Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-04-17, 08:55 PM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmk1 View Post
I can't disagree with you about any of your points. It's pretty simple. And you really don't need to be an Einstein to figure some of this out. I just can't understand why the coaches don't get it. DB's getting beat deep is a year in and year out event. You can pretty much take that to the bank.
How ironic that the biggest position of concern over the years is the same position that the head coach grew up playing. Triv has often been the DB positional coach in addition to his head coaching duties. Year after year, the corners get beat and/or don't look back to make plays at the ball. It is clearly coaching.

The offensive coaches obviously know what they are doing. The resume speaks for itself with all of the All-Ohio offensive players produced over the years. Nobody knows how the defensive coaches (middle and high school) can continue to produce such a lack of fundamentals on the defensive side of the ball. It goes to show you how little Triv believes defense wins games (which is true...he has said so himself) and how loyal he is to the defensive coaches. There have been some solid athletes put on that side of the ball over the years. Some of them even received DI scholarships. But in high school, even those kids still often looked lost.

After all of these years, the buck stops with the head coach.
Old 09-08-17, 10:44 AM
All American

CardzFan1 is on a distinguished road
I heard that Glenville was without their QB last week. They do have some speed at RB, which could be trouble with the way that the Mentor defense gives up big plays. Hopefully, Mentor's running game is effective today. Mentor really needs to win today.
Old 09-08-17, 10:49 AM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
How ironic that the biggest position of concern over the years is the same position that the head coach grew up playing. Triv has often been the DB positional coach in addition to his head coaching duties. Year after year, the corners get beat and/or don't look back to make plays at the ball. It is clearly coaching.

The offensive coaches obviously know what they are doing. The resume speaks for itself with all of the All-Ohio offensive players produced over the years. Nobody knows how the defensive coaches (middle and high school) can continue to produce such a lack of fundamentals on the defensive side of the ball. It goes to show you how little Triv believes defense wins games (which is true...he has said so himself) and how loyal he is to the defensive coaches. There have been some solid athletes put on that side of the ball over the years. Some of them even received DI scholarships. But in high school, even those kids still often looked lost.

After all of these years, the buck stops with the head coach.

Yes. We've been saying this for many many years and it's really frustrating Especially for a guy like me that favors defense as a fan

Good luck with the game tonight. Send me periodic updates please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-17, 11:28 AM
All Yappi

Tonight is an opportunity for Mentor to really put it to Glenville. A great team like St Eds did that last week. A loss (or even a close win) would be a step backward. Glenville (0-2) will eventually help big time when it comes to harbins as they will pick up seven wins in the Senate. This is not the Glenville of old. There are no big time prospects. The skill positions aren't littered with guys with OSU offers. Ginn will help make sure a lot of these kids end up playing in college somewhere, but there are no big time prospects on the team. How things have changed. I think there is some kind of correlation between Ginn's health/availability and the drop of the program.

I think NEO high school football is more fun and exciting when Glenville is really, really good. They had some big time games with Mentor, Ignatius, and St Eds over the years. They will probably never get back to that level, but at worst I think they can get to a place where they are at the top of DIII.

Even in recent years when they played against eachother in scrimmages, Glenville is really big and tough up front on both sides of the ball. Running the ball may not be easy. But it will be a good test. I think Mentor should be able to pass on the Tarblooders pretty well. They traditionally had a lot of success even back when Glenville had Big Ten DB's all over the place.
Old 09-08-17, 01:05 PM
All Yappi

EaglePride01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Tonight is an opportunity for Mentor to really put it to Glenville. A great team like St Eds did that last week. A loss (or even a close win) would be a step backward. Glenville (0-2) will eventually help big time when it comes to harbins as they will pick up seven wins in the Senate. This is not the Glenville of old. There are no big time prospects. The skill positions aren't littered with guys with OSU offers. Ginn will help make sure a lot of these kids end up playing in college somewhere, but there are no big time prospects on the team. How things have changed. I think there is some kind of correlation between Ginn's health/availability and the drop of the program.

I think NEO high school football is more fun and exciting when Glenville is really, really good. They had some big time games with Mentor, Ignatius, and St Eds over the years. They will probably never get back to that level, but at worst I think they can get to a place where they are at the top of DIII.

Even in recent years when they played against eachother in scrimmages, Glenville is really big and tough up front on both sides of the ball. Running the ball may not be easy. But it will be a good test. I think Mentor should be able to pass on the Tarblooders pretty well. They traditionally had a lot of success even back when Glenville had Big Ten DB's all over the place.
Correct on the lack of big time prospects, but they still have some good high school level players and team speed. Ed's really didn't pull away until the second half. The lines are pretty typical of Glenville teams, large but sloppy. They have a waterbug named Fullerton at RB that is a nightmare to locate and could slip a tackle in a phone booth. Good speed at receiver. The issue will be who is throwing the ball to them. Their starter got hurt against Euclid. They moved Miami (OH) DB commit Jamel Hamm to QB against us and then he got injured.

Not sure who will be available tonight, but if their starter is healthy and they can distribute the football around, don't be shocked if they hang around longer than expected. Ultimately though, no reason Mentor shouldn't win this game by a large margin when all is said and done.
Old 09-08-17, 09:18 PM
All World

murphy13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone have a final tonight?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-17, 02:01 AM
All Yappi

I heard 31-7 after 3 38-15 final score

Old 09-09-17, 08:31 AM
All Yappi

Mentor wins 38-15. Glenville scored on their second play of the game. From that point on, I felt the key to the comfortable win was the defense. Glenville runs a pretty basic offense. They do have some speedsters to go along with a massive offensive line. I think Glenville would be better off if they ran 90% of the time with a RB or QB. They threw it more than they should have, which was an advantage for Mentor. When Mentor started blitzing more in the second half, it really made a difference. Potter, Bischoff, Brey, Kirschner, and Adams were among the playmakers on defense. The defense was far from perfect, but by the standard set over the years - I can say they played well.

Offensively, Mentor did have trouble running the ball between the tackles. Saj didn't play at all, so Edmond got the bulk of the carries in the first half. He did rush for a TD, but overall wasn't able to get much going. Usually he was met with a Tarblooder at or behind the line of scrimmage. Mentor's depth on offense was in full effect yesterday. After Edmond came off the field, Elijah McDougle and Logan Shea (moving over from the slot) stepped in. McDougle had maybe 6 or 7 carries. He did fumble on his second carry (allowing Shea to take over), but on all of the other carries he looked really good. McDougle looks like the back this team could use to make a run. If Mentor wanted to keep Floriea in the game on a more regular basis, moving Shea to RB (a position he dominated in middle school) could be an option.

Tatarunas was busy all night. Glenville got past the line way too often for my liking. The News-Herald suggests it was Glenville's plan to blitz. But often times, I noticed it was the defensive line that was blowing through without any need for LB blitz. Glenville was big and tough on the lines. Mentor had a huge advantage at QB, and that was the biggest difference in the game.

A good win for all kinds of reasons. Glenville (0-3) might only be the 5th best team on the schedule, but they are guaranteed a 7-3 season. Based on scores against mutual opponents thus far (Euclid and St Eds), it appears Mentor is in between the Panthers and Eagles. Sounds right to me.
Old 09-09-17, 11:54 AM
All Region

MENTORFBALL is on a distinguished road
The contributions of Hartman and McDougle will be a welcome addition moving forward. Two real nice players for the offense. Glad to see these two back for their senior year.
Old 09-10-17, 04:22 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MENTORFBALL View Post
The contributions of Hartman and McDougle will be a welcome addition moving forward. Two real nice players for the offense. Glad to see these two back for their senior year.
Yes, they could be the difference between a below average offense (by Mentor's standards) and one that could really stand out. Hartman gives Tadas a speedy target on the outside. Hartman has the fastest 40 time on the team (4.5), according to the News-Herald. For a senior who has barely played much football after 8th grade, he looks impressive. McDougle didn't get a lot of carries, but he made the most of them. I think he had six or seven carries. He had 10+ yards on most of them. Another was a short touchdown run. And he did fumble on his second carry. But overall, I liked what I saw. Even if all of the RB's are completely healthy, the offense may need to go in a different direction with using McDougle on a more regular (possibly full-time) basis).

Logan Shea might be the best athlete on the team. He is the most consistent threat at receiver and potentially could be the best RB. Plus if he had stayed at DB (a position he played on varsity as a freshman and sophomore), he might be one of the best defensive players on the team. If needed, putting Shea at RB can potentially be a successful move. That might be the most effective way to utilize Shea, Baird, and Floriea (three guys that normally play two slot receiver positions) all at the same time.
Old 09-10-17, 09:24 PM
All American

Quote:
Yes, they could be the difference between a below average offense (by Mentor's standards) and one that could really stand out. Hartman gives Tadas a speedy target on the outside. Hartman has the fastest 40 time on the team (4.5), according to the News-Herald. For a senior who has barely played much football after 8th grade, he looks impressive. McDougle didn't get a lot of carries, but he made the most of them. I think he had six or seven carries. He had 10+ yards on most of them. Another was a short touchdown run. And he did fumble on his second carry. But overall, I liked what I saw. Even if all of the RB's are completely healthy, the offense may need to go in a different direction with using McDougle on a more regular (possibly full-time) basis).

Logan Shea might be the best athlete on the team. He is the most consistent threat at receiver and potentially could be the best RB. Plus if he had stayed at DB (a position he played on varsity as a freshman and sophomore), he might be one of the best defensive players on the team. If needed, putting Shea at RB can potentially be a successful move. That might be the most effective way to utilize Shea, Baird, and Floriea (three guys that normally play two slot receiver positions) all at the same time.
Varney Spansel, though only a sophomore, looked good vs. Glenville and also vs. Massillon. With both regular RBs injured, Spansel and McDougle would be a good 1-2 punch until they return, especially since the next few weeks are the weaker part of the schedule. I still worry about Shea's durability if moved to RB full-time.

It will be hard to keep Spansel out of the line-up next year. Hopefully, Kipp can play QB next year because Floriea will be too valuable in the slot with the current starting WRs all being seniors.
Old 09-10-17, 09:27 PM
All American

Does Strongsville still have an all-grass field?
Old 09-10-17, 09:36 PM
All World

tom 48 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardzFan1 View Post
Does Strongsville still have an all-grass field?
Pat Catan's is artificial surface.

http://ohiostadiums.com/stadium.php?id=1273
Old 09-10-17, 09:41 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Varney Spansel, though only a sophomore, looked good vs. Glenville and also vs. Massillon. With both regular RBs injured, Spansel and McDougle would be a good 1-2 punch until they return, especially since the next few weeks are the weaker part of the schedule. I still worry about Shea's durability if moved to RB full-time.

It will be hard to keep Spansel out of the line-up next year. Hopefully, Kipp can play QB next year because Floriea will be too valuable in the slot with the current starting WRs all being seniors.
Good points. Spansel should have a chance to be an every down back next year. Saj could possibly slide to the slot in 2018. Considering the competition the next four games, I expect the offense to look extremely good. Some of it might be false gold, but it would still be good to build some momentum on both sides of the ball.

If McDougle gets the ball regularly the next stretch of games, I predict he will average close to 10 yards a carry and really light up teams like Strongsville, Brunswick, Medina, and Shaker.

No idea on how serious the injuries are to the other backs, but the good news is that this team has a lot of depth at RB and WR. Apparently at LB too as they haven't taken a step back in light of losing three-year starting LB (Dominic Shelley) in Week 1.
Old 09-20-17, 09:27 AM
All Yappi

Triv won his 100th league game as coach of Mentor last week against Strongsville, his 175th career victory.

http://www.news-herald.com/sports/20...onference-game
Old 09-20-17, 10:36 AM
All Ohio

Wildcats1886
Where did Triv coach before Mentor? I'm honestly surprised that's only his 100th victory for the Cards, it feels like he's had more. What was his first season roaming the sidelines at Mentor?
Old 09-20-17, 12:02 PM
All Yappi

Mentor Cardinals Football 2017

I don't know that he coached before Mentor. He started as head coach in 1997

It's 100th conference game victory. So all the out of conference wins and playoff wins aren't counted. Mentor only had 4 league games in the lel many of years

Old 09-20-17, 12:58 PM
All Ohio

Wildcats1886
Bonehead move - I totally misread the post above. 175 total victories at Mentor makes a lot more sense. Mea culpa.
Old 09-21-17, 08:29 AM
Freshman

Bayside Tigers is on a distinguished road
I want to say that he was at Riverside before Mentor but I could be wrong.
Old 09-21-17, 12:50 PM
Junior Varsity

FightingCardinal is on a distinguished road
Triv was at Madison for two years before coming to Mentor. He was an assistant under Dick Kirschbaum and eventually took over for Mike Pavlansky prior to the 1997 season.
Old 09-21-17, 01:12 PM
All District

marathon345 is on a distinguished road
I believe Triv started at Mentor as an assistant in the late 80's. He moved to Riverside as an assistant. Possibly defensive coordinator under Anderson. He hiring at Mentor was a fluke.Pavlansy quit in June and they had to scramble to find someone and Triv was brought in as interim head coach for 1997.
Old 09-26-17, 10:34 PM
All American

After seeing Mentor win 62-0 vs. Brunswick, I'd have to say that this is the worst Brunswick team I have ever seen play Mentor. Brunswick put up very little resistance in this game. I am thinking that Medina will have to be more competitive in this week's game.
Old 09-27-17, 09:30 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
After seeing Mentor win 62-0 vs. Brunswick, I'd have to say that this is the worst Brunswick team I have ever seen play Mentor. Brunswick put up very little resistance in this game. I am thinking that Medina will have to be more competitive in this week's game.
I think it will be a stronger effort from the opponent this week. Mentor looked extremely sharp on both sides of the ball against Brunswick. The opponent had a lot to do with it. But I don't want to sell Mentor short either. They executed extremely well. I am curious to see who will get the bulk of the carries at RB this week. Edmond has been the starter all year. Injury provided opportunity for McDougle - and boy has he shined.

The next two weeks (Medina/Shaker) are the calm before the storm. Solon and Euclid will be a grind in back-to-back weeks. I wish the schedule spread those two out a little more.
Old 09-27-17, 12:40 PM
All Region

MENTORFBALL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think it will be a stronger effort from the opponent this week. Mentor looked extremely sharp on both sides of the ball against Brunswick. The opponent had a lot to do with it. But I don't want to sell Mentor short either. They executed extremely well. I am curious to see who will get the bulk of the carries at RB this week. Edmond has been the starter all year. Injury provided opportunity for McDougle - and boy has he shined.

The next two weeks (Medina/Shaker) are the calm before the storm. Solon and Euclid will be a grind in back-to-back weeks. I wish the schedule spread those two out a little more.
It's great to see McDougle's performance. He looks quick & agile, with a nose for the end zone.

Ongoing, we may see McDougle get a majority of the carries, with Edmond becoming more of a goal-line back? Mix in Shea getting a few jet sweeps per game and our running game all of a sudden looks fantastic.
Old 09-29-17, 03:26 PM
All American

Last week, Edmond still looked hurt as he limped toward the end of a long run in the second series, scoring on the next play. If Edmond is not 100%, I would look to rest him the next two weeks and let him get healthy -- or at least cut his carries and use McDougle and Spansel.
Old 10-01-17, 10:33 PM
All American

Good win vs. Medina. Tatarunas threw the ball well.

Potter, though he did not dominate as much as last week, had another solid game. He visited Ohio State last Saturday and Urban Meyer said he better come there. Yet, Meyer still has not offered him a scholarship. He just got offers from UNC and NC State.
Old 10-08-17, 09:56 PM
All American

A win is a win, but Mentor trailed Shaker Hts. early because of a couple early fumbles. Still, winning 45-27 shows that the pass defense is still a problem. Good to face some adversity, but will need to play better vs. Solon and the following week vs. Euclid. If Mentor can put up their 47 points per game average, Solon will have a hard time keeping up. Solon has a speedster that can give Mentor major problems. Should be a fun game to be at.
Old 10-09-17, 11:59 AM
All Yappi

If Mentor wants to have a real shot at competing to win the region, they need to win the next two games against Solon and Euclid. St Igantius and St Edward are clearly the two at the top. McKinley probably isn't too far behind. Mentor could separate themselves from the group of Stow, Jackson, Euclid, and Solon pretty well during the next two weeks and move closer to the upper echelon group.

Not to mention that winning the next two games will provide big computer point gets. It will secure a home game, keep away from Ignatius/Eds in the first round (and possibly the second round), and gives them the best opportunity to be in a regional final...something they haven't "technically" done since 2013. In 2014, Mentor did make it to Week 13 - but that was in the two region system and thus they technically didn't make the Region 1 final (which was also the state semifinal).

The previous four weeks have been mixed results. For one thing, the middle part of the schedule included competition that is way down from Weeks 1-3 and 8-9. The Brunswick win was flawless. Strongsville and Shaker put up some level of a fight, but Mentor came out on top. Solon and Euclid will be a challenge. Sure, Solon has some offensive woes. Euclid is dealing with a backup QB. Mentor is and should be the favorites in both games. Now they need to go out and execute. Looking forward to the next two games.
Old 10-12-17, 11:39 AM
All Yappi

Mentor/Solon this week. These two have a great history together with lots of big games. Solon is on a two-game winning streak. I would hate to see it get to three. Dating back to 2000, the regular season series is tight with Mentor holding a 9-8 advantage. The big difference is Mentor is 4-0 against the Comets in the playoffs (2002, 2006, 2007, 2011).

Solon is coming off a 33-28 loss to Euclid after the Comets made a furious second half comeback. Not having seen them play this year, I don't have a whole to to go by besides box scores, articles, and what I read on here. It seems that Solon's offense has not been able to stand out. Using multiple QB's can often be a culprit. Solon has scored more than 28 just once this season. Mentor has scored more than 28 every week...averaging a shade over 45 ppg. It is no secret that Mentor's achilles heal is on defense. As long as they can be somewhat productive (holding Solon near their season high...I know, low expectations)...Mentor should win.

Mentor has had a few easy weeks in a row. Hopefully that doesn't come back to bite them as they take a big step up in competition this week. Playing in Solon won't be much of an issue. Mentor has done well at Stewart Field over the years, winning four of their last six tries.
Old 10-13-17, 10:07 PM
All American

Great comeback win for Mentor -- 38-34. Despite throwing 4 INTs, Tatarunas took them down the field for a last-minute TD, along with the help of the Mentor defense getting a much-needed stop. Now next week's Euclid game will determine the league champs.