Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-10-19, 07:56 PM
brian1227's Avatar
brian1227 brian1227 is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-22-06
Posts: 17,029
brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Lake Erie League is expanding

Saw on twitter garfield heights and shaker heights been invited.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 01-10-19, 08:41 PM
cardzfan1234's Avatar
cardzfan1234 cardzfan1234 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-04-04
Location: Painesville Twp.
Posts: 11,334
cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
The GCC is losing Shaker Heights after the 19-20 school year. The league will be desperate to fill that 8th spot - preferably an eastside school. But who could that even be? Maybe invite Garfield Hts and hope they somehow choose them over the LEL?

This could be a tough time for the GCC.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-10-19, 08:52 PM
Chongo Chongo is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 01-30-05
Location: Lorain
Posts: 58
Chongo
seems like Shaker going to the LEL is a done deal. Racial Diversity/Cultural Sensitivity Issues is one of the reasons mentioned.

http://www.shaker.org/protected/Arti...GGYI0&dasi=2YB
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-10-19, 08:58 PM
MentorGrad2002's Avatar
MentorGrad2002 MentorGrad2002 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-09-07
Location: Mentor
Posts: 11,072
MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
Lake Erie League is expanding

Ironic to cite race when Mentor and the LEL relationship fractured because schools like Shaw were throwing rocks and bricks at our buses cuz our school had too many white kids ..

Probably has more to do with getting killed in many sports besides basketball and especially being a doormat program in football (the money maker)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by MentorGrad2002; 01-10-19 at 10:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-10-19, 09:02 PM
MentorGrad2002's Avatar
MentorGrad2002 MentorGrad2002 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-09-07
Location: Mentor
Posts: 11,072
MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
" Our student-athletes have had to deal with multiple instances where they have been the subject of racial slurs on the athletic playing fields. While our student-athletes have dealt with each of these incidents in a remarkably poised way, it is something that must be given serious consideration when making a decision about conference affiliation"

This stuff goes both directions. But yeah I'm sure none of the African American students have EVER said any slur to a white person. Please. It's unfortunate in any case but it happens to all races.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-11-19, 06:57 AM
tribefan23 tribefan23 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-12-18
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 670
tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1227 View Post
Saw on twitter garfield heights and shaker heights been invited.
Garfield has been invited to LEL multiple times since they became independent 4 years ago. They basically play an LEL schedule in most of their sports anyways. They've been pretty adamant about staying out of the LEL, but it seems like nobody else wants them. You can thank Sonny and the basketball program for that......

Maybe they finally bite the bullet and join, seeing as it might be their only option if they ever want to get back into a conference. Not being in a conference hurts every sport. Sucks that the basketball team has ruined it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-11-19, 07:01 AM
tribefan23 tribefan23 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-12-18
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 670
tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorGrad2002 View Post
" Our student-athletes have had to deal with multiple instances where they have been the subject of racial slurs on the athletic playing fields. While our student-athletes have dealt with each of these incidents in a remarkably poised way, it is something that must be given serious consideration when making a decision about conference affiliation"

This stuff goes both directions. But yeah I'm sure none of the African American students have EVER said any slur to a white person. Please. It's unfortunate in any case but it happens to all races.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1000% agree. Its sh!tty that they mention "Lack of racial diversity and cultural sensitivity in the GCC" as a reason for leaving. Shaker gets its doors knocked off in every sport in the GCC except Basketball and when they're actually somewhat competitive in football, that's the real reason. I don't blame Shaker for wanting to get out, but dont give us BS reasons like "lack of diversity" as an excuse. Shaker needs to focus on actually keeping their teachers, coaches and administrators out of jail and not having a revolving door at these positions before talking about diversity with their students.......
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-11-19, 07:04 AM
tribefan23 tribefan23 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-12-18
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 670
tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
The GCC is losing Shaker Heights after the 19-20 school year. The league will be desperate to fill that 8th spot - preferably an eastside school. But who could that even be? Maybe invite Garfield Hts and hope they somehow choose them over the LEL?

This could be a tough time for the GCC.
GCC is such a tough conference in football and basketball (the money makers) that it's going to be tough to get that 8th team for sure. Not sure what D1 schools are looking to change conferences at the moment. And I'm not sure any D2 (in football) level schools, like Garfield, would want to enter that meatgrinder of a conference and get their doors blown off every year. If Garfield is in the GCC this year (10-0 this year), they go 6-4, maybe 7-3 at best.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-11-19, 07:52 AM
tribefan23 tribefan23 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-12-18
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 670
tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
cleveland.com article if anyone is interested

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.co...oard-approval/
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-11-19, 08:06 AM
50Hybrid 50Hybrid is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 01-26-18
Posts: 57
50Hybrid is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorGrad2002 View Post
" Our student-athletes have had to deal with multiple instances where they have been the subject of racial slurs on the athletic playing fields. While our student-athletes have dealt with each of these incidents in a remarkably poised way, it is something that must be given serious consideration when making a decision about conference affiliation"

This stuff goes both directions. But yeah I'm sure none of the African American students have EVER said any slur to a white person. Please. It's unfortunate in any case but it happens to all races.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you are white and would get offended by a white racial slur then you are a little a wuss. Just coming from another white guy.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-11-19, 08:16 AM
tribefan23 tribefan23 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-12-18
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 670
tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50Hybrid View Post
If you are white and would get offended by a white racial slur then you are a little a wuss. Just coming from another white guy.
You missed the point. AD at Shaker is claiming "racial sensitivity" as their only reason for leaving the GCC and it makes it seem like every GCC school is racist, when really they're leaving because they get their doors blown off in every sport except basketball and would rather play Shaw, Bedford, Warrensville, etc and go 9-1 in football every year.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-11-19, 08:44 AM
MentorGrad2002's Avatar
MentorGrad2002 MentorGrad2002 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-09-07
Location: Mentor
Posts: 11,072
MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50Hybrid View Post
If you are white and would get offended by a white racial slur then you are a little a wuss. Just coming from another white guy.


Part Latino and part white here. And this is the issue. Why can't white people be victims of racism ? Sorry I don't buy it that black people cant be racist. Some of them are the BIGGEST racists

And shaker can cite being called a few names here or there by fans. Mentor can cite having rocks and bricks thrown at their buses. As you said , a mere word is a lot more wussy than instances like that.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-11-19, 08:47 AM
MentorGrad2002's Avatar
MentorGrad2002 MentorGrad2002 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-09-07
Location: Mentor
Posts: 11,072
MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan23 View Post
You missed the point. AD at Shaker is claiming "racial sensitivity" as their only reason for leaving the GCC and it makes it seem like every GCC school is racist, when really they're leaving because they get their doors blown off in every sport except basketball and would rather play Shaw, Bedford, Warrensville, etc and go 9-1 in football every year.


To be fair , the shaker statement if you read it does cite competition being too difficult and some teams being too far away. Those points are listed first and second in their statement.

Cleveland .com like most media love racial issues though so they dug into that point more. Dying publication needs to get the controversial point into the forefront

It's a bogus inclusion by shaker and total cop out for just sucking at football , but it's not all on them


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-11-19, 10:30 AM
westa-k-ron1 westa-k-ron1 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-14-01
Posts: 1,224
westa-k-ron1 is on a distinguished road
Good for Shaker! This thread has already made their point lol
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-11-19, 10:38 AM
MentorGrad2002's Avatar
MentorGrad2002 MentorGrad2002 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-09-07
Location: Mentor
Posts: 11,072
MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
Actually I've proven it goes both ways with a specific example. I had friends on those buses. Every race is subjected to racism. They are using it to soften the blow of them fleeing because they suck at sports besides basketball


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-11-19, 10:42 AM
westa-k-ron1 westa-k-ron1 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-14-01
Posts: 1,224
westa-k-ron1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorGrad2002 View Post
Actually I've proven it goes both ways with a specific example. I had friends on those buses. Every race is subjected to racism. They are using it to soften the blow of them fleeing because they suck at sports besides basketball


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:-) Like i said thanks for proving their point....
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-11-19, 10:45 AM
MentorGrad2002's Avatar
MentorGrad2002 MentorGrad2002 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-09-07
Location: Mentor
Posts: 11,072
MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
Lake Erie League is expanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa-k-ron1 View Post
:-) Like i said thanks for proving their point....


Thanks for proving my point that many think no matter what black people cant be racist. Despite a very specific hateful example I gave

Also for the record I don't think they are talking about Mentor here. Shaker has been with us in 3 leagues. We helped them get in the noc and mentor was one of the leaders forming the GCC which included them. Mentor was also the school who pushed for Euclid in the GCC

I still think them getting drilled in most sports was the real main reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-11-19, 10:57 AM
westa-k-ron1 westa-k-ron1 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-14-01
Posts: 1,224
westa-k-ron1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorGrad2002 View Post
Thanks for proving my point that many think no matter what black people cant be racist. Despite a very specific hateful example I gave


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol, where did I make that statement? I didn't. This thread and situation is about Shaker and Garflied Heights, not Mentor. You immeadiatly saw Shaker's complaints and tried to make it about Mentor and their previous experiences. I would call someone out on their hypocrisy if the roles were reveresed in this situation.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-11-19, 11:00 AM
tribefan23 tribefan23 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-12-18
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 670
tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
To be fair, they are probably referring more to Medina, Brunswick and Strongsville than to Mentor with the race issues. Maybe Solon too.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-11-19, 11:15 AM
MentorGrad2002's Avatar
MentorGrad2002 MentorGrad2002 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-09-07
Location: Mentor
Posts: 11,072
MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
Lake Erie League is expanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa-k-ron1 View Post
Lol, where did I make that statement? I didn't. This thread and situation is about Shaker and Garflied Heights, not Mentor. You immeadiatly saw Shaker's complaints and tried to make it about Mentor and their previous experiences. I would call someone out on their hypocrisy if the roles were reveresed in this situation.


No. I brought up a specific example about mentor with the lel which is the league shaker is fleeing back to Mentor is a predominantly white school and has had racist taunts and actions done towards them by multiple lel schools over the years

Shaker isn't leaving because of that. Shaker is leaving because they get killed in most sports outside of basketball. To their credit they cited that first in their letter. I was the one who brought that up

The racial stuff is weak and is a cop out. To tribes point , ALL schools have racist fans. Predominantly white, black , brown , mixed makeup whatever. Stuff happens both ways to all schools. That's the ugly truth

To include that is to soften the blow with the cop out. Better to just stick with the real reason. You can't compete in most sports in the GCC and can compete more in the LEL. Because that's the truth


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-11-19, 11:24 AM
westa-k-ron1 westa-k-ron1 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-14-01
Posts: 1,224
westa-k-ron1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorGrad2002 View Post
No. I brought up a specific example about mentor with the lel which is the league shaker is fleeing back to Mentor is a predominantly white school and has had racist taunts and actions done towards them by multiple lel schools over the years
Please explain to me how this is different than what I described?

Quote:
This thread and situation is about Shaker and Garflied Heights, not Mentor. You immeadiatly saw Shaker's complaints and tried to make it about Mentor and their previous experiences.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-11-19, 11:29 AM
MentorGrad2002's Avatar
MentorGrad2002 MentorGrad2002 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-09-07
Location: Mentor
Posts: 11,072
MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
It's relevant to the thread to show the hypocrisy in their statements when they are going back to a league that has had schools pull racist things too

And it deflates that cop out when it really is all about them not being competitive


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-11-19, 11:41 AM
Mr. Red Raider Mr. Red Raider is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 08-23-12
Posts: 771
Mr. Red Raider is on a distinguished road
Hello,

Shaker graduate here. I'd like to chime in my two cents about the move to the LEL.

I'm used to the league because when I was in high school, we played in it, but back then, it was a competitive league.

It's unfortunate that students on the playing fields have dealt with racial slurs, but I will agree with MentorGrad when he says that stuff goes both directions. And Shaker really isn't innocent either. IIRC, the Shaker fan base said some pretty derogatory stuff towards Mentor in a hockey game when the two schools played my senior year, to the point where the principal went on the PA days later and rebuked them pretty hard.

As unfortunate as this is, it is very true that Shaker Heights does get beaten pretty badly in every sport except basketball.

Even though their best record over the course of the four years in the GCC has been only 5-5, they've beaten each of the GCC schools in football at least once except Mentor/Euclid over the course of four years. In my opinion, if they get a better head coach and a couple talented class, they could eventually rise to the next level.

As far as baseball, it's not a good move at all IMO. The LEL is not that good competition-wise and they will more than likely run the table in conference play each year. Doesn't really set you up for postseason success if you beat up on conference minnows like Warrensville Heights and Shaw, unless you have a great non-conference schedule.

They'll probably (more than likely) also run the table in golf, soccer, swimming, and tennis. In soccer they're only playing 2-3 LEL schools, and I think that there are only four schools in the LEL that offer swimming.

For the other sports (Esp. basketball, football, and track), it's a lateral move. And I can understand the move to cut down on travel.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-11-19, 11:41 AM
brian1227's Avatar
brian1227 brian1227 is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-22-06
Posts: 17,029
brian1227 is on a distinguished road
They are leaving due to travel. Lel I's there home.better rivalry.

Last edited by brian1227; 01-11-19 at 12:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-11-19, 11:45 AM
MentorGrad2002's Avatar
MentorGrad2002 MentorGrad2002 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-09-07
Location: Mentor
Posts: 11,072
MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
Mr Red Raider thanks for the honest and objective post my friend. I do hope we still play you guys in basketball once you leave. And I've enjoyed being in a league with you guys. Good luck going forward. I respect Young as a coach. Always tough and disciplined teams


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-11-19, 12:00 PM
tribefan23 tribefan23 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-12-18
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 670
tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1227 View Post
They are leaving due to travel. LOL I's there home.better rivalry.
If they were leaving strictly due to travel, they would have came out and said that and wouldn't have made it a point to include the racial BS that they are spewing out there.

TBH, by putting the racial stuff out there, Shaker is burning it's bridges with other GCC schools. Why would Mentor, Solon, and other "predominantly white" schools want to schedule Shaker in anything in the future if they are afraid that Shaker AD or admin are going to throw them under the bus publicly?

Doesn't make sense for Shaker to air out it's dirty laundry like this
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-11-19, 12:22 PM
westa-k-ron1 westa-k-ron1 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-14-01
Posts: 1,224
westa-k-ron1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan23 View Post
If they were leaving strictly due to travel, they would have came out and said that and wouldn't have made it a point to include the racial BS that they are spewing out there.

TBH, by putting the racial stuff out there, Shaker is burning it's bridges with other GCC schools. Why would Mentor, Solon, and other "predominantly white" schools want to schedule Shaker in anything in the future if they are afraid that Shaker AD or admin are going to throw them under the bus publicly?

Doesn't make sense for Shaker to air out it's dirty laundry like this
Why is it racial BS? Is it racial BS if it's Mentor suffering from the racism that Mentorgrad has described? Why would Danny Young, who's team in competative in the GCC bring up "racial bs" if it's not true?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-11-19, 12:25 PM
westa-k-ron1 westa-k-ron1 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-14-01
Posts: 1,224
westa-k-ron1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorGrad2002 View Post
It's relevant to the thread to show the hypocrisy in their statements when they are going back to a league that has had schools pull racist things too

And it deflates that cop out when it really is all about them not being competitive


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is Shaker Boys basketball competitive? I believe they are so why would Coach Young lie about issues that the Shaker athletes have had to deal with? I'm confused as to why this bothers you so much when you said Mentor had to deal with similar issues and fled for greener pastures. I would think you would be empathetic to Shakers plight.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-11-19, 12:53 PM
MentorGrad2002's Avatar
MentorGrad2002 MentorGrad2002 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-09-07
Location: Mentor
Posts: 11,072
MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa-k-ron1 View Post
Is Shaker Boys basketball competitive? I believe they are so why would Coach Young lie about issues that the Shaker athletes have had to deal with? I'm confused as to why this bothers you so much when you said Mentor had to deal with similar issues and fled for greener pastures. I would think you would be empathetic to Shakers plight.


Mentor never brought up any racial issues publicly. They never tried to play the sympathy race card as a cop out to soften the blow of leaving a league

Mentor actually left the lel for the opposite reason as shaker is leaving the GCC. The lel wasn't competing with us in most sports outside of basketball. Shaker is leaving because they are a doormat in most sports except basketball


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-11-19, 01:15 PM
tribefan23 tribefan23 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-12-18
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 670
tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa-k-ron1 View Post
Why is it racial BS? Is it racial BS if it's Mentor suffering from the racism that Mentorgrad has described? Why would Danny Young, who's team in competative in the GCC bring up "racial bs" if it's not true?
Mentor would never throw another school under the bus and call out an entire conference for being racially or culturally insensitive (or whatever they said). Like Mentorgrad said, kids say stuff like this all the time (whether we like it or not), both black and white. White kids will say stuff to black kids and vice versa. I've seen it happen both ways as a coach. The fact that Shaker is using it as an excuse to leave a conference (that they aren't competitive in outside of basketball) is just sad. Shaker didn't want to admit that they cant hang with Mentor, Solon, Euclid, etc, so they throw this out there. They would rather beat up on Warrensville and Shaw every year and sneak into the playoffs in football in region 1, only to get killed.

If they want to leave the GCC, they have every right to. But don't blame it entirely on race relations. If they want to claim travel, location, school size, competition, that's fine. I am all for those reasons. I don't blame Shaker for wanting to leave the GCC one bit. They don't have the same student population that the other schools have. If there was a conference in between the GCC and LEL in terms of competition, they would fit right in.

But don't throw 7 other schools under the bus.........
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All Federal League Team my2sense Football 2 11-15-18 12:35 PM
Lake Erie Tritons Tryouts Summer 2019 Lake Erie Tritons Baseball 0 06-20-18 01:37 PM
2017 Division II Schedules EagleFan Archives 32 10-25-17 11:29 AM
Ohio Longhorns Tryouts 12U-18U: Big Program News Inside BulldogBaseball Baseball 11 07-26-17 05:44 AM
Massillon Tigers Athletics DB135 Massillon Tigers 15 05-30-17 01:22 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:13 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz