Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-26-19, 07:31 PM
Junior Varsity

reganaustinjames is on a distinguished road
Mentor and Solon may have to go the Ignatius/Ed's route and schedule whoever they can. Mentor is one of the biggest schools in the state and is much larger than their neighbors and Solon, while their enrollment is dropping, is universally hated by their WRC and Suburban League neighbors for what they did to everyone back in the old CVC and WRC days. Lorain might get into a modified GCC because Medina, Brunswick, and Strongsville need another team who they may consider a patsy (despite how decent Lorain has been in recent years) and Elyria would invite them in because of history and/or closeness. I think those west side schools could be a decent league, especially if they can poach Berea, who with the merger, may be too big for the SWC. East side, however, is a proverbial roulette wheel.
Old 01-27-19, 12:01 PM
All Ohio

James x2 is on a distinguished road
Berea-Midpark

I thought the local media was pushing the narrative that this school merger would produce a D-1 school that over time would have a competitive football and basketball program? Why are they now being cast as the liitle sisters of the poor who could not compete in the GCC? I don't know that they could but if they had an invite and declined because they can't compete than that schools programs are a failure.Fwiw Mentor,Euclid,and Solon would beat them in football and BB but hasn't this school merger had enough time to get on stable ground enough to take on the challenge? Could Lorain? Travel is an issue though.What conference is Warren Harding in.Remember them in the LEL.
Old 01-28-19, 12:16 AM
All American

SVillegrad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
As for the SWC in this discussion, Berea-Midpark and/or Lakewood would have to voluntarily leave the league. They will not be pressured to leave, as things stand now.

They could leave on their own, as Lakewood has thus far ignored a petition from parents to leave the SWC for the GLC.

B-M is always a candidate to one day join back up with old Pioneer Conference mates Strongsville, Brunswick and Medina in some sort of league, but thus far have shown no interest in doing so...and are not exactly killing it in the D2 SWC.

My preference would be for both to leave the SWC and get the SWC down to Amherst, Avon, Avon Lake, Midview, North Olmsted, North Ridgeville, Olmsted Falls, Westlake...but that is not likely anytime soon.
The situation in Parma may be the domino that allows everything to fall into place. I can't image with the financial situation and steep enrollment decline that they can kick the consolidation can down the road much longer (and they are in the process of holding community meetings on the issue). I also don't see dropping all the way down to one school would be the thing to do (like the previous plan called for, IIR). It would be massive with well over 1,000 students per grade.

Split to two Parma schools and they are way to big for the GLC and I'm sure the SWC members (not just parents) may give Lakewood a little nudge urging them to take what would be the 8th spot in the GLC.

The two Parma schools join with the four westside GCC schools in a revamped Pioneer Conference, which is a situation that Berea-Midpark couldn't pass up. Lorain is there to round it out at 8. Lorain leaving the LEL likely pushes Euclid in to fill that spot (I'm assuming Garfield Heights isn't going to turn down the current invite).

I know people don't think Solon to the Suburban is a possibility, but I don't see why it wouldn't be. All it takes is to move Cuyahoga Falls to the open spot in the American Division and Solon fits almost perfectly geographically and size wise in the National (now one of the smaller D1s in football). Plus, if the past couple of years are an indication, I don't think Solon would dominate as much as it would've done 10 years ago. In fact, you can make the case that you have to go back to 2011 as being the last year Solon would've been unquestionably the best of any of the current teams in the Suburban League National, in that specific year.

2012: Solon was 5-5, including a loss to Twinsburg
2013: Solon was 6-4, including a blowout loss to Hudson
2014: Solon was 6-4, including a loss to Hudson
2015: Solon was 8-2, with a playoff loss to Stow (Stow won the SL ... first year of the current setup)
2016: Solon was 9-1, with a loss to Stow (Stow and Hudson shared the SL title)
2017: Solon was 5-5, with a loss to Stow (Wadsworth won the SL and obliterated everybody in doing so)
2018: Solon was 7-3 and beat both Stow and Twinsburg. (Wadsworth again obliterated everybody and won the SL and fwiw beat Stow and Twinsburg by a larger total margin, 68-52, than Solon did, and Wadsworth also blew out Medina, which in turn beat Solon).
Old 01-28-19, 06:37 AM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
Lots of moving parts here. Playing musical chairs on a message board is a lot easier than reality.

We have scenarios with schools consolidating, schools like Berea and Lorain leaving conferences they like, and the suburban schools who hated solon welcoming them back.

That westside league would be charmin soft and inflate records for certain schools too though. So if that's your goal only to get bounced immediately in the playoffs when facing legit competition... well that would explain why your programs are the way that they are at the present time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-19, 11:25 AM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorGrad2002 View Post
Lots of moving parts here. Playing musical chairs on a message board is a lot easier than reality.

We have scenarios with schools consolidating, schools like Berea and Lorain leaving conferences they like, and the suburban schools who hated solon welcoming them back.

That westside league would be charmin soft and inflate records for certain schools too though. So if that's your goal only to get bounced immediately in the playoffs when facing legit competition... well that would explain why your programs are the way that they are at the present time

Your points are certainly valid, as I agree with almost all of them...however, Sville makes a compelling case for his league shuffle. Though I believe it's very unlikely to happen, he does lay out a plausible scenario. The one in all of it that's hard to swallow, though, is the Suburban embracing Solon. I agree that Solon is not the Solon of old, though still formidable, but it will take a long time before the SL schools believe they can consistently compete with the Comets on the gridiron.
Old 01-28-19, 01:59 PM
All Yappi

Lake Erie League is expanding

Most scenarios are plausible on a message board. Time will tell if it's possible though

I will say that if that scenario happens I'd rather Mentor be independent than be in a soft Westside league or back in the LEL

I'd feel for our AD scheduling in all the boys and girls sports. But as a fan only watching football and boys basketball , our schedules there would be better as an independent than with those options.

But again I would hate that if I had a job dealing with scheduling for all sports

Last edited by MentorGrad2002; 01-28-19 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-28-19, 02:02 PM
All Ohio

tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
I miss the NOC. The divisions were pretty well aligned with school size (and for competition purposes) and it made for easy crossover scheduling with so many teams. Unfortunately it seems the days of large conferences like that are gone, and schools would prefer to be in smaller, more geographically aligned conferences. With schools cutting costs on a daily basis, it's only a matter of time before conferences are based solely on geography.
Old 01-28-19, 07:58 PM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Old 01-28-19, 08:50 PM
All Ohio

Not surprised. Garfield probably shoulda joined when the NOC broke up
Old 01-28-19, 10:36 PM
All Ohio

Maybe Euclid will jump to the LEL.They can maintain their rivalry with Mentor,play Glenville,and Ignatius plus one other nonleague game and finish with LEL opponents
Old 01-29-19, 12:46 AM
All Ohio

Cali_Eagle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by James x2 View Post
Maybe Euclid will jump to the LEL.They can maintain their rivalry with Mentor,play Glenville,and Ignatius plus one other nonleague game and finish with LEL opponents
With 8 teams in the LEL and 7 of them being East Side inner ring suburbs and 2 or 3 of those with poor freeway access, I'd look for the next move in this game of falling dominos to be made by lone West Sider and lone non-Cuyahoga County team Lorain; if they can that is. If someone on the West Side or even the GCC will have them.
Old 01-29-19, 12:50 AM
All American

Quote:
Most scenarios are plausible on a message board. Time will tell if it's possible though

I will say that if that scenario happens I'd rather Mentor be independent than be in a soft Westside league or back in the LEL

I'd feel for our AD scheduling in all the boys and girls sports. But as a fan only watching football and boys basketball , our schedules there would be better as an independent than with those options.

But again I would hate that if I had a job dealing with scheduling for all sports

You can sleep easy, there is no way Mentor will have to worry about being invited into a "soft" westside league or the LEL if the situation arises. Unfortunately for Mentor, it's either GCC or independent, which is why you seem dismissive, even defensive, anytime conference realignment comes up.

I'm just telling you, watch the Parma situation. If consolidation happens, I can guarantee there will be another round of shuffling and it will involve the westside GCC teams. And I'd put the odds on Parma consolidating within the next two years being more likely than staying at three schools.

I was a big proponent of keeping the Valley Division together once the NOC broke up and schools (specifically Medina) started looking for different options. So, I was glad once the GCC formed, though I still contend that in hindsight Cleveland Heights should've been picked over Euclid, but no sense arguing that anymore.

But I'm starting to see it from a different perspective now that I have a nephew who is in 8th, will have kids who will soon be in middle school and my best friend will have kids playing sports for Brunswick in the next couple years, so I see how much of a burden travel is (and it will just get worse next year). Granted, that is more about MS/freshman start times in general, but I can definitely now see the argument in proximity based leagues more than before. So, it's not all about dodging big, bad Mentor ... though I'm sure Mentor's dominance in football, especially over the westside schools, does play a role in jumping on a chance if a closer league is feasible, but it's hardly the biggest reason.

Anyway, the LEL is now set and the GCC is what it is for at least one more year. After that, we'll see. And BTW, if the league does break up before 2021, I hope Medina and Mentor will be able to work out a non-league deal in football. The freshman team (class of 2022) went undefeated and won the GCC (and had a handful of kids playing up) and next year's freshman class may not be quite as strong, but they should also compete for the GCC title. I'm confident they'll beat the westside teams and Euclid (Rotsky gets his move-ins at varsity). Shaker hasn't been able to field a freshman team recently, so it probably will be between Medina, Mentor and Solon (though I'm just assuming Mentor and Solon will be good since I've seen neither).

Last edited by SVillegrad; 01-29-19 at 02:06 AM.
Old 01-29-19, 01:51 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali_Eagle View Post
With 8 teams in the LEL and 7 of them being East Side inner ring suburbs and 2 or 3 of those with poor freeway access, I'd look for the next move in this game of falling dominos to be made by lone West Sider and lone non-Cuyahoga County team Lorain; if they can that is. If someone on the West Side or even the GCC will have them.
Lorain would be the only school at this time who would accept the invite, IMO, but I don't see an invite coming for several reasons:

1. Lorain leaving the LEL opens a spot in that league. Euclid could see the writing on the wall that a westside league is the end-game and jump on an invite to replace Lorain, which puts the GCC right back at 7 with no other short-term options (though I guess it's debatable whether the smaller LEL schools would even want Euclid for football... but Lorain is the bigger school anyway and has been solid for the past couple years. Plus, in basketball, take what was said about football and flip it and you still have those two schools).

2. I'm guessing Solon would absolutely be against adding Lorain just due to the travel involved, not even considering the writing on the wall aspect. No doubt they would leave for the first opportunity, and I'm actually not sure they wouldn't just say, "screw it, we'll go independent before we are forced to go independent." Plus, there is always the Suburban League with an opening, whether that seems realistic or not, it's out there and the Suburban has left that spot open for a reason, and it's not because they couldn't fill it.

3. Strongsville/Brunswick/Medina/Elyria are in a position to play this out. They have each other, and those schools are in the Federal League tier (another league that is at 7 schools), so it seems like there could be some opportunities to work together to fill open dates.

4. Parma consolidation. This is the biggest reason the westside GCC schools can play this out. Worst case, they are in a seven-school league anyway. Let Parma make a decision. If that decision is to go down to two schools, then what I posted before is absolutely in play. No way do two, 2,000-student Parma schools stay in the GLC. Joining with the westside GCC teams would be the only option. That would give Berea-Midpark a reason to leave the SWC (without affecting that league ... Plus, the SWC could politely kick Lakewood to the GLC at the same time). That gets the existing GCC westside schools back to seven. Then you still have Lorain out there that can decide to join at No. 8. I don't see why Lorain, which would probably jump at a GCC offer right now, wouldn't jump on an offer of being in a similar 8-team league that offers less travel a couple years from now ... its not like other conferences are going to be banging down the door to add them.

Last edited by SVillegrad; 01-29-19 at 02:09 AM.
Old 01-29-19, 03:05 AM
All Ohio

Cali_Eagle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVillegrad View Post
Lorain would be the only school at this time who would accept the invite, IMO, but I don't see an invite coming for several reasons:

1. Lorain leaving the LEL opens a spot in that league. Euclid could see the writing on the wall that a westside league is the end-game and jump on an invite to replace Lorain, which puts the GCC right back at 7 with no other short-term options (though I guess it's debatable whether the smaller LEL schools would even want Euclid for football... but Lorain is the bigger school anyway and has been solid for the past couple years. Plus, in basketball, take what was said about football and flip it and you still have those two schools).

2. I'm guessing Solon would absolutely be against adding Lorain just due to the travel involved, not even considering the writing on the wall aspect. No doubt they would leave for the first opportunity, and I'm actually not sure they wouldn't just say, "screw it, we'll go independent before we are forced to go independent." Plus, there is always the Suburban League with an opening, whether that seems realistic or not, it's out there and the Suburban has left that spot open for a reason, and it's not because they couldn't fill it.

3. Strongsville/Brunswick/Medina/Elyria are in a position to play this out. They have each other, and those schools are in the Federal League tier (another league that is at 7 schools), so it seems like there could be some opportunities to work together to fill open dates.

4. Parma consolidation. This is the biggest reason the westside GCC schools can play this out. Worst case, they are in a seven-school league anyway. Let Parma make a decision. If that decision is to go down to two schools, then what I posted before is absolutely in play. No way do two, 2,000-student Parma schools stay in the GLC. Joining with the westside GCC teams would be the only option. That would give Berea-Midpark a reason to leave the SWC (without affecting that league ... Plus, the SWC could politely kick Lakewood to the GLC at the same time). That gets the existing GCC westside schools back to seven. Then you still have Lorain out there that can decide to join at No. 8. I don't see why Lorain, which would probably jump at a GCC offer right now, wouldn't jump on an offer of being in a similar 8-team league that offers less travel a couple years from now ... its not like other conferences are going to be banging down the door to add them.

I think a breakup of the GCC and the formation of a predominantly D1 West Side only league is an event that we are heading toward inevitably, sooner rather than later. I think anyone can see this is where we wind up. I think Euclid makes an attempt to get in the LEL as soon as Lorain is gone, if not before.

I also think Solon starts talks with the SL behind the scenes to ensure they too have a bolt hole. A half East Side, half West Side league is inherently unstable and will always fall apart sooner or later due to the travel issue, unless the Districts involved are all right on the River.

At some point Parma officials will shut their eyes, bite down hard on the bullet and do the impolitic thing that they don't want to, but unfortunately for them is the economically sensible thing, and they close either Valley Forge or Normandy or both. In the 1960's well into the 70's Euclid ran classes of around 1000 through the High School every year. Parma may not go that route, but they could.

IF this goes the way I think it will, the odd man out will be Mentor because I don't see a geographically friendly solution for them. Just like Warren Harding's brief stint in the LEL (which was ill-fated from the start for travel reasons) Mentor may have to do something similar, even if it's just for football (and maybe basketball) only. It may not even involve joining a league but maybe something like scheduling some of the larger Suburban or Federal League teams on their weeks 4-10 off dates, or playing the larger schools in the Mahoning Valley.

Last edited by Cali_Eagle; 01-29-19 at 05:06 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-29-19, 06:07 AM
All Yappi

Sville I'm not defensive at all. The AD and administration would probably hate being an independent. I'm a fan who watches 2 sports in football and boys basketball. I'll watch them regardless of league affiliation or being independent

You don't have to put soft in parentheses. If the westside schools flee mentor solon and Euclid for Berea and the Parma schools , it's pretty obvious what is happening. This is a reason you guys can't cut it Your kids go to private schools because of this attitude.

And I wouldn't miss the westside schools. They've been huge disappointments in football. We'd keep solon and Euclid if the league breaks up. I doubt the westsiders would be wanting to play us anymore. Strongsville is the only one I'd even want to play currently anyways just because of history even though Mentor has the huge series edge

The LEL is a no way. The league is bad in every sport but basketball and a segment of the schools like Shaw havent treated us well. Want nothing to do with them

So saying I can sleep easy as if a lel invite or a soft westside league invite are appealing is completely laughable

Last edited by MentorGrad2002; 01-29-19 at 06:53 AM.
Old 01-29-19, 08:20 AM
#BleedBlack&Gold

BlackandGold is on a distinguished road
Mentor may not have to be independent for long. Chardon’s enrollment is dwindling like most Geauga County communities and I think they are building some fierce rivalries with Perry and West Geauga in multiple sports. Chardon could join next year and still not be the largest school in the Chagrin Division (Lakeside is). The CVC invited them during the restructuring when Kenston and Aurora were booted. There is some instability in the lower divisions of the CVC (Fairport), which is probably why they added so many schools starting next year as a buffer. All it would take is one of those schools to leave, bump one school down from the Chagrin and add Chardon. I could think of a few schools who may be interested in the WRC, but most would be geographical outliers. Depending where Mentor’s enrollment is by this time, they fall perfectly in the WRC footprint.
Old 01-29-19, 08:25 AM
All Ohio

There's no way that the WRC wants Mentor football and basketball to join their league anytime soon. Maybe if they start to decline over the next few years in both sports, but I don't seen that happening anytime soon. Outside of geography, there is no competitive reason that any current WRC school would want Mentor in their league for basically any sport at this point. Outside of maybe Kenston this year, no one comes within 30 of them in football this past year. I get your point of enrollment dropping, but enrollment is dropping everywhere in Lake and Geauga.

Mentor should be trying to fight for the GCC to keep it together at all costs. Take a page from LeBron and try to recruit schools to their conference lol. I honestly don't see any options for them if the GCC were to break up in the next few years unless a new big school conference forms..
Old 01-29-19, 09:04 AM
All Yappi

Yeah at best I could see a scheduling alliance in the non revenue sports with the wrc. They aren't good competition in football and boys basketball and wouldn't want any part of Mentor in those sports

Old 01-29-19, 09:21 AM
#BleedBlack&Gold

Currently, I agree they donít fit for football and boys basketball. 5-6 years from now things can change. Chardon currently is several hundred smaller than the largest schools in the WRC (Riverside, North, and South). Even if enrollments across the board decline in WRC, Chardon may still be the smallest by several hundred and may just decide to leave for competitive reasons. As of now, they have the enrollment of the CVC Chagrin. If the enrollment and competitive gap continue to close between Mentor and the WRC during that time, itís certainly a possibility. Iím just saying Mentor may not be forced to be independent for too long with alternative options for a league. And, IF Chardon leaves, the WRC would need to round out at eight. In time, Mentor may be a great option.
Old 01-29-19, 09:27 AM
All Yappi

What factors are you seeing where Mentor is going to all of a sudden rapidly decline in enrollment while surrounding communities won't ? All the populations in ne Ohio are declining.

Mentor is still going to be a big D1 school. And most of those wrc schools have been dodging mentor since the days of the old GCC breaking up

Old 01-29-19, 10:08 AM
#BleedBlack&Gold

Quote:
What factors are you seeing where Mentor is going to all of a sudden rapidly decline in enrollment while surrounding communities won't ? All the populations in ne Ohio are declining.

Mentor is still going to be a big D1 school. And most of those wrc schools have been dodging mentor since the days of the old GCC breaking up

I’m not just factoring enrollment to determine if Mentor is an option for the WRC in 6 years. And, I’m not saying Mentor won’t be a bigger school than the rest of the WRC in 6 years. But, the WRC is one of few “big” school leagues on the east side. Leagues in our area are adjusting based on geography and competitive balance more so than enrollment. Only time will tell if the schools fit well enough to add Mentor.
Old 01-29-19, 10:25 AM
Varsity

Bad Blake is on a distinguished road
“Chardon may just decide to leave for competitive reasons”

Isn’t Chardon in the top half of the league in most sports?
Old 01-29-19, 10:42 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackandGold View Post
Iím not just factoring enrollment to determine if Mentor is an option for the WRC in 6 years. And, Iím not saying Mentor wonít be a bigger school than the rest of the WRC in 6 years. But, the WRC is one of few ďbigĒ school leagues on the east side. Leagues in our area are adjusting based on geography and competitive balance more so than enrollment. Only time will tell if the schools fit well enough to add Mentor.

Enrollment is still used a ton in the makeup of leagues. That is unless you greatly under achieve like some of the soft westside schools do. Then you can get by. If those schools ever get dominant , you can bet the league members would start complaining

The wrc schools for the most part have wanted nothing to do with mentor in the big sports. I don't see that changing. Even when kenston won state last year Mentor was manhandling them in a scrimmage I saw. The team size and skill is a huge disparity

As I said , maybe a scheduling alliance in non revenue sports. But in the big time sports the wrc will want no part of us. And I wouldn't want a football schedule with those teams either. Wouldn't be fair

Old 01-29-19, 10:47 AM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
In five years, I would be shocked if both Krizancic or Triv are still coaching here. Triv is a little more likely to stay, but they could definitely both be gone by then. Let's say both the football and basketball program take a step back in their replacements. Let's say both are about 75-80% of what they currently are due to coaching changes. Mentor becomes a football program that often makes the playoffs, but is more likely to miss the playoffs than they are to win the region. The basketball program competes for district titles about half of the time, but are more likely to lose in a sectional final than they are to advance to regionals. In that scenario, Mentor is still more often than not the top program in football/basketball - but the gap would be pretty narrow between them and No. 2. If that was Mentor's reality at some point, the WRC (if a spot opened) could soften their stance on including them. As things currently stand, they have no reason to even consider adding Mentor in all sports.

As everyone else acknowledges, Mentor is on an island and the options/stability in a conference will always be gloomy. They are a giant high school surrounded by big high schools (compared to the 750 schools in Ohio, North/South are big). But size isn't the problem. More importantly, Mentor is a successful football/basketball school. If Mentor's teams played out like Berea (a similarly sized school as Mentor) - the WRC would gladly welcome them. The Cardinals are a victim of their own success.
Old 01-29-19, 01:17 PM
#BleedBlack&Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Blake View Post
ďChardon may just decide to leave for competitive reasonsĒ

Isnít Chardon in the top half of the league in most sports?
Currently, yes they are. Will they be in 6 years? Only time will tell. But, they are the smallest school in the WRC and fit well in the CVC.
Old 01-29-19, 01:27 PM
#BleedBlack&Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
In five years, I would be shocked if both Krizancic or Triv are still coaching here. Triv is a little more likely to stay, but they could definitely both be gone by then. Let's say both the football and basketball program take a step back in their replacements. Let's say both are about 75-80% of what they currently are due to coaching changes. Mentor becomes a football program that often makes the playoffs, but is more likely to miss the playoffs than they are to win the region. The basketball program competes for district titles about half of the time, but are more likely to lose in a sectional final than they are to advance to regionals. In that scenario, Mentor is still more often than not the top program in football/basketball - but the gap would be pretty narrow between them and No. 2. If that was Mentor's reality at some point, the WRC (if a spot opened) could soften their stance on including them. As things currently stand, they have no reason to even consider adding Mentor in all sports.

As everyone else acknowledges, Mentor is on an island and the options/stability in a conference will always be gloomy. They are a giant high school surrounded by big high schools (compared to the 750 schools in Ohio, North/South are big). But size isn't the problem. More importantly, Mentor is a successful football/basketball school. If Mentor's teams played out like Berea (a similarly sized school as Mentor) - the WRC would gladly welcome them. The Cardinals are a victim of their own success.
Truth.
Old 01-29-19, 01:47 PM
All Yappi

Yep I've been saying the same things cardz said throughout the thread. Berea is one I was alluding to in terms of what it would take for smaller schools like the wrc to take us with the enrollment disparity

Old 01-30-19, 02:03 PM
All Ohio

Is Berea a smaller D-1 school even with the merger with Midpark?
Old 01-30-19, 02:19 PM
All American

clevfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by James x2 View Post
Is Berea a smaller D-1 school even with the merger with Midpark?
No. Berea-Midpark has the 25th-largest boys enrollment and 26th-largest girls enrollment in the state, going by OHSAA numbers.

For reference:

St. Ignatius 4th
Mentor 9th, 12th
Brunswick 10th, 10th
Lorain 11th, 14th
Medina 16th, 11th
Elyria 24th, 28th
Strongsville 30th, 24th
St. Ed's 35th
Euclid 56th, 60th
Solon 61st, 57th
Lakewood (2nd-largest school in SWC) 85th, 65th
Old 01-31-19, 12:13 AM
All American

Quote:
Sville I'm not defensive at all. The AD and administration would probably hate being an independent. I'm a fan who watches 2 sports in football and boys basketball. I'll watch them regardless of league affiliation or being independent

You don't have to put soft in parentheses. If the westside schools flee mentor solon and Euclid for Berea and the Parma schools , it's pretty obvious what is happening. This is a reason you guys can't cut it Your kids go to private schools because of this attitude.

And I wouldn't miss the westside schools. They've been huge disappointments in football. We'd keep solon and Euclid if the league breaks up. I doubt the westsiders would be wanting to play us anymore. Strongsville is the only one I'd even want to play currently anyways just because of history even though Mentor has the huge series edge

The LEL is a no way. The league is bad in every sport but basketball and a segment of the schools like Shaw havent treated us well. Want nothing to do with them

So saying I can sleep easy as if a lel invite or a soft westside league invite are appealing is completely laughable

Would the westside schools really be "fleeing" the eastside schools when the new league would put 70 percent of the schools within 15 miles of each other, and all would be in that same 2,000 range (still solid D1 for football) in terms of total HS population? In your mind, it's fleeing, in reality it is common sense. Lets say that Mentor was invited to a league with all Lake/eastern Cuyahoga schools and accepted. Would that be fleeing? Nope. It would be making the right decision.

Get out of your Mentor/Mentor-on-the-Lake/whatever smaller communities feed into Mentor HS-centric world. No doubt Mentor is the top dog of the two sports you care about ... though it also helps that even though Mentor is at its smallest enrollment in 30-plus years, it still is bigger than any of the other GCC schools (sans Euclid, and maybe Elyria) have ever been in their history. Plus, every school in the league is also losing enrollment, and some, at a bigger pace.

BTW, good luck in thinking you have a whole three-school alliance, too. Euclid and Solon will leave at the first opportunity (and will have opportunities before Mentor does) so not sure why you count them as allies, lol.