Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-09-17, 08:31 AM
All District

Money Ball is an unknown quantity at this point
Kenmore Garfield

Way to go APS! THIS is exactly what anyone who knows anything told you would happen by giving the reigns to Coach Boyd. 5-25 in 3 years at Kenmore and showing absolutely no improvement over those years, then giving him the reigns to a school in the middle of a transition? That is like putting a multi-millionaire with absolutely no political experience in the White House and.........well, never mind that, but.... follow me here...

GAVE the head coaching position to a coach who has a stellar 3 year head coaching career with a record of 5-25, in the midst of a school combining effort that APS threw together haphazardly at best, trying to blend kids together from two communities when he has had no success at all.

Then.....

While every other football program, soccer team, and even the bands were practicing and doing drills the first week of August, Coach Boyd and K-G were at a camp getting to know each other, playing Frisbee, listening to speakers, making smores and singing Kumbuyah around the campfire. Now THAT is not something that could have been done in June or July, could it?

But hey, there may be hope, they could be improving. 49-0 in week 1, then 54-6 (they did score, afterall and the point differential went down by a point!), and now ONLY 26-0 in Week 3. Hey, they even gained 74 freaking yards this week! THAT is something considering I think they didn't even have 100 yards in the first 2 games COMBINED!

But then my mind starts really thinking.....

OH NO, I just got to thinking..... I usually went around Kenmore Stadium because those Kenmore Koneys! Let me tell you, they are not anything to mess with. They are Fo' Rill, y'all!! If there is anything I can offer as proof of their deliciousness other than the brown stains in my tidy-whiteys, it is the fact that there are many people willing to go to George Brode Field to pay the admission fee for the sole purpose of mowing down 4 or 5 of these 6-inches of Heaven. Most of those aforementioned people never even ventured into the stands to watch the abomination of what is occurring on the field. BUT NOW....... maybe some of these people will start to pay the price of admission and NOT buy any Kenmore Koneys and actually watch the product on the field to get their weekly cleanse because from what it appears, the product that Coach Boyd is "building", probably will make a lot of people intestines churn out a mess faster than a Kenmore Koney ever has!

I will make this final comment. In no way do I claim that the kids that are out there trying for this abomination (while they are obviously making plenty of mistakes in the course of a game). It falls squarely on APS, the Athletic Department (which is pretty much just a group of people that collect paychecks for doing as little as possible, and the Administration at Garfield for not having the cahoonas to stand up for who they WANTED and felt was best for the students and football players.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-17, 08:53 AM
All Ohio

Hitnrun is on a distinguished road
You actually sound like you believe the PS at some point in recent years actually cared about the direction of not only their football programs, but most sports in general, lol. I'm old enough to remember some great Kenmore teams (ie the Buckey boys, etc) way back in the seventies. There was a time when the City series fielded so many deep talented teams, coaches. So sad that these once proud programs have been reduced to nothing but road kill for any team outside of the City Series. I also am embarrassed for those atop the APS for the direction they have taken these once excellent programs. But, the bottom line is that there is a dearth of talent on these squads, and until you can remedy that issue, things in the city are unlikely to change. Too many schools, not enough talent, bottom line sadly.
Old 09-10-17, 02:07 PM
All District

Absolutely. No, I have believed for years, like the famous poster Tha Bank used to say, the APS doesn't care about sports at all. IF they could, they would shut them all down except for Buchtel, Ellet and Firestone, the only schools they give a crap about in the district. The only thing they care about is that their checks still get deposited into their banks 2X a month, after that, they will lie to the public and to people's faces, just as Rick James, oops, I mean David James has done numerous times through the Kenmore and Garfield merger. I am still willing to take a bet on a bag of Doritos that there WILL NOT be a new school built at the site of the existing Garfield High. We will wait and see.
Old 09-10-17, 02:37 PM
All Ohio

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Kenmore-Garfield football may have put out a horrendous product its first season. That I will agree. But it is not due to want of talent. Now Im not saying their school here is a vast reservoir of football talent. But I am saying that they certainly were capable of far more than they actually put out on the field the first 3 games.. Shame on APS. Ive always had my criticisms on the way they managed some of their schools that were not Firestone- you know, the area the school board members overwhelmingly hail from. Whose coaching the Kenmore-Garfield basketball team this year? Because Kenmore put out a decent team last year actually.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Last edited by CoventryTrackXCguy; 09-10-17 at 03:24 PM.
Old 09-10-17, 03:51 PM
All World

afwpatfire is on a distinguished road
Is it possible to combine two schools and have a worse product than you had from the two schools individually?

Yes, I think this has proven it. You would think with the combination that they would be at least slightly better, guess not.
Old 09-10-17, 04:01 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by afwpatfire View Post
Is it possible to combine two schools and have a worse product than you had from the two schools individually?

Yes, I think this has proven it. You would think with the combination that they would be at least slightly better, guess not.
It would seem that the biggest problem here is leadership.

The quote that comes to mind here is:

A competent leader can get efficient service from poor troops, while on the contrary an incapable leader can demoralize the best of troops.

- General John J. Pershing
Old 09-10-17, 04:23 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
I wonder how many Kenmore-Garfield kids go to Buchtel, East, Coventry, a private or another school.

The last couple of APS hires have hinted at a little laziness on APS' part. It seemed almost too easy to just appoint Boyd to the "new" school after Sax retired and long time Ellet assistant Shuman to replace Yost. Don't get me wrong. I hear they're both great guys. I'm just not sure they were the guys to grow, expand, develop or create a program.

I don't admire any of them. With decreased enrollments, suburban flight, private school recruiting, awful youth programs and no parental or booster support, it has to be tough. I can't fathom the uphill fight a guy like Sonil Haslem has every day just to put a team on the field every day.
Old 09-10-17, 11:55 PM
All American

MAROON&GOLDBLOOD
TRUST AND BELIEVE

that some coaches are great assistant coaches but not very good head guys. Being head coach is totally different.
Old 09-11-17, 03:55 AM
All District

believe what i c is on a distinguished road
One of the bottom lines is, the football team is struggling because the community is worried about the coach instead of the school. The 2 years Ellet was solid, the East community denounced the school and sent their kids to Ellet, because they didn't pick the coach they wanted, not saying Ellet was not solid before, but the East peewee players got them over the hump. What happens if those kids stayed at East to help start a program then? And true APS does not help, 5 players can transfer from Firestone anywhere they want except Buchtel? Wow, what kind of Bull is that? Instead of talking about the team and coaches, that community needs to rally around the team and help. It's not like Kenmore was consistently putting out a great product before Coach Boyd got there. And the South Akron community was calling for Bobby Sax's head for years because they were still running Babe Flossie's plays!!!!!!!! "Sometimes you have to be part of the struggle and part of the result.

I do believe there is a difference in head coaches and assistant coaches, but at the end of the day, the head coach has the EXACT same players as the assistant coaches. For example no college is going to scout old Garfield for a quarterback for handing off the ball all game on "crossbuck and 64 lead and 65 lead." So do we get on the qb coach? I am saying change takes a little time.
Old 09-11-17, 06:13 AM
All World

thepolster is on a distinguished road
Kids did not know the Xs and Os... South has athletes .. Couple bad apples bringing the team down during the game with Springfield.
Old 09-11-17, 07:14 AM
Fan of Eagle

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Quote:

Yes there is usually a boost in results the first year after a merger, primarily due to the increased number of returning starters.
Warren Harding won a state title in their first year after merging with Western Reserve.
Old 09-11-17, 05:05 PM
All District

Matt Kirsten will be the head basketball coach.

APS DEFINITELY too the easy route with both of the football coaching openings this past Spring. Shuman was not so much of a reach because he know all of the kids and he knows the community. As for Boyd, APS handed him this job and tried to make multiple excuses for not hiring someone that had no head coaching experience. You need to have a strong leader when 2 schools are combining, and this is probably the farthest from it.
Old 09-11-17, 06:04 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
.......The last couple of APS hires have hinted at a little laziness on APS' part. It seemed almost too easy to just appoint Boyd to the "new" school after Sax retired and long time Ellet assistant Shuman to replace Yost. Don't get me wrong. I hear they're both great guys. I'm just not sure they were the guys to grow, expand, develop or create a program.

I don't admire any of them. With decreased enrollments, suburban flight, private school recruiting, awful youth programs and no parental or booster support, it has to be tough. I can't fathom the uphill fight a guy like Sonil Haslem has every day just to put a team on the field every day.
FWIW, hiring of coaches is done at the building level, not by the district. Now it may be the principals took the easy way with these hires rather than choosing one who "were guys to grow, expand, develop or create a program."

Kenmore Garfield AKA Garmore High.
Old 09-11-17, 06:26 PM
All World

You would think the AD would have some input in that though and it would have to be approved by the board. I believe the coaches supervisor or boss is the AD.
Old 09-11-17, 06:31 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You would think the AD would have some input in that though and it would have to be approved by the board. I believe the coaches supervisor or boss is the AD.
ADs might sit in on interviews and put in a good word for a particular candidate, but I think it's often the principal who makes the decision, and then the superintendent makes the recommendation to the school board who approves the hire. The super or board could nix a hire, but the principal is in the most powerful position.
Old 09-11-17, 07:19 PM
All World

Interesting. Never knew how it worked is a District that had so many separate high schools under the same umbrella (APS).

Still strikes me as weird, the fact that the principal may have no experience in the sports world or coaching and at the same time be in a position to hire a coach.
Old 09-11-17, 07:52 PM
All American

Orangeman89
Quote:
Interesting. Never knew how it worked is a District that had so many separate high schools under the same umbrella (APS).

Still strikes me as weird, the fact that the principal may have no experience in the sports world or coaching and at the same time be in a position to hire a coach.

Exactly!
That's why the City Series is a joke for the most part when it comes to coaching hires.
I'm still fuming over the fact Ellet replaced a 64 year old man with one who is 68.
Almost 40 years without a single state playoff win. Ellet community deserves what they get for putting up with that crap.
I like to win so it doesn't sit well with me.
Old 09-11-17, 08:08 PM
All American

wildcat71 is on a distinguished road
Haven't seen this "new school" play. What uniforms are they using? Band uniforms, colors, mascot? Just wondering.
Old 09-11-17, 08:25 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYaSometime View Post
FWIW, hiring of coaches is done at the building level, not by the district. Now it may be the principals took the easy way with these hires rather than choosing one who "were guys to grow, expand, develop or create a program."

Kenmore Garfield AKA Garmore High.
I get that Seeya. When I referenced APS, I was referencing everybody, the ADs, principals and system athletics administration.

I haven't seen either team. Sounds like it is a down year for talent at Ellet. I have no idea if that is the case at K-G. I'd have to see them to tell if they a disorganized mess, which would tell me it's coaching, or just under-talented. From what Pollster and Money are saying, sounds like it may be the former. at K-G.
Old 09-12-17, 02:59 AM
All American

MAROON&GOLDBLOOD
TRUST AND BELIEVE:

COMMUNITY, COMMUNITY what community. Firestone Park has not been a community for years. The Park is a bunch of renters, who really do not care about the community. Plus they take the children elsewhere but APS. :thumbs:
Old 09-12-17, 06:28 AM
All World

thepolster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat71 View Post
Haven't seen this "new school" play. What uniforms are they using? Band uniforms, colors, mascot? Just wondering.
Garfield helmets ... jersey Garfield front and Kenmore on back. Kids deserve better.
Old 09-13-17, 04:32 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAROON&GOLDBLOOD View Post
TRUST AND BELIEVE:

COMMUNITY, COMMUNITY what community. Firestone Park has not been a community for years. The Park is a bunch of renters, who really do not care about the community. Plus they take the children elsewhere but APS. :thumbs:
While "The Park" is worrying about who is renting and who is buying, the Coventry vs. Kenmore game was packed with Kenmore faithfuls.
Old 09-13-17, 04:44 AM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepolster View Post
Garfield helmets ... jersey Garfield front and Kenmore on back. Kids deserve better.
THIS! In all aspects of the merger.
Old 09-13-17, 09:16 AM
All American

westa-k-ron1 is on a distinguished road
Merging two bad teams typcially does not make one good team. The stuff that the coaches in these communities have to deal with is much more than any keyboard coaches know about. Also with Kenmore you litterally have to go back 45-50 years to find the "Glory" years. Before the merger Kenmore had shrunk to under 500 kids and half the kids were not from the neighborhood. This is not adventageous for having a successful wins/loss record.

Wins and losses are important but IMO this position is about bringing together two teams/communities and helping steer young men towards a life of productivity. Those wins and lossess will be seen down the line and will be much more important than what this team does on friday nights/ saturday afternoons.
Old 09-13-17, 03:06 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa-k-ron1 View Post
Merging two bad teams typcially does not make one good team. The stuff that the coaches in these communities have to deal with is much more than any keyboard coaches know about. Also with Kenmore you litterally have to go back 45-50 years to find the "Glory" years. Before the merger Kenmore had shrunk to under 500 kids and half the kids were not from the neighborhood. This is not adventageous for having a successful wins/loss record.

Wins and losses are important but IMO this position is about bringing together two teams/communities and helping steer young men towards a life of productivity. Those wins and lossess will be seen down the line and will be much more important than what this team does on friday nights/ saturday afternoons.
Awesome answer!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-13-17, 03:22 PM
All World

No one said they should be good, just better.

Garfield was 3-7 last year and Kenmore was 2-8. They will probably be 1-9 or possibly 2-8. this year.
Old 09-13-17, 03:43 PM
All American

wildcat71 is on a distinguished road
What are school colors now? Is there a mascot? What uniforms are band members,cheerleaders using??
Old 09-13-17, 06:57 PM
All District

The decision for the coach for the G-K program was decided by the powers that be downtown, according to the principal. This is a guy that has been around sports most of his early career in education. He played at Garfield, coached under Coach McGee for many years, and understands what is necessary to operate a successful program. But once he hit the administration side, he changed.

How things went down with the previous coach was just plain unprofessional and showed a total lack of respect for a good guy who followed not just 1, but 2 Ohio coaching legends in Babe Flossie and Bill McGee. The main issues surrounding the decline of the program had to do with enrollment being decreased by the APS, from over 1000 to just over 600 last year. Sax did a nice job of keeping the program a positive experience for the kids, even as the wins weren't always what they all wanted. He spend countless hours organizing and developing ways to raise money for the program, as well as sharing it with other programs within the school.

During the interview process, it was very well known they wanted Sax to come back, even after having stringing him along for 3 months and showing no respect to him. The DoA even visited to see if he would reconsider. Not a word from the principal, though. Sax even tried to help out one of his former assistants, who despite being qualified, they were not going to let even interview for the job, but he got him an interview. HEck, the APS CREATED positions a few years back for 2 of the existing Head Coaches so they could be hired and not have the new state law regarding overtime pay for hourly employees keep them from having the job. Would they do the same for this young man? Nope! Because it wasn't Buchtel or, the prize of the APS, Firestone.

Anyway, the principal at Garfield was warned what would happen should the current coach be hired to lead this team, and it is coming to fruition. Rather than practicing during the first week of August like all other programs in Ohio, G-K was camping and singing and making Smores "getting to know each other". THAT was what the summer was for, Coach! And now, after being demolished by scores of 49-0, 54-6 and 26-0, they ddidn't need to practice Monday either. No need to work on blocking, tackling, or anything, right?

Money Ball OUT!
Old 09-14-17, 09:09 AM
All District

Maybe I was a little harsh last evening whe nI posted this. I mean, G-K appears to be getting better...... the point differential has gotten less each game, from 49, to 48, to 26... Baby Steps!!
Old 09-14-17, 09:49 AM
All Ohio

smash mouth 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money Ball View Post
Maybe I was a little harsh last evening whe nI posted this. I mean, G-K appears to be getting better...... the point differential has gotten less each game, from 49, to 48, to 26... Baby Steps!!
Alright MB, we get the point. From my understanding, Sax would have gotten the job if he would have interviewed for it. However, he did not.