Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-07-19, 03:11 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
I was going off memory... at least of late (last 10-15 years) it seems like Iíve heard of more guys from Mount, JCU, H-Berg, and ONU than I have most of the local D2s.
Also of note is that most of the local NCAA DIIs haven't been NCAA DII for very long. They were still NAIA schools even 10 years ago.

From my childhood days (mid-'90s), Ashland is the only Ohio school I remember being in NCAA DII at the time. Findlay was the next to move to NCAA DII.
Old 02-07-19, 07:31 PM
All Region

joelmama is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
And most of Central Stateís guys were from the late Ď80s and Ď90s when they were a powerhouse. I bet they havenít had any the last 10-15 years.
most of the d2's were a generation ago at least. Also for many of John Carrol's.
Old 02-08-19, 02:27 PM
All Region

CC Track Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
Also of note is that most of the local NCAA DIIs haven't been NCAA DII for very long. They were still NAIA schools even 10 years ago.

From my childhood days (mid-'90s), Ashland is the only Ohio school I remember being in NCAA DII at the time. Findlay was the next to move to NCAA DII.
Correct. Findlay went about 20 years ago and other began following shortly after.
Old 02-12-19, 03:31 PM
All Region

fantastic50 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan23 View Post
A lot of the bigger D3 programs are getting recruits from D1 or D2 that can't make the grades or have other circumstances that prevent them from getting a scholarship.
This made me laugh a bit. The admission standards are generally tougher in D3 than in D2 (and many D1 schools).

Median ACT scores for some NCAC & OAC (D3) decent football schools...
Denison 29
Wooster 27
Wabash 26
OWU 25
John Carroll 25
Wittenberg 25
Baldwin Wallace 24
Mount Union 23

The top of the GLIAC (D2) in football...
Grand Valley 24
Ashland 23
Saginaw 23
Ferris St 22

And in the MAC (D1) upper half of the football standings...
Miami 28
Buffalo 26
Ohio U 24
Toledo 23
WMU 23
EMU 22
N Illinois 22
Old 02-13-19, 07:26 AM
All Ohio

tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
Because colleges have NEVER EVER bent their admission standards for athletes, ever, in the history of sports.....

Ohio State requires a bigger SAT/ACT score and GPA than any school on this list and they have a less than 50% acceptance rate. You're telling me every single person on their teams have an ACT over 30 and SAT over 1400 and they're competing for national championships?
Old 02-13-19, 11:06 AM
All Region

fantastic50 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Because colleges have NEVER EVER bent their admission standards for athletes, ever, in the history of sports.....

Ohio State requires a bigger SAT/ACT score and GPA than any school on this list and they have a less than 50% acceptance rate. You're telling me every single person on their teams have an ACT over 30 and SAT over 1400 and they're competing for national championships?
When athletics is a money-loser (as is the case at all D2 & D3 schools), there isn't the same level of pressure to admit student-athletes who aren't qualified academically. Certainly, some borderline cases get the benefit of the doubt, but that's also likely true for a variety of other factors besides athletics. What's more, D3 institutions are prohibited from considering athletic background in financial aid packages (and yes, there is an NCAA process to monitor it.)

D1 athletes graduate at about the same rate as their non-athlete peers, but D2 and D3 athletes graduate at substantially higher rates than students who aren't varsity athletes. Nationwide, graduation rates are far higher for D3 athletes (67-69%) than in D2 (55-57%).

By the way, OSU & Denison's admit rates & median ACT scores are almost identical, and Wooster's acceptance rate is just over half.
Old 02-13-19, 12:33 PM
All Ohio

GCLFan99 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
There are plenty of professional athletes that are either current or former NFL players or current or former NBA players that played football (a la LeBron) that have come out publicly saying they won't let their kid play football. Even Trump just said recently he would have to strongly think about letting his kid play. Even though equipment today is safer than it has ever been.

If you are good enough and have a choice in what sport to play, choosing basketball or baseball over football professionally should be an easy choice. Even collegiately it's an easy choice. Longer career, more money, and the safety factor isn't even close. I laugh at Kyler Murray (who is a 5'9 QB which is amazing) who already has millions of dollars guaranteed to play with the Oakland A's, that he is even considering football. He should be running to spring training right now to collect his millions and enjoy a 15 year baseball career where he should make even more.

Unfortunately, we all love a dying game.
Murray may love the game but be clear this is a financial decision. If will be a first round pick. If he is picked at the top of the first round he will be looking at somewhere north of $25 million guaranteed. If he is the last pick of the first round he will receive over $8 million guaranteed.

His only guarantee in baseball is his orginal signining bonus of $4.5 million. He will then join the A's and enter the minor leagues. Only when he makes a MLB roster and has a few years of success will he even begin to approach the money is is guaranteed to make being a first round pick.

While the average MLB career lasts much longer than the average NFL career of 4 years, QB's have a much longer career. A good backup can play for 10 years or longer and make a ton of money.

Murray made the right call if you are basing it solely on financial considerations