Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-29-18, 09:29 AM
All Region

Champ Kind is on a distinguished road
Jeremy Powell?
Old 12-29-18, 07:00 PM
All American

the123kidz is on a distinguished road
No, this job will be going to the younger Orsini. Congrats Copley.
Old 12-31-18, 01:28 PM
All Ohio

brian
How about Marcus Wattley? Former Copley player and assistant coach as well as assistant coach and Head Coach at St.VM. Iím not sure who survived the coaching change at Akron (where Wattley was on staff), but perhaps heíd be a candidate for his Alma Mater.
Old 12-31-18, 02:29 PM
All Ohio

JimmyOhio75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
How about Marcus Wattley? Former Copley player and assistant coach as well as assistant coach and Head Coach at St.VM. Iím not sure who survived the coaching change at Akron (where Wattley was on staff), but perhaps heíd be a candidate for his Alma Mater.
Good call. Sounds like a perfect fit.
Old 12-31-18, 04:56 PM
All American

Bluestreakoffice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post

He did not survive the coaching change and is currently looking
Old 01-02-19, 05:25 AM
All District

Copley King is on a distinguished road
He's a good fit for Copley,I'm pretty sure he's use to the politics that would come with the job and would definitely bring something Copley has never had in a head football coach......"Diversity"!!!!!
Old 01-02-19, 09:53 AM
All World

StarstoShine is on a distinguished road
Wattley or Stroud
Old 01-02-19, 11:06 AM
All Ohio

Hitnrun is on a distinguished road
Being a Copley guy, I am aware of the challenges the football program has ahead of it in an attempt to regain some credibility. That being said, I often read here about all of the negative "politics" associated with the program. As a typical Friday night fan, with no dog in the fight, I usually am preoccupied with the on field play, rather than the behind the scenes drama. Totally agree,the program has a variety of problems, w/diversity in the coaching staff being a primary one. How those other issues are framed within the far reaching world of high school politics is something I am not aware of, but would like to hear other's opinions & examples of how politics are used within the Copley football program in a negative way as posted here.
Old 01-02-19, 03:06 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitnrun View Post
Being a Copley guy, I am aware of the challenges the football program has ahead of it in an attempt to regain some credibility. That being said, I often read here about all of the negative "politics" associated with the program. As a typical Friday night fan, with no dog in the fight, I usually am preoccupied with the on field play, rather than the behind the scenes drama. Totally agree,the program has a variety of problems, w/diversity in the coaching staff being a primary one. How those other issues are framed within the far reaching world of high school politics is something I am not aware of, but would like to hear other's opinions & examples of how politics are used within the Copley football program in a negative way as posted here.
No dog in the fight...🤔...Now where did I hear that saying, I like that Quote..... Any way , When I talk about politics I'm mostly talking about the parents of kids that were decent in peewee at a position because the father was the coach and played the kid and forced the kid to be decent or has to email the Head Coach and complain on how there kids should be getting time with another kids that is clearly better then their kids and the Coach to keep the peace let's the kid play and it's clear as crystal the kids no good, I know of many similar situations over the past few year were this has occurred.... And I speak for a fact not fiction, I know of a kid that his parents wouldn't let him consider going to Copley and play because of a similar situation and now that kid is flourishing on another team and he wanted to go to Copley and play...And I don't have a dog in the fight....
Old 01-02-19, 04:07 PM
All Ohio

Wink

Not that hard: "No dog in the fight", simply refers to the fact I never have had any kids play football at Copley, past or present. So, I have no personal axe to grind, nor wood I if my kids decided they wanted to play football there.
Old 01-02-19, 04:46 PM
All District

Quote:
Not that hard: "No dog in the fight", simply refers to the fact I never have had any kids play football at Copley, past or present. So, I have no personal axe to grind, nor wood I if my kids decided they wanted to play football there.
Why so serious... I said that because I always say "I have no dog in the fight"..... And good for you.... I'm a Copley football fan and have been for years..
Old 01-02-19, 06:36 PM
All Ohio

gotcha, thx
Old 01-07-19, 06:54 PM
All Ohio

doubtme is on a distinguished road
Any movement here?
Old 01-09-19, 05:33 PM
Junior Varsity

Browns12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubtme View Post
Any movement here?

Heard they were interviewing today from one of their youth league coaches. He said they have over 30 people they are interviewing
Old 01-10-19, 07:19 AM
All Region

Orrville Man is on a distinguished road
any names
Old 01-10-19, 06:53 PM
All Ohio

smash mouth 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browns12 View Post
Heard they were interviewing today from one of their youth league coaches. He said they have over 30 people they are interviewing
Geez, what a waste of 29 other people's time.
Old 01-10-19, 08:15 PM
All District

Sliver of Hope is on a distinguished road
"I have no dog in the fight." --- Michael Vick.

Yeee-hooo! Howdy-doodee all of y'all! My quarter of input here is simple. Any person placed in charge of an organization that makes decisions based on complaints from a parent because they "feel" their kid should be playing ahead of another that is clearly better, the record of the team will be proof that he should be fired. Pee wee football is exactly what it is. Give me a good running back in the pee wee and even up through freshman football, and you will win 80% of your games. Once you get to JV and varsity, you have to have some balance and have some linemen, or the running back that was so awesome and future Hall of Famer is nothing but a tackling dummy. Any head coach that bows down and plays a kid because he wants to keep the peace, deserves to be fired and will garner no respect from the community...except from the kid's parents who he is playing to keep the peace.

On the other hand, I have also experienced the situation where a parent has sincerely questioned why their son may not get some time, and when it is examined and looked at through the week and through film, it may be an advantage to the team to rest a two-way player for several plays it with a different player that is not getting much time. Coaches are not infallible, well, except me, I have never made a mistake when I was coaching my son in basketball when he was the point guard and the entire offense ran through him and he was the only one allowed to shoot the ball!!!!
Old 01-10-19, 09:33 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orrville Man View Post
any names

Heard they are 100% hiring someone that isnít in house. They want someone who will bring life into the program as an outsider.
Old 01-13-19, 06:49 PM
Junior Varsity

Has anyone else heard anything? Seems to be quiet so far.
Old 01-13-19, 09:32 PM
All District

PostOrPickScore is on a distinguished road
Hearing the interviews Are moving along. Screened in the neighborhood of roughly a dozen.likely to continue this week.
Old 01-13-19, 11:03 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostOrPickScore View Post
Hearing the interviews Are moving along. Screened in the neighborhood of roughly a dozen.likely to continue this week.

Any names out there?
Old 01-13-19, 11:54 PM
All Ohio

Wasn't recently resigned coach C. from Copley an "outsider?" I mean, he was at Kent Roosevelt for more than a few years before taking the Copley job. So that being said, how do you consider if someone is an outsider? You might have a new HC on the way, but as long as the same core group of assistants continue to be a large part of the staff, many of the issues will remain. And since most asst coaches are employed teachers in the system, there isn't any reason to believe they won't remain on staff, unless they choose to leave.
Old 01-14-19, 09:33 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Wasn't recently resigned coach C. from Copley an "outsider?" I mean, he was at Kent Roosevelt for more than a few years before taking the Copley job. So that being said, how do you consider if someone is an outsider? You might have a new HC on the way, but as long as the same core group of assistants continue to be a large part of the staff, many of the issues will remain. And since most asst coaches are employed teachers in the system, there isn't any reason to believe they won't remain on staff, unless they choose to leave.

Wonít the new head coach have say on who he hires even if the assistant coaches are teachers or not?
Old 01-14-19, 11:04 AM
All Ohio

Most assistant coaches have been in the Copley system for years. I do believe the vast majority of those assistants are school staff. Even if a new HC hired was a teacher, there is no guarantee if he wanted to bring any fellow coaches/teachers from outside that they would have any priority in being hired in the district as a teacher. Plenty of other outside coaches in Copley employed in other positions, ie baseball, track, and basketball. But, the football assistants seem to have survived for multiple years, be it good or bad.
Old 01-14-19, 01:31 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Most assistant coaches have been in the Copley system for years. I do believe the vast majority of those assistants are school staff. Even if a new HC hired was a teacher, there is no guarantee if he wanted to bring any fellow coaches/teachers from outside that they would have any priority in being hired in the district as a teacher. Plenty of other outside coaches in Copley employed in other positions, ie baseball, track, and basketball. But, the football assistants seem to have survived for multiple years, be it good or bad.

Thatís very interesting.. idk, I feel like if someone were to get hired as the head coach with give the assistants a chance to interview but the vast majority would be coaches the head coach brings in himself.
Old 01-14-19, 01:38 PM
All American

Quote:
Thatís very interesting.. idk, I feel like if someone were to get hired as the head coach with give the assistants a chance to interview but the vast majority would be coaches the head coach brings in himself.

Most schools would have to have open teaching positions and budget for that...now if they want to coach here and work there then the coaches stipend would come out of the football budget 9 times out of 10..and if they can afford to do it. Most schools football budgets handle coaches pay and some equipment for the year. I am thinking that the Copley budget is at most 10,000. I am basing that on just what I see in comparison to Lake's.
Old 01-14-19, 01:46 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreakoffice View Post
Most schools would have to have open teaching positions and budget for that...now if they want to coach here and work there then the coaches stipend would come out of the football budget 9 times out of 10..and if they can afford to do it. Most schools football budgets handle coaches pay and some equipment for the year. I am thinking that the Copley budget is at most 10,000. I am basing that on just what I see in comparison to Lake's.

Have you heard any names out there who they might go with? Like I said earlier I heard they interviewed over 30 people
Old 01-14-19, 03:35 PM
All Ohio

Not every high school program is a Hoban, St Eds, McKinley, etc, where new coaches more often than not bring the majority of their own guys to make up the staff. Majority of public schools have contract language re employment opportunities outside of teaching in said district. I know of more than a few non school employees, who applied for various coaching vacancies within a district, who were turned down because a teacher in the school also applied, and was given higher priority due to their employment status currently at the school. I have also seen school teachers file grievences with their union if they didn't get a certain coaching job. Most school boards will be ok with hiring an outside the district head coach, & finding a teaching position within the school system for them. But, not so willing to do so for any assistant coaches looking for teaching employment in the district. Last thing a school board wants to deal with is a prolonged battle with a teachers union over who gets an assistant coaching job.
Old 01-14-19, 04:19 PM
All American

Quote:
Have you heard any names out there who they might go with? Like I said earlier I heard they interviewed over 30 people
The only name I have heard is Wattley and that was just in passing....am watching who they hire because we play Copley week 3 again
Old 01-14-19, 04:33 PM
All District

frs1930 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
There is no way they interviewed 30. That is a crazy number and would take days to complete. If Wattley is truly a candidate, I am sure they interveiwed a few candidates to just say they did their due diligence, but Wattleyu is way over-qualified for Copley, so they would be crazy to pass him up.