Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-18-17, 05:30 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike45069 View Post
Looking ahead, can Fairfield beat Mason or Sycamore? Their ceiling is 7-3 (colerain) and their floor is probably 5-5. I'm guessing they need 6 wins for a playoff Game? Haven't seen sycamore or mason this year, just wondered if they're beatable.
The good news is that FF can absolutely beat Mason & Sycamore. The bad news is that FF can absolutely lose to both Mason & Sycamore. My sense is that the three teams are pretty close in overall strength. Each team does some stuff very well and other stuff not so well.

I'm thinking that if the Indians finish 6 - 4 they will be on the playoff bubble. If they can finish 7 - 3 I'm confident they will be in. For the latest Harbin standings check here:

http://www.joeeitel.com/hsfoot/regio...on=4&year=2017

One thing that seems to be emerging in FF is that they are beginning to take on a run first mentality. With the emergence of a couple of sophomore backs and a very big offensive line the Indians have been running the ball better. If they can maintain this, going forward they will be a tough out for anybody.
Old 09-18-17, 08:30 PM
All American

Carl Rick is on a distinguished road
Think that group of 3 is the interesting part of the GMC this season. If any other team can beat one of them it is the Lakotas.
Old 09-18-17, 08:39 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthwestOhioGuy17 View Post
Lakota West, New Miami emerge from ranks of the winless

http://www.journal-news.com/sports/p...AJOY37ocyjcwL/
So is one of Larry's goals that they never want their most recent game to be their best game? I would hope that is exactly what you want....but that's ok
Old 09-19-17, 09:06 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Rick View Post
Think that group of 3 is the interesting part of the GMC this season. If any other team can beat one of them it is the Lakotas.
And two (Mason & FF) of those three still get a crack at Colerain. Now don't get me wrong I suspect that the Mason/Colerain & FF/Colerain games will follow the same pattern as the Sycamore/Colerain game - a fired up Cardinal team wanting to resoundingly demonstrate who rules the GMC will shred both programs. The Cards will be aided by the mental state of the Comets & Indians which will vary from nervous anticipation of a beat down or overly enthusiastic play that leads to mistakes & poor execution.

But if there's any truth to the Cards supposed vulnerability (and I'm not buying into it) FF & Mason appear to be the only ones left in the conference who in THEORY could exploit it. Of course for there to even be a buzz before either schools game with Colerain, FF & Mason must take care of business and win the games between now and their future battle with the Cards. And given the inconsistent play of both teams that is not a given.
Old 09-20-17, 12:12 PM
All American

Anyone think OH can beat East or West can beat Mason?
Old 09-20-17, 12:26 PM
All American

SouthwestOhioGuy17 is on a distinguished road
Fairfield-Princeton

Fairfield-Princeton football: Krause, Daniels together again

http://www.journal-news.com/sports/f...lwj5M8IVgdgXM/
Old 09-20-17, 12:35 PM
All Ohio

OUcats82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I can see West and Oak Hills both being able to get the win.
I chose East and West in the GMC pick'em thread.

Every now and again West pulls it all together to score a win that maybe doesn't seem likely. These are the two games I see being the most competitive/evenly matched.

Mason's offense being more run oriented should allow West to maybe limit the scoring. Oak Hills threw the ball 50+ times against West according to the game stats. That's going to take the wind of out most defenses having to run around that much. West may come in with a little more confidence and swagger having notched their first win, even if it was against Oak Hills.

Mason has much to play for in this game as they are only one game out of the lead right now and don't want to slip any further to stay on track for the next week against Colerain. Could them perhaps looking ahead to week 6 be an advantage to West? Afterall the Firebirds are 1-1 in conference play too and could rally their season some yet.

I think East should win by 10 +but the biggest wild card in this one is if Oak Hills can put up quick scores. If they could jump out early by say two TDs that would really put East behind the 8 ball with the offense they run. I see them moving the chains 3-4 yards at a time, slowly letting their air out of the Highlander defense.
Old 09-20-17, 03:40 PM
All American

Middletown-Sycamore

Young Middies seeking consistency, first win against Sycamore

http://www.journal-news.com/sports/p...VWl4ojwfQXorJ/
Old 09-20-17, 04:06 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthwestOhioGuy17 View Post
Fairfield-Princeton football: Krause, Daniels together again

http://www.journal-news.com/sports/f...lwj5M8IVgdgXM/
SWG17, thanks for posting these articles! They are great especially with the video links. It's nice to hear what the coaches have to say before a game and I like that I can get a sense for who some of the top players are.
Old 09-20-17, 04:09 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I think either could spring the upset this Friday and I would add Princeton potentially beating FF to your list. And while I picked East, Mason & Fairfield in the pick-um I'm pretty sure at least one of those teams will lose I just hope it isn't FF.
Old 09-20-17, 04:11 PM
All American

Princeton gets a dose of reality this week, just like East did last week. I'm not sure West can score enough points to beat Mason.
Old 09-20-17, 04:38 PM
All Yappi

DonMagicRon is on a distinguished road
Fairfield could still win this conference
Old 09-20-17, 05:59 PM
Varsity

onehand is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMagicRon View Post
Fairfield could still win this conference
That would require them to beat Sycamore, Colerain and Mason. I don't see that happening.
Old 09-22-17, 07:35 AM
All Yappi

Happy game day!

Question for tonight's games: how big of a factor will the heat be? With temperatures hitting 90 and likely to be in the mid to upper 80's at KO and with high humidity, are we in for a cramp fest? Typically this kind of heat is worse on people after coming off a prolong cool period like we have. Depth is going to be important tonight.
Old 09-22-17, 08:40 AM
All Yappi

CardinalsFan is on a distinguished road
Colerain - Hamilton

Big Blue preparing for another strong Colerain squad

http://www.journal-news.com/sports/p...96iW8xbVSX4mO/

-CardianlsFan
Old 09-22-17, 09:06 AM
All Region

firehawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Yes I think Oak Hills could definitely go on to East and win.Last year they went in there and won 30-7.East aided them though quite a bit in that game with 5 turnovers.As far as West at Mason I am not sure West can score enough to win.Offense has struggled and though they played better last week that was against the worse defense in the conference in Oak Hills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-17, 08:22 PM
All American

CometCountry is on a distinguished road
Mason-- 31
Lakota West--0

Impressive shutout for the Comets
Old 09-22-17, 08:49 PM
All Ohio

CincyIllinifan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometCountry View Post
Mason-- 31
Lakota West--0

Impressive shutout for the Comets
Nice win for the Comets. Didn't expect them to win 31-0. Big game next week - wish it was a home game.
Old 09-22-17, 09:20 PM
All American

No surprises this week.
#1-Colerain
Gap
#2-4-FF, Mason, and SHS
Gap
#5-East
#6-Hamilton
#7-West
#8-Princeton
#9-Oak Hills
#10-Middletown
Some good match ups next week.
FF vs SHS, Mason vs Colerain, and East vs West
Old 09-22-17, 09:38 PM
All Yappi

The Fairfield defense smothered the Princeton offense tonight on their way to a workman like 27 - 0 victory.

* The FF defense has been playing very well the last few weeks and all three phases (D-line, LB's & secondary) of the defense were outstanding tonight.

* The FF offense remains a work in progress but they are getting better week by week. One thing is for sure they are a run first offense now and their big offensive line has been opening some nice holes between the tackles. Great defense and a good running game are a nice combination to have.

* It was my first trip to Princeton since the big remodel and I like the way the whole campus is laid out. It looks sharp and resembles a small college.

* Next week is a big game at Sycamore. I have to think this is a toss up with huge playoff implications.
Old 09-23-17, 01:20 AM
All American

Fairfield-Princeton

Fairfield rolls on in GMC, blanks Princeton 27-0

http://www.journal-news.com/sports/p...dsvDfmaKZWdqL/
Old 09-23-17, 08:05 AM
All Yappi

DonMagicRon is on a distinguished road
Seriously, can anybody answer a question? What in the heck is wrong with Lakota West?
Old 09-23-17, 09:25 AM
All American

CometCountry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Seriously, can anybody answer a question? What in the heck is wrong with Lakota West?
Well they've lost to 4 playoff teams by 14 (Elder), 21 (Centerville), 7 (Fairfield) and 31 (Mason)--they have big kids on the lines, but lack a passing game. They ran well between the 20's vs. Mason but couldn't finish any drives. Missed 2 field goals and eventually Mason wore them out in the 2nd half.

Still have a shot to get 3-4 wins in the 2nd half of the schedule, but 3-7 is a distinct possibility
Old 09-23-17, 03:29 PM
All Ohio

HSFB Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Coaching...Period...

They have talent and should be much more competitive than what they are.

They are better than Middletown but I think they will struggle vs. Princeton and Hamilton.

WEST should be able to squeak out a W vs. Princeton and Hamilton like they did vs. OH but it would not surprise me to see them finish 2-8
Old 09-23-17, 06:05 PM
All American

Larry always has good players and he has sold the notion that they play collegiate football because of him. In his defense, I am told he is a good guy who certainly cares about his players and works for them. That is the most important part of his position. I can attest that he puts in the time and works hard. I am told that other coaches don't believe they are well prepared on game night.
Old 09-23-17, 07:52 PM
Varsity

onehand is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Larry always has good players and he has sold the notion that they play collegiate football because of him. In his defense, I am told he is a good guy who certainly cares about his players and works for them. That is the most important part of his position. I can attest that he puts in the time and works hard. I am told that other coaches don't believe they are well prepared on game night.
Amen to caring about his players. My son played AGAINST Larry and he was still trying to help him find the right opportunity in college. Also, didn't see a lack of preparation in the games we played against West.
Old 09-25-17, 08:46 AM
All Yappi

IMO there are three big games in the GMC this week:

Fairfield versus Sycamore: This is part 2 of the Fairfield/Sycamore/Mason three way clash to see who will finish at #2 in the GMC. The Aves are 1 - 0 with their win over Mason but now face an improving FF team that may finally be playing up to it's talent level. I suspect this will be a low scoring defensive struggle.

Lakota East versus Lakota West: West may be down and out for the year but they could deal their step brother East a critical blow in trying to make the playoffs. On the other hand an East win and they're looking to have a decent chance to make the playoffs.

Mason versus Colerain: This is round 2 of the "can anyone knock the Cards off their perch as rulers of the GMC" contest? On PAPER, the Comets should give Colerain all they can handle. But as we've seen before the mental aspect can play a huge role in these types of games.
Old 09-25-17, 09:07 AM
All Yappi

Half-way point and Week 6

Ok, we have passed the half-way point of the season. How we lookin'?

CardinalsFan's GMC Power Ranking - through Week 5
1. Colerain - I think it was Fish82 that said it best, "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss." I guess that 0-2 start didn't really impact the GMC as much as some of us thought it might. Colerain is the class of the conference, once again, and it's not close. The Mason and Fairfield games should be interesting, and maybe even close, but neither school has enough to beat da Cards.

2. Fairfield - certainly rounding into form. Sitting with an identical W-L pattern as Colerain (LLWWW), they've overrun the last two opponents badly. The 2nd half of their season sees them on the road at Sycamore (Week 6) and Mason (Week 9) and playing host to the Cards (Week 8). If lotr10 says they could go 4-1, I'd believe him. But, he also thinks they could go 1-4, so....

3. Mason - Their 4 wins have come against teams that are a combined 4-16...YIKES!! Sora started off the year on fire with 175 yards against Springboro in week 1, and hasn't topped 73 yards in any contest since. Not feeling it's going to get much better this week against Colerain.

4. Sycamore - Was cruising along until they hit the Colerain buzz saw.

5. Lakota East - Their 4 defeated opponents have 3 wins...think about that. It is the most deceptive 4-1 I have ever seen. Their cumulative point differential is 0. Probably looking at 6-4 finish, best case scenario. RB Jack Dobrozsi is leading the conference with 156.8 YPG and has more TD's (16) than the next three leading rushers in the conference combined (13)! Stop him...stop East.

6-8. Hamilton, West, Princeton (no order) - these three teams are a combined 3-12...yuck....

9-10. Middletown & Oak Hills (no order) - 0-10 on the year. That won't hold as they play each other in week 9.

The games this week should be much better than last with the Colerain v. Mason and Fairfield vs. Sycamore games being the marquee matchups.

As a Colerain fan, I am more concerned with Fairfield than I am Mason. I don't think Mason can score enough to beat Colerain's defense.

If Fairfield has corrected their issues, they should beat Sycamore. For the Aves, this marks an end to the "tough" part of their schedule as their final four games are against Hamilton, Oak Hills, Lakota East and Princeton.

Thoughts? Agree or disagree?

-CardinalsFan
Old 09-25-17, 09:22 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalsFan View Post
Ok, we have passed the half-way point of the season. How we lookin'?

CardinalsFan's GMC Power Ranking - through Week 5
1. Colerain - I think it was Fish82 that said it best, "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss." I guess that 0-2 start didn't really impact the GMC as much as some of us thought it might. Colerain is the class of the conference, once again, and it's not close. The Mason and Fairfield games should be interesting, and maybe even close, but neither school has enough to beat da Cards.

2. Fairfield - certainly rounding into form. Sitting with an identical W-L pattern as Colerain (LLWWW), they've overrun the last two opponents badly. The 2nd half of their season sees them on the road at Sycamore (Week 6) and Mason (Week 9) and playing host to the Cards (Week 8). If lotr10 says they could go 4-1, I'd believe him. But, he also thinks they could go 1-4, so....

3. Mason - Their 4 wins have come against teams that are a combined 4-16...YIKES!! Sora started off the year on fire with 175 yards against Springboro in week 1, and hasn't topped 73 yards in any contest since. Not feeling it's going to get much better this week against Colerain.

4. Sycamore - Was cruising along until they hit the Colerain buzz saw.

5. Lakota East - Their 4 defeated opponents have 3 wins...think about that. It is the most deceptive 4-1 I have ever seen. Their cumulative point differential is 0. Probably looking at 6-4 finish, best case scenario. RB Jack Dobrozsi is leading the conference with 156.8 YPG and has more TD's (16) than the next three leading rushers in the conference combined (13)! Stop him...stop East.

6-8. Hamilton, West, Princeton (no order) - these three teams are a combined 3-12...yuck....

9-10. Middletown & Oak Hills (no order) - 0-10 on the year. That won't hold as they play each other in week 9.

The games this week should be much better than last with the Colerain v. Mason and Fairfield vs. Sycamore games being the marquee matchups.

As a Colerain fan, I am more concerned with Fairfield than I am Mason. I don't think Mason can score enough to beat Colerain's defense.

If Fairfield has corrected their issues, they should beat Sycamore. For the Aves, this marks an end to the "tough" part of their schedule as their final four games are against Hamilton, Oak Hills, Lakota East and Princeton.

Thoughts? Agree or disagree?

-CardinalsFan
Good observations CF. Building on a couple of your points:

The 0 - 2 starts by FF & Colerain have largely been forgotten as both teams have gone 3 - 0 in GMC play. When looking back at those OOC games the combined records of the teams FF & Colerain lost to is currently 17 - 3! With LS & Northmont losing close games to a very strong Winton Woods team and Northmont losing in OT to Wayne. While going 0 - 4 against these teams both the Cards & Indians kept the games close and could have won any of those contests with a few different bounces of the ball.

CF I know it looks like I'm sandbagging about the Indians possible record in the second half of the season, though I would say the spread is now 2 - 3 to 4 - 1 as I don't see them losing to Middletown or Oak Hills, but this team has a very fragile offense. By that I mean the FF offense could implode at any time during a game and start turning the ball over and going three & out over and over again. All of which would put serious pressure on their very good defense. On the other hand if they stay calm, execute and keep running the football like they have they will be a very tough out for anyone in the GMC including the Cards. That's why the Sycamore game is a good test because this will be the best team FF has played since their OOC schedule.
Old 09-25-17, 02:58 PM
All Yappi

Why is the FF vs. Sycamore game on Thursday this week? Is it on TV?

-CardinalsFan