Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-02-19, 05:59 PM
Freshman

Man of Faith is on a distinguished road
Any idea on kickers for 2019?
Old 02-02-19, 09:15 PM
All Ohio

bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
Why in the world is Ed's playing week 1 vs. Mentor on a Thursday night??? Makes no sense to me.
Old 02-04-19, 09:04 AM
All World

lc5397 is on a distinguished road
I don't see the big deal either way. As the first game of the year, you have the whole summer to get ready for that game, so a shortened week for game prep isn't really an issue. Then you get an extra day (or two if you're playing Saturday Week 2) on the backside. I assume that's going to be a TV game for one of the local cable stations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmk1 View Post
Why in the world is Ed's playing week 1 vs. Mentor on a Thursday night??? Makes no sense to me.
Old 02-04-19, 11:06 AM
Freshman

EdsFan82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man of Faith View Post
Pappas is fantastic and it is good to hear people say how great he is because that guy knows the game inside and out. That Championship was not won without his game plan.
Completely agree... He really impressed me a ton this fall. Made some adjustments after the slow start to the season then got things rolling. That defense was legit and he was the mastermind behind it all.
Old 02-04-19, 05:28 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc5397 View Post
I don't see the big deal either way. As the first game of the year, you have the whole summer to get ready for that game, so a shortened week for game prep isn't really an issue. Then you get an extra day (or two if you're playing Saturday Week 2) on the backside. I assume that's going to be a TV game for one of the local cable stations.
In the grand scheme of things, it isn't a huge deal. But I come from Erie every week (2 hours, 1 way). So for me it is obviously much nicer when it's on a Friday vs. a Thursday. I will be dragging some on Friday at work. That part blows. And I'm hoping there is a great game on Friday within 2 hours that Friday, so I will have to come back again less than 24 hours later. Not complaining, but Friday and Saturdays just work out so much better for me. But because I love it, I will gut it out and have a great time watching some great football!! Hopefully that explains why I asked why the game is on Thursday. Which by the way, I have not read anyone give a reason for the Thursday vs. Friday for this game?? Curious more than anything.
Old 02-04-19, 09:39 PM
All World

eaglepride is on a distinguished road
You are truly dedicated to the high school football scene! Very impressive
Old 02-04-19, 10:13 PM
Junior Varsity

sidelineman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It's been a thing around here to highlight big games on Thursday, but normally it's the smaller big games not marquee ones like this. I also like the Friday night games.
Old 02-05-19, 04:06 PM
Freshman

It's becoming a trend nationally for HS teams to open the Thursday before Labor Day. I'm guessing largely due to the added day or two it gives you going into week two.

That said, to start on that Thursday before labor day this year would be one week later than the season started last fall. Could remove an off week of rest during the year if going that route I'd assume.
Old 02-05-19, 07:01 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglepride View Post
You are truly dedicated to the high school football scene! Very impressive
Are you kidding me?? It's my number 1 passion. I Love Ohio HS football. Once all the schedules are out, I do a planner with every game of interest week by week for all 10 weeks. Then each week I pick out the best games and go every Friday and sometimes Friday and Saturday. 2 years ago I went to a week 3 Ohio HS game Friday night. Then weeks 11-14 I go to a Friday playoff game. And some Saturday playoff games. Then week 15 to the State Finals. I really loved my weekend in Canton last year. Last year was an awesome year. Week 1 I saw Eds at Mentor on Friday, then came back Saturday and saw Hoban vs. Ignatius. I saw Berea beat Olmstead Falls like 70-55. Buzcinski and the Berea offense was a beast! I got to see the Girard QB Mark Waid play. This list could go on. I'll go anywhere within 2-2 1/2 hours. I also miss having a playoff game at Infocision. That was awesome. 2 years ago I went to a week 3 Ohio HS game Friday night at Byers. (Ignatius). Then drove that night to Toledo and spent the night. Got up early and went to Ann Arbor and watched Michigan play Air Force. Then drove quickly from Ann Arbor to Bedford HS and watched St. Eds play Elder. It was an awesome weekend of ball. I am already pumped to see all the schedules so I can do my week by week list for 2019. Living in Erie we really only have 2 decent teams. Erie McDowell and Erie Cathedral Prep. About 10 years ago, a team named Mentor (who at the time I had no idea what I was about to see and about to change my entire HS football experience, came to play at Erie McDowell. I saw a kid named Mitch Trubisky and the high flying Mentor Cardinals. I was in awe. So I googled Ohio HS football that Saturday and started to educate myself about Ohio HS football. I have been going ever since. Rain, cold, hot and humid - I'm coming to Ohio!! So I have Mentor to thank for opening my eyes to football outside of Erie. I do like watching the D1 big boys as well as when the Cincinnati powers come over to Cleveland. I also love the SWC and many other D2 teams. It can be a little costly over 15 weeks (gas, tickets, sometimes parking, food: I eat in the town of the game). But I also typically pay about .50-.60 a gallon cheaper for my gas in Ohio than in PA. That pays for my ticket at least. The only regret is that I didn't know about Ohio HS football many years sooner. Even I can see attendance the last 10 years declining. What a shame. You have such a great product, I worry that eventually it will really be down due to less kids playing, schools continuing to close, kids with other interests. So for now I will be looking forward to a great 2019 Ohio HS football season. And oh yes- "Go Blue". I would appreciate it if you don't hold that against me. Thanks. Have a great day EaglePride!
Old 02-07-19, 03:21 PM
All District

GoingCoastal is on a distinguished road
Eagles QB Garrett Dzuro signed with the University of Massachusetts yesterday. Coach Tom Lombardo was a catalyst in making that happen. Here is a link with more National Signing Day news on Dzuro and some of his teammates.
https://sehseaglesfootball.blogspot....champions.html
Old 02-09-19, 09:31 PM
All Region

sehs73 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Are you kidding me?? It's my number 1 passion. I Love Ohio HS football. Once all the schedules are out, I do a planner with every game of interest week by week for all 10 weeks. Then each week I pick out the best games and go every Friday and sometimes Friday and Saturday. 2 years ago I went to a week 3 Ohio HS game Friday night. Then weeks 11-14 I go to a Friday playoff game. And some Saturday playoff games. Then week 15 to the State Finals. I really loved my weekend in Canton last year. Last year was an awesome year. Week 1 I saw Eds at Mentor on Friday, then came back Saturday and saw Hoban vs. Ignatius. I saw Berea beat Olmstead Falls like 70-55. Buzcinski and the Berea offense was a beast! I got to see the Girard QB Mark Waid play. This list could go on. I'll go anywhere within 2-2 1/2 hours. I also miss having a playoff game at Infocision. That was awesome. 2 years ago I went to a week 3 Ohio HS game Friday night at Byers. (Ignatius). Then drove that night to Toledo and spent the night. Got up early and went to Ann Arbor and watched Michigan play Air Force. Then drove quickly from Ann Arbor to Bedford HS and watched St. Eds play Elder. It was an awesome weekend of ball. I am already pumped to see all the schedules so I can do my week by week list for 2019. Living in Erie we really only have 2 decent teams. Erie McDowell and Erie Cathedral Prep. About 10 years ago, a team named Mentor (who at the time I had no idea what I was about to see and about to change my entire HS football experience, came to play at Erie McDowell. I saw a kid named Mitch Trubisky and the high flying Mentor Cardinals. I was in awe. So I googled Ohio HS football that Saturday and started to educate myself about Ohio HS football. I have been going ever since. Rain, cold, hot and humid - I'm coming to Ohio!! So I have Mentor to thank for opening my eyes to football outside of Erie. I do like watching the D1 big boys as well as when the Cincinnati powers come over to Cleveland. I also love the SWC and many other D2 teams. It can be a little costly over 15 weeks (gas, tickets, sometimes parking, food: I eat in the town of the game). But I also typically pay about .50-.60 a gallon cheaper for my gas in Ohio than in PA. That pays for my ticket at least. The only regret is that I didn't know about Ohio HS football many years sooner. Even I can see attendance the last 10 years declining. What a shame. You have such a great product, I worry that eventually it will really be down due to less kids playing, schools continuing to close, kids with other interests. So for now I will be looking forward to a great 2019 Ohio HS football season. And oh yes- "Go Blue". I would appreciate it if you don't hold that against me. Thanks. Have a great day EaglePride!
Make sure you post on the Eds thread when you're coming to an Eds game (or even any game in CLE) in 2019. I'm sure myself and other fans will meet up with you for a meal and a brew.

As for Erie, I LOVE the Erie Cathedral Prep stadium (if its still there) The old stone one in front of the school. (I hope I have that right). When we go to games in Erie we always go to this BBQ bar that serves a slice of bacon with everything. The BBQ is good and its a great local place. Erie is a great working class lakefront town. Just like CLE.
Old 02-10-19, 10:30 AM
Controller

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
That stadium was not at Cathedral Prep, rather at a Erie public school I believe. I think Cathedral Prep may now have a field of their own, but that old stadium was cool
Old 02-10-19, 12:27 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehs73 View Post
Make sure you post on the Eds thread when you're coming to an Eds game (or even any game in CLE) in 2019. I'm sure myself and other fans will meet up with you for a meal and a brew.

As for Erie, I LOVE the Erie Cathedral Prep stadium (if its still there) The old stone one in front of the school. (I hope I have that right). When we go to games in Erie we always go to this BBQ bar that serves a slice of bacon with everything. The BBQ is good and its a great local place. Erie is a great working class lakefront town. Just like CLE.
Sounds like a plan. I will be at Lakewood week 1 for the Mentor game for sure. The only issue I have with Erie is that I am really starting to HATE winter. My fantasy is to someday retire in a nice warm area of the country. The Prep stadium is ok, it only has bleachers on 1 side. It also has a train track within yards of the field that has trains come thru during games and is very annoying loud. And it doesn't hold many people. Not a fan of it. They just jammed it in the middle of West 12th St., which is a business area.
Old 02-11-19, 10:35 AM
All Region

sehs73 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The Prep stadium is ok, it only has bleachers on 1 side. It also has a train track within yards of the field that has trains come thru during games and is very annoying loud. And it doesn't hold many people. Not a fan of it. They just jammed it in the middle of West 12th St., which is a business area.
About a decade ago I went to an Eds game there and I seem to remember an old field (stadium) in front of the school? Or what looked like a school? Was that torn down? Was the school torn down? Is the home stadium in the same place where it always was? I looked on google maps and it doesn't look the same, but that could just be age catching up with me.

I just saw EagleFan's comment. Is that old stadium he's referring to still there?
Old 02-11-19, 11:06 AM
All Yappi

EaglePride01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sehs73 View Post
About a decade ago I went to an Eds game there and I seem to remember an old field (stadium) in front of the school? Or what looked like a school? Was that torn down? Was the school torn down? Is the home stadium in the same place where it always was? I looked on google maps and it doesn't look the same, but that could just be age catching up with me.

I just saw EagleFan's comment. Is that old stadium he's referring to still there?
I believe the field both you and EF are referring to is Veteran's Memorial Stadium in Erie. Very cool stadium.

https://www.sportsinpa.com/sites/def...-Stadium_1.jpg
Old 02-11-19, 06:25 PM
Controller

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
St. Edward vs. Winton Woods?
Old 02-11-19, 06:34 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglePride01 View Post
I believe the field both you and EF are referring to is Veteran's Memorial Stadium in Erie. Very cool stadium.

https://www.sportsinpa.com/sites/def...-Stadium_1.jpg
You are correct. That field is Erie Veteran's Memorial Field. Really nice stadium and great place to watch football. Parking blows. There is still a school attached to it. It once was called Academy High School. Then they closed it for awhile and reopened it as "Collegiate Academy". It is there for the top notch academic kids in the area. I think they have about 300 students. Then to play sports they must play for their home district. The school does not offer sports.
Old 02-12-19, 10:48 AM
All Yappi

EaglePride01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
St. Edward vs. Winton Woods?
Rumored to be part of a showcase event in the Dayton area featuring several teams.
Old 02-12-19, 12:04 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglePride01 View Post
Rumored to be part of a showcase event in the Dayton area featuring several teams.
Intriguing...

Anyone know when we'll hear a full schedule for the fall?
Old 02-13-19, 07:58 AM
War Room

GencoEd is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You are correct. That field is Erie Veteran's Memorial Field. Really nice stadium and great place to watch football. Parking blows. .
It was particularly fun walking down all those concrete stairs from the lockeroom to the field in cleats!