Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-26-17, 09:38 AM
All American

bulldog1974 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Elite View Post
The point is why I think they lose the first 2 games
As you wish, but some of those teams with the combined 19 wins were beaten by those who beat EP. So, moot is your point.

I would not be surprised to see EP beat Salem again, Perry on the other hand might be a problem.
Old 07-26-17, 09:57 AM
All American

Struthersfan is on a distinguished road
We'll find out soon enough with season only 30 days away.

Should be plenty of surprises with many Valley teams.
Old 07-26-17, 11:25 AM
All American

Buckeye Elite is on a distinguished road
Would be nice to see them take down Perry, all for more local teams.
Old 07-26-17, 12:01 PM
All American

Good luck to EP in both games..
Would like to see them win both.
Old 07-26-17, 12:14 PM
All American

Quote:
Would be nice to see them take down Perry, all for more local teams.
Not the same, but EP took down a heavily favored D3 Mogodore Field team 7 years ago.

Well, we sill see in a few more weeks. EP returns quite a few, including the Jr QB who has been recruited by area schools under that damn OE bullsh*t. Glad he stayed home.
Old 07-26-17, 12:26 PM
All World

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog1974 View Post
Not the same, but EP took down a heavily favored D3 Mogodore Field team 7 years ago.

Well, we sill see in a few more weeks. EP returns quite a few, including the Jr QB who has been recruited by area schools under that damn OE bullsh*t. Glad he stayed home.
Any college looks
Old 07-26-17, 12:35 PM
All American

Quote:

The recruiting must not be as strenuous as before.
Or maybe he could see more upcoming success right in his own back yard.
If he was indeed recruited, it speaks volumes of his character to stay where his heart is.
Hope he has a spectacular year.
Old 07-26-17, 12:43 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
Any college looks
I'm not privy to that info.
Old 07-26-17, 01:05 PM
All World

kingpin2010 is on a distinguished road
After seeing Perry against Steubenville last year I just don't see EP competing unless Perry was extremely senior laden. I'll be pulling for the Dogs but I just don't see the depth/talent to compete in that game.
Old 07-26-17, 02:40 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin2010 View Post
After seeing Perry against Steubenville last year I just don't see EP competing unless Perry was extremely senior laden. I'll be pulling for the Dogs but I just don't see the depth/talent to compete in that game.
Well, I agree, but stranger things have transpired in high school football.
A win against Salem is very likely, Perry is a different level all together.
Old 07-28-17, 02:34 PM
All American

Kirtland Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal WhoDey View Post
Please ignore this post, everyone. Thankfully, most ML fans aren't like this and know that whoever comes out of this region will be battle-tested and a tough out.
Folks on this thread are giving undeserved credit to this year's Kirtland team based on past success. Keep in mind that Kirtland's 5 straight appearances in the championship game came to an end last year after two convincing losses to Cuyahoga Hts, who was defeated by Marion Local in championship game. Spirited effort by the Redskins (I was rooting for them), but ML proved that they were the better team, so what does that say about Kirtland? It tells me that the current Kirtland team is not championship-caliber.

No doubt that Kirtland will be competitive this year, but I don't expect the Hornets to dominate, as many are predicting. As much as I'd love to see a rematch with ML, let's first see if Kirtland can get out of this region! LaVerde will always field a competitive team, but I'm anxious to see how other teams in our region do this year. There are some quality teams in our region to watch aside from Kirtland.
Old 07-31-17, 09:51 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirtland Fan View Post
Folks on this thread are giving undeserved credit to this year's Kirtland team based on past success. Keep in mind that Kirtland's 5 straight appearances in the championship game came to an end last year after two convincing losses to Cuyahoga Hts, who was defeated by Marion Local in championship game. Spirited effort by the Redskins (I was rooting for them), but ML proved that they were the better team, so what does that say about Kirtland? It tells me that the current Kirtland team is not championship-caliber.

No doubt that Kirtland will be competitive this year, but I don't expect the Hornets to dominate, as many are predicting. As much as I'd love to see a rematch with ML, let's first see if Kirtland can get out of this region! LaVerde will always field a competitive team, but I'm anxious to see how other teams in our region do this year. There are some quality teams in our region to watch aside from Kirtland.
Well the Hornets have earned that standing by their success, especially in the region. Ever since they've been dropped to D6, the hornets have been nothing short of dominant against every team not named Cuyahoga Heights. Even last year they won convincingly over some pretty good teams in weeks 11 and 12.

That said, if Norwayne returns a decent amount from last years squad they certainly deserve to be on the same tier as Kirtland. Comparing scores isn't always great, but the same dalton that kirtland beat 21-0 in week 11, Norwayne beat 55-7 in the regular season. I have not the slightest idea what they return though.
Old 07-31-17, 09:59 AM
All World

Props to EP for scheduling perry.
Old 07-31-17, 11:46 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin2010 View Post
Well the Hornets have earned that standing by their success, especially in the region. Ever since they've been dropped to D6, the hornets have been nothing short of dominant against every team not named Cuyahoga Heights. Even last year they won convincingly over some pretty good teams in weeks 11 and 12.

That said, if Norwayne returns a decent amount from last years squad they certainly deserve to be on the same tier as Kirtland. Comparing scores isn't always great, but the same dalton that kirtland beat 21-0 in week 11, Norwayne beat 55-7 in the regular season. I have not the slightest idea what they return though.
I don't know anything about Norwayne, and it's difficult to compare regular season match-ups to playoff games, however, that Norwayne win against Dalton came on the road, @ Dalton, whereas Kirtland's win against Dalton was a first round playoff home game for Kirtland. Advantage Norwayne, IMO. You make a good point that neither of us knows what Norwayne is returning this year. Kirtland graduated its defensive player of the year in D6 (Loncar), but Kirtland is otherwise returning its QB (Fulco) and leading RB (Torok) and some other first team players (the same players that, I might add, were beaten soundly twice by Cuyahoga Hts).

I know that I'm stating the obvious, but Kirtland will go as far as its O-line will take them. Seven straight trips to regional finals 2010-2016 were because of outstanding O-lines leading successful ground game. Cuyahoga Hts stuffed Kirtland's running game twice last year, whereas dating back to 2010 in D5 and D6, Kirtland's running attack was almost unstoppable. Of course, this would be true of all other teams too. How many times have we heard that whomever wins the battle at the line of scrimmage will win the game?

Last edited by Kirtland Fan; 07-31-17 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-31-17, 01:38 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
Props to EP for scheduling perry.
Anyone know what Perry has this coming season?
Old 07-31-17, 03:05 PM
All American

Perry's 2017 Schedule

8/25
7:00p

Riverside (Painesville, OH)

9/1

@ East Palestine (East Palestine, OH)

9/8

Madison (Madison, OH)

Rivalry Game

9/15

Beachwood (Beachwood, OH)

9/22

Wickliffe (Wickliffe, OH)

9/28

@ Chagrin Falls (Chagrin Falls, OH)

9/29

Geneva (Geneva, OH)

10/6

Geneva (Geneva, OH)

10/13

@ West Geauga (Chesterland, OH)

10/13

@ Orange (Pepper Pike, OH)

10/20
TBA

@ West Geauga (Chesterland, OH)

10/20

@ Harvey (Painesville, OH)

10/27
TBA

@ Harvey (Painesville, OH)
Old 07-31-17, 04:03 PM
All American

Coach LaVerde and Kirtland's Impressive Run

OK, this post is for other Kirtland fans who have criticized me for being too tough on Hornet teams.

Since coach Tiger LaVerde arrived in 2006, his teams have compiled some astounding stats:

Year Record
2006 8-3 Lost in first playoff round
2007 8-3 Lost in first playoff round
2008 12-1 Lost in regional final against champ Ursuline
2009 7-3 Missed playoffs
2010 12-1 Lost in regional final against champ Ursuline
2011 15-0 First championship beat Coldwater 28-7
2012 14-1 Lost in championship rematch to Coldwater 10-9
2013 15-0 Won second championship against Wayne Trace 44-16
2014 14-1 Lost in championship to Minster 46-42
2015 14-1 Won third championship against Marion Local 22-20
2016 11-2 Lost in regional final against Cuyahoga Hts

• Since 2010, a seven-year span, Kirtland is 95-6 (.941).
• Two of the six losses in that time frame (2014 to Minster and 2012 to Coldwater) came in state championship games).
• Only four times in the past 111 games has Kirtland scored less than 10 points in a game. The Hornets were shut out by Youngstown Ursuline, 48-0, in the 2010 regional final, lost to Coldwater, 10-9, in the 2012 state final, and then were shut out twice by Cuyahoga Heights last year.
• When the Hornets were blanked by the Redskins on Oct. 21 last year, it marked the first time since Nov. 20, 2010, that Kirtland was shut out — breaking a streak of 83 straight games in which Kirtland scored points.
And then the biggie ...
• Last year was the first time Kirtland has not played in a state championship game since the 2010 season.

The question is whether this year's Hornet team can continue Coach LaVerde's winning tradition?
Old 08-01-17, 06:28 AM
All American

Kirtland fan:

I knew the schedule as it's posted long ago, I was referring to what Perry had coming back for the 2017 season.
Old 08-01-17, 11:53 AM
All World

Quote:
Kirtland fan:

I knew the schedule as it's posted long ago, I was referring to what Perry had coming back for the 2017 season.
Just looked at the JJH/Maxpreps pre-season all Ohio for "small schools" (D4-D7) and Perry had a couple players listed, so this would be a start.

On Defense they have 1st team DL Nick Mason 6-3, 240 lbs. For honorable mention they have a DL Hayden Makad 6-4, 250 lbs.

On Offense they have an honorable mention QB Kolston Brewster 6-2, 195, and a WR Jacob Allen 6-1, 195.

Just by that it looks like they will have a nice passing attack and in the defensive trenches.
Old 08-01-17, 12:16 PM
All World

It does appear that perry will be in playoff contention once again.
Old 08-02-17, 03:50 PM
Junior Varsity

HornetFanatic is on a distinguished road
By all objective measures this year's Kirtland team is the strongest team in LaVerde's tenure. Last year's team had a record, 8 players make the 900 club (bench+squat+clean= 900 lbs or more). This year's team has 18 players in the club, at least that's what I'm being told

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-17, 09:15 PM
All District

Gordon1212 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You know more about this division 6 region than I do. I've been use to D4 and D5. I'd say United would be worth more on OOL since they carry Salem and Minerva.
If EP wins the first two against Salem and Perry, they should have no problem running the table in the EOAC. But, that remains to be seen.
EP's defense will be the achilles heal again. Also, Sherry is playing both sides this year and that has to affect his play at QB. I wouldn't be surprised if they scored 35 a game but give up as much on D.
Old 08-09-17, 09:18 PM
All District

Gordon1212 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer24 View Post
Even 8-2 is not a guarantee in this region...it's brutal. Lisbon would have been on the bubble at 8-2 the last two years. Three years ago, we went 7-3 and finished 12th in the region. Same record would have gotten us in the playoffs in D5 easily...maybe even would have hosted like Crestview did that year.
Actually, I believe I read Lisbon would have been the #3 seed if in the region last year.
Old 08-10-17, 07:20 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon1212 View Post
EP's defense will be the achilles heal again. Also, Sherry is playing both sides this year and that has to affect his play at QB. I wouldn't be surprised if they scored 35 a game but give up as much on D.
I couldn't agree more. That bit them several games the last two seasons.
Old 08-27-17, 09:21 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornetFanatic View Post
By all objective measures this year's Kirtland team is the strongest team in LaVerde's tenure. Last year's team had a record, 8 players make the 900 club (bench+squat+clean= 900 lbs or more). This year's team has 18 players in the club, at least that's what I'm being told

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Impressive stats, to be sure, but what good did those stats do for Kirtland against Chagrin Falls this past weekend? Kirtland squeaked past Chagrin Falls, 14-13, thanks to a blocked extra point. By comparison, last year's version of the Hornets beat Chagrin Falls convincingly, 31-7, and the year before, Kirtland's 2015 championship team beat Chagrin Falls 24-9. Don't get me wrong, I'm proud of how hard the kids weight-train all year round at Kirtland, but weight room stats don't win games. To be fair, Kirtland had a couple turnovers that could have easily been 2 more touchdowns this past Friday. Kirtland's lines were getting a very good push against CF all night long. Let's see how this year's team does going forward. LaVerde is pretty good at cleaning up stuff like turnovers and missed assignments.
Old 08-27-17, 09:35 PM
All American

Hope EP gets outta this week healthy, Perry is a whole different monster then what they are accustomed to playing
Old 08-27-17, 09:36 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirtland Fan View Post
Impressive stats, to be sure, but what good did those stats do for Kirtland against Chagrin Falls this past weekend? Kirtland squeaked past Chagrin Falls, 14-13, thanks to a blocked extra point. By comparison, last year's version of the Hornets beat Chagrin Falls convincingly, 31-7, and the year before, Kirtland's 2015 championship team beat Chagrin Falls 24-9. Don't get me wrong, I'm proud of how hard the kids weight-train all year round at Kirtland, but weight room stats don't win games. To be fair, Kirtland had a couple turnovers that could have easily been 2 more touchdowns this past Friday. Kirtland's lines were getting a very good push against CF all night long. Let's see how this year's team does going forward. LaVerde is pretty good at cleaning up stuff like turnovers and missed assignments.
Well it wasn't too long ago that Chagrin Falls was making deep playoff runs in D3 and D4, all the way up to 2013. Looks like they hit a dry spell and have been rebuilding but perhaps this years squad will resemble more of those playoff teams and this win by Kirtland will look mighty impressive come November.
Old 08-27-17, 09:41 PM
All World

Quote:
Hope EP gets outta this week healthy, Perry is a whole different monster then what they are accustomed to playing
That's gotta be first and foremost the goal this week for the Dogs, stay healthy. If they do, playing a team as good as Perry should pay dividend going forward. Unfortunate for them they lost to Salem though, they'll need to run the table after Perry if they want a chance at week 11 in this region.
Old 08-27-17, 10:24 PM
All American

Probably right
Old 08-28-17, 04:52 AM
All World

FirestoneFan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to FirestoneFan
Kirtland
Norwayne
Mogadore
Western Reserve