocese of Steubenville? Steubenville CC and Ironton St. Joe, any others?
Just those two, Iím pretty sure. I believe that Ironton St. Joe, for what itís worth, only operates under the Diocese of Steubenville banner ó they donít have much involvement and guidance from Steubenville. Pretty much an independent, self-sustaining operation.

I could be mistaken, but I believe the Diocese of Stuebenville takes the same approach that Columbus does when it comes to high school governance/support: hands-off, little direction ďsink or swim on your success or failure.Ē
Old 02-05-19, 10:50 PM
Grand Inquisitor

Quote:
Two as of the end of the 2018-19 school year SCC/St. Joe.
Old 02-06-19, 02:10 AM
All District

1 time is on a distinguished road
Zanesville Rosecrans ?
Old 02-06-19, 08:08 AM
All Region

scbuckeye99 is on a distinguished road
Is Portsmouth Notre Dame still around?
Old 02-06-19, 09:50 AM
All District

TheJect is on a distinguished road
Always sad to see any school close.
Old 02-06-19, 10:38 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 time View Post
Zanesville Rosecrans ?
Still around. Diocese of Columbus.
Old 02-06-19, 10:39 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbuckeye99 View Post
Is Portsmouth Notre Dame still around?
Yes.
Old 02-06-19, 12:36 PM
All American

I think Rosecrans will be around for another 15 years, at least. I don’t necessarily think they’re at risk of closing; they just don’t pull from an affluent part of Ohio. Transfers from Cambridge in recent years have been a good compliment to their enrollment.

Portsmouth ND I think is also fine. They’re pretty self-stabilized and have a few good benefactors (e.g. Glockner auto dealerships.)
Old 02-06-19, 01:26 PM
All American

Stark Born & Bred is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yes.
Is that the Diocese of Columbus as well?
Old 02-06-19, 01:30 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dock View Post
Just those two, Iím pretty sure. I believe that Ironton St. Joe, for what itís worth, only operates under the Diocese of Steubenville banner ó they donít have much involvement and guidance from Steubenville. Pretty much an independent, self-sustaining operation.

I could be mistaken, but I believe the Diocese of Stuebenville takes the same approach that Columbus does when it comes to high school governance/support: hands-off, little direction ďsink or swim on your success or failure.Ē
I think all the dioceses have this approach and it probably is the right one - like it or not. One, they don't have vast reserves of money to underwrite all of these schools, anymore. Two, an entity should be financially sustainable if it is going to provide a service into the future. Three, and in fairness to dioceses everywhere, it seems that anytime they try to be proactive and consolidate/close schools with the purpose of boosting the vitality and sustainability of the schools which will be left, they are chastised and blamed for everything and called heartless.
Old 02-06-19, 01:50 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dock View Post
I think Rosecrans will be around for another 15 years, at least. I donít necessarily think theyíre at risk of closing; they just donít pull from an affluent part of Ohio. Transfers from Cambridge in recent years have been a good compliment to their enrollment.

Portsmouth ND I think is also fine. Theyíre pretty self-stabilized and have a few good benefactors (e.g. Glockner auto dealerships.)
So who is next? I think I successfully predicted Fostoria St. Wendelin as the next to go in one of these types of threads several years ago. Here are the ones which come to mind for me (and ones I sometimes hear rumors about): Rosecrans, TCC, Ironton St. Joe, Sandusky Central, Trinity, Fisher, Portsmouth and, of course and near to my home, nearly all of the Youngstown Diocese schools are less than vibrant right now.
Old 02-06-19, 02:38 PM
All American

OUcats82 is on a distinguished road
I sadly think it's only a matter of time before you only see Catholic high schools in the larger urban centers (3 Cs, Dayton, Toledo, Akron, hopefully Youngstown) and even there it will be fewer than what currently exists.

Perhaps K-8s will be able to keep going in some of the mid-sized towns and cities around the state but the population/culture/commitment that helped to build and sustain these schools for 100+ years just doesn't exist anymore.

Having grown up on the westside of Cincinnati, I was one of the few kids on my street that didn't go to a Catholic grade school (and probably 75% of the houses on my street had school-aged kids). You'd be hard pressed to find a "more-Catholic" area anywhere in the country. Yet the 3 or 4 parish schools that kids would have gone to in a 5 mile radius from there have all consolidated into one K-8 (and did so nearly 10 years ago).

If you go back and look at the state tournament results there are schools like Cleveland St. Joes who was in the state's largest division now in much lower. Roger Bacon and Purcell Marian are similar around here.

The Archdiocese of Cincinnati removed all boundaries many years ago giving each school the challenge of selling and sustaining themselves. Some of these schools seem to have boundless resources to advertise and promote with healthy enrollment and others are one bad enrollment cycle away from closing. Would guess it's similar in other areas.

Last edited by OUcats82; 02-06-19 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-06-19, 02:58 PM
All District

ceebass13 is on a distinguished road
Was 2015 the last year that they had a football team?
Old 02-06-19, 10:44 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark Born & Bred View Post
Is that the Diocese of Columbus as well?
Yes. The DoC extends south along the Scioto Valley. Rt. 23 makes it a manageable trip.
Old 02-07-19, 12:14 PM
All American

OUcats82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yes. The DoC extends south along the Scioto Valley. Rt. 23 makes it a manageable trip.
For anyone interested, here is a map of how Ohio is split up by county/diocese.

https://www.ohiocathconf.org/About/Ohio-Dioceses
Old 02-07-19, 01:25 PM
Grand Inquisitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceebass13 View Post
Was 2015 the last year that they had a football team?

It was.
Old 02-07-19, 06:04 PM
All American

In reply to your first post: I should clarify in that Iím not really suggesting that the Dioceses (plural?) assume the funding of the schools, but rather a) the Dioceses themselves should have policies that enable greater financial benefaction (if not some obligation) on the part of the parishes where the school is located and with those where there is a communal HS-parish link and b) provide for better guidance when it comes to administration changes and actually good, thought out advice when it come to navigating difficult waters when enrollment sees a decline because of various economic, social, controversial issues within the schoolís community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark Born & Bred View Post
So who is next? I think I successfully predicted Fostoria St. Wendelin as the next to go in one of these types of threads several years ago. Here are the ones which come to mind for me (and ones I sometimes hear rumors about): Rosecrans, TCC, Ironton St. Joe, Sandusky Central, Trinity, Fisher, Portsmouth and, of course and near to my home, nearly all of the Youngstown Diocese schools are less than vibrant right now.
Of those listed, TCC could be the most realistic. Rosecrans is getting by in large part because of sports. Itís hard to tell with Portsmouth ND and Ironton SJ, as those schools have basically been very low enrollment wise and seem to actually have clear plans for the future. Fisher seems to have stopped the hemorrhaging; losing almost half (47%) of your student body between 2008 (317, 9-12) and 2016 (166, 9-12) hurts, but they have seen enrollment levels peak up last couple of years to 185-192. Hard to tell if they can survive another recession, though!

Is there anything in particular about SMCC that makes it more prone to closure than Fremont St. Joe or Calvert?

Ashtabula St. John???
Old 02-07-19, 06:15 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUcats82 View Post
I sadly think it's only a matter of time before you only see Catholic high schools in the larger urban centers (3 Cs, Dayton, Toledo, Akron, hopefully Youngstown) and even there it will be fewer than what currently exists.

Perhaps K-8s will be able to keep going in some of the mid-sized towns and cities around the state but the population/culture/commitment that helped to build and sustain these schools for 100+ years just doesn't exist anymore.
M
At the risk of getting too political, Catholic education in Ohio will always have one reliable and somewhat influential institution to help keep it alive: the Republican Party, who will likely keep control of the statehouse for a very long time. The GOP at the state legislature level has recently had members of its caucus promote pieces for the expansion of the voucher system, including one based primarily on income and not just school performance. Other factors such as general distrust of public education becoming increasingly common in some conservative voting circles as well as us being in the DeVos era suggest that we may see Catholic/private education become more accessible and promotes through the means and action of Ďthe state.í
Old 02-07-19, 09:54 PM
All Region

scbuckeye99 is on a distinguished road
Was doing digging last year through the ODE's enrollment files and found out that some of these small town catholic high schools use to have some pretty impressive enrollment numbers. Now we're talking back in the 70s and 80s but still it's impressive to think that at one point some of these schools that have 150-200 kids walking the halls in 2019 use to have 500-600 kids walking the same halls 30-40 years ago.
Old 02-07-19, 10:47 PM
All American

my2sense is an unknown quantity at this point
Hopefully this is a precursor to a decline in churches and dioceses. The Catholic leaders have betrayed their vows and their congregants at the highest levels. Sadly, good families, teachers and students suffer.
Old 02-07-19, 10:48 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough

For its short life, St. John Central had one nice little field to call their own. Even if it was sandwiched between a highway and a train track.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-02-07_10-40-47.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	2790  
Old 02-08-19, 06:58 AM
Controller

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
Hopefully this is a precursor to a decline in churches and dioceses. The Catholic leaders have betrayed their vows and their congregants at the highest levels. Sadly, good families, teachers and students suffer.
you need help
Old 02-08-19, 07:47 AM
Freshman

intravenusdemilo is on a distinguished road
Yes lets punish the people who want their kids to have a Catholic education because the leaders made mistakes.
Old 02-08-19, 11:05 AM
All American

my2sense is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
you need help
I need help? How about help for the lives ruined by priests violating children and the bishops hiding it from families? The decline of Catholic churches and schools seems to be a well deserved consequence.
Old 02-08-19, 11:24 AM
All American

Quote:
I need help? How about help for the lives ruined by priests violating children and the bishops hiding it from families? The decline of Catholic churches and schools seems to be a well deserved consequence.
Itís amusing that you keep posting the same trash on this thread despite the fact your first post was zapped. In need of that much attention?
Old 02-08-19, 01:58 PM
All American

Summa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You obviously have absolutely no understanding of Catholicism and appear to have a lot of other issues going on.
Old 02-08-19, 02:35 PM
All American

Zwick_4_Prez is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
who hurt you?
Closed Thread