Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-05-19, 09:23 PM
All Region

Ballboy000 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TippIsGreat View Post
Cade Beam was listed as a senior but he is only a junior. So they return there QB, FB, OT, 2 OG, 2 DTs, DE and LB. Tipp started 4 sophomores last year, that senior class had a high number but a lot of those kids didn’t play. The talent in that class was not good. Tipp’s upcoming junior class is one of the better classes they have had in awhile. Tipp will be better next year.
So they lost 11 of their top 12 tacklers instead of 13 of 14 and they return one RB but lose the rest that accounted for 2/3rds of their yardage 1604 of 2599. Also return 2 receivers of 10 that caught passes instead of 1 but lose the top 3.

Those 2 DT's, DE & LB that are returning starters could not have made very many tackles then with only one of them in the top 12 at 9th which has to be Willoughby a LBer.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited by Ballboy000; 01-05-19 at 10:39 PM.
Old 01-05-19, 09:33 PM
All Region

Quote:
Also, since it was announced Derge was leaving I know of at least 5 kids that are going to return to playing next year.
Those 5 must not be in love with the game.
Old 01-05-19, 09:39 PM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
Considering fit, connections, and likelihood of being interested, barring a surprise applicant I'd think Clodfelter seems pretty likely here, and I'd expect him to do pretty well. The style of play might not be sexy, but based off of what he did at Beavercreek and has done at Bethel IMO he'd consistently have them in the top half of the MVL and would win 6-7 games virtually every year.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-19, 09:43 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwarrior09 View Post
Considering fit, connections, and likelihood of being interested, barring a surprise applicant I'd think Clodfelter seems pretty likely here, and I'd expect him to do pretty well. The style of play might not be sexy, but based off of what he did at Beavercreek and has done at Bethel IMO he'd consistently have them in the top half of the MVL and would win 6-7 games virtually every year.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
He is a pretty decent coach. I would much rather defend the Triple than Derge's Wing T though. Defending the Triple is pretty standard. The Wing T not so much ... you gotta find the damn ball. Freezes your linebackers.
Old 01-05-19, 09:43 PM
Freshman

Daytonfootball is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Also, since it was announced Derge was leaving I know of at least 5 kids that are going to return to playing next year.
This and Staley are two great examples of the real issue underlying the program/community. There was great success in the CBC, there was not previously in the SRC or since leaving the CBC. The school is in a very tough conference & parents are going to have to let coaches do their job if they want to be competitive.

***Burbacher was never lauded as a coach they wanted until he left as well. Parents need to take a back seat, AD needs to step up and support coaches (not saying the current doesnít, itís the model they need to go to) and kids need to be responsive to being corrected & challenged. Tipp is a low talent team & pool compared to other teams on the schedule. They need 100% buy-in tonwhowver is next...even if they run the single wing offense!
Old 01-05-19, 09:49 PM
Freshman

GoBucks85 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballboy000 View Post
Those 5 must not be in love with the game.
It is hard to count on players who take a year off, no matter what the reasoning is.
Old 01-05-19, 09:55 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBucks85 View Post
It is hard to count on players who take a year off, no matter what the reasoning is.
Yes - and once one quits the game it becomes much easier to quit again or quit on your teammates in a game. That is why college recruiters ask about the reason for a missing season of play.
Old 01-05-19, 10:29 PM
All Region

Quote:
Cade Beam was listed as a senior but he is only a junior. So they return there QB, FB, OT, 2 OG, 2 DTs, DE and LB. Tipp started 4 sophomores last year, that senior class had a high number but a lot of those kids didnít play. The talent in that class was not good. Tippís upcoming junior class is one of the better classes they have had in awhile. Tipp will be better next year.
If that junior class is one of the better to come thru as you say, they are also one of the smallest with only 10 players. I also wouldn't say the talent in your senior class was no good. I wouldn't even think of saying that about our seniors even if it were true. You may be part of the problem in your school friend. Josh Burritt, one of your seniors that you say are no good happened to be one of the better players in the entire GWOC. A 1000 yard rusher with speed that averaged an astounding 10.1 yards per carry. You just don't replace players like him or lump them into a group as no good.
Old 01-05-19, 11:03 PM
Freshman

GoBucks85 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If that junior class is one of the better to come thru as you say, they are also one of the smallest with only 10 players. I also wouldn't say the talent in your senior class was no good. I wouldn't even think of saying that about our seniors even if it were true. You may be part of the problem in your school friend. Josh Burritt, one of your seniors that you say are no good happened to be one of the better players in the entire GWOC. A 1000 yard rusher with speed that averaged an astounding 10.1 yards per carry. You just don't replace players like him or lump them into a group as no good.
I think he is talking about next years juniors, not this year. Burritt is a stud, but he was not a leader. He was more concerned about getting his than the team winning.
Old 01-05-19, 11:04 PM
Junior Varsity

jblotter56 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Very good point. There were many seniors on the team that have a lot of talent.

Again tippisgreat you are obviously in the system. your occupation you put in your Yappi profile is an OT and am wondering if you are the trainer for them. You shouldn't be bashing the kids your supposed to be helping.
Old 01-05-19, 11:13 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblotter56 View Post
Very good point. There were many seniors on the team that have a lot of talent.

Again tippisgreat you are obviously in the system. your occupation you put in your Yappi profile is an OT and am wondering if you are the trainer for them. You shouldn't be bashing the kids your supposed to be helping.
Strength Trainer in my opinion based on reading between the lines of previous post. Definitely a contracted member of the staff in some manner.
Old 01-05-19, 11:28 PM
All Region

Quote:
I think he is talking about next years juniors, not this year. Burritt is a stud, but he was not a leader. He was more concerned about getting his than the team winning.
Yeah he was. Next years Senior Class has 10 returning. The Junior Class will have 18 returning from last year.
Old 01-06-19, 12:19 AM
All American

TippIsGreat is on a distinguished road
I don’t work with any athletes at Tipp.
Old 01-06-19, 12:21 AM
All American

Quote:
Which seemed to be the problem with most of that class. Hence the reason I said it wasnít a good class.
Old 01-06-19, 09:01 AM
All Region

OHFball10 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Shomper was being investigated by the police. The teacher had missed over 40 days in two years and the principal decided to let him go. The girls coach had an affair with an assistant coach. There is no underlying problem at Tipp. Those are just unfortunate circumstances.
Agreed. That was the most ignorant post so far in this thread. Those things were all completely unrelated and don't pertain at all to Tipp football. Someone just wants to try and paint Tipp in a negative light.
Old 01-06-19, 10:10 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHFball10 View Post
Agreed. That was the most ignorant post so far in this thread. Those things were all completely unrelated and don't pertain at all to Tipp football. Someone just wants to try and paint Tipp in a negative light.
There seems to be a lot of that. Especially with brand new accounts that have been created in the past week
Old 01-06-19, 01:41 PM
All American

Quote:
You know what's sad....someone hiding behind a false identity and bashing kids that they worked with for 4 years.
I didnít work with any kids. And if saying that a group of seniors werenít that committed or didnít care about the team and just wanted there own is bashing then you and I are from different times.
Old 01-06-19, 02:16 PM
Junior Varsity

jblotter56 is on a distinguished road
Fine I’ll retract. But my main concern is that you throwing Clodfelter and Burbacher around and a few others like they are the only good choices. The problem with it is that this exact same thing happened when Charlie resigned. All these names got thrown around and when they selected Derge people didn’t give him a chance. He never had the chance to get the respect he deserved by some athletes because they were disappointed their coach wasn’t hired. Derge was a really good coach and chances are they are going to hire from within. If they do and he/she is not well known, people like you need to give them a chance.
Old 01-06-19, 03:06 PM
All American

Quote:
Fine I’ll retract. But my main concern is that you throwing Clodfelter and Burbacher around and a few others like they are the only good choices. The problem with it is that this exact same thing happened when Charlie resigned. All these names got thrown around and when they selected Derge people didn’t give him a chance. He never had the chance to get the respect he deserved by some athletes because they were disappointed their coach wasn’t hired. Derge was a really good coach and chances are they are going to hire from within. If they do and he/she is not well known, people like you need to give them a chance.
They are not going to hire within. And if they did people should be upset because there is nobody within that even comes close to having the qualifications that Derge had when he was hired. The only one who I’d consider somewhat qualified is Syphrit.
Old 01-06-19, 03:37 PM
All Region

Quote:
It is obvious that Coach Derge had no problem at all in getting male students to participate in his football program or retaining them. As a matter of fact he was by far the best at getting participation of any coach in the MVL. Based on Roster size as a percentage of Male Enrollment he almost doubles the rest of the league's coaches in Male Participation rate. Tipps roster size is phenomenal compared to their Male Enrollment. Amazing considering Derge is the only football coach that is a teacher in the high school.

MVL - Male Participation Percentage in Football

Tippecanoe - 78/296 - 26.4%
Greenville - 52/315 - 16.5%
Vandalia-Butler - 59/385 - 15.3%
Piqua - 56/381 - 14.7%
Troy - 73/513 - 14.2%
Sidney - 57/421 - 13.5%
Xenia - 63/508 - 12.4%
Fairborn - 51/440 - 11.6%
West Carrollton - 41/354 - 11.6%
Stebbins - 51/463 - 11.0%

Last edited by Ballboy000; 01-06-19 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-06-19, 04:54 PM
All Region

[QUOTE=Ballboy000;7225853]It is obvious that Coach Derge had no problem at all in getting male students to participate in his football program or retaining them. As a matter of fact he was by far the best at getting participation of any coach in the MVL. Based on Roster size as a percentage of Male Enrollment he almost doubles the rest of the league's coaches in Male Participation rate. Tipps roster size is phenomenal compared to their Male Enrollment. Amazing considering Derge is the only football coach that is a teacher in the high school.

The fact that Derge was the only football coach that was a teacher at the high school will, or should, have an impact on who Tipp hires. If they hire someone that is not going to be a teacher at the high school and there are no football coaches at the high school then student participation, grade monitoring, etc; would be expected to suffer. The importance of having some of your coaches as teachers in the hallways of the school cannot be overstated.

Last edited by Ballboy000; 01-07-19 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-06-19, 09:56 PM
All Region

Quote:
there are not any assistants worthy of the job, the lack of quality assistants the past 2 years is one of the main reasons I believe they have struggled.
I have to disagree with you that Tipp does not have any quality assistants my friend. Coach Karl Stanbery who has been with your team around 5 or 6 years does a very good job as a young coach. His defenses have ranked in the top 3-5 in scoring defense when compared to the 10 MVL teams in the GWOC during the 3 years Tipp has been at this level of play. That includes Tipp playing the likes of Trotwood & Northmont whom some of the other MVL teams did not have to play. I could name a lot of coaches that have not done as well from the GWOC & MVL. Coaches are an easy target for criticism but there is a lot more than just coaching that determines the success of a program. Much of that is outside of the control of a coaching staff.
Old 01-06-19, 11:01 PM
All Ohio

HomeRunsNDunks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It is obvious that Coach Derge had no problem at all in getting male students to participate in his football program or retaining them. As a matter of fact he was by far the best at getting participation of any coach in the MVL. Based on Roster size as a percentage of Male Enrollment he almost doubles the rest of the league's coaches in Male Participation rate. Tipps roster size is phenomenal compared to their Male Enrollment. Amazing considering Derge is the only football coach that is a teacher in the high school.

MVL - Male Participation Percentage in Football

Piqua - 56/381 - 14.7%
Troy - 73/513 - 14.2%
Sidney - 57/421 - 13.5%
Xenia - 63/508 - 12.4%
Are you getting the roster numbers from the GWOC site? Tipp may still have the largest percentage but for example, Troy doesn't list freshman on their varsity roster. It appears that Tipp has quite a few freshman on their GWOC roster. Piqua only has one, Sidney has three. I don't think Troy has another fifty freshman but they probably have 20-30, Piqua would probably be closer if they had 20 or so.
Old 01-06-19, 11:30 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeRunsNDunks View Post
Are you getting the roster numbers from the GWOC site? Tipp may still have the largest percentage but for example, Troy doesn't list freshman on their varsity roster. It appears that Tipp has quite a few freshman on their GWOC roster. Piqua only has one, Sidney has three. I don't think Troy has another fifty freshman but they probably have 20-30, Piqua would probably be closer if they had 20 or so.
Yes and I realized that myself after making the post. Troy has one on their roster. It does not make a difference in the fact that Tippecanoe has a wide margin on male participation percentage. If you add 25 Freshman which is about average to Troy, Piqua and Sidney the participation percentage changes to the following:

Piqua - 80/381 - 21.0%
Troy - 97/513 - 18.9%
Sidney - 79/421 - 18.8%
Xenia - 63/508 - 12.4%

The Average School Male Participation Percentage in football for the MVL is 15.97% - 651/4076

The other 7 teams included their freshmen on their rosters. Good catch - I was expecting someone to eventually catch that.

Last edited by Ballboy000; 01-07-19 at 12:40 AM.
Old 01-07-19, 01:56 AM
All Region

Quote:
Yes and I realized that myself after making the post. Troy has one on their roster. It does not make a difference in the fact that Tippecanoe has a wide margin on male participation percentage. If you add 25 Freshman which is about average to Troy, Piqua and Sidney the participation percentage changes to the following:

Piqua - 80/381 - 21.0%
Troy - 97/513 - 18.9%
Sidney - 79/421 - 18.8%
Xenia - 63/508 - 12.4%

The Average School Male Participation Percentage in football for the MVL is 15.97% - 651/4076

The other 7 teams included their freshmen on their rosters. Good catch - I was expecting someone to eventually catch that.

Interesting that the schools closest to Dayton are the ones that have the lowest participation percentages.
Old 01-07-19, 02:19 AM
All Region

It's also interesting, taking coaching out of the equation, at how the schools roster strengths line up in general with the schools that have the stronger to weaker football programs.

Troy - 97
Piqua - 80
Sidney - 79
Tipp - 78
Xenia - 63
Butler - 59
Greenville - 52
Fairborn - 51
Stebbins - 51
West Carrollton - 41
Old 01-07-19, 02:43 PM
All American

yakyak is on a distinguished road
No one is excited about the Tipp job. Average Athletes for the GWOC, below average parents. I do think their AD is moving things in the right direction. Maybe he could sell a future different than the present? The fit here is a young guy trying to build a reputation/resume. No seasoned coach with quality will go, it would be a step back. (Again, the AD could talk it up).

I do not see how they will get a coach that is an improvement over the previous coach. Unless they hit a homerun like Butler did. Pulling in a coordinator from a big school that has never been HC before may get them a big win.
Old 01-07-19, 03:09 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyak View Post
The fit here is a young guy trying to build a reputation/resume. No seasoned coach with quality will go, it would be a step back.
That is what they had with Joel Derge. And he built a good reputation & resume in his 4 years there as head coach. May have not met the unrealistic expectations of Tipp parents & fans but certainly did with those that know HS football in the area.
Old 01-07-19, 03:38 PM
Freshman

DonJuanDeMarco is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Being pretty familiar with all of four of those communities myself, I would say that Beavercreek and Northmont are very close demographically, although Creek has 350 more boys to draw from than the Bolts do.
This is a funny joke.
Old 01-07-19, 04:12 PM
All Region

HSFB is on a distinguished road
For those who want to open up the offense try this name... Lance Schneider. Yes, I know he has a past history, but how long ago was that? Would the Tipp. Admin. give him a second chance? Food for thought.