Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-30-17, 07:53 PM
Varsity

Cville-OMW is on a distinguished road
Jet I did not fare so well, but here goes another week!!!

FAIRBANKS over Fisher Catholic - my hometown boys put it on FC even after giving them 2 scores, I like FBanks even on the road

MECHANICSBURG over Riverside - the last 4 years payoff for Burg, winning culture picks up key win on the road

NORTHEASTERN over Northwestern - another road win for the OHC

North Union over TRIAD - NU seems to have dropped from 3-4 years ago, but after week 1 gotta believe they still got enough for Triad

WEST JEFFERSON over Adena - WJ picking up another road win for OHC

WEST LIBERTY-SALEM over Ben Logan - not sure WLS can get this one, but like them even on the road, plus pulling for the Harbins

Graham over CATHOLIC CENTRAL - did not catch the stats but Graham kept close to WLS, plus former WJ player is now head coach at Graham

Strasburg over CEDARVILLE - the struggles continue for Cedarville

GREENEVIEW over Waynesville - Gview rollling on the road, Waynesville down from 2-3 years ago

Ft. Loramie over GREENON - not sure here, but following the more experienced folks here with struggles continuing for Greenon

London over MADISON PLAINS - Would like to see MP win for OHC, but not sold on them yet and thinking London offense too much for them to overcome

Southeastern [Chillicothe] over SOUTHEASTERN [S. Charleston] - again not sure here, but seems this is another OHC team who has been on the struggle bus
Old 08-30-17, 10:00 PM
All Region

Jet19 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cville-OMW View Post
Jet I did not fare so well, but here goes another week!!!

FAIRBANKS over Fisher Catholic - my hometown boys put it on FC even after giving them 2 scores, I like FBanks even on the road

MECHANICSBURG over Riverside - the last 4 years payoff for Burg, winning culture picks up key win on the road

NORTHEASTERN over Northwestern - another road win for the OHC

North Union over TRIAD - NU seems to have dropped from 3-4 years ago, but after week 1 gotta believe they still got enough for Triad

WEST JEFFERSON over Adena - WJ picking up another road win for OHC

WEST LIBERTY-SALEM over Ben Logan - not sure WLS can get this one, but like them even on the road, plus pulling for the Harbins

Graham over CATHOLIC CENTRAL - did not catch the stats but Graham kept close to WLS, plus former WJ player is now head coach at Graham

Strasburg over CEDARVILLE - the struggles continue for Cedarville

GREENEVIEW over Waynesville - Gview rollling on the road, Waynesville down from 2-3 years ago

Ft. Loramie over GREENON - not sure here, but following the more experienced folks here with struggles continuing for Greenon

London over MADISON PLAINS - Would like to see MP win for OHC, but not sold on them yet and thinking London offense too much for them to overcome

Southeastern [Chillicothe] over SOUTHEASTERN [S. Charleston] - again not sure here, but seems this is another OHC team who has been on the struggle bus
Tough year for picks with graduation and new league format. Still fun though. I am really interested in the Graham vs Central game this week. I think that one will answer a lot of questions.
Old 08-31-17, 01:03 AM
Freshman

WestJefferson is on a distinguished road
WJ is going to have trouble this year. I hope they prove me wrong. I want to be proved wrong. I just don't see it happening.
Old 08-31-17, 12:23 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestJefferson View Post
WJ is going to have trouble this year. I hope they prove me wrong. I want to be proved wrong. I just don't see it happening.
I think they will roll until they play Catholic Central week 5. I still like West Jefferson in that one, but if Central is healthy it will be a decent game.
Old 08-31-17, 01:11 PM
All District

Bluehawg is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=WestJefferson;6822064]WJ is going to have trouble this year. I hope they prove me wrong. I want to be proved wrong. I just don't see it happening.[/QUOTE

Troll much? Lol
Old 08-31-17, 01:28 PM
All Region

Cool Away teams

I have away teams winning 10 games this Friday. 5 really good games on the slate.
Old 08-31-17, 04:49 PM
Freshman

WestJefferson is on a distinguished road
No trolling here. I get that week one has just passed and now week two is upon us. What I saw from WJ last week and the past two seasons doesn't show a team trending upward. The turnovers were horrendous. If Columbus Crusaders had any passing attack, they may have beat WJ. CC(not referring to central catholic) could not capitalize on the turnovers, with exception of one pick six, their only score. Luckily, WJ got a win that doesn't count for points, or anything other than a confidence booster;maybe that's a spark they'll need to make a run.

Also, The OHC would have been a better fit 2007-2012 time period, rather than now.
WJ will run if this league bites them in the butt. It took going to a weak league at the time in the MSL Cardinal to rejuvenate the program. Playing very inferior opponents for the first four years. Eventually, competition caught up and the league shifted for the better. The travel just didn't make since, I'm sure other aspects played into it. Licking Heights left, Liberty Union was getting really good, Harvest Prep was and is really still on the cusp.

MSL Ohio, now that was a good league for WJ. WJ was close to the members in that league. It made sense. The computer points were there. It was an awesome mix of schools and rivalries were starting. Grandview and Bexley were hard hitting and drama filled games. There was a certain level of toughness in that particular league. WJ being a playoff contender, this was the league to get WJ playoff ready. After the final four run and final 8 the following year, it seemed WJ was poised to make a huge run. On paper WJ returned a strong o-line and a ton of starters from the year before. That was the beginning of the end. Burg literally ate that team, I'm serious, kids on that team had their souls devoured. The WJ spread attack wasn't there. The power run game produced some results, but WJ wants the QB to be focal point. That hurt them. I'm just speaking to what I witnessed, I don't know what else went on. I know some players felt distrust and defeated. Anyway, that season had some moments that made people smile. Finished the season with a big win. The thoughts in the community? "wait til next year".

Next year came. Nothing changed, it got worse. It was a rebuilding year, you can give them that, but WJ normally doesn't have to rebuild, they just reload. There were athletes,but the culture seemed missing. An Identity was emerging. A very disappointing year.

This year, WJ has got away from their winning ways. Most of these kids don't have that playoff experience, I hope they have hunger though. The move to the OHC where in years past the teams have been very impressive,I hope that continues. Maybe WJ calculated the move just in time to rule the league for a year or two, to help get their swagger back. I love the thought of playing WLS and Burg as conference games. I'd love for WJ to revive themselves and this community(the crowd for the WJ game was pathetic, students were loud, better than in years past, but overall turnout was blah). It has potential to be a very fun league and competitive, i hope. At least the North Division.

Go WJ !
Old 08-31-17, 06:54 PM
All Ohio

The Dock is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Also, The OHC would have been a better fit 2007-2012 time period, rather than now.
WJ will run if this league bites them in the butt. It took going to a weak league at the time in the MSL Cardinal to rejuvenate the program. Playing very inferior opponents for the first four years. Eventually, competition caught up and the league shifted for the better. The travel just didn't make since, I'm sure other aspects played into it. Licking Heights left, Liberty Union was getting really good, Harvest Prep was and is really still on the cusp.
Those WJ teams in 2006 and 2007 were great, but it's a bit much to undersell some of the teams they beat then. Granted, 3/7 of their league games would be against bad teams, but those schools were also very small. WJ doesn't win the MSL-Cardinal their last few years because some of those teams that were middle of the pack when WJ came in (LH & Grandview, also Liberty Union) just outworked WJ and didn't lose games they should have.
Old 09-01-17, 06:49 AM
All Region

wls_color is on a distinguished road
Quote:
No trolling here. I get that week one has just passed and now week two is upon us. What I saw from WJ last week and the past two seasons doesn't show a team trending upward. The turnovers were horrendous. If Columbus Crusaders had any passing attack, they may have beat WJ. CC(not referring to central catholic) could not capitalize on the turnovers, with exception of one pick six, their only score. Luckily, WJ got a win that doesn't count for points, or anything other than a confidence booster;maybe that's a spark they'll need to make a run.

MSL Ohio, now that was a good league for WJ. WJ was close to the members in that league. It made sense. The computer points were there. It was an awesome mix of schools and rivalries were starting. Grandview and Bexley were hard hitting and drama filled games. There was a certain level of toughness in that particular league. WJ being a playoff contender, this was the league to get WJ playoff ready. After the final four run and final 8 the following year, it seemed WJ was poised to make a huge run. On paper WJ returned a strong o-line and a ton of starters from the year before. That was the beginning of the end. Burg literally ate that team, I'm serious, kids on that team had their souls devoured. The WJ spread attack wasn't there. The power run game produced some results, but WJ wants the QB to be focal point. That hurt them. I'm just speaking to what I witnessed, I don't know what else went on. I know some players felt distrust and defeated. Anyway, that season had some moments that made people smile. Finished the season with a big win. The thoughts in the community? "wait til next year".

Next year came. Nothing changed, it got worse. It was a rebuilding year, you can give them that, but WJ normally doesn't have to rebuild, they just reload. There were athletes,but the culture seemed missing. An Identity was emerging. A very disappointing year.

This year, WJ has got away from their winning ways. Most of these kids don't have that playoff experience, I hope they have hunger though. The move to the OHC where in years past the teams have been very impressive,I hope that continues. Maybe WJ calculated the move just in time to rule the league for a year or two, to help get their swagger back. I love the thought of playing WLS and Burg as conference games. I'd love for WJ to revive themselves and this community(the crowd for the WJ game was pathetic, students were loud, better than in years past, but overall turnout was blah). It has potential to be a very fun league and competitive, i hope. At least the North Division.

Go WJ !
The North does have a lot of potential. I just wish they had approved North Union, that would have been a huge difference maker in quality of the conference. A division of Fairbanks, Mechanicsburg, North Union, Triad, West Jefferson and WL-Salem would have been one of the best small school divisions, aside from the MAC obviously, in the state probably (talking all around, top to bottom).

I highly doubt that WJ moved to the OHC just because they knew it was a down year for the 2 powers and they wanted to win some conference titles to revive the program. I think they saw the size of the schools, the locality of them (I believe WLS Is the furthest and it's just under an hour drive) and that the OHC is pretty competitive in most every sport - football is probably where the schools are the LEAST competitive at a state level, believe it or not.
Old 09-01-17, 12:00 PM
All Ohio

The Dock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cville-OMW View Post

Good call. CalPreps has Fairbanks as a 34 point favorite, but obviously it's early in the year so it's likely based off of limited data.

Fairbanks looks nice, that Sloan kid was electric in their scrimmy versus Amanda.

FC might give them a slightly better game than expected - the Irish are pretty improved. Decent passing attack for FC, the Irish may be a 6 or 7 win team this year.

It will be very rainy and wet tonight, so we'll see how well Fulton Field holds up. I expect Fairbanks to name the score, though.
Old 09-01-17, 09:04 PM
All Region

wls_color is on a distinguished road
Burg is the real deal and is the favorite in the north based on what I saw tonight. WLS is also better than I thought. I think the north is a pretty even 3-team race, with Burg slightly ahead of the other 2.

Nice week Indians and Tigers.
Old 09-01-17, 09:26 PM
Varsity

roughriderpride is on a distinguished road
I think wj will be unbeaten when they play Burg and if Burg beats wls then that game should be for the league.
Old 09-02-17, 08:50 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by wls_color View Post
Burg is the real deal and is the favorite in the north based on what I saw tonight. WLS is also better than I thought. I think the north is a pretty even 3-team race, with Burg slightly ahead of the other 2.

I had to look at that Burg vs Riverside score twice when I saw it. Wow. Is there another Romero that I don't know about playing for the Burg now? lol
Old 09-02-17, 11:21 AM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
It appears the big reveal in week two is that Graham is a whole lot better than I think most thought. The week 1 and jamboree results between them and the Tigers and Indians had a lot more to do with them improving than with WLS and M'Burg falling off.
Old 09-02-17, 11:43 AM
All Region

Graham has a brutal schedule coming up, but I agree based on the results so far that WLS and Burg are still playing good football with the high losses to graduation. The OHC North might even be a little better than everyone thought. If Graham can beat Lehman Catholic next week they will establish themselves.
Old 09-02-17, 01:12 PM
All Region

Week 3 picks

My picks for week 3

West Liberty over Cedarville
West Jefferson over Greenon
Mechanicsburg over Southeastern
Northeastern over Madison Plains
Greeneview over Fairbanks
Catholic Central over Triad

Projected standings after week 3
North
1. West Jefferson 3-0
1. West Liberty 3-0
1. Mechanicsburg 3-0
4. Fairbanks 1-2
4. Northeastern 1-2
6. Triad 0-3

South
1. Greeneview 3-0
2. Catholic Central 2-1
3. Madison Plains 1-2
4. Greenon 0-2
5. Southeastern 0-3
5. Cedarville 0-3
Old 09-02-17, 02:44 PM
Varsity

Down The Road is on a distinguished road
Quote:

It was a good week for the Burg and WLS.
It is waaaaayyyy early to say this but I think WLS probably has a playoff berth 95% wrapped up by starting 2-0 over 2 schools that should give a pile of points and they will only be challenged in 2 games the rest of the season. The Burg's early season opponents won't offer up as many computer points and out of WLS, WJ and The Burg is the only one that has to play Greeneview & MP. But a good start for a young Indians team none the less.

All that said West Jeff is the clear cut favorite in the north and they don't have to play Greeneview in the cross over games. Watching them over the last several years they have been a young team that is close to coming together, now they have arrived and will roll this season.
Old 09-02-17, 05:46 PM
Junior Varsity

OHC is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure that I agree that West Jeff is the "clear cut favorite" in the north. We may be having another conversation about all of this later on in the season, but the only clear cut thing in the entire OHC is that Greeneview is the best team in the south, and the north has 3 good teams that will have to battle it out for that spot. Unless Romero is back with another year of eligibility at the 'Burg, we are far off from a clear cut favorite. No offense to West Jeff and their fans, but I think that they may be underestimating the competition of the top tier teams in the OHC. Once again, we may be having another conversation at the end of the season, but don't be surprised if it is not as clear cut easy as you think that it is going to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-02-17, 06:31 PM
All Region

I agree 100%. This could be an everybody beats everybody OHC North 3 way championship. As Warrior eluded to earlier in the thread, I think Graham really gave us the best measuring stick for the OHC with the 13-7 jam vs the Burg, the 28-27 loss by missing a last second FG to WLS, and Graham dominating Catholic Central. West Jefferson will not be truly battle tested until they play Mechanicsburg week 7. Mechanicsburg has already been battle tested by Graham and Riverside, and will have been from Greeneview and West Liberty-Salem by the time that matchup happens.

I am curious as to what everyone thinks Fairbanks chances are against Greeneview next Friday.
Old 09-02-17, 07:11 PM
All Yappi

Results vs. the same opponent aren't always apples to apples, but my expectations aren't high when they lost by two scores to a Ben Logan team that just lost by 30 to West Liberty. I'd think Greeneview is a pretty heavy favorite here.
Old 09-02-17, 08:46 PM
All District

Bluehawg is on a distinguished road
This from a WJ fan, do not give these boys anything they haven't deserved. All of these boys have been a part of back to back 4 and 6 seasons. They can't be favored to do anything just yet. They've looked good yes. Even preseason looked damn good against what looks to be a damn good London team. But the Burg has looked good as well and that's pretty impressive considering who they lost. If WJ wants to be the favorite their going to need to beat the Burg first. That being said WJ has taken care of business nicely so far.
Old 09-02-17, 09:35 PM
All Yappi

London's another team that seems to possibly be a whole lot better than I expected this year. They blasted Urbana and Plains the first two weeks. Urbana beat Stebbins this week and WLS in the jamboree. Plains beat Westfall last week, and the Mustangs got a nice win this week over a county rival they've struggled a lot against in recent years, Logan Elm.

I'm very curious about Plains versus Northeastern this week. From the jamboree through week two, they still seem like a team that's it's hard to gauge how they measure up against most of the OHC.
Old 09-03-17, 08:53 AM
Varsity

Down The Road is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHC View Post
I'm not sure that I agree that West Jeff is the "clear cut favorite" in the north. We may be having another conversation about all of this later on in the season, but the only clear cut thing in the entire OHC is that Greeneview is the best team in the south, and the north has 3 good teams that will have to battle it out for that spot. Unless Romero is back with another year of eligibility at the 'Burg, we are far off from a clear cut favorite. No offense to West Jeff and their fans, but I think that they may be underestimating the competition of the top tier teams in the OHC. Once again, we may be having another conversation at the end of the season, but don't be surprised if it is not as clear cut easy as you think that it is going to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When you use the term "we" in the above quote I assume you are talking about WLS? Based on your other posts. Just looking for clarity. Or maybe you meant it as the larger we as in all of us are with out a clear cut favorite.
Honest question not trying to pick a fight.
Old 09-03-17, 09:32 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwarrior09 View Post
Results vs. the same opponent aren't always apples to apples, but my expectations aren't high when they lost by two scores to a Ben Logan team that just lost by 30 to West Liberty. I'd think Greeneview is a pretty heavy favorite here.
I know common opponents don't always matter because sometimes certain teams matchup better against others, but it is a good measuring stick for trying to gauge how good a team really is. I was just curious about Fairbanks because all I saw was the final score vs Ben Logan and not the meat and potatoes. I figured they would roll in week 2. And Greeneview hasn't played playoff caliber teams.

Greeneview VS Mechanicsburg will be a good one week 4. Also wonder if Northwestern can beat Milton-Union, I was surprised to see NW schedule that one.
Old 09-03-17, 09:49 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwarrior09 View Post
London's another team that seems to possibly be a whole lot better than I expected this year. They blasted Urbana and Plains the first two weeks. Urbana beat Stebbins this week and WLS in the jamboree. Plains beat Westfall last week, and the Mustangs got a nice win this week over a county rival they've struggled a lot against in recent years, Logan Elm.

I'm very curious about Plains versus Northeastern this week. From the jamboree through week two, they still seem like a team that's it's hard to gauge how they measure up against most of the OHC.
I think Northeastern @ Plains will be a close game. Prob be one of those games where the small things really count and which way the football gods roll the ball. Kinda like how NW beat the Jets last week. lol. I would pick Kenton Ridge or Northwestern to beat Plains right now, so I think NE can win if they don't make the small mistakes. On the other side of the token I think Plains will be fired up at home and want to make a statement in their 1st ever OHC game.
Old 09-03-17, 10:50 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet19 View Post
Greeneview VS Mechanicsburg will be a good one week 4. Also wonder if Northwestern can beat Milton-Union, I was surprised to see NW schedule that one.
I think NW was looking for anybody week 3 after playing Mechanicsburg the last two years lol. I actually kind of like it. They needed to get away from scheduling all OHC opponents weeks 1-3.

For about as long as I can remember, they've played SE week 1. For a while they played WLS and G'View, and they've replaced those week 2 and 3 games with NE, CC and Mechanicsburg in recent years. If Miami East is always a jamboree scrimmage and never a regular season game, IMO NW needs to always play somebody like Milton-Union, Bethel or Riverside.
Old 09-03-17, 11:01 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet19 View Post
I think Northeastern @ Plains will be a close game. Prob be one of those games where the small things really count and which way the football gods roll the ball. Kinda like how NW beat the Jets last week. lol. I would pick Kenton Ridge or Northwestern to beat Plains right now, so I think NE can win if they don't make the small mistakes. On the other side of the token I think Plains will be fired up at home and want to make a statement in their 1st ever OHC game.
Well, you don't need to worry about PATs deciding this one as Plains always goes for two lol.

I tend to think MP will be a bit better than most think. Last year in basketball they went from 3-20 to 13-10 in their first year in the OHC, which was one of the biggest improvements made by a D3/D4 team in this area. Most of that win total improvement was entirely playing similar schools instead of Bexley, Grandview, Worthington Christian, etc. I have a sneaking suspicion the same is going to happen in football. 2-8 to 5-5, 6-4 just based off of competition.
Old 09-03-17, 12:01 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I highly doubt that WJ moved to the OHC just because they knew it was a down year for the 2 powers and they wanted to win some conference titles to revive the program. I think they saw the size of the schools, the locality of them (I believe WLS Is the furthest and it's just under an hour drive) and that the OHC is pretty competitive in most every sport - football is probably where the schools are the LEAST competitive at a state level, believe it or not.
Since I missed this earlier, this was definitely not a football only move. Like Plains and now London (soon to be CBC bound), West Jeff figured out that their division in the MSL was a horrible demographic fit and that they were going to struggle to consistently compete across the board in all sports long-term if they stayed. Being in that hodge podge group with smaller Columbus suburban and private schools was a bad deal for the Madison County schools.
Old 09-03-17, 01:14 PM
Junior Varsity

OHC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down The Road View Post
When you use the term "we" in the above quote I assume you are talking about WLS? Based on your other posts. Just looking for clarity. Or maybe you meant it as the larger we as in all of us are with out a clear cut favorite.
Honest question not trying to pick a fight.

When a person selects one word out of an entire post for a question on clarification, why would anyone assume that you would be picking a fight? I, too, have read your posts, and since you have called out others in the past for false allegiances and passive aggressiveness, you seem to be insinuating that I am doing the same. My allegiance is to a number of OHC schools that have family members that are currently playing on or have played on in the past. My post from before was a very basic opinion about what my thoughts are, and what the thoughts are from other fans that I have talked to. The bottom line is, this thread is an avenue for fans to express their own opinions about the Ohio Heritage Conference in 2017. If my opinions or the opinions of others offend you in some way or go against your own beliefs, then there is a way to state your own thoughts without clarifications of a word or idea here or there. Sorry if you do not agree with my OPINIONS that I feel Mechanicsburg is overrated this season and would not be suprised if they lost to Greeneview / West Liberty / West Jefferson, or that West Jefferson should earn their reputation in the OHC before being handed the crown so prematurely, or that I feel Greeneview is the top team in the conference. I very well could be wrong about any or all of these things, but these are only my own personal opinions, and that is the purpose of this thread. I apologize that "we" were not more clear about that previously.
Old 09-03-17, 02:46 PM
All Region

Just out of curiosity. Does anyone know how the crossover scheduling will go in future years? Are all 3 games going to be home and home? Or is it going to rotate every season?