Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-12-17, 08:14 AM
Freshman

BuckeyeR/T is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYaSometime View Post
One of those games with elation if you win, agony in defeat. After the fact you can enjoy it all, because you won!

Great win for Walsh, no doubt about it.
It did sting. Nice win for you guys. Congratulations
Old 09-12-17, 09:00 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Wowzers! We went from a projected winless or 1 win season to 6-4 and making the playoffs, all based on a QB switch and one win.
Old 09-12-17, 10:32 AM
All American

AjmBaseball1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Wowzers! We went from a projected winless or 1 win season to 6-4 and making the playoffs, all based on a QB switch and one win.
To be fair, the QB change did change the whole dynamic of that 1 game. It was like watching two different football teams.

With Cameron Mayes the offense went from 1 dimensional to fully functioning.

I compare it to switching from Brock Osweiler (Veteran QB, slow, minimal accuracy, big arm) to Russell Wilson (Athletic, can run read option, can escape pocket, can throw on the run)

Obviously neither of these HS QB's compare in talent to those I name above - that is just the skill sets they posses. They are totally different in how they play the game.

As we have seen in the past with Walsh - being 1 dimensional (specifically only being able to run the football) has killed them. Opponents stack the box and force Walsh to throw, which they have not been able to do.

I am not saying they are a playoff team. Heck - they may not win more than 3 games, that schedule is brutal. But there is a path. Do I think they get there? No. But I do think they manage to win a few more games that I initially thought if this kid stays healthy and learns quickly. He got a nice dose of Varsity football last Friday. This isn't Junior Varsity anymore though.
Old 09-12-17, 12:52 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjmBaseball1 View Post
To be fair, the QB change did change the whole dynamic of that 1 game. It was like watching two different football teams.

With Cameron Mayes the offense went from 1 dimensional to fully functioning.

I compare it to switching from Brock Osweiler (Veteran QB, slow, minimal accuracy, big arm) to Russell Wilson (Athletic, can run read option, can escape pocket, can throw on the run)

Obviously neither of these HS QB's compare in talent to those I name above - that is just the skill sets they posses. They are totally different in how they play the game.

As we have seen in the past with Walsh - being 1 dimensional (specifically only being able to run the football) has killed them. Opponents stack the box and force Walsh to throw, which they have not been able to do.

I am not saying they are a playoff team. Heck - they may not win more than 3 games, that schedule is brutal. But there is a path. Do I think they get there? No. But I do think they manage to win a few more games that I initially thought if this kid stays healthy and learns quickly. He got a nice dose of Varsity football last Friday. This isn't Junior Varsity anymore though.
I gotcha AJM. I just wanted to yank that Warrior chain a little.
Old 09-12-17, 01:33 PM
All American

Quote:
I gotcha AJM. I just wanted to yank that Warrior chain a little.
Chain officially yanked.

Am I the conductor of the new Warriors hype train? Uh oh, what did I get myself into?!
Old 09-17-17, 07:15 AM
All American

Walsh moves to 2-2 on the year after beating St Francis (NY) 34-14.

Massillon Perry on deck.
Old 09-17-17, 10:21 AM
All Yappi

perry1480 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Walsh moves to 2-2 on the year after beating St Francis (NY) 34-14.

Massillon Perry on deck.
For better or worse Perry got shellacked by Jackson so either Wakefield will fire them up to play to their potential or they don't have much potential to begin with... my thought is that they have potential and hopefully they start playing up to it. They have skill and speed... a small line but that's pretty typical for Perry... right now they have to clean up the penalties. Nothing personal foul oriented... holding and false

At any rate it seems like this game is more interesting than we all thought it would be this year. Looking forward to it!
Old 09-17-17, 07:19 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry1480 View Post
For better or worse Perry got shellacked by Jackson so either Wakefield will fire them up to play to their potential or they don't have much potential to begin with... my thought is that they have potential and hopefully they start playing up to it. They have skill and speed... a small line but that's pretty typical for Perry... right now they have to clean up the penalties. Nothing personal foul oriented... holding and false

At any rate it seems like this game is more interesting than we all thought it would be this year. Looking forward to it!
Jackson beat Walsh in their 2nd scrimmage. That's the only common opponent for these two teams.

Walsh is riding back to back wins into this game and is starting to build some momentum behind its new QB. This would be a big win for WJ from an L2 perspective. Perry should win at least 7 games this year.
Old 09-18-17, 08:18 AM
All American

Don't want to move away from the discussion against Perry this week - but doing some look ahead at the WJ schedule.

Padua should be 5-0 when they head to Parma to face the Bruins in a few weeks.

NDCL should beat Cleveland Heights this week, then they have a dogfight against Benedictine. They will be either 5-1 or 6-0 when Walsh faces the Lions at Conway.

Then the rivalry game against Hoban. Short and simple - probably not a winnable game. This could end up being a good "moral victory" for Walsh if they can keep it close and carry momentum going forward. Hoban will be 6-1 or 5-2 going into this game.

Walsh then gets Benedictine who is off to a good start. Luckily, Walsh gets the Bengals at Conway (Much to the dismay of Bengal fans). Something tells me this will be a must win for Walsh if they want to entertain the thoughts of playoffs.

Walsh then closes the season at Lake Catholic. Tough to gauge how good the Cougars are at this point. 2-2 with wins against Holy Name and Cleveland Central Catholic. Could also end up being a must win for Walsh if they slip up before the last game of the year.

With this schedule - 6 wins may be able to get Walsh in the playoffs with the right combination of wins and some luck.

All starts this week vs. Perry. Have to ride the momentum of the last 2 weeks.
Old 09-18-17, 08:26 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Looks like Walsh found some offense. Not sure if the past two opponents are a good gauge if this is a playoff worthy team but the Perry game will tell us a lot more about where the Warriors stand heading into league play.
Old 09-18-17, 10:06 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Looks like Walsh found some offense. Not sure if the past two opponents are a good gauge if this is a playoff worthy team but the Perry game will tell us a lot more about where the Warriors stand heading into league play.
Agree.
Old 09-18-17, 12:36 PM
All American

Irish60 is on a distinguished road
It's good to see Walsh taking steps back towards relevance. And even better to see them moving towards playoff contention! It's much more entertaining when Hoban, Walsh and St. V are all rolling!
Old 09-18-17, 12:50 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
It's good to see Walsh taking steps back towards relevance. And even better to see them moving towards playoff contention! It's much more entertaining when Hoban, Walsh and St. V are all rolling!
The last 2 weeks have been quite the breath of fresh air. I think we can all agree that Walsh hasn't quite reached Hoban or SVSM status; however, I think it is safe to say the WJ faithful are happy they look to be heading in the right direction.

Honestly amazing what having a competent QB can do to a program.

As mentioned previously in this thread - this is a big week for the 2017 Walsh team. A win would be massive for playoff implications. Would also be riding a 3 game winning streak into conference play. That goes a long way for this group of kids. They have not seen many winning streaks or playoff talk.
Old 09-18-17, 01:01 PM
All Yappi

This is actually could be a good match up for Walsh, the Warriors tend to struggle with programs that have a balanced attack with team speed.
Old 09-18-17, 04:13 PM
All Region

hoban2020 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The last 2 weeks have been quite the breath of fresh air. I think we can all agree that Walsh hasn't quite reached Hoban or SVSM status; however, I think it is safe to say the WJ faithful are happy they look to be heading in the right direction.

Honestly amazing what having a competent QB can do to a program.

As mentioned previously in this thread - this is a big week for the 2017 Walsh team. A win would be massive for playoff implications. Would also be riding a 3 game winning streak into conference play. That goes a long way for this group of kids. They have not seen many winning streaks or playoff talk.

I've got to say it's better when your rivals are good, else it isn't a rivalry. Hoban-Walsh games were far better to watch when they could go either way.

The last 2 years haven't been pretty and honestly last year it looked like Walsh had little talent. If they've improved themselves from within by getting better players walking the halls to show up for football, that's great.

Walsh posters - if this new QB kid has seemingly brought some energy to the team the last 2 weeks, why didn't the coaching staff have him going from the start? It's not like any high school sports aren't year-round ventures these days and they didn't know what they had. Politics? Seniority?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-17, 04:47 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoban2020 View Post
I've got to say it's better when your rivals are good, else it isn't a rivalry. Hoban-Walsh games were far better to watch when they could go either way.

The last 2 years haven't been pretty and honestly last year it looked like Walsh had little talent. If they've improved themselves from within by getting better players walking the halls to show up for football, that's great.

Walsh posters - if this new QB kid has seemingly brought some energy to the team the last 2 weeks, why didn't the coaching staff have him going from the start? It's not like any high school sports aren't year-round ventures these days and they didn't know what they had. Politics? Seniority?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess is Seniority. And I don't mean that in a negative way. He is a captain as well as a Senior. He was also the QB for most of last season. The team needed a spark and they made the change needed to provide that. So far, it has worked.
Old 09-19-17, 01:17 PM
All Yappi

Maybe I missed this buried in the pages of this thread but does Walsh have a girl kicking for the varsity this year? I saw a Tweet that Caroline Flesser was special teams player of the week for the Warriors. Good for her.
Old 09-19-17, 01:24 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Maybe I missed this buried in the pages of this thread but does Walsh have a girl kicking for the varsity this year? I saw a Tweet that Caroline Flesser was special teams player of the week for the Warriors. Good for her.
That is accurate. They actually carry 3 kickers. Justin Smith is the main kicker; however, Caroline Flesser is used in some instances.

Other than Caroline, Kiera Sarka also kicks. Both play on the Walsh Women's soccer team.
Old 09-20-17, 08:01 AM
All American

I'm taking Walsh in the matchup vs. Perry with a score of 21-14.

Hoping they ride the momentum of their back to back wins and QB change.
Old 09-20-17, 02:35 PM
All District

Money Ball is an unknown quantity at this point
How is the LB- RB Frisone kid doing? I recall watching him when he was younger and was pretty solid.
Old 09-20-17, 02:44 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money Ball View Post
How is the LB- RB Frisone kid doing? I recall watching him when he was younger and was pretty solid.
He is having a good year on both sides of the ball.

He ran for over 200 yards last week against St Francis (NY)
Old 09-21-17, 09:39 AM
All World

BIG ED is on a distinguished road
Perry's run defense is very stout. The most yards allowed in 4 games was last week....25.
While they returned 3 DB's from last year, they had a hard time with Jackson's QB/WR combo. Which most teams Jackson has played have had a problem with so far.
I understand some personnel changes took place this week for the Panthers and tweaking of their scheme. If the Warriors want to win, they'll have to throw effectively. Not sure how often Walsh has seen the wing t offense, it can be a problem, especially trying to have your scout team run it the way Perry does. I saw Walsh at a passing scrimmage at Northwest, but those aren't a true gage of much.
Looking for a good game.
Old 09-21-17, 09:40 AM
All World

BIG ED is on a distinguished road
Pic of our Stadium. Good sized visitors stands. Not to far from the field. Concession stand and restrooms in the scoreboard end zone. New video board with replay screen and sound system installed last August.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1007.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1801  
Old 09-21-17, 09:57 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED View Post
Pic of our Stadium. Good sized visitors stands. Not to far from the field. Concession stand and restrooms in the scoreboard end zone. New video board with replay screen and sound system installed last August.
Very cool stadium.

This week is a big test for Walsh. They will find out if they are a playoff team or just a sub .500 team really quick.
Old 09-22-17, 06:52 PM
All American

17-0 Perry @ half.

Not good for WJ.
Old 09-23-17, 07:22 AM
All American

Walsh loses 31-0.

Looks like I may have jumped the gun on the playoff talk.

Old 09-23-17, 01:48 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Walsh loses 31-0.

Looks like I may have jumped the gun on the playoff talk.

Ya think? LOL. Hang in there AJM!
Old 09-24-17, 06:53 AM
All American

Quote:
Ya think? LOL. Hang in there AJM!
Just when I thought it'd be a fun season... ugh.
Old 09-24-17, 07:16 AM
All District

fac974 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thoughts on this week?
Old 10-09-17, 12:35 PM
All Yappi

Well, it looks like the wheels have come off of the Warrior wagon. After energizing wins in weeks 3 and 4, the Warriors have been throttled in consecutive weeks by Perry, Padua and NDCL. They have uphill battles left against Hoban, Benedictine and MLC. Any thoughts? Will the natives get (more) restless with another ugly season on Wyoga Lake?