Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-24-19, 03:26 PM
All American

Orangeman89
Forget Hoban and StV, time to investigate Ak.East!

Kids from all over the city are heading there and now I see two from Copley are "taking their talents to East High". I hope they moved to the Heights since Akron doesn't have open enrollment from outside the city.
I'll give coach Hayes his due. Despite being a terrible x's and o's guy he manages to get kids schollies. And he does it with no facilities and a poor academic environment at best.
How long will it last?

Last edited by Orangeman89; 01-24-19 at 04:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-19, 05:22 PM
All American

JJBulldog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeman89 View Post
Kids from all over the city are heading there and now I see two from Copley are "taking their talents to East High". I hope they moved to the Heights since Akron doesn't have open enrollment from outside the city.
I'll give coach Hayes his due. Despite being a terrible x's and o's guy he manages to get kids schollies. And he does it with no facilities and a poor academic environment at best.
How long will it last?

Kids want to play for him because they like him and want to play for a winner and get schollies. The Akron district doesn't have enough financial power to upgrade all of it's schools and athletic programs. Good luck to East and i hope they prosper for many years to come!
Old 01-24-19, 10:38 PM
Freshman

Bowtiethatguy is on a distinguished road
Itís not that hard to move the the east side ... and honestly half the kids coming from Copley or Hoban played pee wee football over there ... they went to the other schools for better exposure and academics ... East finally has a good coach who has put his players first
Old 01-24-19, 10:52 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtiethatguy View Post
Itís not that hard to move the the east side ... and honestly half the kids coming from Copley or Hoban played pee wee football over there ... they went to the other schools for better exposure and academics ... East finally has a good coach who has put his players first
Akron is a kind of mini Cleveland in that Hoban is becoming the Ignatius of Akron and East is becoming its Glenville. It would be great to see East back to being a football powerhouse like I believe it was something like a half century ago.
Old 01-25-19, 08:12 AM
All District

Sliver of Hope is on a distinguished road
Come on Orangeman, you know as well as I do that your beloved Ellet is gaining as much advantage from new border lines being drawn and open enrollment as East is. Several on the good football teams on the past 5 years and most specifically, the basketball team which benefited greatly having their basketball coach be a teacher at Roswell Kent until it closed. So let's not be the hater here when the APS wants nothing to do with this type of oversight. LEt them go where ever they want, as long as they show up and they get counted on the school rolls in mid-to-late October, which means $$$$ for the APS. They will never come clean about anything that goes on down there at the BOE.
Now, Mr. Bowtietheman,
You saying they finally have a good coach is well out of reach. He gets kids going there because he lets them do whatever they want. Have you seen a game that is played by East? They are truly the most undisciplined team I have ever seen, ever worse than the Browns under Hue Jackson. If there was a tracker of 15-yard personal foul penalties, I am guessing that East would have set it this past season. I witnessed a game where they had to have over 180 yards of penalties, with 6 of them being personal fouls. It was embarrassing. Coach Hayes is getting the kids over there, but they are getting the work done on the field by their own abilities because the coaching is almost non-existent.
Oh, and the game I saw them in with all of the penalties, they even won at Jackson. Imagine how good they could be with some discipline and decent coaching to go with what they have done recently? When I see people post things on here about East being a state title contender, I laugh so hard I nearly urinate myself because the one thing that gets so much of the credit, is the MAIN thing holding them back, the coach. Kind of reminds me of former Buchtel coach Claude Brown, getting all of the talent in the world, but when it came down to crunch time, he usually was the one that blew it, except for the insane play convicted murderer Steve Walker performed at the end of the Buchtel -Hoban game back in early 2000s I believe.
Old 01-25-19, 08:35 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
My all time favorite was when the Firestone kids wanted to head to Buchtel to play football and were prevented from doing so, but were permitted to head across town and play for Ellet. Aahhhhhh............APS.
Old 01-25-19, 08:47 AM
All Ohio

Thurgood75 is on a distinguished road
You can't blame the kids for wanting to go where they believe they have the best chance to achieve their goals. Also to be honest they are very overrated as a football team. But that also goes to tell you how mediocre the rest of the state has to be because they won games in the playoffs and managed their OOC schedule pretty well the past 3 years. I mean people can call East undisciplined because they are but please tell me what does it make the teams that they beat?
Old 01-25-19, 08:49 AM
All Ohio

Thurgood75 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
My all time favorite was when the Firestone kids wanted to head to Buchtel to play football and were prevented from doing so, but were permitted to head across town and play for Ellet. Aahhhhhh............APS.
That is still one of the most moronic situations i ever witnessed from all parties involved. When i say ALL i mean ALL
Old 01-25-19, 11:23 PM
Freshman

hubhub1975 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
How long will it last?
Iíve seen a lot of East games over the years, Coach Hayes and his staff are doing a great job. Orangeman89 I even saw the Ellet Vs East game this year and it seemed like the Xís and Oís gave Ellet a lot of trouble and many other teams also
Old 01-26-19, 12:15 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver of Hope View Post
Come on Orangeman, you know as well as I do that your beloved Ellet is gaining as much advantage from new border lines being drawn and open enrollment as East is. Several on the good football teams on the past 5 years and most specifically, the basketball team which benefited greatly having their basketball coach be a teacher at Roswell Kent until it closed. So let's not be the hater here when the APS wants nothing to do with this type of oversight. LEt them go where ever they want, as long as they show up and they get counted on the school rolls in mid-to-late October, which means $$$$ for the APS. They will never come clean about anything that goes on down there at the BOE.
Now, Mr. Bowtietheman,
You saying they finally have a good coach is well out of reach. He gets kids going there because he lets them do whatever they want. Have you seen a game that is played by East? They are truly the most undisciplined team I have ever seen, ever worse than the Browns under Hue Jackson. If there was a tracker of 15-yard personal foul penalties, I am guessing that East would have set it this past season. I witnessed a game where they had to have over 180 yards of penalties, with 6 of them being personal fouls. It was embarrassing. Coach Hayes is getting the kids over there, but they are getting the work done on the field by their own abilities because the coaching is almost non-existent.
Oh, and the game I saw them in with all of the penalties, they even won at Jackson. Imagine how good they could be with some discipline and decent coaching to go with what they have done recently? When I see people post things on here about East being a state title contender, I laugh so hard I nearly urinate myself because the one thing that gets so much of the credit, is the MAIN thing holding them back, the coach. Kind of reminds me of former Buchtel coach Claude Brown, getting all of the talent in the world, but when it came down to crunch time, he usually was the one that blew it, except for the insane play convicted murderer Steve Walker performed at the end of the Buchtel -Hoban game back in early 2000s I believe.
Sliver of Hope, you seem to have a special hate for anything East does, Hayes and his staff canít coach but they have been to the playoffs 2 out of the past 3 years with 90% of the kids being homegrown East kids. You canít go beat a Jackson , Hoover, Lake Catholic and Chardon with just showing up at the game with no coaching, donít laugh to hard because it also seems East beat a Chardon team that beat Kenston that eventually won the D-3 title. So they seem like a contender to me. I go to East games and practices Hayes doesnít let his kids do whatever they want , I see him and his staff turning young boys into men on and off the field, so you can hate on him all you want but it sounds personal and a lot of stereotype to it. You constantly down East but Iím glad you constantly do it because it makes you look pathetic when they win. You saw a game with a lot of penalties, which I attended that Jackson game also where they still won because they kept their composure. Undisciplined teams or the most undisciplined team ever would have lost but they didnít, because it seems his players respond to him and his staff . Maybe if he was a white coach it would be different since only thing you named was black coaches ( Claude Brown , Hue Jackson) 7 Years at East first year 0-10 and now playoff contenders, yea jump on someone elseís bandwagon because they are doing it the right way and the program is getting results
Old 01-26-19, 08:27 AM
All American

Orangeman89
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubhub1975 View Post
Iíve seen a lot of East games over the years, Coach Hayes and his staff are doing a great job. Orangeman89 I even saw the Ellet Vs East game this year and it seemed like the Xís and Oís gave Ellet a lot of trouble and many other teams also
It's the athleticism and speed that gives a lot of opponents headaches, not great coaching.

Let me just say, I started this thread with a lot of tongue in cheek. I dont think Hayes is much of a head coach in terms of gameday action but he is to be commended for what he has accomplished there and the opportunities hes affording many of those young men.

Its interesting, I think many of those kids would be even better players in other situations but Hayes is getting them college looks.
Old 01-26-19, 09:02 AM
Freshman

Quote:
It's the athleticism and speed that gives a lot of opponents headaches, not great coaching.

Let me just say, I started this thread with a lot of tongue in cheek. I dont think Hayes is much of a head coach in terms of gameday action but he is to be commended for what he has accomplished there and the opportunities hes affording many of those young men.

Its interesting, I think many of those kids would be even better players in other situations but Hayes is getting them college looks.
There is that stereotype again , just because a team has athleticism and speed does not mean they will win, itís the same in basketball. So when Ellet a few years ago was winning with kids that came from the East youth program was it only because the RBís and skill guys were athletic or was it also because Yost was a pretty good coach. East was down 13-0 to a pretty good Jackson team, they made in game adjustments to win, they beat Hoover on a goal line stand, they adjusted against Chardon to win. I guarantee his staff isnít looking for pats on the back, they do it for the kids. Athletes definitely help but they have to be in the right position to succeed. He may not be a great coach in your opinion but the only opinion that matters is like you said in the kids that he and his staff are helping better there lives.
Old 01-26-19, 09:07 AM
All Ohio

doverbuck is on a distinguished road
They do some junk during games I don’t care for but at the conclusion they seem to be classy enough,win or lose.
Old 01-26-19, 11:11 AM
Varsity

Bad Blake is on a distinguished road
Hubhub,
I saw them play against Lake Catholic and again against Canfield. They didn’t look like the same team. I couldn’t count the number of pre-snap penalties in the Canfield game. They looked totally unorganized. Against Lake they looked prepared, poised and well coached. What do you think the cause of that is? Just curious, not arguing.
Old 01-26-19, 11:52 AM
All American

my2sense is an unknown quantity at this point
Lemmee guess - East beat Ellet. #butthurt
Old 01-26-19, 10:04 PM
All American

Orangeman89
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
Lemmee guess - East beat Ellet. #butthurt
Nah, Ellet has waaaaay more problems than East, lol.
Old 01-28-19, 08:27 AM
All District

No, I do not have a hatred of anything East football does. I give them all the kudos for being able to win football games on a purely athletic basis. Coaching is not just the X's and O's, it is about getting kids to buy into a common goal and that the team is the most important thing, not one's self. Therefore, they are consistently being flagged for 15 yard penalties, numerous in every game I have ever seen, and not for a facemask, or something that it inadvertent, it is for stupid, cheap shots, late hits on QBs, receivers, out of bounds, you nameit, I can almost assure I have seen it. When a player does one of these actions, it hurts the team. And yes, while East has won a few playoff games, they also are in the first 2 rounds where we all know there are several mismatches there. That is why you will see 60-12 scores in the first 2 rounds. They will not be able to get any further with penalties like these, but then again, the city probably should just be happy as heck to just get a team in the playoffs anymore.
Old 01-28-19, 08:45 AM
All American

Quote:
Sliver of Hope, you seem to have a special hate for anything East does, Hayes and his staff can’t coach but they have been to the playoffs 2 out of the past 3 years with 90% of the kids being homegrown East kids. You can’t go beat a Jackson , Hoover, Lake Catholic and Chardon with just showing up at the game with no coaching, don’t laugh to hard because it also seems East beat a Chardon team that beat Kenston that eventually won the D-3 title. So they seem like a contender to me. I go to East games and practices Hayes doesn’t let his kids do whatever they want , I see him and his staff turning young boys into men on and off the field, so you can hate on him all you want but it sounds personal and a lot of stereotype to it. You constantly down East but I’m glad you constantly do it because it makes you look pathetic when they win. You saw a game with a lot of penalties, which I attended that Jackson game also where they still won because they kept their composure. Undisciplined teams or the most undisciplined team ever would have lost but they didn’t, because it seems his players respond to him and his staff . Maybe if he was a white coach it would be different since only thing you named was black coaches ( Claude Brown , Hue Jackson) 7 Years at East first year 0-10 and now playoff contenders, yea jump on someone else’s bandwagon because they are doing it the right way and the program is getting results
Go Dragons! Your kids don't get all the same early advantages to develop the skill sets for football suburban schools have. What they have is pride, smarts and heart, and I'm lovin' it. My dad was born in Goodyear, so there's that! This Bulldog is pullin' for you guys!
Old 01-28-19, 01:45 PM
All Ohio

bass10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBulldog View Post
Go Dragons! Your kids don't get all the same early advantages to develop the skill sets for football suburban schools have. What they have is pride, smarts and heart, and I'm lovin' it. My dad was born in Goodyear, so there's that! This Bulldog is pullin' for you guys!
So if you go to a suburban school you have more of an opportunity to develop your football skills than a kid that goes to a city school, gotcha! Never miss a good opportunity to shut the H up.
Old 01-28-19, 11:21 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass10 View Post
So if you go to a suburban school you have more of an opportunity to develop your football skills than a kid that goes to a city school, gotcha! Never miss a good opportunity to shut the H up.

No dumbo. If you grow up in the burbs, they generally have more extensive junior football opportunities because they have the resources.

Of course your Green Bulldogs stink in football, and East would pound you every year like McKinley does. in your case, being suburban doesn't matter.
Old 01-28-19, 11:56 PM
All American

My dad was born on Tonawanda and one of his favorite games was the old Turkey Day City Series Championship played at the Rubber Bowl. He said those old East-Garfield games were some of the hardest -hitting games he ever saw! It's a shame Garfield had to merge with Kenmore, but it's great to see East back in the saddle again! Best of luck to the Dragons!
Old 01-29-19, 06:57 AM
All Ohio

bass10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
No dumbo. If you grow up in the burbs, they generally have more extensive junior football opportunities because they have the resources.

Of course your Green Bulldogs stink in football, and East would pound you every year like McKinley does. in your case, being suburban doesn't matter.
First off you should refrain from calling anyone anything. Everybody that reads your posts knows you're more than a few boards short of a full load. As for Green they are a growing, vibrant community, that's the opposite of a dying, decaying city. They will continue to improve and be more than competitive in no time, just like basketball.

Last edited by bass10; 01-29-19 at 07:38 AM.
Old 02-01-19, 12:23 AM
All Ohio

buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
My dad was born on Tonawanda and one of his favorite games was the old Turkey Day City Series Championship played at the Rubber Bowl. He said those old East-Garfield games were some of the hardest -hitting games he ever saw! It's a shame Garfield had to merge with Kenmore, but it's great to see East back in the saddle again! Best of luck to the Dragons!
Had an aunt and uncle that lived on Tonawanda Ave. I remember Rod Dingle, a great back at East in the 60ís. You are correct, the had some dynamite games against Babe Flossieís Golden Ram teams. Great memories, glad to see some good football alive again in the ACS.
Old 02-05-19, 05:44 PM
Varsity

HighSchoolFB45 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
canít go beat a Jackson , Hoover, Lake Catholic and Chardon with just showing up at the game with no coaching, donít laugh to hard because it also seems East beat a Chardon team that beat Kenston that eventually won the D-3 title.
So I guess DIV, 4-6 West Geauga is a contender because they beat Chardon too?
Old 02-05-19, 06:12 PM
Varsity

Bad Blake is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSchoolFB45 View Post
West Geauga beat 1 good team week 1. East beat a lot of good teams and went 9-3. Donít be silly.
Old 02-06-19, 01:03 AM
All Ohio

buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSchoolFB45 View Post
Purdue beat the Bucks, by your logic, they should have been in the playoff mix. Anyone can have a bad night, itís the whole of the season, that proves what youíre made of. Akron East proved they were a quality ball club.
Old 02-07-19, 05:14 PM
All District

East has a lot of talent, but they are poorly coached. THey are able to overcome all of their penalties because of their talent. Everyone calls out the Browns for being poorly coached because they have stupid penalties, jump offsides, late hits that cost them games. They did not have the talent to overcome those penalties. East has the same penalties, but they have the talent to overcome them against decent teams, but not really good teams. That is all. Goo luck to East, and I will not listen to any other complaints from an Ellet dude complaining about transfers.
Old 02-08-19, 07:50 AM
Varsity

HighSchoolFB45 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye53 View Post
Purdue beat the Bucks, by your logic, they should have been in the playoff mix. Anyone can have a bad night, itís the whole of the season, that proves what youíre made of. Akron East proved they were a quality ball club.
Go watch the videos of Akron East on YouTube. Jackson looks like an average DIII bottom feeder. They have the athleticism of a MAC team. Chardon has athletes but not enough to ever compete, just good enough to give a good team a scare. They finally faced a decent team in Canfield and got exposed.
Old 02-08-19, 09:06 AM
All World

BigWorm can only hope to improve
You can make a decision to get rid of the kids and be bad or keep the troubled kids, be able to compete and live with all of the bs that comes with it. I would do what East decided to do and just live with all of the problems that come with some of the kids that they have. Without those kids they would be back to 0-10. East is doing something no other city team (besides Ellet) recently has been able to do, win nonleague games. East is winning all of these games on the road in tough environments with little or no fan support. Ellet wins the games against cupcakes. East is giving these kids an opportunity to play and be part of a family that cares about them (something a lot of them don't have).
Old 02-08-19, 09:19 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Everybody thinks football is like "The Longest Yard" where you just compile athletes and they miraculously become disciplined and fall in line to form a great team. Unfortunately, in the real world all kids don't come from a background of discipline and maybe, just maybe, getting them to work together on the field, even with penalties and some acting out, is an accomplishment.

Congrats to East and what they've accomplished. They are one of the very few things that have kept City Series athletics relevant in recent years.