Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-05-19, 10:39 AM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
Lake Erie League is expanding

Well smaller division schools in general have an easier road to dominate. Add to that being a multiple county recruiter private playing farm schools and of course programs like that would dominate

St V's for years was not D1 for those who will say they are now.

Going by that criteria then yeah Mentor isn't in it. But they also are D1 and have to deal with privates and recruiting publics

Mentor has played vasj very well over the years too

But basketball would t be an issue. At worst we'd have more weekeday games. Schools would play because all make the playoffs

I already highlighted football above. Teams are chicken bleeps to play us already. Nothjng will change. Just opens up chances for schools later in year who actually have guts and losing those 5 conference opponents doesn't mean much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by MentorGrad2002; 02-05-19 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-05-19, 06:30 PM
All Ohio

Mr. Red Raider is on a distinguished road
That's kinda sad to see that teams are scared to play Mentor in football.

I would like to see Hoban and Avon play them in a home-away non-conference slate. Both are two of the top teams in Northeast Ohio, and it would make for some pretty good football.
Old 02-06-19, 07:13 AM
All Ohio

tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Red Raider View Post

I would like to see Hoban and Avon play them in a home-away non-conference slate. Both are two of the top teams in Northeast Ohio, and it would make for some pretty good football.
It's honestly not Mentor's fault that no one wants to schedule them in football. Blame the system. Teams like Mentor, Ed's, etc that are perennial contenders are forced to schedule whoever they can get because the Harbin system doesn't reward teams for scheduling harder opponents and losing. Why would teams want to schedule Mentor when they could schedule Shaker, Elyria, Brunswick, Cleveland Hts, or some other mediocre or bad D1 team and get the same amound of Harbins? They would rather do that than pray they somehow hang around with Mentor. In basketball, everyone makes the playoffs so teams can go .500 while playing good teams and still make a run in the postseason.

Look at what happened to SVSM this past year in football. They should have been a state contender but lost to a couple extremely good teams (Hoban, Massillon and D4 power Perry (who they probably shoulda beat)) and went 7-3 and missed the playoffs. Maybe they make the playoffs if they replace those teams with average D1 or D2s and get the easy points.
Old 02-06-19, 08:01 AM
#BleedBlack&Gold

BlackandGold is on a distinguished road
I can think of a great reason for neighboring schools to schedule Mentor. Gate money! Strong program plus neighboring large school equals a lot of gate money. I thought $$$ made the world go round. Is HS football the exception?
Old 02-06-19, 08:56 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackandGold View Post
I can think of a great reason for neighboring schools to schedule Mentor. Gate money! Strong program plus neighboring large school equals a lot of gate money. I thought $$$ made the world go round. Is HS football the exception?
Is it worth the extra gate money from 1 home game to get throttled in games in back to back years? (remember Mentor would probably want to do a home and home series at least). I cant think of single team in Lake or Geauga county that would jump at scheduling Mentor because of a few hundred dollars worth of gate money (at most). Teams that are vying for playoff berths would rather schedule someone that they have a chance at beating, and smaller schools would never schedule them only to lose by 50+ and risk injury.

Great idea in theory, but unless Mentor football falls off a cliff over the next few years, this wouldnt happen.
Old 02-06-19, 09:17 AM
#BleedBlack&Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan23 View Post
Is it worth the extra gate money from 1 home game to get throttled in games in back to back years? (remember Mentor would probably want to do a home and home series at least). I cant think of single team in Lake or Geauga county that would jump at scheduling Mentor because of a few hundred dollars worth of gate money (at most). Teams that are vying for playoff berths would rather schedule someone that they have a chance at beating, and smaller schools would never schedule them only to lose by 50+ and risk injury.

Great idea in theory, but unless Mentor football falls off a cliff over the next few years, this wouldnt happen.
Iím just a fan, so I may be bias. But, I would think so! It is also more money for the football program boosters from 50/50 raffle and concessions. As you mentioned, you can schedule mediocre programs that donít bring any fan base and earn a win or schedule a neighboring large school that may cause you one loss, but a win financially to help build your program. There are also positives like building rivalries and game experience for your players. Maybe it is easier to build a schedule of wins and depend on your own community following to financially support your program long term? I honestly donít know.
Old 02-06-19, 09:28 AM
All Ohio

I'm just going through the list of teams in lake/geauga and trying to find one that would schedule them:

Wickliffe, North, South, Harvey, Riverside, Fairport, Madison, even Kirtland. I can't see any of these schools ever wanting to lose by 50 to Mentor so they can bring in a few hundred dollars. You also have to look at it from a player safety standpoint as well. Most of these schools don't have the size to matchup with Mentor at all (think Richmond Hts vs Kirtland this past year and what happened with that debacle as well).

Maybe Perry would step up to the plate. They would give Mentor a game at least. The only Geauga county team that would even consider would be Kenston. But that's not really a geographical rivalry at all, and they have up and down years just like any other team (they were 2-8, 3-7 or something like that before their title run). Chardon might consider it as well, but Chardon likes to schedule neightborhood rivals like West G and other old rivals like Perry as well.
Old 02-06-19, 09:48 AM
#BleedBlack&Gold

Quote:
I'm just going through the list of teams in lake/geauga and trying to find one that would schedule them:

Wickliffe, North, South, Harvey, Riverside, Fairport, Madison, even Kirtland. I can't see any of these schools ever wanting to lose by 50 to Mentor so they can bring in a few hundred dollars. You also have to look at it from a player safety standpoint as well. Most of these schools don't have the size to matchup with Mentor at all (think Richmond Hts vs Kirtland this past year and what happened with that debacle as well).

Maybe Perry would step up to the plate. They would give Mentor a game at least. The only Geauga county team that would even consider would be Kenston. But that's not really a geographical rivalry at all, and they have up and down years just like any other team (they were 2-8, 3-7 or something like that before their title run). Chardon might consider it as well, but Chardon likes to schedule neightborhood rivals like West G and other old rivals like Perry as well.
I agree there are currently no local programs that belong on the same field as Mentor consistently year after year. Player safety is definitely a factor right now. This is something that would need to be looked at in the future, especially if Mentor is forced to be independent.
Old 02-06-19, 10:34 AM
All Ohio

PGEMF is on a distinguished road
And per a scenario mentioned earlier.....Triv is retiring after this season

https://twitter.com/CoachTriv/status...21269795602433
Old 02-06-19, 01:45 PM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Red Raider View Post

As the program is going right now, Hoban vs Mentor would be a great series.

Avon might beat Mentor one out of every four tries. It would be worth it for the competition for Avon, but Avon is currently hindered by having only one OOC game per season in the ten team SWC and they have a home and home with Lorain for 2019 and 2020...which is a strong local gate.
Old 02-08-19, 07:27 AM
All Ohio

Speaking of LEL talk......

https://www.cleveland.com/court-just...e-charges.html

Didnt see this one coming at Bedford.
Old 02-08-19, 07:56 AM
#BleedBlack&Gold

Quote:
Speaking of LEL talk......

https://www.cleveland.com/court-just...e-charges.html

Didnt see this one coming at Bedford.
This is just the topping after a not-so-great 1-9 season. Bedford at least started their first 3 games this season competitive with close games against Nordonia and Garfield Heights. Also, a nice win against Elyria. After week 3, things just spiraled down including losses to Shaw and Warrensville Heights. I wonder if this was a distraction that contributed toward it?
Old 02-08-19, 08:24 AM
All Ohio

I found another article from October 30th stating that "a Bedford staff member was placed on leave for an inappropriate student relationship" (I'm assuming it was Williams). So I'm sure there was some investigation throughout the season that led to distractions and such if he was placed on leave a few days after the season ended.
https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...p-with-student