Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-09-18, 09:44 AM
Junior Varsity

Browns12 is on a distinguished road
Next head coach at Copley???

Who will it be? Any names floating around?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-18, 02:49 PM
Varsity

Publican is on a distinguished road
How about the OC? Nate
Old 12-09-18, 02:51 PM
Junior Varsity

They have talent at Copley.. I donít get what the problem is there
Old 12-09-18, 02:55 PM
All American

the123kidz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browns12 View Post
They have talent at Copley.. I donít get what the problem is there
They would have talent if they could keep it. Many of the talented Copley youth teams of the recent past players are on other teams roosters. Both public and private.
Old 12-09-18, 02:57 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by the123kidz View Post
They would have talent if they could keep it. Many of the talented Copley youth teams of the recent past players are on other teams roosters. Both public and private.

Have to get someone in there that can keep players there!
Old 12-10-18, 11:35 AM
All Ohio

Hitnrun is on a distinguished road
Newsflash, no they don't have much talent at Copley, or even basic numbers of kids needed to run an effective program. No middle school program, declining roster size on both jv and varsity. A youth program who for years was run by non Copley coaches and rosters dominated by out of community kids, who eventually entered their home & or private schools high school programs, leaving few local kids still interested in football to move into the Copley schools program. Again, this was evident last year w/the Copley schools not having either a 7/8th, or freshman football program.This has been years in the making, and it's effect finally made it's way to the high school this past season. Certainly can't speak for recently coach who resigned after 5 years, but I'm sure he could see the writing on the wall also, & it may have had a large role in him resigning.
Old 12-10-18, 07:43 PM
All Ohio

JimmyOhio75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Copley is suffering the same fate as many rural public high schools. Parents refusing to let their kids play football due to concussion concerns. The growth of soccer and other (new) sports such as Lacrosse. And the aforementioned neighborhood kids spurning their local public school in lieu of perceived better programs at private schools.
That being said the teams that Copley plays (Wadsworth,Revere, Highland, etc) are having the same problems so it boils down to building a Copley youth program and gaining support from the community. Copley has a remodeled (relocated) weight room and a decent stadium. There should be interest from experienced coaching candidates that want to build a program.
Old 12-20-18, 06:57 PM
All American

jbica001 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyOhio75 View Post
Copley is suffering the same fate as many rural public high schools. Parents refusing to let their kids play football due to concussion concerns. The growth of soccer and other (new) sports such as Lacrosse. And the aforementioned neighborhood kids spurning their local public school in lieu of perceived better programs at private schools.
That being said the teams that Copley plays (Wadsworth,Revere, Highland, etc) are having the same problems so it boils down to building a Copley youth program and gaining support from the community. Copley has a remodeled (relocated) weight room and a decent stadium. There should be interest from experienced coaching candidates that want to build a program.
Take it from Barberton, the right coach makes a big difference. Gottoís first season- 3 wins, 2nd- 7 wins, 3rd- 8 wins +playoffs, 4th and 5th- 10-0 Suburban Champs x2. Numbers are up across the board and tons of talent in every age group.
Old 12-21-18, 08:55 AM
All Ohio

Barberton and Copley are two completely different sport communities. Barberton has a rich athletic tradition in both football & basketball. Copley kids are increasingly drawn to soccer in the fall, and now Lacrosse is becoming more popular. Guess different families/kids with different passions for different sports. There now is an ever increasing concern by Copley parents about football related injuries, specifically concussions. The youth soccer program exploded within the past 10 years, while the youth football programs in Copley recently have been non productive and poorly attended by Copley kids. This trend shows no sign of slowing down anytime soon. Any new football coach must be committed to creating a quality youth football program initially. The community still attends home games with regularity, but many of the fans are from years past, and just enjoy a traditional Friday night football game. As the number of kids continue to decline, fact are that the future of the football program and its ability to lure a top coach remains a challenge.
Old 12-21-18, 07:33 PM
All District

Sliver of Hope is on a distinguished road
I call BS on the situation at Copley and Barberton being different. 5 years ago, Barberton was a dead football program, losing every game they played in the Suburban League for 3 seasons in a row, I believe. They thought Coach Sharkey would come in there and turn it around because of his last name. Showed a little life, but overall, fail. Gotto got there and brought a different mentality in there and they have never looked back. Winning is contagious in a school and community. Copley is not too far removed from having solid teams that the kids would not bring it back around if the right guy came in there and showed the kids that he cares and that dedication to something other than themselves will do the trick.

I alos don't buy the mentality that kids are foregoing football because of the concussion issue and playing soccer instead. Copley has a winning history in soccer, but they also have it in football. I have heard numbers that say soccer has as many, if not more, concussions than football does, so I don't buy that argument either. The youth soccer programs are exploding, and have been for much more than the last decade. IT is because everyone can play and it gives parents something their kids can do to feel part of a team and run around. Soccer is popular among young kids, but as they grow up, soccer also goes by the way-side.
The biggest thing a coach needs is the support from the school administration, which I do not know if that is there or not.
Old 12-22-18, 06:52 AM
All District

Copley King is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browns12 View Post
They have talent at Copley.. I don’t get what the problem is there
For one thing I know for fact from a parent that sent her son to a private school is Copley has to much politics going on that effects players and parents, plus there is "No" diversity on the coaching staff.... The best football player in Copley goes to Hoban and is considered a super sophomore and five kids on Hobans Championship roster live in Copley.... I truly believe that the coach quit because of the parents and there politics...

Last edited by Copley King; 12-22-18 at 07:07 AM.
Old 12-22-18, 08:44 AM
All Ohio

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Barberton has been successful recently because of their strong youth football program and parent involvement at that level. Gotto is a good coach but he inherited and wealth of talent. Those kids had played together from 3rd grade until seniors and were always winning. Copley was the same way several years ago in their youth program. Coach C was a food hire and coach but the talent dried up and left for greener pastures. Why I don’t know?
Old 12-22-18, 02:44 PM
All Ohio

If all of the studs that live in Copley would have attended Copley they would have been very good. Instead they all went to Hoban and the rest is history. Would Copley have been as dominant as Hoban? No way in hell. The weight program and coaching staff at Hoban are simply better than Copley.
Old 12-22-18, 04:03 PM
All Ohio

brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyOhio75 View Post
If all of the studs that live in Copley would have attended Copley they would have been very good. Instead they all went to Hoban and the rest is history. Would Copley have been as dominant as Hoban? No way in hell. The weight program and coaching staff at Hoban are simply better than Copley.
Not necessarily saying you are incorrect, but what kids that came from the Copley district have been “studs”/impact players at Hoban the past four years? I can’t think of any that did not come through St. Hilary or St. Sebastian. Keep in mind that kids who played for Copley Youth Football and ended up at Hoban (such as Dickerson, Blanchard and Fitzpatrick) actually live in West Akron, not the Copley district.

Just curious, as I’m not certain there are many (if any) “studs” from the Copley district on Hoban’s 2015-18 roster that would have otherwise been at Copley.
Old 12-22-18, 09:03 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Not necessarily saying you are incorrect, but what kids that came from the Copley district have been ďstudsĒ/impact players at Hoban the past four years? I canít think of any that did not come through St. Hilary or St. Sebastian. Keep in mind that kids who played for Copley Youth Football and ended up at Hoban (such as Dickerson, Blanchard and Fitzpatrick) actually live in West Akron, not the Copley district.

Just curious, as Iím not certain there are many (if any) ďstudsĒ from the Copley district on Hobanís 2015-18 roster that would have otherwise been at Copley.
The sophomore LB/RB Damon Ollison and seniors WR/DB Mason Tipon and the kicker Jacob Branham.... Ollison is a "stud" for sure, He started all 15 games as a sophomore at middle linebacker and I do believe he lettered as a freshmen....

Last edited by Copley King; 12-22-18 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-22-18, 09:13 PM
All Ohio

brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copley King View Post
The sophomore LB/RB Ollison and seniors WR/DB Tipon and the kicker Branham for sure...
Tipton came through CYO/St. Hilary and Branham, who lives in West Akron/Firestone district,, came through CYO/St. Sebastian. As I mentioned, I can’t think of a slew of Hoban impact players over the last 4 years that would have been at Copley...
Old 12-22-18, 09:16 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Not necessarily saying you are incorrect, but what kids that came from the Copley district have been ďstudsĒ/impact players at Hoban the past four years? I canít think of any that did not come through St. Hilary or St. Sebastian. Keep in mind that kids who played for Copley Youth Football and ended up at Hoban (such as Dickerson, Blanchard and Fitzpatrick) actually live in West Akron, not the Copley district.

Just curious, as Iím not certain there are many (if any) ďstudsĒ from the Copley district on Hobanís 2015-18 roster that would have otherwise been at Copley.
My bad, I assumed that since Fitzpatrick, Dickerson and Blanchard played in Copley Youth football they actually lived in Copley too. Was unaware that they live in W. Akron. Having watched several Copley games this year they just seem way too small to be taken seriously. There are a few decent sized players but they also have way too many 5í10Ē, 170 lb kids. Need to hit the weight room hard. They did just make a nice upgrade to their weight room at Copley. That might help.
Old 12-22-18, 09:34 PM
All District

Quote:
Tipton came through CYO/St. Hilary and Branham, who lives in West Akron/Firestone district,, came through CYO/St. Sebastian. As I mentioned, I can’t think of a slew of Hoban impact players over the last 4 years that would have been at Copley...
What about the sophomore??? Does he stay in Copley??? His hudl is from Copley middle school...
Old 12-22-18, 09:39 PM
All Ohio

brian
Quote:
What about the sophomore??? Does he stay in Copley???
I have no idea. But thatís one guy in the last 4 years, hardly a significant amount of guys that would have made an enormous impact at Copley, as originally insinuated.
Old 12-22-18, 09:43 PM
All District

I'm a Copley football fan, I just hope whoever gets the coaching job bring some diversity with them on the coaching staff.... There's diversity in the players why not have diversity in the coaching staff and the Copley parents keep the politics out of it...
Old 12-22-18, 09:52 PM
All District

Quote:
I have no idea. But that’s one guy in the last 4 years, hardly a significant amount of guys that would have made an enormous impact at Copley, as originally insinuated.
Ok, maybe you have a point.... I didn't realize the other kids lived in west akron.... You seem to know alot about Copley players but not the SS....��..He must have came after your kid???
Old 12-22-18, 10:33 PM
All Ohio

brian
Quote:
Ok, maybe you have a point.... I didn't realize the other kids lived in west akron.... You seem to know alot about Copley players but not the SS....��..He must have came after your kid???
SS? Ollison? Have seen him play for the last two seasons. He is extremely good.
Old 12-23-18, 10:17 AM
All Ohio

Copley kids from St. Hilary football never had any intention of going to Copley HS unless financial circumstances dictated a move. There have been a few in recent years, but not enough to make any difference with the Copley football program. Regarding the assistant football coaches at the school, most have simply been grandfathered into the staff of the recent head coaches, as many have been there for years. I believe most of the assistant coaches teach in the district, so that might be a reason who they continue to be retained year after year. Agreed, coaching diversity can be a positive thing, but other than girls track at Copley, I don't believe there is much coaching diversity in place.
Old 12-23-18, 11:38 AM
Freshman

HCFootball2010 is on a distinguished road
Copley fan please stay aware of Browns12. He is a troll who people believe he is just trying to get a job!!
Old 12-27-18, 07:48 PM
Freshman

georgegresko is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCFootball2010 View Post
Copley fan please stay aware of Browns12. He is a troll who people believe he is just trying to get a job!!

Iím not sure who Browns12 is but I can surely tell you that itís 100% not me (George Gresko) I was told that someone was posting on my behalf which is odd because they do know a lot about my coaching and playing career. Also, HCFootball2010 if you would please stop posting on Browns12 behalf that would be great. Quit posting on here simulating to be me. Thanks!
Old 12-27-18, 08:15 PM
Varsity

Publican is on a distinguished road
as far as possible coaches go, is the current OC Nate? a possibility.
Old 12-27-18, 08:23 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publican View Post
as far as possible coaches go, is the current OC Nate? a possibility.

Talked to someone yesterday and they said it seems that they will hire someone brand new who knows if that will actually happen
Old 12-27-18, 08:30 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgegresko View Post
Iím not sure who Browns12 is but I can surely tell you that itís 100% not me (George Gresko) I was told that someone was posting on my behalf which is odd because they do know a lot about my coaching and playing career. Also, HCFootball2010 if you would please stop posting on Browns12 behalf that would be great. Quit posting on here simulating to be me. Thanks!

Sorry I do apologize if it comes of as Im posting as you or talking about you Im a north fan through and through and would like to see you get a head coaching job one day i followed your playing and coaching career Great Job on winning states this past season
Old 12-28-18, 06:47 PM
All Ohio

SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
Is Hoban's success the reason for Copley's tough times as of late?
Old 12-28-18, 11:27 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAGuy View Post
Is Hoban's success the reason for Copley's tough times as of late?
From my understanding NO, one kid cant make a team great but I can say the best football player in Copley attends Hoban and anchors the defense as a sophomore and is a pretty good running back....The parents of Copley and the politics that comes with some of them is the reason in my opinion is why the football team is not good....

Last edited by Copley King; 12-29-18 at 06:00 AM.