Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-25-17, 12:40 PM
Varsity

Big GLHS is on a distinguished road
Ohio Capital Conference 2017

Big games in week one in the OCC non-conference schedule

Darby @ Olentangy
Orange @ Kilbourne
Gahanna Lincoln @ WV Central
WV South @ Scioto
Bradley@ Findlay
Coffman @ Perrysburg
and always interesting Grove City @ Davidson

Big win for PK Central last night over defending Big School Michigan state champion Cass....congrats Tigers
and New Albany hung on to defeat Reynoldsburg

Happy 50th Season Ohio Cap!!!

get out and support YOUR team!!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-17, 12:50 PM
All District

sportfan97 is on a distinguished road
Springfield @ Lancaster is a pretty big game for D1 R3 right out of the gate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-25-17, 12:53 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportfan97 View Post
Springfield @ Lancaster is a pretty big game for D1 R3 right out of the gate.

Fan97, u r right-on with that....good luck to the Gales
Old 08-25-17, 12:59 PM
Varsity

Truthbit is on a distinguished road
Was the game televised? I didn't know that game was on. Wow, I would have loved to at listen to it on the radio.
Old 08-25-17, 04:05 PM
All District

Picktowncentral is on a distinguished road
Reynoldsburg vs New Albany was on the CW... PC vs Cass Tech was not on TV or radio...
Old 08-26-17, 01:59 PM
Varsity

What a beautiful night last eve was for high school football...Warhawk Stadium is a very fine venue, one of the best in central ohio.

Golden Lions playing some of the best defense I've seen in awhile....Justus Harris had 2 touchdowns and 181 yds for the evening. WV Central showed a few bright spots but don't know how good they will be....the Buckeye had a very good night with the other 5 teams in the Division w
inning,the Warhawks have a very demanding schedule like a lot of teams in the OCC.

Final Gahanna Lincoln 24
WV Central 3
Old 08-26-17, 03:46 PM
Varsity

Coffman pounded Perrysburg 45-0, thought this might have been a little tighter game with Perrysburg just 2 years past their great 2015 campaign with a record of 13-1.

Last season Pburg was 6-4, and lost to Whitmer 52-24, and to Springfield 48-17, maybe they are down a little bit this year.......

but Coffman looks like they should be near the top of region 2 this year...

love this new set up of the regions, makes it a little different how you root for some schools in and out of your region....
Old 08-26-17, 05:06 PM
All World

Lambeau Fields is on a distinguished road
Congrats to Westerville North and Y.O. Thomas Worthington for both winning and starting the year 1-0. TW ending year and half long losing streak.

They face off next week.
Old 08-27-17, 09:59 AM
Varsity

WV South 50 / Scioto 14
With Gill back, are the Wildcats back?......Looks like a lot of talent back for the Wilds....Barber @ QB had two touchdown passes, and I believe he shared time with T Burke last year.

Sounds like the Irish are wounded with a number of starters out, hope they get back soon...Karl Johnson does a nice job with the kids there, Good Luck rest of the way!
Old 08-27-17, 10:16 AM
All World

ThisWeekNews reported that South scored more TDs Friday night than they did in all of 2016 combined.
Old 08-27-17, 01:55 PM
Varsity

Springfield 55 / Lancaster 21

Gales took a licking but I'm sure they will bounce back, but DeSales is next and the Stallions look very deep this year. Lancaster started 0-2 last year and still made the playoffs,but Carp will have them ready Friday @ DeSales I'm sure.
QB for Springfield looked like a giant.......

Shea Goss had over 60 yds I believe, and the QB for Lancaster, Tyler Monk, how did he look?

Last year DeSales won the season opener @ Lancaster 28-7, hope the Gales can turn things around on the Stallions this year......
Old 08-27-17, 07:19 PM
Varsity

All the Olentangy's won Friday

Olentangy 45 / Darby 24

Orange 32 / Kilbourne 7

Liberty 49 / Football North (ON) 14

Big weekend for Delaware Co., Liberty hosting HH Wayne on Friday, and Orange headed to Old North High to play Watterson, and the Braves go to Grove City.

Liberty just might have a chance against Wayne!
Old 08-27-17, 07:29 PM
Varsity

Final
Pine Richland (Pa) 41 / Huber Heights Wayne 0

Sunday night game for the Warriors
Old 08-27-17, 07:59 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big GLHS View Post
Final
Pine Richland (Pa) 41 / Huber Heights Wayne 0

Sunday night game for the Warriors
Has to be Wayne's worst defeat since Davidson best them by 30 back in 2013.
Old 08-27-17, 08:06 PM
Freshman

BB Jones is on a distinguished road
Liberty v Wayne

Wayne looked athletic, but undisciplined. If they can get some heat on Liberty's QB, it will be a great game.
Old 08-28-17, 04:04 AM
All American

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
that Davidson game wasn't man vs Boys, in other words Davidson wasn't 30 points better Wayne was ahead early and it was a game well into the second quarter SNOWY WINDY night greatly favored the run only team as some weird thing and Davidson poured it on and Wayne may have quit a bit

this game was OVER early , you could see the difference in experience and execution real early and tat QB was a flat out stud , Pine Richland WAS About 28- 30 points better yesterday. Wayne probably should have scored at least one TD yesterday , but they were outclassed in every way possible , tackling, coverage , blocking , pass rush .

Wayne is a good club , they just ran into an absolute buzzsaw, that was as good a tackling team as I have seen in a while . They also played with a huge chip on their shoulder m hence the plethora of 15 yard late hits , they knew it didn'[t really matter , their QB was going to make a play anyway when they got the ball back or they would execute well timed pressure to get out of it.

Liberty may benefit from a demoralized Wayne program having to travel on a short week with a deeply bruised ego , may take Wayne a few weeks to fully recover emotionally , doesn't mean they can't beat Liberty this week m but while I think Wayne eventually recovers , it may not fully happen this week . Their DB'S had a tough chore great HS QB having a ton of time to throw it, to experienced talented recievers ,

Senior laden team going against less experience at home , great QB smelling blood, ? , huge crowd ? = ugly downhill wheels come off blowout . Wayne will be fine, ton of athletes as usual , defensive lineman in the middle are large beasts , , BUT aren't pass rushers, they are run stuffers , couldn't get near the QB , HURT THEM
Old 08-28-17, 05:15 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycrane View Post
that Davidson game wasn't man vs Boys,
I never said it was.

Quote:
Davidson wasn't 30 points better
They were that night.

Quote:
SNOWY WINDY night greatly favored the run only team
You rival the Farmer's Almanac in terms of mastery of archival weather records.

Was this the same weather front that caused Walsh to throw 6 INTs vs. UA in Week 10 of 2012 or was it a different weather front?
Old 08-28-17, 05:51 AM
All District

uncle_rico is an unknown quantity at this point
Incoming!

Old 08-28-17, 06:37 AM
All American

Wow a bit sensitive as usual. My point was those games had nothing in common and yes weather like that might greatly favors run only . Ok so why not just use the Davidson game the next week to disparage Coffman why the UA game ? Just curious . Both equally turnover filled not in sheer number but Davidson TOs were in bad places meant more .

Go cats. Hugely impressive beat down of Grove City who may improve to 2 wins this year. May be we shouldnt sleep on the Cats after all , I'm
Sure Darby will find a way to lose the game again , so maybe a huge week three matchup with Bradley ?
Sure
Old 08-28-17, 12:43 PM
Varsity

DavidsonWC is on a distinguished road
Davidson's new turf is very nice.

The shades of green are different every 5 yards...which helps the spectator track the yard line when the ball is down at the far end of the field.

I think I read somewhere that the company that installed it was Texas based...and wanted to expand into the Midwest.
So I think they cut Hilliard Davidson a good deal to make them a nice demo installation for other Midwest schools could look at.
Also new scoreboard, goal posts, and 25 second clocks.

I think Hilliard Darby got some turf too.
I think Bradley already had turf.

Davidson has a couple of small shifty backs that did a good job on Friday.
Davidson was very disciplined...I think one singular holding penalty all night.
Old 08-28-17, 01:40 PM
All District

Tiger Alum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonWC View Post
Davidson's new turf is very nice.

The shades of green are different every 5 yards...which helps the spectator track the yard line when the ball is down at the far end of the field.

I think I read somewhere that the company that installed it was Texas based...and wanted to expand into the Midwest.
So I think they cut Hilliard Davidson a good deal to make them a nice demo installation for other Midwest schools could look at.
Also new scoreboard, goal posts, and 25 second clocks.

I think Hilliard Darby got some turf too.
I think Bradley already had turf.

Davidson has a couple of small shifty backs that did a good job on Friday.
Davidson was very disciplined...I think one singular holding penalty all night.
Yes, the field did look nice.Darby did just get turf as well and Bradley has had it since they opened up the school I think.
The smaller backs did a good job and are juniors, so that bodes well for next year. All in all,a solid performance by the Cats considering they lost their starting backfield from last year,but the next 3 weeks are brutal. We will find out where they are at. Worried about the secondary as it wasn't really tested against GC. Concerned that the QB does not seem to be as good a running threat as previous years.Hoping their best offensive lineman is OK and the injury was minor. Cannot lose him.
Old 08-28-17, 02:19 PM
All American

Isn't one of the "small " shiftier guys Ben Wright who carried 28 times for 120 something yards a Senior? Two other guys are Juniors . Secondary won't be tested again this week although Darby did connect on a longer HALFBACK pass for a TD . Bradley game like last year will test their defensive backfield, got a nice handful scored on them last year with a more veteran talented group without Kory Taylor playing . That is the game you might have a real hard time with .

Liberty right after that? OUCH . Good to see the schools get turf , not just for football but for the other sports that are even more affected by rain and crappy field conditions .

Davidson usually disciplined , and they will have to be this year , smaller margin for error than most years . Grove City it wouldn't have mattered if they were sloppy , they would just won by less , but a good win a MUST WIN . But Grove City was 0-10 last year, Varney seems like the right choice to change the culture, but it Ain't happening this year , that puppy will take some time , I say two wins this year?

Olentangy will eviscerate them this week if they want to and are even somewhat sharp . and I don't think they win one in league play. Franklin Heights game will be interesting .

Darby at home with a new track{ Field surface} in a must win situation with more experience , no talent disadvantage and arguably more talent HAS TO GET THE WIN , if they can't they aren't making the play-offs for the second straight year. Don't have a Powers like player to get them over the hump but they need to find a way here, if not they aren't as good as they thought, because this isn't a really good Davidson team especially this early .
Old 08-28-17, 02:59 PM
All District

Quote:
Isn't one of the "small " shiftier guys Ben Wright who carried 28 times for 120 something yards a Senior? Two other guys are Juniors . Secondary won't be tested again this week although Darby did connect on a longer HALFBACK pass for a TD . Bradley game like last year will test their defensive backfield, got a nice handful scored on them last year with a more veteran talented group without Kory Taylor playing . That is the game you might have a real hard time with .

Liberty right after that? OUCH . Good to see the schools get turf , not just for football but for the other sports that are even more affected by rain and crappy field conditions .

Davidson usually disciplined , and they will have to be this year , smaller margin for error than most years . Grove City it wouldn't have mattered if they were sloppy , they would just won by less , but a good win a MUST WIN . But Grove City was 0-10 last year, Varney seems like the right choice to change the culture, but it Ain't happening this year , that puppy will take some time , I say two wins this year?

Olentangy will eviscerate them this week if they want to and are even somewhat sharp . and I don't think they win one in league play. Franklin Heights game will be interesting .

Darby at home with a new track{ Field surface} in a must win situation with more experience , no talent disadvantage and arguably more talent HAS TO GET THE WIN , if they can't they aren't making the play-offs for the second straight year. Don't have a Powers like player to get them over the hump but they need to find a way here, if not they aren't as good as they thought, because this isn't a really good Davidson team especially this early .
Ben Wright is a senior and would be considered the feature back at this point. Hicks who is a junior, had some nice runs. I agree that the Bradley game probably will expose the secondary especially if there is no pressure on the QB like last years game.Davidson lost their best pass rusher to Pick North so that hurts.
Like I said before, this team is very similar to the 2014 version but I do not think quite as bad on offense.That year GC shut them out the first game.As for the Darby game,you can almost bet the the score will be something like 10-7 unless one of the teams just implodes with turnovers and other mistakes. Anyway, it's a fun and an intense of a game as there is in Central Ohio. This game for me personally is my favorite one of the season.
Old 08-28-17, 03:46 PM
Varsity

@Tiger Alum
I did see a Davidson lineman go down late in the game.
But, I'm pretty sure what I saw was a muscle cramp in the back of his left calf.
The trainer stretched out the left leg and was massaging the left calf muscle.

We were late getting in, missing most of the first quarter, since we didn't know that all the start times this season had moved up by a half hour to 7:00PM...so I may have missed any other injuries.

I will say the Grove City fans turned out and completely filled the visitors side.
It looked like a playoff crowd.
They have a long football history, and I'm sure they are excited with this new coach.

Davidson had a nice fan turnout...as usual.

I myself am a graduate of UA class of 1970.
Back in 1967, 68, and 69 it was pretty much a full house, standing-room-only, every Friday at the spanking new Marv Moorehead Stadium...and the Marv probably the largest HS stadium capacity-wise in the area.
But today, I'm always embarrassed to watch Davidson play UA and see the lackluster UA crowd size...both at home or away.

Yes...like last year...it's a rebuilding year for Davidson.
Besides the shifty runners the Davidson QB had some nice keepers where he pulled the ball back in and went around the end.
Last years QB was very good at that.

No doubt the schedule is front-loaded with Darby, Bradley and Liberty...
@Harrycrane...
Ouch is right...
It would be nice to win at least one of them.

Someone brought up the Davidson/Wayne Playoff Game played a few winters ago at UA in the snow.
It was a comedy of errors for Wayne.
Maybe even more errors than last year's UA/Davidson game.

Just days before that blustery Playoff Game, on this forum, one of the Wayne supporters said that the adverse conditions (severe wind, freezing rain, and snow) would actually favor the Wayne QB's passing attack.
Even his own Wayne fans gave him a hard time for that one.

If I remember OSU played at home the next day(was it the Hoosiers?)...again in brutal cold. Or maybe the Wayne/Davidson playoff was on Saturday night...with OSU Playing earlier that afternoon??? I know I went to both games.

What I do remember is...it took me till Wednesday to thaw out.
Old 08-28-17, 03:57 PM
All District

Quote:
@Tiger Alum
I did see a Davidson lineman go down late in the game.
But, I'm pretty sure what I saw was a muscle cramp in the back of his left calf.
The trainer stretched out the left leg and was massaging the left calf muscle.

We were late getting in, missing most of the first quarter, since we didn't know that all the start times this season had moved up by a half hour to 7:00PM...so I may have missed any other injuries.

I will say the Grove City fans turned out and completely filled the visitors side.
It looked like a playoff crowd.
They have a long football history, and I'm sure they are excited with this new coach.

Davidson had a nice fan turnout...as usual.

I myself am a graduate of UA class of 1970.
Back in 1967, 68, and 69 it was pretty much a full house, standing-room-only, every Friday at the spanking new Marv Moorehead Stadium...and the Marv probably the largest HS stadium capacity-wise in the area.
But today, I'm always embarrassed to watch Davidson play UA and see the lackluster UA crowd size...both at home or away.

Yes...like last year...it's a rebuilding year for Davidson.
Besides the shifty runners the Davidson QB had some nice keepers where he pulled the ball back in and went around the end.
Last years QB was very good at that.

No doubt the schedule is front-loaded with Darby, Bradley and Liberty...
@Harrycrane...
Ouch is right...
It would be nice to win at least one of them.

Someone brought up the Davidson/Wayne Playoff Game played a few winters ago at UA in the snow.
It was a comedy of errors for Wayne.
Maybe even more errors than last year's UA/Davidson game.

Just days before that blustery Playoff Game, on this forum, one of the Wayne supporters said that the adverse conditions (severe wind, freezing rain, and snow) would actually favor the Wayne QB's passing attack.
Even his own Wayne fans gave him a hard time for that one.

If I remember OSU played at home the next day(was it the Hoosiers?)...again in brutal cold. Or maybe the Wayne/Davidson playoff was on Saturday night...with OSU Playing earlier that afternoon??? I know I went to both games.

What I do remember is...it took me till Wednesday to thaw out.

Just love the 7 PM kickoffs. Thanks alot OSHAA
I might add if you show up at a well attended game after 6:30 without a ticket, be prepared to wait in line 30 to 45 minutes just to get your tickets. I always get there early and get mine at 5:45 and no line. My friends got to the stadium at 6:30 and did not get to their seats until after kickoff. I'm afraid I'm going to experience that for a few road games.
Old 08-28-17, 03:59 PM
All American

Davidson had a really good team in 2013 , they were better than Wayne was and would have won in my opinion in any kind of weather , BUT my point was the cold wind and snow squalls hampered the passing team more than Davidson who did I believe complete two passes that game m just making the outcome worse for Wayne . Davidson lost to Moeller the next week and played very well , just got worn down by a much bigger Big Moe team in the later going. Never hit the home run to Motely that was a staple in many games that year , couldn't pull the trigger .

Yesterday's game was more of a case of Nolo Contendere, a Senior laden team with many more multiple year starters going up against a less experienced WAYNE TEAM, THE GAME COULD HAVE BENE PLAYED IN ANY CONDITIONS AT ANY VENUE AND PINE RICHLAND WINS HANDILY . Hope that Number one kid speaking of transfers was a Senior transfer from West Allegany is OK where he was holding his knee and the pain on his face had ACL written on it , but he did get up and walk OK but again I have seen that dynamic up close with one my kids, she walked OK after it was a bit sore but didn't thin it was real bad, the swelling the next day told a different story. Hope he is OK , Kid si a stud 6-0 200 with power and moves.

Community's like Grove City and Marysville for that matter will travel when good, or excited in GC'S case on Friday , opening night is always a better draw as well as hope springs eternal as well as curiosity . Good to see, but this thing is going to take some time for Varney , hope they are patient .

Darby - Davidson game I can see is a huge one in the community , still the best prank EVER at Crew Stadium when Darby got the win with that excellent 2007 team, priceless. Lately from a competitive standpoint more than not it's a lot like UA Coffman , games are decided by small margins on big plays , some comebacks ,very spirited play and decided in the 4th quarter .

Coffman is a bit better than UA in terms of attendance but can lay some eggs in that department as well . 2013 at Davidson was embarrassing , some years at UA as well with play-off berth{s} on the line in some cases. 2015 I believe it was the 21 pilots concert that kept some Coffman students away, but alas in both those games the Rocks were never in the games unfortunately .

Coffman does a decent job at home early in the season though getting people out to the games . My guess is they will bring a nice crowd over to Davidson this year . Pick North has gotten a nice transfer haul? I know they got a Wayne receiver who can run , and Nonso as well ? Davidson lost to good players , Seimer to GC and Nonso to PC . Yes they barely got to know Seimer who was there one year but both guys would have helped .

How many has Pick North gotten ? They seem loaded and PC fans are claiming they are getting a lot of move in's lately. Both teams look good

Last edited by Harrycrane; 08-28-17 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-28-17, 04:07 PM
Varsity

@Tiger Alum
Well, we arrived just as the National Anthem was being played. The Davidson home side ticket line was never ending...so we tried the visitors side, and it was just as long. We ended up watching the majority of the first quarter from outside the south end zone fence.

I have a senior pass for Hilliard games, which is sweet...but my buddy(over 50 but not a Hilliard resident) has to buy a ticket.
I think I'll have to score a second senior pass for him.

The earlier start times certainly make it harder for people with jobs.
Old 08-28-17, 05:41 PM
All District

Quote:
Davidson had a really good team in 2013 , they were better than Wayne was and would have won in my opinion in any kind of weather , BUT my point was the cold wind and snow squalls hampered the passing team more than Davidson who did I believe complete two passes that game m just making the outcome worse for Wayne . Davidson lost to Moeller the next week and played very well , just got worn down by a much bigger Big Moe team in the later going. Never hit the home run to Motely that was a staple in many games that year , couldn't pull the trigger .

Yesterday's game was more of a case of Nolo Contendere, a Senior laden team with many more multiple year starters going up against a less experienced WAYNE TEAM, THE GAME COULD HAVE BENE PLAYED IN ANY CONDITIONS AT ANY VENUE AND PINE RICHLAND WINS HANDILY . Hope that Number one kid speaking of transfers was a Senior transfer from West Allegany is OK where he was holding his knee and the pain on his face had ACL written on it , but he did get up and walk OK but again I have seen that dynamic up close with one my kids, she walked OK after it was a bit sore but didn't thin it was real bad, the swelling the next day told a different story. Hope he is OK , Kid si a stud 6-0 200 with power and moves.

Community's like Grove City and Marysville for that matter will travel when good, or excited in GC'S case on Friday , opening night is always a better draw as well as hope springs eternal as well as curiosity . Good to see, but this thing is going to take some time for Varney , hope they are patient .

Darby - Davidson game I can see is a huge one in the community , still the best prank EVER at Crew Stadium when Darby got the win with that excellent 2007 team, priceless. Lately from a competitive standpoint more than not it's a lot like UA Coffman , games are decided by small margins on big plays , some comebacks ,very spirited play and decided in the 4th quarter .

Coffman is a bit better than UA in terms of attendance but can lay some eggs in that department as well . 2013 at Davidson was embarrassing , some years at UA as well with play-off berth{s} on the line in some cases. 2015 I believe it was the 21 pilots concert that kept some Coffman students away, but alas in both those games the Rocks were never in the games unfortunately .

Coffman does a decent job at home early in the season though getting people out to the games . My guess is they will bring a nice crowd over to Davidson this year . Pick North has gotten a nice transfer haul? I know they got a Wayne receiver who can run , and Nonso as well ? Davidson lost to good players , Seimer to GC and Nonso to PC . Yes they barely got to know Seimer who was there one year but both guys would have helped .

How many has Pick North gotten ? They seem loaded and PC fans are claiming they are getting a lot of move in's lately. Both teams look good
Ah.. 2013. That was a fun year. I was convinced had we somehow gotten past Moeller,we would have won the state that year. Mentors defense was made for us IMO. You know how sometimes you have a feeling for a team very early that a deep playoff run was probable? believe me,the coaches knew it too. I was keeping an eye on Moeller all season knowing that we would meet up with them and knowing the winner of that game would win the state title. As for the The Wayne game, it was bitterly cold that time of the year with the wind chills around 10 degrees in the old Marv. Just bundles up and it didn't bother me at all. I like the cold anyways. Wayne started out fast but from the 2nd quarter on,things just went our way. It's funny but the Wayne QB at that time was Trice and the kid who is currently the Wayne QB reminds me of him alot. The way he throws especially.
Yes Pick North got Nonso. It's funny because I didn't even know about it until the Findlay scrimmage. This year I didn't get to see any 7 on 7 or the Scioto scrimmage as I would have noticed him not being out there and would have asked someone about him.
Old 08-28-17, 05:55 PM
All District

Quote:
@Tiger Alum
Well, we arrived just as the National Anthem was being played. The Davidson home side ticket line was never ending...so we tried the visitors side, and it was just as long. We ended up watching the majority of the first quarter from outside the south end zone fence.

I have a senior pass for Hilliard games, which is sweet...but my buddy(over 50 but not a Hilliard resident) has to buy a ticket.
I think I'll have to score a second senior pass for him.

The earlier start times certainly make it harder for people with jobs.
I do not like the early starts.When you work till 5 and have about a 20 to 25 minute drive just to get home from work,it will make it tough to get to an away game in time.Well any game that's not at Darby and Bradley that is. Fortunately I live accross the street from Davidson school property and the home games are no problem unless there is some kind of traffic nightmare on 270 coming home after work. I even took the day off for the game at Lancaster on 9/22 so I could get there on time.
Old 08-28-17, 06:29 PM
All District

uncle_rico is an unknown quantity at this point
The early start is such a stupid move. It's ok for rural communities, but fighting rush hour traffic in Columbus on a Friday is no picnic. Not to mention the strain it puts on officials to get there even earlier. If it ain't broke...