Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-11-17, 10:47 AM
All District

ELMIKE2K2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
Speaking of wheels falling off... what the heck happened with Olentangy?!?!?
If they are depending on the back ups from last year stepping up this year then that could be atleast one reason for the wheels falling off. Last year Olentangy Orange's JVs blew them out by like five TDs. Granted Oranges JVs went 8 and 1
blowing out all 8 teams they won against, with the one lost coming on a missed Extra point against Liberty.
Old 09-11-17, 12:35 PM
Varsity

sscje is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycrane View Post
I 9u80ubgfvPick North just choked away { stupid penalties other gaffes } a win at Centerville who is good not great North with Jimmy football still can't get it right , gave up huge pass plays against an offense who doesn't really know how to do it? Coaching in flux different guys all the time no continuity, OFFENSE is OK defense can't cover anyone of course you lose to a team that . Sorry North you lose another two to three games
Harry, what is your synopsis as to how Central pissed 1 away to Fairmont?
Old 09-11-17, 12:38 PM
All World

Lambeau Fields is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscje View Post
Harry, what is your synopsis as to how Central pissed 1 away to Fairmont?
When did Central piss one away to Fairmont?
Old 09-11-17, 12:41 PM
Varsity

sscje is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigv View Post
i think trotwood beats central regardless ,even if it was week one,sounds like excuses to me
agreed
Old 09-11-17, 02:02 PM
All American

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
Never said PC pissed anything away , North did. Up 9 LATE , they give away a short field by miss hitting the kick which looked like an onside kick , Stupid Penalties { 15 Yarder was costly } and couldn't cover an onside kick .

Now you must give Centerville credit because they made some plays after the North Gaffe's , but North really handled the last few minutes extremely poorly , which is why I think it was a choke job . Up two scores late, against a team you are at the VERY least equal to is a choke job to me .

I do think schedule spot wise , TWM had an advantage , but again they might have won otherwise, who knows , I do know everyone from that area is going to say C-Ville is better than PN or PC isn't that good , just the way it is , Central Ohio teams in the play-offs and regular season have beaten Dayton and Cicni area teams they really have I know it's impossible to believe, but Dayton area teams don't always beat CO teams you can go to Joe Eitel to look at the history it really has happened you can look it up some of the games were even won handily { Of course a lot of luck of course} Some of these lucky games were featured in a Ripley's Believe it or not book , Some were also mentioned with the Miracle on ice victory
Old 09-11-17, 02:28 PM
All American

bigv is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Never said PC pissed anything away , North did. Up 9 LATE , they give away a short field by miss hitting the kick which looked like an onside kick , Stupid Penalties { 15 Yarder was costly } and couldn't cover an onside kick .

Now you must give Centerville credit because they made some plays after the North Gaffe's , but North really handled the last few minutes extremely poorly , which is why I think it was a choke job . Up two scores late, against a team you are at the VERY least equal to is a choke job to me .

I do think schedule spot wise , TWM had an advantage , but again they might have won otherwise, who knows , I do know everyone from that area is going to say C-Ville is better than PN or PC isn't that good , just the way it is , Central Ohio teams in the play-offs and regular season have beaten Dayton and Cicni area teams they really have I know it's impossible to believe, but Dayton area teams don't always beat CO teams you can go to Joe Eitel to look at the history it really has happened you can look it up some of the games were even won handily { Of course a lot of luck of course} Some of these lucky games were featured in a Ripley's Believe it or not book , Some were also mentioned with the Miracle on ice victory
I know,Coffman upset Springfield 42-7 a couple years ago...lol
Old 09-11-17, 02:34 PM
All American

I know all football fans are partial to their local area teams , There has been some good games over the years between the area's teams, good competition , sometimes I think " Some" fans go a bit too far with the bias and forget that the converse has happened at times as well .

Springfield -C-ville should be a good one , both teams are better this year than last year , solid improvement , hopefully a good crowd comes out with both undefeated , should be close, I'll be rooting for your boys Big -V
Old 09-11-17, 02:55 PM
All Ohio

The Dock is on a distinguished road
Good analysis, stió er, I mean Harry.

Put up or shut up year for Rob Carpenter, IMO.
Old 09-11-17, 03:00 PM
All American

bigv is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I know all football fans are partial to their local area teams , There has been some good games over the years between the area's teams, good competition , sometimes I think " Some" fans go a bit too far with the bias and forget that the converse has happened at times as well .

Springfield -C-ville should be a good one , both teams are better this year than last year , solid improvement , hopefully a good crowd comes out with both undefeated , should be close, I'll be rooting for your boys Big -V
Thanks
Old 09-11-17, 03:57 PM
All Region

Picktowncentral is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dock View Post

I've stopped counting the number of years this has been said...
Old 09-11-17, 04:08 PM
All American

that's a good one picktown, I have nothing against Carpenter at all , but he does feel like the tenured professor in terms of his job security , which is fine, because I always have believed that unless you KNOW you have or can get someone better for the job you don't fire the guy you have unless he's been a total failure .

I also think Carpenter if you factor all the Lancaster dynamics including the schedule and league they are in and where Lancaster is in terms of a talent base compared to the teams they play has done a pretty good job overall.

As a tenured prof I am sure he also has a prime parking spot and the " GOOD" cafeteria food lol
Old 09-11-17, 07:06 PM
All Region

sportfan97 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm hoping that the Gales aren't looking past Newark, in anticipation of Davidson next week.

Thoughts on Davidson/Liberty?

Newark has gotten us before during fair week when they were winless and we were in the mix for playoffs several years back.

People don't realize this is one of the oldest rivalries in Central Ohio. I can't find my records but I'm pretty sure they have played each other for over 100 years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-17, 07:15 PM
All Region

sportfan97 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Who outside of current Lancaster assistants would even want this job? Playing in the OCC Ohio every year against countless D1 talent when you don't get those same types of players or as many of them on a frequent basis?

Old 09-11-17, 07:23 PM
Varsity

D.Boone2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportfan97 View Post
Newark has gotten us before during fair week when they were winless and we were in the mix for playoffs several years back.

People don't realize this is one of the oldest rivalries in Central Ohio. I can't find my records but I'm pretty sure they have played each other for over 100 years now.

That would be a very surprising outcome based on Newark's season so far. Newark was blanked by Mount Vernon and remain winless, giving up 82 points so far to Zanesville, Mt. Vernon, and Marion Harding who are a combined 4-5. On the other hand, Lancaster's losses are to Springfield and DeSales which are top echelon teams.
Old 09-11-17, 07:35 PM
All World

Quote:
As a tenured prof I am sure he also has a prime parking spot and the " GOOD" cafeteria food lol
The ol' golf cart probably doesn't take up too much space. Just keep the keys away from Bruce Ward.
Old 09-11-17, 07:47 PM
All Region

Walt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapientia et veritas View Post
Reynoldsburg is generally underrated. They've got some serious speed and talent. And the D stuffed them five times on fourth down and the O got 3 TDs off those. Plus, the Raiders were probably mentally fired up after that epic collapse last season.
I wrote them off after the week one loss to New Albany...assumed it was the "same old 'burg."
Old 09-11-17, 07:52 PM
All American

Or you could just insert one of those car " Breathalyzers " to the ignition of the golf cart ?

Can you imagine if they put those things in all carts? 90 percent of golfers would be forced to walk the back-nine.
Old 09-11-17, 07:54 PM
All American

Trust me the 'Old Burg" is in there somewhere , it was just on hiatus it can be triggered at any time , they will almost assuredly lose one they should win before it's said and done
Old 09-12-17, 06:25 PM
All District

Big GLHS is on a distinguished road
AP Poll

.........always amusing the first week.......

1 St X
2 St Ig
3 Stow Munroe Falls
4 St Ed
5 Canton McKinley
6 Whitmer
7 Elder
8 Coffman
9 Fairmont
10 Centerville

11 Bradley
12 Orange
13 Springfield
14 THOMAS WORTHINGTON!
15 Wayne
16 Massillion Perry
Old 09-12-17, 06:35 PM
Varsity

KramericaIndustries is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
Speaking of wheels falling off... what the heck happened with Olentangy?!?!?
Catholic school defections certainly don't help, but already mentioned a few times they will be the weakest Olentangy this year. Which makes Darby's crushing defeat to them where they could barely manage a 1st down for over half the game that much more damning about where their program is. Tangy is looking at 6-4/5-5 and 3rd or 4th in the OCC Buckeye, which means Darby would probably finish 5th in that league, as I've been consistently saying all year, the win over South does nothing to change that likelihood.

Tangy's fit in the league coming more into context with tangential performances by teams like Grove City last week (who clearly has a highly questionable defense) and even Hilliard Davidson linking back to GC, Darby, and how outclassed they were by Bradley.

It seems the information and assumptions on South were definitely wrong, bought too much into what I heard people saying about the scrimmages and the results from their first game. The Darby win over South was completely about misunderstanding where the South team was as opposed to misunderstanding where Darby is.

As mentioned last week, Coffman folks can stop pretending the Olentangy game is some potential stumbling block, they are going to win easily.

Orange finds themselves in the unusual position of driver's seat in the OCC Buckeye. Liberty should improve and likely had a hangover off their loss, but Orange has an easy schedule and will cruise into the Tangy game 6-0, and should easily win that, especially with the good news that Harrison's knee is going to get better and he will only miss a couple weeks. The tomato cans they play don't stand a chance of scoring double digits and they wont be tested until the last 3 games of the season.

Liberty will clearly handle Davidson just fine this week, but hard to expect a win over Pick north the following week, they are playing some really good football right now.

OCC Ohio losses were understandable against big name out-of-conf schools, Reynoldsburg, as others said, simply a problem of coaching and discipline and they have plenty of tools to give just about anyone a game if they can not make mental mistakes. (Darby a shoe-in for 5th in that division too, FWIW).

Westy Central looms a dangerous game on everyone's schedule, would not surprise me to see them pull off an upset before the season is over.
Old 09-12-17, 07:42 PM
All American

darbydavidsonfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KramericaIndustries View Post
Catholic school defections certainly don't help, but already mentioned a few times they will be the weakest Olentangy this year. Which makes Darby's crushing defeat to them where they could barely manage a 1st down for over half the game that much more damning about where their program is. Tangy is looking at 6-4/5-5 and 3rd or 4th in the OCC Buckeye, which means Darby would probably finish 5th in that league, as I've been consistently saying all year, the win over South does nothing to change that likelihood.

Tangy's fit in the league coming more into context with tangential performances by teams like Grove City last week (who clearly has a highly questionable defense) and even Hilliard Davidson linking back to GC, Darby, and how outclassed they were by Bradley.

It seems the information and assumptions on South were definitely wrong, bought too much into what I heard people saying about the scrimmages and the results from their first game. The Darby win over South was completely about misunderstanding where the South team was as opposed to misunderstanding where Darby is.

As mentioned last week, Coffman folks can stop pretending the Olentangy game is some potential stumbling block, they are going to win easily.

Orange finds themselves in the unusual position of driver's seat in the OCC Buckeye. Liberty should improve and likely had a hangover off their loss, but Orange has an easy schedule and will cruise into the Tangy game 6-0, and should easily win that, especially with the good news that Harrison's knee is going to get better and he will only miss a couple weeks. The tomato cans they play don't stand a chance of scoring double digits and they wont be tested until the last 3 games of the season.

Liberty will clearly handle Davidson just fine this week, but hard to expect a win over Pick north the following week, they are playing some really good football right now.

OCC Ohio losses were understandable against big name out-of-conf schools, Reynoldsburg, as others said, simply a problem of coaching and discipline and they have plenty of tools to give just about anyone a game if they can not make mental mistakes. (Darby a shoe-in for 5th in that division too, FWIW).

Westy Central looms a dangerous game on everyone's schedule, would not surprise me to see them pull off an upset before the season is over.
So Davidson, Darby, Olentangy, Westerville South and Grove City all suck this year.

Thankfully Darby is in the absolute worst OCC division or sounds like they wouldn't have any wins at all this year.

I don't disagree with everything you say, but does seem like you go overboard trying to point out how bad Darby is.
Old 09-12-17, 09:27 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by KramericaIndustries View Post

It seems the information and assumptions on South were definitely wrong, bought too much into what I heard people saying about the scrimmages and the results from their first game. The Darby win over South was completely about misunderstanding where the South team was as opposed to misunderstanding where Darby is..
Throw in a reference to James Comey or the Russians and this passage could have come straight out of Hillary's new book....
Old 09-12-17, 10:25 PM
Varsity

KramericaIndustries is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by darbydavidsonfan View Post
So Davidson, Darby, Olentangy, Westerville South and Grove City all suck this year.

Thankfully Darby is in the absolute worst OCC division or sounds like they wouldn't have any wins at all this year.

I don't disagree with everything you say, but does seem like you go overboard trying to point out how bad Darby is.
Yes, of course I do, because so many people on here have gone so overboard to argue how good they are. There were at least 5 people who had them ranked 5th in their preseason top 10. And a couple loud-mouth homers who want to keep arguing it, so fine, we can keep arguing it.

There are certainly different and relative levels of "suck" in all those teams you lumped together, but at the end of the day, it is a terrible shame that someone like Darby gets to plow through the OCC Ragu and probably get a playoff bid, where a team like Reynoldsburg or Olentangy, who will probably be 6-4 or 5-5 and clearly much better than Darby, wont because their schedule is so much tougher.

I'm not saying that a 6-4 Reynoldsburg team deserves to go to the playoffs necessarily, but they would likely destroy an 8-2 Darby team. Same with Gahanna for that matter if they end up 6-4, which is certainly possible.

The problem is, making the playoffs like that then snowballs into future year arguments when you have yea-hoos like CTL yapping about playoff teams they had from 5 years ago, who no one cares about because they lost by 4 TDs in the 1st or 2nd round and never belonged there in the 1st place because there were several other teams who were better that played in tougher leagues.
Old 09-13-17, 09:43 AM
All Ohio

OCC GUY is an unknown quantity at this point
The OCC has been disappointing overall and early this year.
Old 09-13-17, 12:12 PM
Varsity

D.Boone2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCC GUY View Post
The OCC has been disappointing overall and early this year.
Limited agreement. I'd hoped PC and PN would have prevailed vs Dayton area teams. Alas, they came up short and the splash hoped for was not to be. Along the same lines, Lincoln came up just short v.s. Elder (GCS). Liberty: beaten by wounded Wayne team. Lancaster: boat-raced by Springfield.

On the plus side: PC beats two solid out of state opponents. Cathedral at home on the grass (nice... prefer grass) and Cass Tech on nuetral site.

I can only speak for myself on this next point (and no disrespect to the Wayne Warriors in the least): I'll take the Liberty loss, the PC set-back, and the PN whiff at C-Ville over the Pine-Richland debacle on ESPN. I don't intend to stir the pot by bringing this up. I'm merely trying to put the disappointment in perspective.

Referencing Cal Preps league ratings, today: OCC-Ohio ranked #3 (35.6), behind #1 rated GC-S (58.2), and #2 GWO-C (45). (For what that's worth).

Referencing Drew Pasteur: Looking strictly at DI school's top 25, the breakdown by leagues having member teams in the upper 25 (again, for what it's worth...):

GC-S: 3
Greater Miami: 3
GWOC: 2
GWO-NW: 2
OCC-OH: 3
OCC-Buck: 2
OCC-Cap: 1
OCC-Cent: 1
TRAC: 1
Sub-N: 1
Greater CLEV: 3
FED: 1
Freelancers: 2

Here's hoping the losses will motivate and inform and that injuries are nil. Hoping further that the OCC has a representative or 2 in the final four. It seems possible. Whether the OCC takes the big step and actually wins the title is another matter but this is why we play the games.

As a side note: I admit the top 30 or 50 could be thrown in the mix too and the picture may be less balanced. Also, it is understood that NWO and SWO have a top-heavy prominence in the ratings (deserved).... but this is another matter for another topic that gets us into hypotheticals.
Old 09-13-17, 12:19 PM
All American

Gahanna and Pick North losses very easily could have been wins , they weren't outplayed , just lost the games at the end, PN it seems choked it away from what I listened to on the radio .

PC loss stings the reputation no question, and while I know people like to point to a teams worst game and judge them on that as in that's what they are , the context of losses matters . I do believe that the 4 quarter wars against very good football teams took something out of PC that they didn't have when they needed it, not to take anything from a very good TWW team , if they played someone else last week that was more of a breather , and played TWM this week they play better and the game is closer.

Kramerica is harsh on Darby but he makes some good points no question . 6-4 and 7-3 teams can be and sometimes are better than 8-2 clubs who make the play-offs, it happens , some teams have tougher schedules. The crossover OCC games on teams schedules can be random and either harsh of less harsh depending on the year. You can get a good program that is rebuilding, or had a coaching change etc. Other years you get two games against teams that are peaking as a program or in a really good run .

Scheduling spots and dynamics MATTERS in football at all levels , emotional and physical peaks and valleys occur during rough stretches of 3 or even more straight tough games. There is a reason why some college teams have bye's before some of their toughest test , they do this on purpose . Sometimes you have no control over how many tough games you play in a row .

But I do agree the OCC has had better first three weeks of the season years if you will .
Old 09-13-17, 01:20 PM
All Ohio

OCC GUY is an unknown quantity at this point
Harrycrane and Lambeau! Two of my favorite posters. They don't always agree with me, and sometimes are a little stern with me on my posts, but they are solid on analysis with data and logic. I value their knowledge and opinion. They are great assets to this site.

Genuine post gentlemen, being sincere.
Old 09-13-17, 08:04 PM
All District

Big GLHS is on a distinguished road
Crossover games

OCC week 4 & 5 crossover games are my favorite midterm tests......

Olentangy........Coffman & Marysville

Liberty..........Davidson & PK North

Orange..........Big Walnut & Newark

WV Central.......PK North & Reynoldsburg

WN North..........Canal Winchester & New Albany

WV South........UA & Big Walnut

Gahanna Lincoln.....New Albany & Coffman

Grove City.......Marysville & Franklin Heights

Lancaster.........Newark & Davidson

PK Central.......Groveport & UA

PK North........WV Central & Liberty

Reynoldsburg....Central Crossing & WV Central

Big Walnut.......Orange & WV South

Canal Winchester....WV North & Westland

Franklin Heights.....Westland & Grove City

Groveport.......PK Central & Central Crossing

New Albany.....Gahanna Lincoln & WV North

Newark.......Lancaster & Orange

Central Crossing.....Reynoldsburg & Groveport

Coffman.....Olentangy & Gahanna Lincoln

Davidson......Liberty & Lancaster

Marysville......Grove City & Olentangy

UA.......WV South & PK Central

Westland.....Franklin Heights & Canal Winchester

.............definitely a few teams have a more challenging crossover schedule
Old 09-14-17, 10:57 AM
All World

Cthelites is on a distinguished road
CosmoKramer I'm tired of you bashing Darby.
Get some simple facts straight, which you already have been way off the mark this yr.
NO ONE on here was predicting Darby to be world beaters.
Several posters had them ranked high in their preseason prolly for past respectability(think Davidson in preseason state polls the past couple yrs as stivie has pointed out to non CO posters)
You came on here and railed against Darby and I responded to your insults.

There were a couple of dynamics that took place w Darby this yr. this Sr class was a pretty dominant class at the fresh level. That doesn't always translate of course and it has turned a potentially great class to just a good class of boys. Their stud FB whom was a captain last yr as a jr is out of football. There was another stud that is no longer in school.
As I explained before the QB had mono in camp AND he sprained his ankle and was not very good opening day against the MIGHTY TANGY. Darby jumped out to a big lead and then had 4 consecutive TOs leading to 28 unanswered points and the wheels fell off.
Gratz to the Tangy men on a great game but quit beating your chest over it and knocking our program over it. Your great coach has Darby's number for sure.
And I stated before Darby also lost its most explosive athlete Day right before the pc scrimmage.
Day was going to be the feature guy in the O this yr.
Much to Darby's credit they have hung in there and pulled out a gutsy OT win vs David purely on their D and they beat your vaunted ibbies whom you said were good and would beat Darby.
CHECK!
So NO, they did not start 0-4 like you predicted , they are 2-1 prolly will fall to Brad to be 2-2. Will end up 8-2 or 7-3 barring major injuries.
Why don't you man up and eat a little crow?
CHECK!
Old 09-14-17, 11:31 AM
All World

Cthelites is on a distinguished road
And to the point on the Cardinal division.
I hated seeing the occ bringing in Delaware and MTV.
I hated seeing wc go. We had a great thing going with them.
But it happened.
I hated when they moved Darby out of the central away from the big 3 hd UA and dc back in 12.
But I ended up enjoying the Cardinal tho!
If you think that conference was a joke the past 4-5 yrs then you have your own issues.
Many on these boards considered it the top division a couple of yrs in that span.
As far scheduling goes you really can't predict where a program will be in your ooc games.
Northmont , boardman and Springfield are typically good programs and all were ranked preseason higher than darby. Throw in hd every yr and I'm not going to apologize to no one for that.
Have they been under achievers come playoff time? Prolly a bit.
But you can't just dismiss the rotten draws that they have gotten either.
In 12 possibly their best team ever went 10-0 and got on the pn side of the bracket who was one yard from winning the state that yr. and Darby had the lead at half going into the locker room. A play here or there they win that game.
In 13 Darby went 8-2 (losing to hd and wc both were closer games than the score)drawing that crappy Dayton program Wayne in the first rd. Got physically whopped that game.
In 14 went 9-1 drawing that crappy Cincinnati program colerain. Couldn't match their speed and got beat convincingly. I will put this team up with any in CO that yr. westy Central was considered the top dog until they got punched in the face by Darby that yr.(pc and dc were also there). QB powers also broke his wrist and wore a full hand arm cast the last two games so they couldn't pass at all which they did more that yr than any that I can remember under santagata.
In 15 they went 8-2 lost to wc on the homer call of the decade and then choked to crosstown Bradley. Got a good draw in first rd beating Lancaster and then lost to another crappy Cincinnati program elder.
Last yr they were expectantly down.
So in those 4 yrs u telling me they didn't devserve to be in the playoffs?
Stivie were you agreeing with that or just in general that not always the best teams make it into the playoffs?
And one last point when they switched to the 2 regions, Darby was the smallest school in the region.
Just a few facts for the revisionist historian out there!
CHECK!