Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-17-17, 07:58 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
Still don't like the idea of auto-bids.

I'm all aboard the 6 team train. Keeps the importance of being great (finishing in top two) and doesn't allow any team to "back in" to a playoff by winning a weaker division and pulling one out of their a*s in the conference title (i.e. Florida the past two years, Wisky in 2012 with like five losses)
this

6 teams
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-17, 12:11 PM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
Conference Championships should still matter IMO. No matter how much bigger you go teams can still back their way in. For instance Ohio State this year, should a few teams ahead of them lose can back their way in with 2-losses. They should really scrap the Conference Championship Games, because anything can happen in one game, but that won't happen. At the very least, get rid of divisions so that your scenario above doesn't happen and the best two team make it to the Championship Game.
I would argue that conference championships can matter without guaranteeing a spot in the playoff. They still hang banners for them, and remain a source of pride. The "win it all or it doesn't matter" attitude that pervades pretty much all sports these days has started to bother me. It's like people (myself included) can't enjoy the good things that happen throughout the season because we're all thinking about title implications
Old 11-18-17, 12:18 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
I think it would be understandable if a P5 conference champ didn't finish in the Top 8, and I also think it wouldn't happen too often.
Old 11-20-17, 01:00 PM
All American

14Red is on a distinguished road
6, then 8, then 16, where does it end? It's not a right to be in the football playoffs, it's an earned privilege. The more teams you put in this, the less it means. Look at the NBA playoffs, it's 6 months of irrelevant basketball, then 16 teams make the playoffs. 4 is fine. They'll figure it out.
Old 11-20-17, 01:17 PM
All Yappi

The NBA has like half the league qualify. The P5 alone have over 60 teams playing for a 4 team playoff. Expanding to 6 or 8 wouldn't hurt anything.
Old 11-20-17, 02:19 PM
All American

KingKong24 is on a distinguished road
I don’t want to see it expand past 6 teams with the 1 and 2 seeds having a bye. I’ve always liked college football the best because every game feels so important.
Old 11-20-17, 04:09 PM
All Region

Max Grumbleman is on a distinguished road
Max's Point-System Rankings - Week 13

As always, the full Excel file is attached to the post for those who want a more in-depth look.

- There was an "infinite loop" issue with Auburn and Clemson. I resolved it by granting Clemson 30 points for the win over Auburn instead of the 25 points a win against a team ranked 6-10 would normally earn. I felt this was a justified solution given the "infinite loop" scenario and Clemson's victory over Auburn during the season.

There is still a lot of football to be played. This week and next are going to be really interesting.
Attached Files
File Type: zip rankings.zip (75.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 11-20-17, 04:19 PM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
6, then 8, then 16, where does it end? It's not a right to be in the football playoffs, it's an earned privilege. The more teams you put in this, the less it means. Look at the NBA playoffs, it's 6 months of irrelevant basketball, then 16 teams make the playoffs. 4 is fine. They'll figure it out.
Well with that logic why go past 2? Just take the best two teams and be done with it. Or better yet, let's just give Championships via polls like they use to do.

6 or 8 wouldn't dilute the system. I used to like 12 but I can see how that would be too many. Few of these brackets would have been interesting:
2014:
#1 Alabama vs. #4 Ohio State/#5 Baylor winner (no bellyaching about OSU getting in if they beat the Bears)
#2 Oregon vs. #3 Florida State/#6 TCU
-the 1-8, 2-7 matchups weren't great (Bama/MSU, Oregon/Mississippi St)

#1 Clemson vs. #4 Oklahoma/#5 Iowa
#2 Alabama vs. #3 Michigan State/#6 Standford
(1-8, 2-7 would have been Clemson/Notre Dame, Alabama/Ohio State)

#1 Alabama vs. #4 Washington/#5 Penn State
#2 Clemson vs. #3 Ohio State/#6 Michigan
(1-8, 2-7 would have been Bama/Wisconsin, Clemson/Oklahoma)
Old 11-20-17, 05:02 PM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Chop up the Big 12 and stick the different parts into the other power conferences along with ND into the ACC and you have the basic format for a fairer system. 8 division champs from power conferences playing for the right to got to the national semi finals and final games. Yeah some tougher divisions like the SEC West and B1G East will be tougher to win but tell the conference office to re-align if it is that unfair.

Also, paycheck Saturday has got to go. This weekend stunk, the NCAA needs to step in and say that no OOC games after October 1 unless it is against another power conference team or ND.
Old 11-20-17, 09:07 PM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Chop up the Big 12 and stick the different parts into the other power conferences along with ND into the ACC and you have the basic format for a fairer system. 8 division champs from power conferences playing for the right to got to the national semi finals and final games. Yeah some tougher divisions like the SEC West and B1G East will be tougher to win but tell the conference office to re-align if it is that unfair.

Also, paycheck Saturday has got to go. This weekend stunk, the NCAA needs to step in and say that no OOC games after October 1 unless it is against another power conference team or ND.
This was what everyone predicted a few years ago when realignment was on the table. It won't happen for a few more years, if it ever happens but I'm all in favor of that. Four 16-team conferences with 7-division games, 2 cross-division games and then at least one cross conference matchup.
Old 11-21-17, 07:23 PM
All Yappi

CFP Week 13 Rankings
1. Alabama
2. Miami
3. Clemson
4. Oklahoma
5. Wisconsin
6. Auburn
7. Georgia
8. Notre Dame
9. Ohio State
10. Penn State
11. USC
12. TCU
13. Washington State
14. Mississippi State
15. UCF
16. Michigan State
17. Washington
18. LSU
19. Oklahoma State
20. Memphis
21. Stanford
22. Northwestern
23. Boise State
24. South Carolina
25. Virginia Tech
Old 11-21-17, 09:25 PM
All Ohio

boiler is on a distinguished road
No surprises this week. Committee moves South Carolina and Virginia Tech to 24 and 25 to pad Clemson, Miami and SEC.

Both ACC and SEC play 8 conference games. They pad their record with one more win against a cupcake. If they played one more conference game, half of the teams would have one more loss. Their SOS would suffer as a result.