Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #91  
Old 01-23-19, 10:32 PM
StateChampion2012 StateChampion2012 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 04-14-17
Location: Coldwater
Posts: 2,114
StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Is their any other candidates if Schneider doesn't take this job and ends up elsewhere like at Miamisburg?
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 01-24-19, 06:21 AM
Bad_Bengal Bad_Bengal is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 12-05-18
Posts: 8
Bad_Bengal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matuszak View Post
This information came from a from a member of the Versailles Athletic Boosters.
After going through two rounds of interviews , Gecewich was offered the job and he then declined. Also the two other finalists declined as well.
Back to square 1.
This type of stuff just grinds my gears. If you don't take the job when its offered to you, why apply in the first place? You're only wasting everyone's time.

Yes, I know that there are some who do this just to get a raise at their current school with the threat of leaving. I think those coaches should be blacklisted and anytime they put in an application it should be thrown in the trash.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 01-24-19, 06:44 AM
Off_Tackle08
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Bengal View Post
This type of stuff just grinds my gears. If you don't take the job when its offered to you, why apply in the first place? You're only wasting everyone's time.

Yes, I know that there are some who do this just to get a raise at their current school with the threat of leaving. I think those coaches should be blacklisted and anytime they put in an application it should be thrown in the trash.
Or they money did not end up working out... the districts willingness to get other coaches in the building... or simply some non-negotiables were not met when the dust settled. Issues like all football players being in a weights or the same weights class, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 01-24-19, 06:46 AM
queencitybuckeye queencitybuckeye is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-12-09
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 4,685
queencitybuckeye will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Bengal View Post
This type of stuff just grinds my gears. If you don't take the job when its offered to you, why apply in the first place?
Because all jobs come with conditions from both employer and prospective employee that one side or the other can't live with and a meeting of the minds can't be achieved?
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 01-24-19, 04:53 PM
Ballboy000 Ballboy000 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-21-15
Posts: 511
Ballboy000 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Bengal View Post
This type of stuff just grinds my gears. If you don't take the job when its offered to you, why apply in the first place? You're only wasting everyone's time.
The coaches applying do not know what they are being offered in the package until after they receive the offer & negotiate. Pay scales & coaching stipends are not the same in all districts & there are a lot of other details that can be included in offers like weight room stipends, number of paid assistants, additional coaching stipends in the winter or spring seasons in other sports etc;.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 01-24-19, 08:03 PM
OCLWarrior OCLWarrior is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 02-15-18
Posts: 108
OCLWarrior is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matuszak View Post
This information came from a from a member of the Versailles Athletic Boosters.
After going through two rounds of interviews , Gecewich was offered the job and he then declined. Also the two other finalists declined as well.
Back to square 1.
Why would three people apply, go through interviews and then decline the job when offered? What a waste of time and effort!

Last edited by OCLWarrior; 01-24-19 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Word placement
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 01-24-19, 11:00 PM
Barbershoptalk Barbershoptalk is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 01-24-19
Posts: 39
Barbershoptalk is on a distinguished road
I think they need a younger guy that will stay in the community for years to come. I think it’s going to take time and energy to get Versailles back to where they used to be. We’ll see.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 01-24-19, 11:16 PM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 8,224
thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCLWarrior View Post
Why would three people apply, go through interviews and then decline the job when offered? What a waste of time and effort!
Maybe at the time they apply and interview they dont fully know the specifics around the full time employment that they would need to gain if they dont live close enough. They may be interested, go in for an interview and ask questions and find that maybe there isnt a teaching job for them, or if they dont teach maybe they research employment opps around the area and found maybe it wasn't what they wish.

Plus, it is tough to leave where you are. I knew of a coach who basically accepted for a weekend a coaching job that would have paid him enough just as a coach and not even have to teach and he was interested, but just didnt want to leave after more thought.
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 01-25-19, 07:26 AM
OCLWarrior OCLWarrior is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 02-15-18
Posts: 108
OCLWarrior is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Maybe at the time they apply and interview they dont fully know the specifics around the full time employment that they would need to gain if they dont live close enough. They may be interested, go in for an interview and ask questions and find that maybe there isnt a teaching job for them, or if they dont teach maybe they research employment opps around the area and found maybe it wasn't what they wish.

Plus, it is tough to leave where you are. I knew of a coach who basically accepted for a weekend a coaching job that would have paid him enough just as a coach and not even have to teach and he was interested, but just didnt want to leave after more thought.
That's the whole point of the interview process. They had to interview at least three people. They could have said at any time of the interview that they were not interested if they heard any thing that they did not like. Three men strung Versailles along with no REAL intention of taking the job. With low unemployment, potential workers will not have the class and decency to cancel interviews or no shows when hired.
I agree with previous poster who said these candidates should be blackballed from future job openings.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 01-25-19, 07:45 AM
dograt dograt is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 09-29-03
Location: Dayton
Posts: 735
dograt is on a distinguished road
blackballed? What a crock
the point of the interview process is for both parties to figure out it's a good match. Just because it takes one longer to make their decision than the other doesn't invalidate the process.
If the coach was sure before the school does the school have to hire him? of course not, that is ridiculous. And if the school knows who they want before the coach is certain it is the same.
Reply With Quote
  #101  
Old 01-25-19, 08:06 AM
bigkat bigkat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-06-14
Posts: 3,719
bigkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCLWarrior View Post
That's the whole point of the interview process. They had to interview at least three people. They could have said at any time of the interview that they were not interested if they heard any thing that they did not like. Three men strung Versailles along with no REAL intention of taking the job. With low unemployment, potential workers will not have the class and decency to cancel interviews or no shows when hired.
I agree with previous poster who said these candidates should be blackballed from future job openings.
so if you have a opportunity to go get another job, do you agree to it before you know ALL the specifics to the job? there is a thing called a interview process
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 01-25-19, 09:35 AM
OCLWarrior OCLWarrior is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 02-15-18
Posts: 108
OCLWarrior is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkat View Post
so if you have a opportunity to go get another job, do you agree to it before you know ALL the specifics to the job? there is a thing called a interview process
Wouldn't the specifics be discussed by BOTH sides during the interviews? I believe that is a thing called the interview process? I don't think the candidates just walked in with a resume, Versailles looked at it and offered them the job.
It does not bode well for Versailles if the top three candidates refused the position. What does that tell you if you are interested in the position? Second thoughts, change of mind, what the hell is going on? How would it make you feel if you were the fourth or fifth choice for the job?
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 01-25-19, 11:31 AM
southpaw69 southpaw69 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-27-08
Posts: 570
southpaw69 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCLWarrior View Post
Wouldn't the specifics be discussed by BOTH sides during the interviews? I believe that is a thing called the interview process? I don't think the candidates just walked in with a resume, Versailles looked at it and offered them the job.
It does not bode well for Versailles if the top three candidates refused the position. What does that tell you if you are interested in the position? Second thoughts, change of mind, what the hell is going on? How would it make you feel if you were the fourth or fifth choice for the job?
It tells me that they were unable to offer what they needed/wanted. Teaching job, years of experience, admin position, paid coaches, supplemental position(s). This is not rocket science. You may be offered a job that is not enough to justify a move. Sometimes you can't leave a job to go to another job that will drastically change your income, benefits, etc. If I was the fourth or fifth choice and the job was eventually offered to me and it fit my needs, I would take it and show them they got what they were looking for.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 01-25-19, 12:12 PM
RollingTrain RollingTrain is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 01-15-16
Posts: 89
RollingTrain is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw69 View Post
It tells me that they were unable to offer what they needed/wanted. Teaching job, years of experience, admin position, paid coaches, supplemental position(s). This is not rocket science. You may be offered a job that is not enough to justify a move. Sometimes you can't leave a job to go to another job that will drastically change your income, benefits, etc. If I was the fourth or fifth choice and the job was eventually offered to me and it fit my needs, I would take it and show them they got what they were looking for.
I would agree with this....that being said, you had to know Gecewich needed the keys to the village coming into this. I am surprised it got to the point of an offer. If it was close, I'd find a way to make it work.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 01-25-19, 12:43 PM
southpaw69 southpaw69 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-27-08
Posts: 570
southpaw69 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingTrain View Post
I would agree with this....that being said, you had to know Gecewich needed the keys to the village coming into this. I am surprised it got to the point of an offer. If it was close, I'd find a way to make it work.
I agree but they may have made the offer that they felt they were capable of making and it just wasn't enough. Why wouldn't they at least try to get their number 1? They hoped he would accept but he didn't for what ever reason(s). Smaller districts have less options to offer. Smaller staff than larger schools often means less opportunities and options. In the end it is an offer. They can accept or deny.
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 01-25-19, 12:46 PM
Ballboy000 Ballboy000 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-21-15
Posts: 511
Ballboy000 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw69 View Post
It tells me that they were unable to offer what they needed/wanted. Teaching job, years of experience, admin position, paid coaches, supplemental position(s). This is not rocket science. You may be offered a job that is not enough to justify a move. Sometimes you can't leave a job to go to another job that will drastically change your income, benefits, etc. If I was the fourth or fifth choice and the job was eventually offered to me and it fit my needs, I would take it and show them they got what they were looking for.
That is how it works. They interview the coaches then call back the 2 or 3 they are interested in for Round 2. That is where the job details are discussed more in depth as far as offers go. The coach that is offered does not necessarily know the complete details of the offer until it is made. That is when negotiations start, "if" there is any room for negotiations to be had.
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 01-25-19, 02:11 PM
bigkat bigkat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-06-14
Posts: 3,719
bigkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingTrain View Post
I would agree with this....that being said, you had to know Gecewich needed the keys to the village coming into this. I am surprised it got to the point of an offer. If it was close, I'd find a way to make it work.
does anybody have info on Gecewich? I know that he was a assistant at one time at Marion Local, what is his background? is he from this area?
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 01-25-19, 02:16 PM
queencitybuckeye queencitybuckeye is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-12-09
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 4,685
queencitybuckeye will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkat View Post
does anybody have info on Gecewich? I know that he was a assistant at one time at Marion Local, what is his background? is he from this area?
Played high school ball for Euclid, played club rugby at Bowling Green.
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 01-25-19, 03:07 PM
bigkat bigkat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-06-14
Posts: 3,719
bigkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by queencitybuckeye View Post
Played high school ball for Euclid, played club rugby at Bowling Green.
is he a HC at Dublin Jerome? wasn't he up for another job in this area in the past couple of years
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 01-26-19, 11:47 AM
fbrox fbrox is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 08-23-10
Posts: 647
fbrox is on a distinguished road
Just hire Lance Schneider. He has learned his lesson, paid a high price and is ready to move forward. If you hire him you will have the best X and O coach in a conference filled with great coaches. You will have a guy who will be grateful for a second chance and will reward it with undying loyalty to the entire community. You will get a great coaching staff, including his father, a legendary coach. Finally you will get wins that will turn into state titles. This truly is a no brainer.
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 01-26-19, 01:12 PM
Ballboy000 Ballboy000 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-21-15
Posts: 511
Ballboy000 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrox View Post
Just hire Lance Schneider. He has learned his lesson, paid a high price and is ready to move forward. If you hire him you will have the best X and O coach in a conference filled with great coaches. You will have a guy who will be grateful for a second chance and will reward it with undying loyalty to the entire community. You will get a great coaching staff, including his father, a legendary coach. Finally you will get wins that will turn into state titles. This truly is a no brainer.
Agree completely. Lance Schneider is going to make some school & community very happy.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 01-26-19, 02:16 PM
serpico serpico is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-22-07
Posts: 2,660
serpico will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkat View Post
is he a HC at Dublin Jerome? wasn't he up for another job in this area in the past couple of years
Yes. No.
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 01-26-19, 04:02 PM
bigkat bigkat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-06-14
Posts: 3,719
bigkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Bengal View Post
This type of stuff just grinds my gears. If you don't take the job when its offered to you, why apply in the first place? You're only wasting everyone's time.

Yes, I know that there are some who do this just to get a raise at their current school with the threat of leaving. I think those coaches should be blacklisted and anytime they put in an application it should be thrown in the trash.
this isn't college....I doubt that anybody gets a raise from their current school if they check out another school
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 01-26-19, 04:08 PM
bigkat bigkat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-06-14
Posts: 3,719
bigkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrox View Post
Just hire Lance Schneider. He has learned his lesson, paid a high price and is ready to move forward. If you hire him you will have the best X and O coach in a conference filled with great coaches. You will have a guy who will be grateful for a second chance and will reward it with undying loyalty to the entire community. You will get a great coaching staff, including his father, a legendary coach. Finally you will get wins that will turn into state titles. This truly is a no brainer.
best X and O coach in the conference...really?
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 01-26-19, 04:11 PM
nwwarrior09 nwwarrior09 is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-11-09
Location: Springfield/Dayton
Posts: 7,072
nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
There's not a whole lot somebody may be able to leverage out of their current employer for themselves by applying at other places. Maybe you could get yourself an additional supplemental contract (MS track, weight room supervisor, etc.) or one less instructional class period. That's about it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 01-27-19, 05:50 AM
Stirred not Shaken Stirred not Shaken is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-05-14
Posts: 3,829
Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkat View Post
this isn't college....I doubt that anybody gets a raise from their current school if they check out another school
Maybe not but if a coach is highly thought of ( and he starts to look around ) he can parlay his success into a better paying job i.e. an administrative role.
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 01-27-19, 06:03 AM
Stirred not Shaken Stirred not Shaken is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-05-14
Posts: 3,829
Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingTrain View Post
I would agree with this....that being said, you had to know Gecewich needed the keys to the village coming into this. I am surprised it got to the point of an offer. If it was close, I'd find a way to make it work.
I heard FWIW Gecewich demands were more than what Versailles was willing to fulfill. However I agree with you, it comes down to how badly do you want to win, want a coach to come in on your terms or willing to bend those terms to hire a guy you really think can make a difference as far wins and losses. Versailles IMO would be a great job, the talent is their to succeed immediately, surprised the Tigers are having a hard time finding a coach willing to take the position.

Last edited by Stirred not Shaken; 01-27-19 at 06:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 01-27-19, 10:57 PM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 8,224
thavoice is on a distinguished road
I think most people with any bit of age to them has interviewed for a job, been offered and then changed their mind from the time and not accepted the job.
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 01-28-19, 07:11 AM
OCLWarrior OCLWarrior is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 02-15-18
Posts: 108
OCLWarrior is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
I think most people with any bit of age to them has interviewed for a job, been offered and then changed their mind from the time and not accepted the job.
Yeah, but three candidates in a row???
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 01-29-19, 08:02 AM
1995 1995 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 06-30-08
Posts: 236
1995 is on a distinguished road
Gecewich is one of those guys who likes to see his name out there.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Barberton: A Coaching Legacy frecriss Barberton Magics 18 11-28-18 11:02 AM
Who would you like to see get the Canton McKinley Boys Head Basketball Position??? IUDOGS Boys Basketball 270 10-17-18 05:38 AM
Milton-Union head coach, Mark Lane, steps down. BlessEmAll Football 22 12-19-17 07:26 PM
Fairfield High School Head Coach to coach in Under Armor All American football game. graceunder Football 0 11-29-17 02:11 PM
Looking For Head Coach QueenCityLegends Baseball 2 11-17-16 09:43 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz