Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-15-19, 10:32 AM
All Ohio

Ville-ified is on a distinguished road
No idea if Davis as the next coach is true, but he is very familiar with the teams in the league.
Old 01-15-19, 04:14 PM
All Region

warrior333 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQU View Post
Troy Davis will be the new head coach
28 applicants and Davis was not one of them . Top 10 picked last week .
Old 01-15-19, 09:41 PM
Freshman

Dumpster Fire is on a distinguished road
With Sebring having such a tiny team in terms of numbers, could we ever see the OHSAA allowing such students to play at WB if the school decided to drop football?

28 applicants is impressive. What does this job pay with so much interest?
Old 01-15-19, 09:49 PM
All Ohio

Ville-ified is on a distinguished road
I assume Sebring kids who would rather play at WB are part of the reason West Branch has such a high CB number already.
Old 01-15-19, 09:55 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ville-ified View Post
I assume Sebring kids who would rather play at WB are part of the reason West Branch has such a high CB number already.
What is the back story to Sebring having their own district? Iíve read on here that WB has one of the largest geographic school districts in this part of the state. Whenever I have to drive through that way it just seems odd they are separate. Would seem as though many Sebring students live closer to the WB building than many WB students do.

Hope WB finds the right coach. Keep us in the loop.
Old 01-16-19, 04:00 AM
All World

Buckeye Elite is on a distinguished road
This is gaming too long, hurting the kids
Old 01-16-19, 01:54 PM
All Region

3sport is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpster Fire View Post
What is the back story to Sebring having their own district? Iíve read on here that WB has one of the largest geographic school districts in this part of the state. Whenever I have to drive through that way it just seems odd they are separate. Would seem as though many Sebring students live closer to the WB building than many WB students do.

Hope WB finds the right coach. Keep us in the loop.
When WB was established, it simply consolidated the individual schools and communities within the current district lines. Sebring at the time was a different place, and was fine on its own. Times have changed but the loyalists remain and will never support a merger. The struggles of the Sebring football program are nothing new, so it will take something drastic for a merger to be supported.
Old 01-16-19, 04:05 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sport View Post
When WB was established, it simply consolidated the individual schools and communities within the current district lines. Sebring at the time was a different place, and was fine on its own. Times have changed but the loyalists remain and will never support a merger. The struggles of the Sebring football program are nothing new, so it will take something drastic for a merger to be supported.
Just a few stats : Sebring grades 4-12 ,262 students thats a 29 kid avverage . 50% receive free lunches ,11% receive reduced lunches . How they are still open puzzles me .

Last edited by warrior333; 01-16-19 at 04:10 PM. Reason: ..
Old 01-16-19, 05:47 PM
All American

Bluestreakoffice is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I was under the impression that they tried to consolidate Sebring with West Branch in the late 50's...but there were to many fights so they separated the two schools again. I remember being told this back in the late 60's because Lake played Sebring and West Branch in the same seasons...would play West Branch at Sebring's stadium when it was a West Branch home game.
Old 01-16-19, 07:10 PM
All Ohio

westbranchfan
West Branch used to play their home games at Salem high school before Clinton Heacock Stadium was built at its current site. I don't believe WB had ever played games at Sebring stadium.

Its possible when the school district was forming merging Goshen, Damascus, Knox, Beloit and Maple Ridge school districts that they tried to include Sebring, but I had never heard that before. I don't believe west branch was an official school district until the 60s.
Old 01-16-19, 07:23 PM
All Yappi

111411 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by westbranchfan View Post
Its possible when the school district was forming merging Goshen, Damascus, Knox, Beloit and Maple Ridge school districts that they tried to include Sebring, but I had never heard that before. I don't believe west branch was an official school district until the 60s.
That's sounds about right. Many of the areas were part of the Sebring School District. I can recall rumors from when I was in elementary school, in the 60's, though high school, then when my kids were in school, and even now, that Sebring would close and be swallowed up by WB.

When I graduated, in the mid 70's, there were 70+ students in my graduating class. Due to the potteries closing and industry in Alliance either closing or downsizing, Sebring has become a shell of itself. Since my oldest two have graduated, Sebring has drastically changed.

I'm told as long as they can pay their bills, and there's support, it will stay open.
Old 01-16-19, 07:50 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by westbranchfan View Post
West Branch used to play their home games at Salem high school before Clinton Heacock Stadium was built at its current site. I don't believe WB had ever played games at Sebring stadium.

Yes you are correct it was Salem High School..my mistake from my memory..lol. The games were on Saturday night and then when West Branch built their stadium the games were still played on Saturday night.
Old 01-16-19, 08:15 PM
All Yappi

111411 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreakoffice View Post
I was under the impression that they tried to consolidate Sebring with West Branch in the late 50's...but there were to many fights so they separated the two schools again. I remember being told this back in the late 60's because Lake played Sebring and West Branch in the same seasons...would play West Branch at Sebring's stadium when it was a West Branch home game.
I do have some memories of some azz kickins' that Lake put on the Trojans, when the Blue Streaks had Brian Bowers and the other outstanding back. For the life of me, I can't immediately recall his name, and it's on the tip of my tongue.

The Trojans also used to face Louisville, Minerva, and Poland.

Now I feel like I've hijacked this thread.
Old 01-16-19, 09:32 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111411 View Post
I'm told as long as they can pay their bills, and there's support, it will stay open.
Guess common sense goes out the window with some people . One would imagine in the next 10-15 years this topic comes up as this part of Ohio certainly isnít growing.
Old 01-16-19, 10:13 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111411 View Post
I do have some memories of some azz kickins' that Lake put on the Trojans, when the Blue Streaks had Brian Bowers and the other outstanding back. For the life of me, I can't immediately recall his name, and it's on the tip of my tongue.

The Trojans also used to face Louisville, Minerva, and Poland.

Now I feel like I've hijacked this thread.
There were numerous backs....you had Jerry Domer, Gary Bourn, Chuck Bourn, and Scott Bowers...I am pretty sure you saw them all....lol....I did...lol
Old 01-18-19, 06:15 PM
All Region

joelmama is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I think financial issues are coming as class sizes continue to decline. It may be unmanageable financially for them to continue at some time in the next 5-7 years. Just my opinion. I went to Sebring and do not want them to close but it could happen no matter how much some people want to keep it open. The people in charge are good people and are trying hard I hope they succeed.
Old 01-18-19, 06:39 PM
All American

hitme is on a distinguished road
Matt Christopher is another Lake standout.
Old 01-18-19, 07:34 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitme View Post
Matt Christopher is another Lake standout.
He was talking Lake running backs that played against Sebring...Lake and Sebring played 4 times...1967, 68, 69, and 70
Old 01-18-19, 08:17 PM
All American

hitme is on a distinguished road
My mistake.
Old 01-18-19, 09:51 PM
All World

wghfan is on a distinguished road
Interesting to see where Dota goes
Old 01-18-19, 10:07 PM
All District

Damage450 is on a distinguished road
Sebring was supposed to be part of the merger that created West Branch but backed out at the last minute. I read an article about it once a while ago. I don't remember the details but that is why Sebring is completely surrounded by West Branch.
Old 01-23-19, 11:13 PM
All Region

Big day tomorrow committee is to inverview last 4 applicants and select their recombination to the board for approval. Note none of the 4 has the experience or qualifications that Dota has . Hence the proof the school board has no interest in bettering the progam and more interest in finding a puppet. Feel for our Warriors.
Old 01-23-19, 11:22 PM
All World

Buckeye Elite is on a distinguished road
That stinks ^^^
Old 01-24-19, 08:38 AM
Junior Varsity

OneBadOmbre is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior333 View Post
Big day tomorrow committee is to inverview last 4 applicants and select their recombination to the board for approval. Note none of the 4 has the experience or qualifications that Dota has . Hence the proof the school board has no interest in bettering the progam and more interest in finding a puppet. Feel for our Warriors.
First of all... you're wrong. Second... there's three finalists. Third... I know for a fact that a couple of the candidates were head and shoulders better than Dota. Fourth... how do you know how many finalists and their experience, unless someone on the committee has gone off running their mouth about a process that should be confidential.

People in West Branch need to move on! Dota era is over! The list of people who applied is a great group! Bad mouthing a coach before he is even hired is asking for your finalists to reconsider and leave you in the dust. You're all cutting off your nose to spite your face! I know you loved DJ, but it's time to allow a new leader to get you back at the top of the EBC - where you belong!
Old 01-24-19, 12:14 PM
All Region

invader03
Levy issues holding program back

Until West Branch gets community to support new levy money, any coach will struggle to win big at West Branch. The issue pushes good athletes to other programs and is a anchor on the team. Good luck to new coach though.
Old 01-24-19, 01:00 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBadOmbre View Post
First of all... you're wrong. Second... there's three finalists. Third... I know for a fact that a couple of the candidates were head and shoulders better than Dota. Fourth... how do you know how many finalists and their experience, unless someone on the committee has gone off running their mouth about a process that should be confidential.

People in West Branch need to move on! Dota era is over! The list of people who applied is a great group! Bad mouthing a coach before he is even hired is asking for your finalists to reconsider and leave you in the dust. You're all cutting off your nose to spite your face! I know you loved DJ, but it's time to allow a new leader to get you back at the top of the EBC - where you belong!
Ah , well i could ask you how you seem to know there are 3 finalist ? I am totally correct ,there are 4 , only 1 has been a head coach at a smaller div . I wouldn’t be so sure it’s a committee member . You ever think it was one of the applicants . Take a walk through the halls or have dinner at the local diner this is not any new top secret info . Furthermore I was not bad mouthing any new applicant . Let me ask you this , what does it tell you that a new coach will be picked with only having interviewed the applicant twice for a less than an hour ?????

Last edited by warrior333; 01-24-19 at 01:08 PM. Reason: ..
Old 01-24-19, 08:22 PM
Varsity

fridayfootball is on a distinguished road
Who are the finalist?
Old 01-25-19, 09:55 AM
Junior Varsity

OneBadOmbre is on a distinguished road
Warriors333, you seem very angry and dissatisfied with the WB search committee, but why? You seem angry at me for knowing things and you want to know how I know what I know.

Well I know what I do because... well... I am well connected. I am like Tyrrion Lannister in Game of Thrones. I eat, sleep, drink and breathe HS football and I know things... things you clearly do not.

I think you've been on the wrong end of a bad game of telephone. You know, the one where you attach two tin cans with some string and try to make out what the other person says and then you have a laugh about how wrong you were and how bad you misunderstood what the other person said. Yeah!

I can assure you that my source stated that the interview was an hour for round one and bit longer for round two. In my opinion, interviews are overrated. Most of the decision making is done before the interview even begins. The committee conducts them for two reasons - to be able to brag about the talent pool that applied and to follow procedures mandated by the BOE or the contract with the union. Otherwise, this process looks very different and takes less time. If coaches have HC or coordinator experience, you see what they can do, if not, they probably don't belong. References are important as well as who you know on the inside.

I always used the first interview to know what I was getting into. I can tell if it is a good fit for me or not. Some coaches are going to decide that it just isn't a good job for them and decline a second interview. There's a lot of variables in those interviews, but it does not take a three hour interview to get to know a coach and if he is a fit.

I will stick to my earlier comments... the candidate pool was deep and well seasoned. Many guys with HC experience. I think that WB gets a good one out of this. The community just has to give them a chance and give them support.
Old 01-25-19, 11:28 AM
All Region

NBC 1988 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior333 View Post
Ah , well i could ask you how you seem to know there are 3 finalist ? I am totally correct ,there are 4 , only 1 has been a head coach at a smaller div . I wouldnít be so sure itís a committee member . You ever think it was one of the applicants . Take a walk through the halls or have dinner at the local diner this is not any new top secret info . Furthermore I was not bad mouthing any new applicant . Let me ask you this , what does it tell you that a new coach will be picked with only having interviewed the applicant twice for a less than an hour ?????
I know that the Minerva pool of candidates was impressive and I heard the same about Louisville and Marlington. I would think WB will have some good ones to pick from. Now it sounds like Carrollton is in search of a coach too. The wait will be over soon and the kids will have a leader and a vision and that's the most important thing. it's so hard to learn about a candidate and make a decision solely based on a couple of interviews, a lot of homework needs to be done. I hope you guys get a good one and bring the old WB tradition back.
Old 01-25-19, 02:11 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBadOmbre View Post
Warriors333, you seem very angry and dissatisfied with the WB search committee, but why? You seem angry at me for knowing things and you want to know how I know what I know.

Well I know what I do because... well... I am well connected. I am like Tyrrion Lannister in Game of Thrones. I eat, sleep, drink and breathe HS football and I know things... things you clearly do not.

I think you've been on the wrong end of a bad game of telephone. You know, the one where you attach two tin cans with some string and try to make out what the other person says and then you have a laugh about how wrong you were and how bad you misunderstood what the other person said. Yeah!

I can assure you that my source stated that the interview was an hour for round one and bit longer for round two. In my opinion, interviews are overrated. Most of the decision making is done before the interview even begins. The committee conducts them for two reasons - to be able to brag about the talent pool that applied and to follow procedures mandated by the BOE or the contract with the union. Otherwise, this process looks very different and takes less time. If coaches have HC or coordinator experience, you see what they can do, if not, they probably don't belong. References are important as well as who you know on the inside.

I always used the first interview to know what I was getting into. I can tell if it is a good fit for me or not. Some coaches are going to decide that it just isn't a good job for them and decline a second interview. There's a lot of variables in those interviews, but it does not take a three hour interview to get to know a coach and if he is a fit.

I will stick to my earlier comments... the candidate pool was deep and well seasoned. Many guys with HC experience. I think that WB gets a good one out of this. The community just has to give them a chance and give them support.
I’m not angry at all , disappointed ,disgusted sure as are many WB players and fans . I guess we can agree to disagree with the committee and the process .
It’s my experience You hire a Burger king worker after a second interview. Not an Head football coach whose single most important responsibility is to shape the minds of our youth . Most will agree that a good coach / leader has more influence on the players they coach than the parents of the children they are coaching . So if the committee feels 2 interviews are sufficient time spent to decide the future of the WB program ,in my mind the youth and fans of our program are being run over by their own missing buses . Once again opinions vary .

Last edited by warrior333; 01-25-19 at 05:06 PM. Reason: .