Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-29-19, 09:56 AM
All District

CoachRuxin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fangwoc View Post
And exactly that, just a rumor. Not happening
I was told by someone that works at Carlisle, Clodfelter has applied there.
Old 01-29-19, 04:24 PM
All Yappi

BlessEmAll is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BlessEmAll
Heís leaving Bethel? For Carlisle? Hmmm
Old 01-31-19, 04:37 PM
All American

SouthwestOhioGuy17 is on a distinguished road
Madison Mohawks

Madison elevates Davis to head coaching position

https://www.journal-news.com/sports/...WEmxNY7K6iijO/
Old 01-31-19, 06:18 PM
All District

Man is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthwestOhioGuy17 View Post
Madison elevates Davis to head coaching position

Madison hired a 25 year old with half a year of coaching experience to be their next HC? HAHAHA
Old 01-31-19, 07:28 PM
All American

alk4474 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
Madison hired a 25 year old with half a year of coaching experience to be their next HC? HAHAHA
25 is way to young to be a head coach in high school. Bad move
Old 01-31-19, 07:53 PM
Varsity

copperchair
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
There's a guy getting ready to coach in the Super Bowl and he's 33...........
I'm very excited about the hire!
Old 01-31-19, 07:55 PM
Varsity

copperchair
Quote:
Originally Posted by alk4474 View Post
Sean McVay
33 years
January 24, 1986
Old 01-31-19, 07:57 PM
Freshman

SWOH2032 is on a distinguished road
What was Madison thinking hiring a 25 year old kid as the next head coach? What experience does he have! Being hired as an assitant 1 year. Very confusing can someone please explain this to me.
Old 01-31-19, 08:36 PM
All District

CoachD31 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH2032 View Post
What was Madison thinking hiring a 25 year old kid as the next head coach? What experience does he have! Being hired as an assitant 1 year. Very confusing can someone please explain this to me.
Something weird is going on there
Old 01-31-19, 08:42 PM
All Ohio

Exit 29 is on a distinguished road
I think Davis will do well as long as he doesnít let parents intimidate him. I think he has a good football mind and is committed to Madison. This could be a very good success story or it could go very bad for Madison.
Old 01-31-19, 09:02 PM
All Region

HistoryTeacher is on a distinguished road
Goodluck to Ricky. A very engaging young man. This is definitely a big risk. It is incredibly different being a Head Coach than an Assistant, even if he was a co-coordinator. Very inexperienced, I hope Madison sets in place a lot of help for him to succeed. The bigger part of this is that he will be a Substitute teacher at Madison. That tells me they had no anticipated teaching positions. I just hope Ricky has a good financial background because these 2 jobs may pay him 26k a year.
Old 01-31-19, 09:17 PM
All Ohio

NewOldBlood is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperchair View Post
There's a guy getting ready to coach in the Super Bowl and he's 33...........

I'm very excited about the hire!
I think the biggest issue here is his lack of coaching experience, not his age. This is an unheard of move with only a half of year of coaching. His playing experience is great, but playing is not coaching. Good luck to him and the mohawks. Like someone else said, this good be a Hollywood like story or a complete disaster.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-19, 09:34 PM
All Region

Ballboy000 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by alk4474 View Post
Generally speaking yes but there are exceptions to every rule. Joel Derge took over Tipp at age 25 and did a very good job as HC including 2 playoffs in 4 years. He did have 7 years experience as an assistant and OC though. Randy Kerns the new Fairborn HC became a head coach 4-5 years ago at around 27-28 years old I believe & took a team to the playoffs two years ago. Madison's hire is no doubt a pretty stiff blow to the ego of the other 21 applicants though, I would imagine.

Last edited by Ballboy000; 01-31-19 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-31-19, 11:21 PM
All American

SouthwestOhioGuy17 is on a distinguished road
Madison Hires Davis

UPDATED WITH QUOTES: Youthful Davis 'excited to attack' Madison's head coaching job

Old 01-31-19, 11:41 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthwestOhioGuy17 View Post
UPDATED WITH QUOTES: Youthful Davis 'excited to attack' Madison's head coaching job

A Gun Wing T with RPO's included. Love it
Old 02-01-19, 12:16 AM
All American

TippIsGreat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOldBlood View Post
I think the biggest issue here is his lack of coaching experience, not his age. This is an unheard of move with only a half of year of coaching. His playing experience is great, but playing is not coaching. Good luck to him and the mohawks. Like someone else said, this good be a Hollywood like story or a complete disaster.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Id much rather have a division 1 college quarterback who played for Bo Pelini with no experience coaching, over a guy who never played football after high school and has been coaching for 10 years. This is a guy the kids can connect with, and if he was a starting QB at that level then you know he has the football smarts. Besides Poff staying on staff will be a huge help to him with the learning curve
Old 02-01-19, 01:15 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippIsGreat View Post
Id much rather have a division 1 college quarterback who played for Bo Pelini with no experience coaching, over a guy who never played football after high school and has been coaching for 10 years. This is a guy the kids can connect with, and if he was a starting QB at that level then you know he has the football smarts. Besides Poff staying on staff will be a huge help to him with the learning curve
That sounds good but you can't always go by having played in college or even the NFL. Even college players have to be a student of the game from more aspects than just their position to be effective as a Head Coach. We have had several NFL & College players at Head Coaching positions in the GWOC that had terrible win/loss records and are no longer around.
Old 02-01-19, 07:36 AM
All Ohio

NewOldBlood is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TippIsGreat View Post
I don't know who the other candidates were and maybe Davis was the best candidate, but there is A LOT more to being a head coach than X's and O's. Like I said, this could be a great story or a train wreck. I hope it works out great. I have enjoyed following the success of Madison the last several years after decades of futility, but anybody who follows football knows for every Sean Mcvay there are a dozen Dave Shula's that people take a chance on that don't work out. And I agree 100% that he will connect with kids, that's why every high school football team should have young coaches on the staff. The question is can a 25 year old coach with almost no experience connect with his staff, the community, parents, the administrators, the guys in the pee wee program, teachers, etc...

I have a good friend who took over his Alma mater when he was 25-26 years old and it worked out well. The biggest difference was he took over a program with no where to go but up. The opportunity for failure here is very high considering Madison is coming off it's best seasons in school history and losing a ton of talent. I'm not saying the cupboard is bare, but they won't have what they've had the last several years.
Old 02-01-19, 07:38 AM
All Ohio

dograt is on a distinguished road
Poff said he would stay as an assistant if the new coach wanted him. This hire might be a way to keep Poff around. young coach, but with experience on the staff.
Old 02-01-19, 09:24 AM
Junior Varsity

SWPicker is on a distinguished road
Davis is what the kids, coaches, and community wanted for the job. I think there is an abundancy of trust for him because he was part of the staff last year, he's always lived in Madison, and a lot of people know him very well. In my opinion, that's better than hiring someone that has no relationship with the community just because he has a little coaching experience and he's 10 years older than Davis.

In the words of the late great Aaliyah: "Age Aint Nothin' but a Number"
Old 02-01-19, 09:36 AM
All Region

Spartan119 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWPicker View Post
Davis is what the kids, coaches, and community wanted for the job. I think there is an abundancy of trust for him because he was part of the staff last year, he's always lived in Madison, and a lot of people know him very well. In my opinion, that's better than hiring someone that has no relationship with the community just because he has a little coaching experience and he's 10 years older than Davis.

In the words of the late great Aaliyah: "Age Aint Nothin' but a Number"
Do you think if he has success he will stick around? Poff was a local guy who is a full time AK steel guy. You got a 25 year old played D1 already a head coach you know heís thinking 3 years Iím on staff at a major D1 5 years Iím the OC. Yes heís a local kid but he never played for Madison Iím sure they could have used his help 6 years ago too. My 2 cents. But good luck kid. Your no doubt on the fast track to a good career
Old 02-01-19, 09:42 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan119 View Post
Do you think if he has success he will stick around? Poff was a local guy who is a full time AK steel guy. You got a 25 year old played D1 already a head coach you know heís thinking 3 years Iím on staff at a major D1 5 years Iím the OC. Yes heís a local kid but he never played for Madison Iím sure they could have used his help 6 years ago too. My 2 cents. But good luck kid. Your no doubt on the fast track to a good career
Guess we'll see how it plays out. Definitely a great start for his resume.
Old 02-01-19, 09:47 AM
Freshman

Dark is on a distinguished road
If Ricky can be a Div 1 quarterback under Bo Pelini and President Jim Tressel and take control of his offense like he did against West Virginia in front of 60,000 people back in 2016 (for example).... then I think that is a good indicator that the smarts and leadership are there to coach a Division 5 SWBL team. He has playing experience, he has played under some of the best coaches, and I hear he is great with the kids.

Young? Yes. But I personally do not believe that plays any factor in being a successful coach.

Good luck to Coach Davis and the Madison Mohawks as they enter their 2019 season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-19, 09:55 AM
Junior Varsity

Who's in at Carlisle?
Old 02-01-19, 11:59 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWPicker View Post
Who's in at Carlisle?
Ricky Davis carlisle sweetened the pot. Will Madison counter?
Old 02-01-19, 12:31 PM
All District

Groundhog Day is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Not even close. Job has been offered and accepted and his name is not Davis. Assume waiting to iron out some things. Don't ask who but should be known soon.
Old 02-01-19, 12:33 PM
Freshman

Dark is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Sorry, but can you rephrase that. Iím confused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-19, 01:55 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog Day View Post
Not even close. Job has been offered and accepted and his name is not Davis. Assume waiting to iron out some things. Don't ask who but should be known soon.
Did they stay in house or go outside the district?
Old 02-01-19, 03:36 PM
All District

Groundhog Day is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Did they stay in house or go outside the district?
As of right now outside unless something happens.
Old 02-02-19, 05:40 PM
All American

alk4474 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballboy000 View Post
Generally speaking yes but there are exceptions to every rule. Joel Derge took over Tipp at age 25 and did a very good job as HC including 2 playoffs in 4 years. He did have 7 years experience as an assistant and OC though. Randy Kerns the new Fairborn HC became a head coach 4-5 years ago at around 27-28 years old I believe & took a team to the playoffs two years ago. Madison's hire is no doubt a pretty stiff blow to the ego of the other 21 applicants though, I would imagine.
School board shouldnít allow this he is to young. Can risk a coach sleeping with a student. Iím not say that he would but but 25 is to young