Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 09-19-17, 10:26 AM
EastYoungstown EastYoungstown is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-04-12
Location: Rayen Stadium
Posts: 9,132
EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHSspartans13 View Post
Tough game to peg. I think Mooney is going to catch fire the second half of the season and make the playoffs, hopefully it doesn't start until after next week though. No one has really dented Boardman too much on the ground, sans the 85 yard run by the fullback from Big Red at the end of last Fridays game. Question will be if the front 8 at Boardman can hold up in the trenches and contain the Mooney ground game. Lots of celebration on the Boardman side this weekend, hopefully it doesn't lead the team to come out flat. Should be tight. Hopefully everyone gets and stays healthy. Losing Ieraci killed us right at the pivotal moment last week.

Meanwhile, I'm going to go back on the BHS Facebook alumni page and laugh my off some more at the guys who think Ignazio should be fired based off of Fridays game and how Ogilvie would have been 10-0 at Boardman every year....LOL
agreed
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-19-17, 10:27 AM
EastYoungstown EastYoungstown is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-04-12
Location: Rayen Stadium
Posts: 9,132
EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHSspartans13 View Post
You'll see Boardman get robbed in this video lol at about 9:55 (right after Boardman took a 7-0 lead)...

Anyways, this game scares me because Mooney always excels on the offensive and defensive lines and that is where Boardman is generally successful. As SV said, it will come down to O'Horo being able to run the offense against this defense. And whoever turns the ball over less, as usual.

Isn't that a forward pass at the 10:05 mark?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-19-17, 10:29 AM
EastYoungstown EastYoungstown is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-04-12
Location: Rayen Stadium
Posts: 9,132
EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
Typically they only show themselves when they are good. There is like four of them now
most left when the Huddle vanished.

most of what was left were not long time folks but temporary folks here to complain while their kids were on the team. when those kids graduated, they vanished too

now there probably is about 4 left....
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-19-17, 10:40 AM
Spread All Day Spread All Day is online now
All World
 
Join Date: 06-25-11
Location: The valley
Posts: 4,819
Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
most left when the Huddle vanished.

most of what was left were not long time folks but temporary folks here to complain while their kids were on the team. when those kids graduated, they vanished too

now there probably is about 4 left....
They were such babies on huddle. They used to get people kicked off that site almost on the daily. Thank god they didn't move over.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09-19-17, 12:11 PM
EastYoungstown EastYoungstown is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-04-12
Location: Rayen Stadium
Posts: 9,132
EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
They were such babies on huddle. They used to get people kicked off that site almost on the daily. Thank god they didn't move over.
Huddle had too many mods. They were spoiled there. No doubt about that.

If mooney wins this one, they move right up into the playoff mix.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 09-19-17, 12:51 PM
Irish Football Irish Football is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 03-10-17
Posts: 111
Irish Football is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
Huddle had too many mods. They were spoiled there. No doubt about that.

If mooney wins this one, they move right up into the playoff mix.
It would be a shame if they don't make the playoffs. I thought they were a really good team just had too many turnovers to beat StV.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 09-19-17, 02:08 PM
Gills23 Gills23 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 08-18-14
Posts: 111
Gills23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan0505 View Post
Where are the Mooney posters ????
Most of the mooney posters and followers abandoned the program until major changes are made, you see one change was made with Chris Amil being fired the reason for that was because he was having an affair with two teachers, now if they would get rid of the rest of the part time coaches and hire a full time head coach and coordinators maybe the fans would come back.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 09-19-17, 02:12 PM
Spartan0505 Spartan0505 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-21-07
Posts: 2,282
Spartan0505 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gills23 View Post
Most of the mooney posters and followers abandoned the program until major changes are made, you see one change was made with Chris Amil being fired the reason for that was because he was having an affair with two teachers, now if they would get rid of the rest of the part time coaches and hire a full time head coach and coordinators maybe the fans would come back.

Yikes....
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 09-19-17, 02:36 PM
BHSspartans13 BHSspartans13 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-27-06
Posts: 3,073
BHSspartans13 is on a distinguished road
But doesn't Mooney already have a large staff? Or, at least, it always looks like they do. Pasteur has Mooney in at 5-5 so this isn't a must win for them yet. Honestly even if they lose Friday I think they go 6-4. And if they make the field, I expect them to win until they'd play Big Red. It would be fun if Mooney got to hit the road to Poland or Girard in the first round!
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 09-19-17, 02:47 PM
StruthersAlum1999 StruthersAlum1999 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 09-15-17
Location: Struthers, Ohio
Posts: 20
StruthersAlum1999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gills23 View Post
Most of the mooney posters and followers abandoned the program until major changes are made, you see one change was made with Chris Amil being fired the reason for that was because he was having an affair with two teachers, now if they would get rid of the rest of the part time coaches and hire a full time head coach and coordinators maybe the fans would come back.
Whelp, at least it was teachers and not a student, like the former Boardman offensive coordinator.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 09-19-17, 02:48 PM
ideliver ideliver is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-30-15
Posts: 377
ideliver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHSspartans13 View Post
But doesn't Mooney already have a large staff? Or, at least, it always looks like they do. Pasteur has Mooney in at 5-5 so this isn't a must win for them yet. Honestly even if they lose Friday I think they go 6-4. And if they make the field, I expect them to win until they'd play Big Red. It would be fun if Mooney got to hit the road to Poland or Girard in the first round!


I would like to see them play Girard.

Girard's offense is very impressive. But, with Mooney's running game and ability to sustain drives....the matchup will test if Girard's defense is actually playoff caliber. Especially since we don't get a good feel for that based on their opponents.

How good of a win is it against a rebuilding Hubbard or a 3 division smaller JFK? Otherwise, who have they actually beat?

Girard needs a signature win...
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 09-19-17, 02:53 PM
Spread All Day Spread All Day is online now
All World
 
Join Date: 06-25-11
Location: The valley
Posts: 4,819
Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ideliver View Post
I would like to see them play Girard.

Girard's offense is very impressive. But, with Mooney's running game and ability to sustain drives....the matchup will test if Girard's defense is actually playoff caliber. Especially since we don't get a good feel for that based on their opponents.

How good of a win is it against a rebuilding Hubbard or a 3 division smaller JFK? Otherwise, who have they actually beat?

Girard needs a signature win...
They have no signature teams on the schedule.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 09-19-17, 03:02 PM
EastYoungstown EastYoungstown is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-04-12
Location: Rayen Stadium
Posts: 9,132
EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHSspartans13 View Post
But doesn't Mooney already have a large staff? Or, at least, it always looks like they do. Pasteur has Mooney in at 5-5 so this isn't a must win for them yet. Honestly even if they lose Friday I think they go 6-4. And if they make the field, I expect them to win until they'd play Big Red. It would be fun if Mooney got to hit the road to Poland or Girard in the first round!
They will need 6 IMO
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 09-19-17, 03:04 PM
EastYoungstown EastYoungstown is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-04-12
Location: Rayen Stadium
Posts: 9,132
EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruthersAlum1999 View Post
Whelp, at least it was teachers and not a student, like the former Boardman offensive coordinator.
(trying not to reply, trying not to reply)
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 09-19-17, 03:07 PM
EastYoungstown EastYoungstown is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-04-12
Location: Rayen Stadium
Posts: 9,132
EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gills23 View Post
Most of the mooney posters and followers abandoned the program until major changes are made, you see one change was made with Chris Amil being fired the reason for that was because he was having an affair with two teachers, now if they would get rid of the rest of the part time coaches and hire a full time head coach and coordinators maybe the fans would come back.
This is certainly an 11 on the unintentional comedy scale
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 09-20-17, 07:22 AM
mother_goose mother_goose is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 09-25-11
Posts: 333
mother_goose is on a distinguished road
Pondering whether to join the discussion....
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 09-20-17, 08:37 AM
EastYoungstown EastYoungstown is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-04-12
Location: Rayen Stadium
Posts: 9,132
EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
^^^^ don't do it

On a football related note I'm glad to see the O'Horo kid doing well at Boardman. I heard lots of good things about him both athletically and character wise before he arrived.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 09-20-17, 10:02 AM
Spartan0505 Spartan0505 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-21-07
Posts: 2,282
Spartan0505 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
^^^^ don't do it

On a football related note I'm glad to see the O'Horo kid doing well at Boardman. I heard lots of good things about him both athletically and character wise before he arrived.

One of the better QB's we've had in recent years.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 09-20-17, 10:03 AM
Buckeye Elite Buckeye Elite is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 08-10-14
Posts: 1,501
Buckeye Elite is on a distinguished road
^^ hands down, polifrone wasn't bad tho
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 09-20-17, 10:04 AM
EastYoungstown EastYoungstown is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-04-12
Location: Rayen Stadium
Posts: 9,132
EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan0505 View Post
One of the better QB's we've had in recent years.
soph? junior?

either way, gonna see some good things from him for a while
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 09-20-17, 10:29 AM
Spartan0505 Spartan0505 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-21-07
Posts: 2,282
Spartan0505 is on a distinguished road
Correct Buckeye, Pollifrone did some good things for sure. 2 year stater, led us to the playoffs.

East, O'Horo is a junior.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 09-20-17, 11:44 AM
BHSspartans13 BHSspartans13 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-27-06
Posts: 3,073
BHSspartans13 is on a distinguished road
Probably the first time since John Ryan or Jeff Ryan that Boardman has centered it's offense around the QB. Zetts had Evan Beard to hand the ball off to 25-30 times a game and the strongest offensive line in Boardman history protecting him. Pollifrone had Campbell and a nice stable of receivers. O'Horo is off to a great start this year with a mostly new O line and receiving corps.

Also, interestingly O'Horo looked up to the McCarthy brothers and tries to play with their intensity. He's been a great leader on and off the field for Boardman.

Last edited by BHSspartans13; 09-20-17 at 11:56 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 09-20-17, 02:59 PM
IJoinedToPostThis? IJoinedToPostThis? is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 09-14-16
Posts: 12
IJoinedToPostThis? is on a distinguished road
O'Horo is a good player. You have to wonder what the difference would be for both teams if he stayed in the catholic schools and if the Mooney QB remained at Boardman.

This should be a tough game for both sides. Two years back when Boardman opened up their new stadium their first opponent was a Mooney team that wasn't particularly good. The Cardinals ruined the Boardman celebration that night. Last year Mooney had an improved team and Boardman came in to Stambaugh and won on an impressive comeback. Then they celebrated like crazy at the 50. I am sure the Mooney players could hear that in the locker room.

Who knows if there is any extra motivation or if it is even needed. There is a lot riding on the game for Mooney and its playoff chances. For Boardman each of these wins helps to keep their program strong by giving people some comfort in staying home instead of going to a Youngstown Catholic school.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 09-20-17, 05:43 PM
Spartan0505 Spartan0505 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-21-07
Posts: 2,282
Spartan0505 is on a distinguished road
Big game for both teams indeed.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 09-20-17, 05:50 PM
jackson03 jackson03 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-03-13
Posts: 1,285
jackson03 is on a distinguished road
Any news on whether or not Ieraci will be available? Never heard anything about the severity of the injury after Friday.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 09-21-17, 08:08 AM
EastYoungstown EastYoungstown is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-04-12
Location: Rayen Stadium
Posts: 9,132
EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by IJoinedToPostThis? View Post
O'Horo is a good player. You have to wonder what the difference would be for both teams if he stayed in the catholic schools and if the Mooney QB remained at Boardman.

This should be a tough game for both sides. Two years back when Boardman opened up their new stadium their first opponent was a Mooney team that wasn't particularly good. The Cardinals ruined the Boardman celebration that night. Last year Mooney had an improved team and Boardman came in to Stambaugh and won on an impressive comeback. Then they celebrated like crazy at the 50. I am sure the Mooney players could hear that in the locker room.

Who knows if there is any extra motivation or if it is even needed. There is a lot riding on the game for Mooney and its playoff chances. For Boardman each of these wins helps to keep their program strong by giving people some comfort in staying home instead of going to a Youngstown Catholic school.
Excellent point.

Or if both played at the same school. each of those kids are excellent athletes that could play multiple positions
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 09-21-17, 08:42 AM
trippsbellyrt trippsbellyrt is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-26-11
Posts: 209
trippsbellyrt is on a distinguished road
Mooney has been their own worst enemy with turnovers and costly penalties. Need to clean that up if they're going to have a chance. Their best player overall is Gentile, #54. Plays Center and DE, has an extremely high motor, reminds me of Simon. Best skilled position probably a toss up between the QB Paige and RB McCoy. Mooney has a huge offensive line but waist too much time with slow developing plays. They need to get back to good ole smash mouth offense.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 09-21-17, 09:18 AM
Buckeye Elite Buckeye Elite is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 08-10-14
Posts: 1,501
Buckeye Elite is on a distinguished road
IS Boardman's D what it has been for the last couple years? Stronger or weaker? If it's near the same boardman wins
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 09-21-17, 09:44 AM
Spartan0505 Spartan0505 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-21-07
Posts: 2,282
Spartan0505 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Elite View Post
IS Boardman's D what it has been for the last couple years? Stronger or weaker? If it's near the same boardman wins

It's about the same as it has been. They do have corners (Jennings, Pickard) who can actually cover 1 on 1 now. BR carved them up last week in the middle of the field with the short passing game. Especially when Ieraci went out of the game who plays OLB. I heard he has a knee injury, unsure if he'll play friday.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 09-21-17, 09:44 AM
mother_goose mother_goose is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 09-25-11
Posts: 333
mother_goose is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippsbellyrt View Post
Mooney has been their own worst enemy with turnovers and costly penalties. Need to clean that up if they're going to have a chance. Their best player overall is Gentile, #54. Plays Center and DE, has an extremely high motor, reminds me of Simon. Best skilled position probably a toss up between the QB Paige and RB McCoy. Mooney has a huge offensive line but waist too much time with slow developing plays. They need to get back to good ole smash mouth offense.
If Mooney is to salvage the season, this has to be the week. Mooney needs a full four-quarter effort. I recall last year we dominated the game for 45 minutes and got beat in the end. Certainly, it was great if you're from Boardman, but not if you're from Mooney.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boardman 2017 Spartan0505 Football 332 10-22-17 08:17 PM
Challenge Game: Boardman (2-0) at Jackson (2-0) BHSspartans13 Football 132 09-09-17 03:25 PM
Wk.#2 Cardinal Mooney vs Akron Hoban 4cards Football 48 09-06-17 05:42 PM
Cardinal Mooney 2017 4cards Football 132 08-25-17 04:26 PM
Your Favorite Steel Valley Conference Team From Back In The Day. FootballQueen Football 63 07-12-17 08:39 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz