Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-14-19, 05:32 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
frs is on the ball. If they genuinely intend to interview 30 candidates they are directionless and lost. If so, we may not hear until the summer. Hire Whattley and give him the job if he wants it.
Old 01-14-19, 06:38 PM
Varsity

Information is on a distinguished road
Wattley was not a good coach at Akron Saint Vincent-Saint Mary. He made poor decisions for assistants and hired Jeff Dallas. Jeff Dallas was a poison to the program. He chased away good assistants for the Irish. The players were more loyal to their position coaches than they were to Wattley. Bad move to hire Wattley if you ask the former Irish players that played for him.
Old 01-14-19, 07:54 PM
Junior Varsity

Browns12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Information View Post
Wattley was not a good coach at Akron Saint Vincent-Saint Mary. He made poor decisions for assistants and hired Jeff Dallas. Jeff Dallas was a poison to the program. He chased away good assistants for the Irish. The players were more loyal to their position coaches than they were to Wattley. Bad move to hire Wattley if you ask the former Irish players that played for him.

This is not the first time I’ve heard Wattley destroyed the program with the hire of Dallas... Also heard players couldn’t stand him because he never put effort into getting to know his players, just like you said players would play for their position coaches rather than for him.
Old 01-14-19, 08:39 PM
All Region

Football Fan 1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browns12 View Post
This is not the first time I’ve heard Wattley destroyed the program with the hire of Dallas... Also heard players couldn’t stand him because he never put effort into getting to know his players, just like you said players would play for their position coaches rather than for him.
Key word in your statement is “heard”. Coach Wattley was very well respected by his players and they played very hard for him when he was the defensive coordinator and then the head coach. In case you missed it...in his last season as head coach of the Irish he led the team to the state semi finals.

Last year the University of Akron had seven St V players on scholarship. If these players didn’t like Coach Wattley there is no way he would ever have been hired. Quite honestly it was these players who pushed hard to have him hired.

Coach Watt still keeps in touch with many of his former players...including the two who won a national championship and the 2019 Rose Bowl while at Ohio State.
Old 01-14-19, 08:46 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football Fan 1 View Post
Key word in your statement is “heard”. Coach Wattley was very well respected by his players and they played very hard for him when he was the defensive coordinator and then the head coach. In case you missed it...in his last season as head coach of the Irish he led the team to the state semi finals.

Last year the University of Akron had seven St V players on scholarship. If these players didn’t like Coach Wattley there is no way he would ever have been hired. Quite honestly it was these players who pushed hard to have him hired.

Coach Watt still keeps in touch with many of his former players...including the two who won a national championship and the 2019 Rose Bowl while at Ohio State.

The guy above “Information” said he played for Wattley and it was the apposite. Everyone had their own opinions I guess.
Old 01-14-19, 08:59 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Hmmm, I have asked and gotten many good reviews. Wattley followed a legend, Boarman, at SVSM. I suspect that Boarman's connections to Dallas resulted in Wattley ending up with Dallas. Many of Wattley's issues at SVSM were created by unreasonable expectations and the emergence of Hoban. Copley is not likely to find a better resume and I would hope Wattley can find another college position.

Kind of interesting that neither Copley or SVSM have been as successful since Boarman left both schools.
Old 01-14-19, 10:19 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Hmmm, I have asked and gotten many good reviews. Wattley followed a legend, Boarman, at SVSM. I suspect that Boarman's connections to Dallas resulted in Wattley ending up with Dallas. Many of Wattley's issues at SVSM were created by unreasonable expectations and the emergence of Hoban. Copley is not likely to find a better resume and I would hope Wattley can find another college position.

Kind of interesting that neither Copley or SVSM have been as successful since Boarman left both schools.

Copley has been in the playoffs since Boarman left?
Old 01-14-19, 10:40 PM
All American

Bluestreakoffice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browns12 View Post
Copley has been in the playoffs since Boarman left?
I know they were 9 and 1 in 2010 and in the playoffs
Old 01-14-19, 10:42 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreakoffice View Post
I know they were 9 and 1 in 2010 and in the playoffs

I just think it’s crazy with the amount of talent in the area that Copley doesn’t win all the time!! Must get a coach there that will keep players at Copley!!
Old 01-15-19, 01:51 AM
All Ohio

Hitnrun is on a distinguished road
There has been decent talent in the past, but never much depth at Copley. This past season was a disaster, and the cupboard has been left pretty bare for the foreseeable future. No middle school or freshman teams for first time in years. Plus, the varsity/jv roster numbers have been progressively shrinking of late. The fact is, fewer and fewer kids are simply losing interest in playing football in Copley. That has been a national trend over the past decade, but has hit Copley even harder. Small roster size is one thing, but the talent that is currently there is way below par. Whoever gets the HC job will have their work cut out, initially simply by drumming up football interest at the schools. Many of the Copley parents just don't want their kids playing football when there are other alternative sorts and or activities available to them. That requires a complete culture change, which I'm not convinced will occur in the immediate future. It really isn't about all this perceived talent getting up and leaving the community. Sure a few great kids have moved on, but the majority were St. Hilary athletes who went on to the Hoban and St. V programs. Those kids were never staying in Copley anyway. The challenge is getting those Copley athletes who stay in the school district to become interested in football.
Old 01-15-19, 07:39 AM
Varsity

Quote:

The same people that you asked will think Willie McGee is a competent Athletic Director. He has no idea what he is doing.
Old 01-15-19, 07:44 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football Fan 1 View Post

He was a better position coach than head coach. You know it.
Old 01-15-19, 08:32 AM
All District

frs1930 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
This couldn't be further from the truth. The players at SVSM openly discuss their love for Marcus. Dan Boarman strongly recommended him for the head coach position and only retired because they said they would promote Marcus.

I'll take Coach Boarman's opinion over "Information's" any day.
Old 01-15-19, 09:01 AM
Freshman

JQU is on a distinguished road
Jason Hall will be the next head coach
Old 01-15-19, 09:21 AM
All Region

Quote:
He was a better position coach than head coach. You know it.
You must have missed the 2016 season when he had to lead the team into Steubenville (Big Red finished the regular season 9-1 and played in the state championship game) with the season on the line and win a game where no one does to get into the playoffs.

You must have missed the 2017 season as well where he again took his team on the road in week 9 and beat Massillon to get in the playoffs and oh by the way the team then won three straight playoff games to get to the state semi finals.

You are correct....he was a heck of a position coach as well.
Old 01-15-19, 11:30 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
The same people that you asked will think Willie McGee is a competent Athletic Director. He has no idea what he is doing.
No, they won't because I won't ask or engage in rumor and innuendo. I just have friendly conversations on occasion. I don't have the desire to be the Adam Schefter of high school football like some.

Seems to me the sports programs at SVSM are doing just fine.
Old 01-15-19, 11:44 AM
All Yappi

OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
No, they won't because I won't ask or engage in rumor and innuendo. I just have friendly conversations on occasion. I don't have the desire to be the Adam Schefter of high school football like some.

Seems to me the sports programs at SVSM are doing just fine.
+1

Schefter is trash. We need to all do our part to keep the lies of the fake news media away from yappi.com
Old 01-15-19, 01:25 PM
All Region

Quote:
Are we talking about the same Willie McGee that hired Harry Lester to be it's wrestling coach in 2016? 4 time state champion....10 years with team USA and took St V to Columbus in 2018 in the State Duals?

Are we talking about the same Willie McGee that brought longtime woman's basketball coach Edith Spivey (one of the best to ever coach in Ohio) to the girls basketball coaching staff in 2017?

If I were Copley....I'd make a hard run at Coach Wattley. He is a graduate of Copley and is the right person to help turn the program around. He will have multiple opportunities to choose from.
Old 01-15-19, 01:48 PM
Varsity

The whole athletic office for the Irish is a disaster. The local Athletic Directors will tell you themselves. Footballs Fan 1, do you work in the athletic office? I feel like I am responding to McGoober. He is running the Irish athletic programs to the ground. Boys baseball, girls softball, girls basketball, and girls volleyball are weak. All the Irish have is boys basketball. Tell me wise guy, was McGoober a major reason why the Irish are not in the NorthCoast League?
Old 01-15-19, 02:12 PM
All Region

Quote:
The whole athletic office for the Irish is a disaster. The local Athletic Directors will tell you themselves. Footballs Fan 1, do you work in the athletic office? I feel like I am responding to McGoober. He is running the Irish athletic programs to the ground. Boys baseball, girls softball, girls basketball, and girls volleyball are weak. All the Irish have is boys basketball. Tell me wise guy, was McGoober a major reason why the Irish are not in the NorthCoast League?
I do not and your lack of class by name calling will end this conversation. Boys and Girls cross country each finished 2nd in the state in 2018. 2017-18 girls basketball team lost to state champion Gilmour in the regional final (round of 8), 2017-18 wrestling team finished 5th in the state (great coach hired by the AD). I think the Irish have more than boy's basketball...and since you brought that up back to back state championships there as well. Maybe these athletic directors you speak of should look in the mirror. If St V's athletic programs are a disaster (lol)....how would they characterize their own programs?

Good luck to Copley in their coaching search. Being a fan of the Suburban League Copley was once a force to be reckoned with and I hope that happens again for them soon. Will do nothing but help the league.
Old 01-15-19, 02:38 PM
All Ohio

JimmyOhio75 is an unknown quantity at this point
I could be wrong but I don’t think Wattley has a teaching license. Copley is likely looking for a head coach that can double to fill a teaching position at the school. Wattley would be a great hire for sure but if he is not in the building full time that could be one strike against him. Most public schools don’t have the luxury of mountains of cash from Alumni or an effective Booster Club. It is hard to pay a good coach what he is worth at a public school unless you can include his value as a full time teacher in the building.
Old 01-15-19, 02:44 PM
All Yappi

Oh Lord, next we'll start hearing about Ben Malbassa, Sid, Don Seeker and the Four Horseman of the NEO Football apocalypse. This is DB04 all over again.
Old 01-15-19, 02:50 PM
Varsity

Jimmy75, Copley is looking for a professional with an educator licensesure and coaching experience.
Old 01-15-19, 02:50 PM
All Yappi

Thus just in- Willie McGee a top candidate for the Copley football head coaching job!
Old 01-15-19, 02:51 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyOhio75 View Post
I could be wrong but I don’t think Wattley has a teaching license. Copley is likely looking for a head coach that can double to fill a teaching position at the school. Wattley would be a great hire for sure but if he is not in the building full time that could be one strike against him. Most public schools don’t have the luxury of mountains of cash from Alumni or an effective Booster Club. It is hard to pay a good coach what he is worth at a public school unless you can include his value as a full time teacher in the building.
Thanks Jimmy for the relevant info. Good to see you on Yappi.
Old 01-15-19, 05:31 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
How about Ralph Orsini?
Old 01-15-19, 05:42 PM
Junior Varsity

Heard they already got rid of some top tier coaches in the interview process already. They said no to Wattley from SVSM, Gresco from Kenston and Jason Hall. Not sure this new AD at Copley has a clue what he’s doing. We will see what happens in the long hall. Just hope they can get it right this time around!! Go Indians!!
Old 01-15-19, 06:09 PM
All District

PostOrPickScore is on a distinguished road
Here ya go..... They screened 14 coaches not 30. From the screenings they narrowed it to 4 solid candidates. Those interviews are taking place this week. Wattley is likely one of the 4. Copley has virtually no teaching positions available so this situation is somewhat tricky. There is no “budget” per say at most local high schools. The school, by contract, agrees to pay a certain number of coaches, at specified amounts, that are fixed through the teacher contract. The school does not negotiate individual contracts with assistant coaches. Copley has not lost any discernable number of players to other schools. The new AD is very good. I feel confident the new coach will be able to bring an assistant or 2 with him but it is common practice to have a majority of assistant coaches, for a number of sensible reasons, to be from within the district.
Old 01-15-19, 07:19 PM
Varsity

Dan Boarman Jr. would be a better choice than Wattley. He did not apply for the Copley job.
Old 01-15-19, 08:13 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Dan Boarman Jr. would be a better choice than Wattley. He did not apply for the Copley job.
Didn't want the SVSM job. Why would he want Copley?