Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-24-17, 08:38 AM
All Region

hoban2020 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB 04 View Post
You're drinking some really good Kool Aid if you think Hoban is better than the GCL or Eds.

If you'll do something called "read", I very clearly said that I was not saying 'better than', but 'in the vicinity of'.

And Hoban/Ed's played a rather even game last year. That would qualify as 'in the vicinity of'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-17, 10:05 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB 04 View Post
I'll be honest Hoban2020, private schools are all at an even level. It is starting to show especially in basketball. It's now creeping up in football. It doesn't matter if it's baseball, basketball, or football now. OHSAA put the competitive balance in place due to some smaller private schools walking all over the other smaller schools.
Given that there have been only 3 D1 public state finals winners since 2001, I think there was plenty of emphasis in competitive balance placed on the big schools. The small divisions have actually been pretty competitive between public sand privates.
Old 08-24-17, 10:42 AM
All American

SuperD1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoban2020 View Post
Ummm, Hoban is (has been - don't know about 2017) a top 10-15 team in Ohio, regardless of division the last 2 years.

I think we're better than Euclid, Canada North-Clarkson, Glen Oak and in the same general class as Mentor, Detroit Central Catholic, Elder, Moeller, Xavier and Ed's - all of whom have far more students than Hoban. Not saying 'better than', but at least 'in the vicinity of'.

Last year Ignatius played Normandy, Valley Forge, Parma and Walsh Jesuit who combined for a 7-33 record.

You have a chance to beat an Ignatius team that is down. Just like you had a chance to beat a down St Edward team last season. This game will likely have the same result.

You are not in the same league or vicinity as Moeller, St. Edward, St. Xavier, Elder or St. Ignatius. You are in the same galaxy, that's all. That's not a metaphor. I mean it literally. Get real, know your place.
Old 08-24-17, 10:50 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD1 View Post
You have a chance to beat an Ignatius team that is down. Just like you had a chance to beat a down St Edward team last season. This game will likely have the same result.

You are not in the same league or vicinity as Moeller, St. Edward, St. Xavier, Elder or St. Ignatius. You are in the same galaxy, that's all. That's not a metaphor. I mean it literally. Get real, know your place.

An Ignatius team that is down, but a program that finished 2nd in D1 last year, is pre-season ranked #3 in the state and #1 in the Cleveland.com pre-season rankings?

So is Ignatius 'down', or 'one of the best big schools in the area/state'? Can you have it both ways?

Old 08-24-17, 10:55 AM
All World

tom 48 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
An Ignatius team that is down, but a program that finished 2nd in D1 last year, is pre-season ranked #3 in the state and #1 in the Cleveland.com pre-season rankings?

So is Ignatius 'down', or 'one of the best big schools in the area/state'? Can you have it both ways?

Polls mean nothing.
Old 08-24-17, 11:04 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom 48 View Post
Polls mean nothing.

How about 25+ years of pretty much consistent excellence and a handful+ of state titles from Coach Kyle and the Ignatius program?

Old 08-24-17, 01:18 PM
All District

fac974 is an unknown quantity at this point
Will the game against hoban tonight be streamed anywhere online or on any local channels?
Old 08-24-17, 01:50 PM
All Ohio

Wildcat66
Quote:
Originally Posted by fac974 View Post
Will the game against hoban tonight be streamed anywhere online or on any local channels?

Saint Ignatius Football - Saint Ignatius vs. Archbishop Hoban

Live from Dowd Field! on the SIBN http://www.ignatiuswildcats.com/sibn-live

Scheduled to broadcast 8/24/17 6:30pm - 8/24/17 11:30pm
Old 08-24-17, 01:52 PM
All District

fac974 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat66 View Post
Saint Ignatius Football - Saint Ignatius vs. Archbishop Hoban

Live from Dowd Field! on the SIBN http://www.ignatiuswildcats.com/sibn-live

Scheduled to broadcast 8/24/17 6:30pm - 8/24/17 11:30pm
My hero
Old 08-24-17, 02:14 PM
All American

Abes95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat66 View Post
Perhaps 1991 (Class of 1994) ??? Quick look show 2 sophs over 250 lbs. I still keep it below 250
FYI, '91 team only had three sophomores. Haddad, Mutryn, and Buzin.
Old 08-24-17, 02:32 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abes95 View Post
FYI, '91 team only had three sophomores. Haddad, Mutryn, and Buzin.
3 pretty darn good sophomores.
Old 08-24-17, 07:53 PM
All American

Quote:

I'm sorry did you just bring up the Cleveland.com poll?
Old 08-27-17, 12:21 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom 48 View Post
AYK. Hoban will be one of the toughest games of the year. They might be one of the top 3 teams in the state at any level.
Uh, no. They're not one of the top three teams in the state. They may not be a top three team in D3.
Old 08-27-17, 12:25 PM
All Ohio

Wildcats1886
In Futbol news, the Cats were swept this weekend by our Cinci brethren at the annual Jesuit cup. I know the Varsity is young, but very surprised that St. X won at all three levels.
Old 08-27-17, 12:33 PM
All World

Raymo is on a distinguished road
Thank you St.Iggy for whoopen Hoban,good luck this season.
Old 08-27-17, 06:44 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD1 View Post
Uh, no. They're not one of the top three teams in the state. They may not be a top three team in D3.

Nor Division 2, to which they've been assigned by the OHSAA this year.

Old 09-02-17, 07:23 AM
All District

wildcatway is on a distinguished road
I'm Surprised by the lack of activity on here for Mentor week... Notes from the game... Mentor is a much improved squad this year and it is highly possible there may be a rematch in November. The questions about the Cats' front 6 should be over. The defense has the potential to be even better than last year from what I've seen so far. The dual threat of Floyd and Bobinski looks very promising, but Kyle Hall has to make some plays with his feet at times. All the Cats' turnovers led to points. That has to be cleaned up. Finally, if that game was properly officiated, The Cats win by 20+. The game was not as close as the score indicated.
Old 09-02-17, 08:23 AM
All Yappi

A rather strange game with all the momentum shifts. The backbreaker for Mentor was the Ignatius TD ending the third quarter. A bright spot for Ignatius was the emergence of Floyd as a dependable running back. Also happy to see that Triv re-assserted his tradition of classlessness with his calling of the 2 TOs with less than a minute to go with the Cards down 10 and Ignatius deep in Mentor territory.
Old 09-02-17, 08:40 AM
All Ohio

Wildcats1886
I didn't get a chance to watch the Spectrum replay unfortunately but did listen on the radio. The 1260 AM announcers complained a lot about the officiating, but it was hard to tell how impartial they were. For example they felt the late hit on Floyd after his touchdown run was very egregious, but when I saw the replay on the Cleveland.com highlights it didn't seem that it was necessarily intentional.

How many turnovers did the Cats have? Is that what led Mentor to tie the game quickly after halftime? I missed that part of the broadcast.

Random thoughts:
Floyd was very impressive. The Cats have good depth at RB.
The lack of activity on this board seems to be a statewide thing; perhaps it's emblematic of a larger change in interest in Ohio HS football.
Shocked that the Cats would come out in all white uniforms - never thought a Kyle-coached team would have alternative uniforms.
The radio broadcasters mentioned that the Cats now have an NFL-style medical tent on the sidelines. Great upgrade for the kids and the trainers. I wonder about the cost though.
Old 09-02-17, 09:21 AM
All Region

Wildcatwarrior is on a distinguished road
I was at the game and my wife was taking photographs. Photos show numerous instances of Mentor holding and yet I don't think Mentor was flagged once for that infraction.

Was also pleased at the emergence of the junior Floyd. He was a very good back on his freshman and JV teams. He had some good carries in the McK scrimmage but did not play against Hoban. Could this lead to the use of a two-back set like last year's Bobinski-Andrews backfield? We'll see.

My guess is the medical tent is a promo item and did not cost the school anything because it is branded ("Powered by ...").
Old 09-02-17, 10:21 AM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
St. Ignatius football 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
A rather strange game with all the momentum shifts. The backbreaker for Mentor was the Ignatius TD ending the third quarter. A bright spot for Ignatius was the emergence of Floyd as a dependable running back. Also happy to see that Triv re-assserted his tradition of classlessness with his calling of the 2 TOs with less than a minute to go with the Cards down 10 and Ignatius deep in Mentor territory.

I'd say the egregious late hits on wr Logan Shea out of bounds and on wr Steven Baird after coming up from being down were a lot more classless than calling time outs (if you want to go there )

Ignatius was better but a lot of rose colored glasses in here. Mentor was driving down 17-10. Our qb missed a wide open wr by 8 yards to throw a costly int. That helped iggy a lot. Huge shift

Mentor showed fight til late when the d got gassed and iggy ran the ball at will

Score about indicated the way the game went. For those saying mentor held all game , you missed a lot of iggy holds too

I don't think either team looked like a powerhouse. And I think mentor would have some shot in a rematch. They would still be the underdog though

Old 09-02-17, 11:50 AM
All District

wildcatway is on a distinguished road
The hit on Baird in the second quarter was the fault of the officials. No malice meant. The hit on Floyd in the end zone after he ran all over the Mentor D was a cheap shot. As far as both teams not looking like powerhouses, it's week 2, lots of football left. The officiating in this game was poor, period. Both teams may have held on some plays, but only the Wildcats were called for it at the end of the game when trying to secure the win. The unsportsmanlike conduct penalty that led to a late score for Mentor was a complete joke. And again, the hit on Baird was the fault of the officials. No flag should have been thrown. That said the Cardinals will be fine and win a lot of games this year. Both teams will be much improved by November and a rematch will be interesting.
Old 09-02-17, 12:03 PM
All District

ottobschot is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ottobschot
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatway View Post
The hit on Baird in the second quarter was the fault of the officials. No malice meant. Both teams will be much improved by November and a rematch will be interesting.
Totally agree. Due to OHSAA's bonehead decision to schedule ALL playoff games on Friday night, you can expect the officiating to be much much worse during the potential rematch. The few competent refs there are will be spread too thin.
Old 09-02-17, 12:11 PM
All Yappi

Notice you didn't say anything about the egregious cheap shot on Logan Shea way out of bounds ..

Don't agree at all the Baird hit is on the officials. That was a big time cheap shot It was in the 4th quarter too so you are talking about a different play

He was down, got up and was leveled by a iggy guy after walking away a step or 2. Egregious and was flagged for it

The one you called a cheap shot was a push a half step into the end zone. The two hits on our top 2 playmakers were way more egregious

And this was only brought up here because iggy fan took a shot at triv using timeouts as being the classless thing

Old 09-02-17, 12:58 PM
All District

catmancando
Was in and out of the SIBN video streams of McK scrimmage and Hoban game, and wasn't able to watch last night, so I don't feel very informed on some of the nuances of the performances. That said, I've followed along and read the postgame content, so I have a few thoughts.

1. This team is a reminder, as always, that preseason expectations for HS teams are so much less valuable than pro and college, especially in football when underclassmen contributions are so much less frequent, so the known quantities are even fewer and the juniors' (and seniors' who didn't contribute much last year) emergence is so, so difficult to predict. I think this Ignatius team has the pieces in place to approach being as good as last year's; that's a sharp uptick from preseason expectations.

2. What a difference a schedule can make. It's still very early, but with a win next week, the difference between the Cats's playoff chances this year vs. 2015 are night and day.

3. I was a little concerned after the Solon and McKinley scrimmages. They're a combined 4-0, and the Bulldogs' wins have been in dominant fashion. Mitigates that concern a bit.

4. Encouraged by the yardage totals put up vs. the Cardinals. We know they don't emphasize keeping those totals down, but I thought the Cats did a better job moving the ball consistently/were less reliant on chunk plays than in Week 1.

5. Disappointed that the turnovers and penalties weren't cleaned up better between Hoban and Mentor. Would be encouraged to see those corrected against Euclid, even if it's offset by a regression in the offensive or defensive production/performance.
Old 09-02-17, 01:00 PM
All Ohio

Scipio is on a distinguished road
One of the problems is late whistles. I have noticed that it is getting worse and kids are going to get hurt.
Old 09-02-17, 01:14 PM
All World

tom 48 is on a distinguished road
"My guess is the medical tent is a promo item and did not cost the school anything because it is branded ("Powered by ...")."

It was a gift from an alum who runs the company.
Old 09-02-17, 01:18 PM
All Region

Wildcatwarrior is on a distinguished road
Was at the game and also saw the replay on Spectrum. The problem with the Baird hit was that I believe both he and the defender did not believe he was down after the initial hit. He kind of sat on the tackler through the initial hit and got back up starting to run. I did not hear a clear whistle after the initial hit. The Ignatius DB grabbed his foot and put him down a second time. While he was lying on his side, he was clearly hit late in the back by the Ignatius LB. This is what drew the penalty.
Old 09-02-17, 01:31 PM
All Yappi

Ignatius is not a dirty team. I only brought those up because of the unnecessary shot at triv (who some private school guys target repeatedly)...to show the hypocrisy of the classless claims in that game

I do think both shots were cheap and it was on our top 2 playmakers

But that was out of the norm for Ignatius as a whole to do that

Old 09-02-17, 04:09 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorGrad2002 View Post
And this was only brought up here because iggy fan took a shot at triv using timeouts as being the classless thing

And what was the football purpose of calling those two TOs?