Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-30-17, 12:06 PM
All American

AjmBaseball1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post
That says "(Medley Relay)". That is one event out of many. Walsh was 4th in the team score standings and wasn't really close score wise to the three teams ahead of them. Why Walsh put a single event champion on with team championships, I have no idea.

1. Upper Arlington 239
2. Mason 229
3. Cincinnati St Ursula Academy 203.5
4. Cuyahoga Falls Walsh Jesuit 129
5. Springboro 125

Noted. Stupid to put it under team champion then.
Old 08-30-17, 12:08 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleSE View Post
From the web site it looks as the Women's medley relay won the title, not the team as a whole.

Long and storied tradition at Walsh in sports, both men's and women's.
As mentioned earlier - Walsh is turning into the Notre Dame of High School football.

Great tradition, soon to be an afterthought if they aren't already.

It's amazing to think how fast these things change. Walsh football was in a regional final not too long ago and making the playoffs every year. Now they are irrelevant.
Old 08-30-17, 12:27 PM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjmBaseball1 View Post
As mentioned earlier - Walsh is turning into the Notre Dame of High School football.

Great tradition, soon to be an afterthought if they aren't already.

It's amazing to think how fast these things change. Walsh football was in a regional final not too long ago and making the playoffs every year. Now they are irrelevant.
More like the Boston College of HS football. While a nice program back in the day Walsh Jesuit only has 1 state title in its name and that was 18 years ago.
Old 08-30-17, 01:34 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
More like the Boston College of HS football. While a nice program back in the day Walsh Jesuit only has 1 state title in its name and that was 18 years ago.
Eh, I would go with a little better than Boston College.

But your point stands.
Old 08-30-17, 02:32 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
I'm not that familiar with the school's present administration, but for Walsh to advance beyond where it is now with football the administration would have to commit to a plan to attract kids from beyond their traditional student athlete base. I don't know if they'd be willing to do that.
Old 08-30-17, 02:58 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
I'm not that familiar with the school's present administration, but for Walsh to advance beyond where it is now with football the administration would have to commit to a plan to attract kids from beyond their traditional student athlete base. I don't know if they'd be willing to do that.
Look at when this demise started and follow the paper trail.

Not saying you in particular, Clark. More so for people reading this thread.

There is 0 commitment from the administration to attract kids beyond their "base."

Hence why I used the Notre Dame reference. Every coach that takes the ND job knows he is at a disadvantage in the area of recruiting due to academic standards. Notre Dame doesn't accept your All Star 5* recruit that happens to have a half a brain. Said player ends up at an SEC school for the most part. There is a particular student athlete Notre Dame looks for.

Walsh does the same, but they are finding way more student first athletes instead of athlete first students.
Old 08-30-17, 06:25 PM
All District

parkhaven is an unknown quantity at this point
NCL Academics are excellent with two exceptions.

Quote:
Academics, sure.

Athletics, not even close.

Women's Soccer, Softball, and Swimming all won states in 2016.

No team in another sport has won a SC since 2008.
All of the NCL schools rank near the top on state testing scores except for two.
Old 08-30-17, 06:29 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkhaven View Post
All of the NCL schools rank near the top on state testing scores except for two.
CCC and JFK?
Old 08-30-17, 06:34 PM
All District

ndforever1967 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Look at when this demise started and follow the paper trail.

Not saying you in particular, Clark. More so for people reading this thread.

There is 0 commitment from the administration to attract kids beyond their "base."

Hence why I used the Notre Dame reference. Every coach that takes the ND job knows he is at a disadvantage in the area of recruiting due to academic standards. Notre Dame doesn't accept your All Star 5* recruit that happens to have a half a brain. Said player ends up at an SEC school for the most part. There is a particular student athlete Notre Dame looks for.

Walsh does the same, but they are finding way more student first athletes instead of athlete first students.
The notion ND can't recruit top talent, due to academics, is not quite true. If you look at most the 5* and 4* recruits, you will see ND does make an offer, but turned down to play at other top programs.

ND, and it appears Walsh, no longer has the appeal to top talented football players. These schools are fine institutions, top academics, yet other schools find a way to grab top players.
Old 08-30-17, 08:21 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndforever1967 View Post
The notion ND can't recruit top talent, due to academics, is not quite true. If you look at most the 5* and 4* recruits, you will see ND does make an offer, but turned down to play at other top programs.

ND, and it appears Walsh, no longer has the appeal to top talented football players. These schools are fine institutions, top academics, yet other schools find a way to grab top players.
They get top talent. Top 10-15 class every year. But they do have academic restrictions which make the HC job tougher.
Old 08-30-17, 08:24 PM
All American

https://notredame.rivals.com/news/no...c-expectations
Old 08-30-17, 08:27 PM
All Ohio

OmegaTheZip is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndforever1967 View Post

I also believe that part of Walsh's issues are that top high school athletes are getting pulled in different directions. Walsh is having issues obtaining some of the areas they may have pulled from because of public school success. (stow obviously being a big one) Aurora is another that because of their success in the past decade is holding on to their top tier athletes that not that long ago would have rather went to Walsh for success.

Hoban and St V have pretty much put a border around Akron. (which is not too unusual, but even the few that would stray to Walsh are not getting away.)

And it would not be unusual even for Cleveland area kids to make the drive to Walsh (Maple, Garfield, Solon). But I think with the resurgence of Benedictine in the last couple years it effects Walsh's Cleveland base.

Listen, at the end of the day there are a bunch of factors leading to Walsh's current rut but at the end of the day when someone says to you "Walsh" you know the name and the legacy. They will be back, I think they will continue to struggle this year severely but they will be back.
Old 08-31-17, 07:59 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaTheZip View Post
I also believe that part of Walsh's issues are that top high school athletes are getting pulled in different directions. Walsh is having issues obtaining some of the areas they may have pulled from because of public school success. (stow obviously being a big one) Aurora is another that because of their success in the past decade is holding on to their top tier athletes that not that long ago would have rather went to Walsh for success.

Hoban and St V have pretty much put a border around Akron. (which is not too unusual, but even the few that would stray to Walsh are not getting away.)

And it would not be unusual even for Cleveland area kids to make the drive to Walsh (Maple, Garfield, Solon). But I think with the resurgence of Benedictine in the last couple years it effects Walsh's Cleveland base.

Listen, at the end of the day there are a bunch of factors leading to Walsh's current rut but at the end of the day when someone says to you "Walsh" you know the name and the legacy. They will be back, I think they will continue to struggle this year severely but they will be back.
You hit the nail on the head here.

With that being said - if you sit at the top of the food chain at Walsh you have to ask yourself "How to we differentiate our self from the Hoban's, SVSM's, and Bene's?" That is the issue. There is no plan. It is status quo. Terrible football team? Eh, who cares? Enrollment is up! Money is great! Still a fine academic institution!

That is how I imagine the people in charge see this. I can't imagine the people who donated several million dollars for that new, shiny field are too happy with the results.

By the way this goes beyond the football team. Almost all sports outside of Women's soccer has face-planted into mediocrity. Sort of embarrassing to be honest.
Old 08-31-17, 08:42 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB 04 View Post
People will start putting pressure on the president if the football program is at a major plateau. That includes paying big money for a head coach.
I'm curious. I wonder what SVSM and Hoban are paying in relation to Walsh. I suspect there's not an appreciable difference.
Old 08-31-17, 09:08 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB 04 View Post
People will start putting pressure on the president if the football program is at a major plateau. That includes paying big money for a head coach.
It's already there. 4-17 over the last 3 seasons. Staring down a 0-10, 1-9 season again.

Simply unacceptable.

The issue isn't coaching though. The talent is the issue.

Have to figure out how to attract the kids they are not getting.
Old 08-31-17, 11:18 PM
All District

wjcav85 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughRiderSports View Post
Should have hired Vassalotti when they had the chance.
They never had a chance...never
Old 08-31-17, 11:21 PM
All District

wjcav85 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
https://vimeo.com/227990654?ref=tw-v-share

Video of the renovations.

If those are the new away stands - visitors are going to be heated. That looks like CYO sized stands.
I would suggest that there is more seating for visitors than St V or Hoban...which have next to nothing.
Old 09-01-17, 07:40 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjcav85 View Post
I would suggest that there is more seating for visitors than St V or Hoban...which have next to nothing.
After seeing the away stands last week at the JV game, I agree.

The video threw me for a loop but the visitor's side is fine.

It will be interesting to see if the construction is done today for the outside. They were pouring a TON of concrete last Saturday morning. Supposedly the construction guys were working through the night - brought their portable stand up lights and everything.
Old 09-01-17, 08:29 AM
All Yappi

It's a "damned if you do damned if you don't" situation. If you sit back and don't try to attract the "non-traditional" student, you're criticized for not making the effort to keep up with other programs. If you do make the effort, you get lumped in with the others and get criticized for recruiting, etc. If you can beat 'em, join 'em?
Old 09-01-17, 10:29 AM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjcav85 View Post
If the Irish expanded the visitors' seating, the stands would be on the railroad tracks!
Old 09-01-17, 10:50 AM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
It's a "damned if you do damned if you don't" situation. If you sit back and don't try to attract the "non-traditional" student, you're criticized for not making the effort to keep up with other programs. If you do make the effort, you get lumped in with the others and get criticized for recruiting, etc. If you can beat 'em, join 'em?
The question isn't how or if Walsh can compete with St. V and Hoban for students in APS. They never have, and likely never will. The question is what can they do to get the athletes back that would have chosen Walsh, but are now choosing Stow and Woodridge and Nordonia and Brecksville and Aurora and etc.! Maybe they can't. But IMO they would have more success at stemming that tide than they would at making meaningful inroads into Akron.
Old 09-01-17, 02:29 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
The question isn't how or if Walsh can compete with St. V and Hoban for students in APS. They never have, and likely never will. The question is what can they do to get the athletes back that would have chosen Walsh, but are now choosing Stow and Woodridge and Nordonia and Brecksville and Aurora and etc.! Maybe they can't. But IMO they would have more success at stemming that tide than they would at making meaningful inroads into Akron.
Good points, but I'm not sure just getting some of those kids back would put them over the top and get them back to where they once were. When they were getting some of those kids and a compliment of the top CYO kids, they were competitive with Hoban and SVSM. Hoban and SVSM have extended far beyond that old base.

Then again, maybe just maybe, a focus away from an activity less than 10% of the student body participates in to focus on other things, is not such a bad idea (I know that's blaspheme on here).
Old 09-01-17, 02:55 PM
All Region

hoban2020 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Good points, but I'm not sure just getting some of those kids back would put them over the top and get them back to where they once were. When they were getting some of those kids and a compliment of the top CYO kids, they were competitive with Hoban and SVSM. Hoban and SVSM have extended far beyond that old base.

Then again, maybe just maybe, a focus away from an activity less than 10% of the student body participates in to focus on other things, is not such a bad idea (I know that's blaspheme on here).

Almost every activity at every school attracts less than 10% of the student body - football, band, theatre, mock trial and so on.

Sports for generations has been the activity that brings together more students on a Friday/Saturday night and good teams tend to draw more students wanting to attend the school which equals paying customers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-01-17, 03:34 PM
All Ohio

OmegaTheZip is on a distinguished road
Quote:

It is definitely a catch 22. To put the backlash on football when in the long run academics are what will make the long term difference. Having said that I believe the intentions are right. However, alumni do not come out and support and open their wallets to the OGT mean. Alumni and boosters respond to sports and the success of those sports teams. For a lot of schools that relies on football team success. It goes without saying, the more success the more people feel inclined to financially support the cause.

My point being Walsh has to figure out a way to keep their academic expectations but still improve the product on the field. People in general do not want to back a product if they feel there is no "backing" from within.
Old 09-02-17, 07:31 AM
All American

As I am sure most people here already know:

SVSM: 28

Walsh: 8
Old 09-02-17, 10:03 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoban2020 View Post
Almost every activity at every school attracts less than 10% of the student body - football, band, theatre, mock trial and so on.

Sports for generations has been the activity that brings together more students on a Friday/Saturday night and good teams tend to draw more students wanting to attend the school which equals paying customers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get it. Those are good points. More than anything, I am trying to spark the discussion. I would point out that football requires a greater financial outlay and commitment than nearly every other activity.

Hoban2020 and Omega make a good point as to the importance of football in a school's identity. My senior class won a state championship. I think we could have a Nobel Peace Prize winner and a President and still be known for that state title. LOL.
Old 09-05-17, 07:24 AM
All American

Quote:
I get it. Those are good points. More than anything, I am trying to spark the discussion. I would point out that football requires a greater financial outlay and commitment than nearly every other activity.

Hoban2020 and Omega make a good point as to the importance of football in a school's identity. My senior class won a state championship. I think we could have a Nobel Peace Prize winner and a President and still be known for that state title. LOL.
That's Ohio - specifically NE Ohio - for ya. Football is king.

Side note: interesting to see that about only 75% of WJ's stands were full for their home opener against a rival. Especially because they were unveiling the renovations to the stadium.
Old 09-05-17, 09:14 AM
All American

Summa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
CCC and JFK?
JFK has very good test scores.
Old 09-08-17, 07:27 AM
All American

The 1-1 Bishop Watterson Eagles travel to Cuyahoga Falls tonight to take on 0-2 Walsh Jesuit.

Wonder if Urban Meyer makes the trip to watch his son play?

I know he did 2 years ago and to also scout Walsh Jesuit offensive lineman Jack Wohlabaugh who would later commit to the Buckeyes.
Old 09-08-17, 10:35 AM
All American

the123kidz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The 1-1 Bishop Watterson Eagles travel to Cuyahoga Falls tonight to take on 0-2 Walsh Jesuit.

Wonder if Urban Meyer makes the trip to watch his son play?

I know he did 2 years ago and to also scout Walsh Jesuit offensive lineman Jack Wohlabaugh who would later commit to the Buckeyes.
Did the younger Wohlabaugh boy go to Walsh? He would be a freshman or sophomore