Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 01-03-19, 10:30 PM
Ballboy000 Ballboy000 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-21-15
Posts: 511
Ballboy000 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TippIsGreat View Post
From what I have heard a lot of kids in the school that stopped playing football are now saying they will play again. One of the biggest reasons the admin was unsure of Derge, as well as others, was because the kids didn’t want to play for him. So many kids stopped playing because they couldn’t take him serious or questioned him. One could say that is a product of kids who shouldn’t be playing football in the first place or a bad culture among students, but star players fighting with Derge or questioning everything he does puts questions into the admins mind. I’m only stating what I have heard from players and people around the program. Derge is a brilliant offensive mind, and a great man, but it seems to me as that it’s hard for kids to want to play for him. Whatever that reason is I’m not sure.
I'll tell you what the problem at Tippecanoe is. The players, parents, & Administration became spoiled playing at a lower level against lessor competition in the CBC.

Derge went 10-2 the "only year" he coached Tipp in the CBC losing in the 2nd game of the Playoffs to Trotwood 19-32. In the eight years prior Tipp had three seasons they won 10 games or more & in their best season they lost to Trotwood in the playoffs 7-25. If Tipp had stayed in the CBC they would have continued their previous success under Coach Derge without skipping a beat.

In Derges first & only year in the CBC Tipp played 4 Division 4 teams, 1 Division 5 team, 2 Division 2 teams and 0 Division 1 teams. The 10 schools Tipp played in the regular season had an average enrollment of 285.5 Boys to Tipps 296.

In Derges last year in the GWOC Tipp played 1 Division 4 team, 0 Division 5 teams, 3 Division 2 teams, and 1 Division 1 team. The 10 schools Tipp played in the regular season had an average enrollment of 405.5 Boys to Tipps 296.

120 more Boys per school pool to draw from by opponents makes one hell of a difference in the competition that Tipp has faced since moving up from the CBC. Joel Derge went 26-17 at Tipp with two playoffs. He was 10-2 in the CBC and 16-15 coaching the "smallest school" for Male Enrollment in the 20 team GWOC against opponents from Divisions 1,2 & 3. In the CBC Tipp was far from the smallest school and played opponents from Divisions 2,3,4, & 5 with half of those from Divisions 4 & 5.

For being the smallest school of the 20 schools in the GWOC, Coach Derge and his staff did one hell of a job against significant odds, accumulating a winning record & out scoring bigger schools 834-725 while even making the playoffs. A feat that some GWOC teams have never accomplished.

Tipp will still be the smallest school in the MVL for Male Enrollment and will still be playing Division 2 & 3 teams. Troy has almost twice the Male Enrollment that Tipp has with 513. That is 217 more boys to draw from. The new coach won't have Northmont or Trotwood to face but I think Tipp is going to be hard pressed to find any coach that will do as well in the MVL as Coach Derge & his staff did in the GWOC against the odds.

Last edited by Ballboy000; 01-03-19 at 11:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-03-19, 11:09 PM
Pigskin Pigskin is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 10-27-04
Posts: 78
Pigskin is on a distinguished road
Coach Derge did a great job at Tipp. The truth is that he did a lot with some average HS football players while moving into a tougher league. Not bad, but not exactly at the same level of talent as say 10 years ago. Way too many people who know nothing about football (players, parents, admins) trying to gamble with his chips. I don't blame him for wanting to get away from being a head coach. Hopefully, coach will find a nice place to coach football as a coordinator and leave the headaches to the head coach (community/administrative whipping boy) or find a community where they let the coach run his program.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-03-19, 11:46 PM
Ballboy000 Ballboy000 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-21-15
Posts: 511
Ballboy000 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TippIsGreat View Post
Derge is a brilliant offensive mind, and a great man,
Although Derge is a brilliant offensive mind as you state, he actually coached Tipps Defense this year giving up only 16 points a game while the Offense scored a little over 26 per game. Only one D3 team in the GWOC gave up less points than Derge's defense and that was Trotwood which gave up 11 points per game.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-04-19, 08:29 AM
OHFball10 OHFball10 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 10-07-14
Location: Ohio
Posts: 299
OHFball10 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballboy000 View Post
If Tipp was not happy with the Wing T they certainly won't be happy with the Triple Option.
I believe it's only ignorant parents who are the ones who get upset with the Wing-T. They think Tipp could run an effective spread offense, when in reality, they don't have the athletes to do it, and I have yet to see a QB at Tipp be effective enough to do that (except maybe Zack Blair).

To remain competitive, a run-heavy offense is their best bet. A few passing plays mixed in helps, but people thinking they can air it out like Ohio State are just dumb.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-04-19, 08:33 AM
TippIsGreat TippIsGreat is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-28-15
Location: Tipp City
Posts: 1,317
TippIsGreat is on a distinguished road
Sounds like a certain coach is interested in a homecoming, would be a homerun hire.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-04-19, 09:00 AM
BoomerSooner BoomerSooner is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-11-13
Posts: 409
BoomerSooner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHFball10 View Post
I believe it's only ignorant parents who are the ones who get upset with the Wing-T. They think Tipp could run an effective spread offense, when in reality, they don't have the athletes to do it, and I have yet to see a QB at Tipp be effective enough to do that (except maybe Zack Blair).

To remain competitive, a run-heavy offense is their best bet. A few passing plays mixed in helps, but people thinking they can air it out like Ohio State are just dumb.
This is another reason why Tipp has struggled in their transition to the GWOC. For 2014 and before, they had a serviceable QB (Blair in 2014, and thinking back, you had Hughes, Watkins, Landwehr, Marsh, Strawser, etc.). All of those guys could at least get the job done in the passing game, but since 2014, it has amazed me how awful their QB play has been.

Given, the nature of the wing-t makes it so they can still have a productive offense with pure running, as they have remained competitive, but they picked a bad time for a drop off at the QB spot, among other levels of talent across the board.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-04-19, 09:09 AM
TippIsGreat TippIsGreat is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-28-15
Location: Tipp City
Posts: 1,317
TippIsGreat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner View Post
This is another reason why Tipp has struggled in their transition to the GWOC. For 2014 and before, they had a serviceable QB (Blair in 2014, and thinking back, you had Hughes, Watkins, Landwehr, Marsh, Strawser, etc.). All of those guys could at least get the job done in the passing game, but since 2014, it has amazed me how awful their QB play has been.

Given, the nature of the wing-t makes it so they can still have a productive offense with pure running, as they have remained competitive, but they picked a bad time for a drop off at the QB spot, among other levels of talent across the board.
To put this in some context in 2017 Tippís starting senior QB Dylan Blair broke his ankle in the 4th game and Tipp has to start a junior Safety at QB. Then this past year they started a sophomore QB in Troy Taylor, who by his senior season could be really good.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-04-19, 09:10 AM
TippIsGreat TippIsGreat is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-28-15
Location: Tipp City
Posts: 1,317
TippIsGreat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner View Post
This is another reason why Tipp has struggled in their transition to the GWOC. For 2014 and before, they had a serviceable QB (Blair in 2014, and thinking back, you had Hughes, Watkins, Landwehr, Marsh, Strawser, etc.). All of those guys could at least get the job done in the passing game, but since 2014, it has amazed me how awful their QB play has been.

Given, the nature of the wing-t makes it so they can still have a productive offense with pure running, as they have remained competitive, but they picked a bad time for a drop off at the QB spot, among other levels of talent across the board.
Donít forget Gottahardt for the 2015 team that went 10-2.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-04-19, 09:41 AM
fangwoc fangwoc is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 04-30-12
Posts: 222
fangwoc is on a distinguished road
Clodfelter gets this job if Tipp doesn't care that he still works at Beavercreek. No way can he leave Beavercreek with his years.

He is proven winner. He took Beavercreek from a dumpster fire to respectable only to go back to a dumpster fire after his departure. He then took Bethel out of the dumps to the playoffs.

Tipp always has decent athletes and with the new league, I believe they will be very competitive. Not sure of any other names that make sense.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-04-19, 10:03 AM
Bluedevil45 Bluedevil45 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 05-25-15
Posts: 11
Bluedevil45 is on a distinguished road
I heard from someone that works in Tipp that they now have it in their contract where they can honor the amount of years of service for new hirers in their district. So Clodfelter wouldnít need to take a pay cut.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 01-04-19, 10:28 AM
dograt dograt is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 09-29-03
Location: Dayton
Posts: 735
dograt is on a distinguished road
yeah, that's not legal. It's actually in the O.R.C. Not saying schools don't do it, but I'd be shocked if they wrote it into their contract.

Speaking football wise. Being the only triple option team in the new MVL would be an advatage.

(B) No teacher shall be paid a salary less than that provided in the schedule set forth in division (C) of this section. In calculating the minimum salary any teacher shall be paid pursuant to this section, years of service shall include the sum of all years of the teacher's teaching service included in divisions (A)(1)(a), (b), (c), and (d) of this section; except that any school district or educational service center employing a teacher new to the district or educational service center shall grant such teacher a total of not more than ten years of service pursuant to divisions (A)(1)(b), (c), and (d) of this section.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01-04-19, 10:29 AM
CoachRuxin CoachRuxin is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 07-19-16
Posts: 112
CoachRuxin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dograt View Post
yeah, that's not legal. It's actually in the O.R.C. Not saying schools don't do it, but I'd be shocked if they wrote it into their contract.

Speaking football wise. Being the only triple option team in the new MVL would be an advatage.
Pretty sure Xenia is also triple, but i agree not seeing it often is an advantage.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-04-19, 10:31 AM
dograt dograt is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 09-29-03
Location: Dayton
Posts: 735
dograt is on a distinguished road
didn't know, guess I need to get out more.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-04-19, 10:31 AM
TippIsGreat TippIsGreat is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-28-15
Location: Tipp City
Posts: 1,317
TippIsGreat is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=dograt;7224440
Speaking football wise. Being the only triple option team in the new MVL would be an advatage.[/QUOTE]

Yes, and he would bring a toughness back to Tipp. Who knows if he even wants the job, but from what Iím hearing Tipp is going to go after him. Although there is one coach at a bigger school who it appears may want to come to Tipp. We will see
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-04-19, 10:41 AM
fangwoc fangwoc is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 04-30-12
Posts: 222
fangwoc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TippIsGreat View Post
Yes, and he would bring a toughness back to Tipp. Who knows if he even wants the job, but from what Iím hearing Tipp is going to go after him. Although there is one coach at a bigger school who it appears may want to come to Tipp. We will see
Name of big school coach? Please donít say Channel
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 01-04-19, 11:17 AM
TippIsGreat TippIsGreat is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-28-15
Location: Tipp City
Posts: 1,317
TippIsGreat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fangwoc View Post
Name of big school coach? Please donít say Channel
Not Channel
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 01-04-19, 11:56 AM
D4fan D4fan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-08-15
Location: At work
Posts: 3,269
D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedevil45 View Post
I heard from someone that works in Tipp that they now have it in their contract where they can honor the amount of years of service for new hirers in their district. So Clodfelter wouldnít need to take a pay cut.
And his wife already works for Tipp so that is a plus. I didn't know there were districts that did not honor the years of service, but Tipp is one of the few non union schools so that may be reflected in such issues as credit for service?
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 01-04-19, 12:08 PM
fangwoc fangwoc is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 04-30-12
Posts: 222
fangwoc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by D4fan View Post
And his wife already works for Tipp so that is a plus. I didn't know there were districts that did not honor the years of service, but Tipp is one of the few non union schools so that may be reflected in such issues as credit for service?
Tipp is Union now
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 01-04-19, 12:13 PM
Ballboy000 Ballboy000 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-21-15
Posts: 511
Ballboy000 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TippIsGreat View Post
To put this in some context in 2017 Tippís starting senior QB Dylan Blair broke his ankle in the 4th game and Tipp has to start a junior Safety at QB. Then this past year they started a sophomore QB in Troy Taylor, who by his senior season could be really good.
I've watched a lot of Troy Taylor on HUDL video. He is going to be a very good QB for Tipp depending upon what offense they are running. He handled the Wing T very well as a sophomore & is a very decent passer. Don't think he would fair as well in a Triple Option as he does in the Wing T. His dad played DE for Wayne back in the late 1980s to 1990 timeframe and was a QB in junior high.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 01-04-19, 12:13 PM
dograt dograt is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 09-29-03
Location: Dayton
Posts: 735
dograt is on a distinguished road
Ohio Revised Code doesn't care about unions. Other posters on other threads have mentioned schools who have given more than 10 years. I don't know if they really know what they're talking about, or just think they do. Schools might do it, maybe it's one of those laws nobody tries to enforce. I just know it's on the books. If one teacher complains....
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 01-04-19, 12:13 PM
TippIsGreat TippIsGreat is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-28-15
Location: Tipp City
Posts: 1,317
TippIsGreat is on a distinguished road
Max Current would be another great hire but I doubt he’d even consider leaving Miami East. I’m sure Rick Meeks will apply
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 01-04-19, 12:15 PM
TroyTrojan05 TroyTrojan05 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-19-11
Posts: 5,565
TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TippIsGreat View Post
Max Current would be another great hire but I doubt heíd even consider leaving Miami East. Iím sure Rick Meeks will apply
Troy has some good assistants. Hope they don't leave, but one that comes to mind is Tyler Wright. Only a matter of time before he gets a HC gig.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 01-04-19, 12:16 PM
TippIsGreat TippIsGreat is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-28-15
Location: Tipp City
Posts: 1,317
TippIsGreat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fangwoc View Post
Name of big school coach? Please donít say Channel
Check your messages
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 01-04-19, 12:18 PM
TippIsGreat TippIsGreat is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-28-15
Location: Tipp City
Posts: 1,317
TippIsGreat is on a distinguished road
The opening was posted on OHSAA yesterday, I believe it will be open until the 18th
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 01-04-19, 12:22 PM
TippIsGreat TippIsGreat is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-28-15
Location: Tipp City
Posts: 1,317
TippIsGreat is on a distinguished road
What is Tyler’s background?
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 01-04-19, 12:27 PM
TroyTrojan05 TroyTrojan05 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-19-11
Posts: 5,565
TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TippIsGreat View Post
What is Tylerís background?
Again, this is just me talking. I have zero clue if he would ever leave or is interested. Just want to get that out there. All I know is that he will be a head coach at some point in the near future. And with the offense he runs, he would fit at Tipp pretty well.

He was Troy's qb in the late 2000's. Pretty young guy, probably only like 28/29. Has been a coach at Bluffton college as well. He's been our qb coach and OC for several years now.

Really hope he stays put though!
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 01-04-19, 12:31 PM
TippIsGreat TippIsGreat is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-28-15
Location: Tipp City
Posts: 1,317
TippIsGreat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
Again, this is just me talking. I have zero clue if he would ever leave or is interested. Just want to get that out there. All I know is that he will be a head coach at some point in the near future. And with the offense he runs, he would fit at Tipp pretty well.

He was Troy's qb in the late 2000's. Pretty young guy, probably only like 28/29. Has been a coach at Bluffton college as well. He's been our qb coach and OC for several years now.

Really hope he stays put though!
If he wanted to be a head coach it could all matter on Matt Burbacher, he could be at Troy for 20+ years, or maybe he could come to Tipp. Either way something tells me this Tyler guy will be a head coach in Miami county sooner rather than later
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 01-04-19, 12:39 PM
Ballboy000 Ballboy000 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-21-15
Posts: 511
Ballboy000 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fangwoc View Post
Clodfelter gets this job if Tipp doesn't care that he still works at Beavercreek. No way can he leave Beavercreek with his years.

He is proven winner. He took Beavercreek from a dumpster fire to respectable only to go back to a dumpster fire after his departure. He then took Bethel out of the dumps to the playoffs.

Tipp always has decent athletes and with the new league, I believe they will be very competitive. Not sure of any other names that make sense.
Coach Clodfelter has an overall 73-78 record over 15 years which is a 48.3% winning percentage. He was 43-57 at D1 Beavercreek over 10 seasons and is 30-21 at D4 Bethel over 5 seasons. Last season he was 6-4. His last season at Creek was 5-5. His last two Beavercreek teams averaged running the ball 57 times and passing 6 times per game. He runs the Triple Option.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 01-04-19, 12:41 PM
TippIsGreat TippIsGreat is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-28-15
Location: Tipp City
Posts: 1,317
TippIsGreat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballboy000 View Post
Coach Clodfelter has an overall 73-78 record over 15 years which is a 48.3% winning percentage. He was 43-57 at D1 Beavercreek over 10 seasons and is 30-21 at D4 Bethel over 5 seasons. Last season he was 6-4. His last season at Creek was 5-5. His last two Beavercreek teams averaged running the ball 57 times and passing 6 times per game.
43-57 at Beavercreek is good, and heís had two consecutive winning seasons at Bethel
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 01-04-19, 12:51 PM
Ballboy000 Ballboy000 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-21-15
Posts: 511
Ballboy000 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
Troy has some good assistants. Hope they don't leave, but one that comes to mind is Tyler Wright. Only a matter of time before he gets a HC gig.
Tyler Wright will be a very good head coach someday. Knows his offense & has some knowledge of college recruiting which is important. Also knows how to utilize the HUDL Scouting Center to create scouting reports on opponents. He runs a spread RPO attack utilizing tempo. Has a bright future.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Barberton: A Coaching Legacy frecriss Barberton Magics 18 11-28-18 11:02 AM
Fairfield High School Head Coach to coach in Under Armor All American football game. graceunder Football 0 11-29-17 02:11 PM
Mount Union Head Coach at Tuscarawas County Wres. Club wrestling_fan_ Wrestling 1 05-02-17 11:54 AM
Any news on a New Head Football Coach to replaces Coach Bob Sax at Akron Garfield ??? IUDOGS Football 12 05-02-17 08:25 AM
Looking For Head Coach QueenCityLegends Baseball 2 11-17-16 09:43 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz