Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-27-16, 05:00 PM
Freshman

fball 1st is on a distinguished road
I can't believe all the ones jumping on me for me giving MY OPINION. This is all based on what I see when I watch the Burg play. Again MY OPINION. Some of you EXPERTS probably have less credentials than I have, but it is YOUR OPINION and I respect that. I have no respect for the ones that come right out with the name calling. I have played/graduated and done some coaching albeit at the lower levels and have turned down opportunities to help coach again because I do not support the current system at the school in several of the sports. I am happy the Burg is winning but I am not SATISFIED that, that is the best they can do. If you are SATISFIED as a coach or player then there will be no more improvement. So please read my posts carefully so you will comprehend what I am actually saying.

Please get back to OHC talk.

North--- West Jefferson

South--- Greeneview
Old 12-27-16, 06:05 PM
Freshman

NoDoubt is on a distinguished road
HAHAHA!

You are a joke!

Good lord, please please please if you are still coaching the young kids in the lower levels get out now. Wow I would never want you to coach my kid.... ever!

You say you "turned down" opportunities.....yet your hatetred just shows you must have been denied at some point. There is no room for poison like you in a school system.

You also said you are not satisfied with the success...,who ever said the Burg was satisfied? The ultimate goal is a state championship!
C'mon man you just got your feelings hurt at some point bc you were proved to be a fraud. Oh and now that everybody on the board has disagreed with your wrong opinion now you say let's focus on the OHC. Your a quitter, nobody likes a quitter.

I think you are the only person I've come across who is unhappy with the success of the last 4 years....That tells me everything I need to know about you.

Last edited by NoDoubt; 12-27-16 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-28-16, 09:09 AM
Varsity

WJ-OSU-STEELERS is on a distinguished road
West Jefferson has not done anything to be considered the favorite in the North for 2017. WJ is coming off of back to back 4-6 seasons, only the 5th & 6th losing seasons since 1958. This WJ team needs to worry about who they play in week 1. Mechanicsburg and WLS are the teams to beat in the North and until somebody beats them, the Burg are the champs.

As for the scheduling, I thought I read something that teams will only have 2 non-league games, 3 cross-over games and 5 league/division games. If this is correct, i definitely do not like it. I believe this makes it difficult to get computer points - the South Division does not have enough competitive teams. You could see a situation of a 9-1 team being a #5 seed or lower which means a first round road game or a 8-2 team not making the playoffs at all. This could definitely be a concern for WJ if they happen to move up to Div V.

Good luck to WJ in 2017!
Old 12-28-16, 09:45 AM
All District

wls_color is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ-OSU-STEELERS View Post
West Jefferson has not done anything to be considered the favorite in the North for 2017. WJ is coming off of back to back 4-6 seasons, only the 5th & 6th losing seasons since 1958. This WJ team needs to worry about who they play in week 1. Mechanicsburg and WLS are the teams to beat in the North and until somebody beats them, the Burg are the champs.

As for the scheduling, I thought I read something that teams will only have 2 non-league games, 3 cross-over games and 5 league/division games. If this is correct, i definitely do not like it. I believe this makes it difficult to get computer points - the South Division does not have enough competitive teams. You could see a situation of a 9-1 team being a #5 seed or lower which means a first round road game or a 8-2 team not making the playoffs at all. This could definitely be a concern for WJ if they happen to move up to Div V.

Good luck to WJ in 2017!
Thank you for chiming in. Looking forward to a WJ perspective...welcome to the league! The reason I picked WJ to win the North is because both Mechanicsburg and WLS have major holes to fill and my understanding is that WJ was fairly young last season. Who all do the Rough Riders return?
Old 01-20-17, 10:18 AM
Varsity

mcburg93 is on a distinguished road
Some good reading since I was on here last month.

In my opinion, the coaching staff could have done more to make Mechanicsburg competitive against ML. I have an issue with putting 20 people in a box and telling one of the best players in the state to find a hole and run the ball. But again that is my opinion. The Burg had success when they spread the field but yet they only done it for one series. Spread the field and let the best player on the field do what he does best. That was last season and why dwell on what couldve wouldve shouldve been.

I am not sure how this league will turn out this year. I think I would go with Greeneview to be the league champ. I think the Burg and WLS will do good things.

Welcome all new teams to the league. Hope it works out for everyone.
Old 04-06-17, 04:15 PM
Varsity

For the Ohio Heritage Conference, here is the preliminary #'s and divisions posted by the OHSAA today:

NORTH
Fairbanks* (2-8) 146 Boys + 4 Competitive Balance = 150 Div VI, 6th largest in OHC
Triad (1-9) 111 boys + 1 CB= 112 Div VII, 9th in OHC
Mechanicsburg (12-1) 110 boys + 12 CB = 122 Div VI, 8th in OHC
Northeastern (5-5) 146 boys + 12 CB = 158 Div VI, 5th in OHC
West Jefferson* (4-6) 153 boys + 12 CB = 165 Div V, 4th in OHC
W. Liberty-Salem (6-5) 130 boys + 14 CB = 144 Div VI, 7th in OHC

SOUTH
Springfield CC (6-5) 56 boys + 15 CB = 71 Div VII, 12th in OHC
Cedarville (0-10) 69 boys + 4 CB = 73 Div VII, 11th in OHC
Greeneview (9-3) 169 boys + 6 CB = 175 Div V, tied 1st in OHC
Greenon* (0-10) 157 boys + 18 CB = 175 Div V, tied 1st in OHC
Madison Plains* (2-8) 164 boys + 6 CB = 170 Div V, 3rd in OHC
Southeastern (3-7) 87 boys + 4 CB = 91 Div VII, 10th in OHC

* = New to OHC conference. Combined 2016 record of 4 new schools: 8-32, 20% winning percentage.

I'm concerned for football at Springfield CC and Cedarville with the low numbers they have. Just fielding a varsity team throughout the season must be challenging and I can't imagine either having a JV team. They must go into some Friday nights with 20 healthy bodies and probably 1/4 or more of them freshman. Hopefully the turnout #'s for football are good for each school and they stay healthy throughout the season.

Back to the scheduling I dislike the 2 non-league games, 3 cross-over games and 5 league/division game. A 3 non-league and 2 cross-over with 5 league/division games is much better and leaves it up to the school to make their schedule how they want it. This can hurt a Mechanicsburg, WLS and West Jeff especially since WJ appears to have moved up to Div V. This will be difficult to get computer points - the South Division simply does not have enough competitive teams or teams are Div VII. You could see a situation of a 9-1 team being a #5 seed or lower which means a first round road game or a 8-2 team not making the playoffs at all.

Good Luck to WJ and the rest of the OHC in 2017!
Old 04-07-17, 10:46 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ-OSU-STEELERS View Post
For the Ohio Heritage Conference, here is the preliminary #'s and divisions posted by the OHSAA today:

NORTH
Fairbanks* (2-8) 146 Boys + 4 Competitive Balance = 150 Div VI, 6th largest in OHC
Triad (1-9) 111 boys + 1 CB= 112 Div VII, 9th in OHC
Mechanicsburg (12-1) 110 boys + 12 CB = 122 Div VI, 8th in OHC
Northeastern (5-5) 146 boys + 12 CB = 158 Div VI, 5th in OHC
West Jefferson* (4-6) 153 boys + 12 CB = 165 Div V, 4th in OHC
W. Liberty-Salem (6-5) 130 boys + 14 CB = 144 Div VI, 7th in OHC

SOUTH
Springfield CC (6-5) 56 boys + 15 CB = 71 Div VII, 12th in OHC
Cedarville (0-10) 69 boys + 4 CB = 73 Div VII, 11th in OHC
Greeneview (9-3) 169 boys + 6 CB = 175 Div V, tied 1st in OHC
Greenon* (0-10) 157 boys + 18 CB = 175 Div V, tied 1st in OHC
Madison Plains* (2-8) 164 boys + 6 CB = 170 Div V, 3rd in OHC
Southeastern (3-7) 87 boys + 4 CB = 91 Div VII, 10th in OHC

* = New to OHC conference. Combined 2016 record of 4 new schools: 8-32, 20% winning percentage.

I'm concerned for football at Springfield CC and Cedarville with the low numbers they have. Just fielding a varsity team throughout the season must be challenging and I can't imagine either having a JV team. They must go into some Friday nights with 20 healthy bodies and probably 1/4 or more of them freshman. Hopefully the turnout #'s for football are good for each school and they stay healthy throughout the season.

Back to the scheduling I dislike the 2 non-league games, 3 cross-over games and 5 league/division game. A 3 non-league and 2 cross-over with 5 league/division games is much better and leaves it up to the school to make their schedule how they want it. This can hurt a Mechanicsburg, WLS and West Jeff especially since WJ appears to have moved up to Div V. This will be difficult to get computer points - the South Division simply does not have enough competitive teams or teams are Div VII. You could see a situation of a 9-1 team being a #5 seed or lower which means a first round road game or a 8-2 team not making the playoffs at all.

Good Luck to WJ and the rest of the OHC in 2017!
Nice work.

How is "competitive balance" figured? I didn't read into it too much. Just curious as to why a team like Coldwater has +3 and falls to D6 because of it; but a team like Northeastern has +12 (or WLS +12) but obviously aren't close to the same competitive level as Coldwater.

I'm not sure I like this new factor quite yet, but maybe that's because I do not understand it.
Old 07-25-17, 09:39 AM
All District

ttt

And I had my competitive balance questioned answered already, no need to address.

Almost time!
Old 07-28-17, 06:20 AM
Varsity

Purplepuma is on a distinguished road
I saw a thing on Twitter that Kasner step down as HC at Greenview, but will remain on staff for this year before retiring. It was from a newspaper but wanted to know if anybody else had heard anything.
Old 07-28-17, 07:47 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplepuma View Post
I saw a thing on Twitter that Kasner step down as HC at Greenview, but will remain on staff for this year before retiring. It was from a newspaper but wanted to know if anybody else had heard anything.
I saw that too. Stepping down as HC due to promotion to Vice Principal is what I read. I didn't see anything about retiring though? That would be a huge loss for the Rams.
Old 07-28-17, 11:18 AM
Varsity

Purplepuma is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wls_color View Post
I saw that too. Stepping down as HC due to promotion to Vice Principal is what I read. I didn't see anything about retiring though? That would be a huge loss for the Rams.
Maybe I just assumed he was. Most schools have policies that won't allow admins to be coaches, but I don't know what Greeneview's policies are. Kasner has had his staff there for awhile and I'm sure he has mentored a member to take over. But it certainly would be a change for them.
Old 08-08-17, 08:31 AM
Junior Varsity

Rabyman is on a distinguished road
Saw in the Springfield Sun Times that Catholic Central only has 18 kids on the team, and 4 of them are not ready for Varsity Football... Playing 10 games with only 14 available varsity level kids... Could be a rough go for Central this season if any of the Seniors suffers an injury.
Old 08-09-17, 04:35 PM
Junior Varsity

Cville-OMW is on a distinguished road
Looking forward to another year of HS football, I just love this time of year and look forward to visiting some new venues with the Riders entering the OHC this year.

I do agree with my WJ brethren and would not put WJ any higher than mid-pack this year as they have plenty to prove after the last 2 years. Burg put it on them both of those years getting some payback after WJ ran off a string of wins against them. I really enjoyed that series and will even enjoy more being in the same league.

Even with losing a such a successful class, I would still leave Burg towards the top as that type of success just seems to breed itself if the coaches keep things in order. WLS would also be towards the top, given their history and success over the past several years.

It appears several of the teams have had their own struggles as of late, and are suffering from some pretty low numbers even for small school football.

Just a bit over 2 weeks before football time!!!!!
Old 08-09-17, 05:18 PM
All World

Lionattack is on a distinguished road
Greenview scrimmaged Washington CH yesterday, Jamestown 1s v WCH 1s it was 14-13 Jamestown.

Scrimmage was 1 hour and half.
Jamestown had a good QB and WR, there passing game is solid.

They gave up some 2 long runs on defense, and WCH was able to pass the ball around pretty effectively.

They looked pretty solid.
Old 08-14-17, 02:32 PM
All District

As for the North...

This is the kind of year where you could see a Northeastern sneaking into a conference championship.

WLS and Burg have a lot of holes to fill - more Burg than WLS - but both have a lot. I was told West Jeff was young and talented last year, that's why I say they are the front-runners coming in.

Fairbanks is a sleeper IMO (they are on the verge of being really good again). Triad will be better, but I think it's going to be another tough year for the Cardinals.

On the south side...

Greeneview is probably in the driver's seat with Catholic Central (if they can stay healthy) behind them. I don't know much about MP, but I'm guessing they would fall somewhere in the middle of the pack. Southeastern should be much improved just for having Prince at the helm. Greenon and Cedarville will probably fight to stay out of the cellar.

Call me a negative nancy, but the OHC on paper looks to be down this year with no clear front-runner and a lot more questions than answers. I don't foresee any deep playoff runs either - especially with D6 & 7 loaded with MAC teams.
Old 08-14-17, 03:47 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
With only 16 players on the team I am not sure how Springfield CC can be competitive unless that information was incorrect....
Old 08-14-17, 05:24 PM
All Yappi

BlessEmAll is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BlessEmAll
Mechanicsburg is always a contender. Greenview took Coldwater to the limit last year and West Jeff is a great traditional power. Sounds strong.
Old 08-14-17, 07:11 PM
All Ohio

The Dock is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
With only 16 players on the team I am not sure how Springfield CC can be competitive unless that information was incorrect....
I've heard the same thing. It's really sad to see SCC have such low depth; Coach Dewitt always had great Irish squads.

As the City of Detroit proclaims, resurget cineribus.
Old 08-14-17, 08:03 PM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
I'm seeing some excessive humbleness here. Based off of what they had on offense last year, I'd be shocked if West Jefferson doesn't win at least 8 games. They scored often in most of their games last year; they just couldn't get enough stops in the MSL against the Bexleys and Grandviews. With the QB and skill players they have they'll light up the middling and lower OHC teams.

In the south division, I'd expect Madison-Plains to get a lot more competitive quickly. The last 3-4 years they've faired pretty well non-league against current OHC South competition and then fizzled in the MSL. A few years ago the 5-5 teams they've had probably go 7-3 or 8-2 with the schedule they now have.
Old 08-17-17, 02:57 AM
Junior Varsity

roughriderpride is on a distinguished road
WJ in their scrimmage against London this year was really hitting on D.
It had to be the hardest hitting wj scrimmage that I have seen since the 1980 scrimmages against Ready.
It was also the most flagged scrimmage I have ever seen PERIOD!
They showed a lot of passing on offense and Lambert at QB will have a great season throwing the ball.
This will be the first season that wj will return a qb since the 2009 season. (Mendenhall)
Then against Bloom Carroll, they really took it to them as well.
I already see a difference in this team from last years team especially on defense.
I know it's preseason but they looked a lot better now then this time a year ago.
Not saying that wj will come in and run the league but I convinced they will have a better season then last year and maybe win more games then the last 2 seasons combined.
With wj only have a 9 game schedule this year (Columbus Crusaders in week 1), I believe they will have to at least finish 9-1 to make the playoffs and that might not guarantee a home game!
Old 08-17-17, 07:12 AM
All American

El Indio is on a distinguished road
It's so hard to predict anything at this point. I look for Mec, WLS and WJ to contend for the north while GV takes the south. At this point, the south looks pretty weak. But who knows. Ced and Greenon will have a chance to win a game this year when they play each other. And they might win a few more. One thing about Greenon is they have a brutal schedule this year and they have a new coach. With low numbers in the south, injuries will play a huge part in the season. If they can stay healthy, there might be a contender for GV for the south.
Old 08-17-17, 09:34 AM
Varsity

Nice to hear that WJ is looking good thus far, especially on defense. WJ may only end up with 8 games if Springfield Central Catholic is not able to finish the season. I read that SCC has only 19 players out and 4 of them are simply not ready for varsity football. If SCC was unable to finish the season, it would definitely affect the playoff possibilities for Mechanicsburg, WLS and WJ. Has anyone heard how Cedarville's #s are this year?
Old 08-17-17, 02:26 PM
All District

Jet19 is on a distinguished road
CC #s

Low numbers have been a topic of discussion at Catholic Central for a long time. I remember in 2007 when they had Brian Wagner they had numbers is the low 20s I believe and were one game away from going to the state title game.
Old 08-17-17, 02:32 PM
All District

I have the OHC South
1. Greeneview
2. Southeastern
3. Madison Plains
4. Catholic Central
5. Greenon
6. Cedarville

It will be interesting to see what Coach Printz can do at SE. I have them as my sleeper team in the South because I don't see him losing there for very long if at all.
Old 08-17-17, 02:43 PM
All District

I have the OHC North
1. West Jefferson
2. West Liberty
3. Northeastern
4. Mechanicsburg
5. Fairbanks
6. Triad

Really hard to try and predict this season because of all the new teams and the difference in competition they faced in those old conferences. I think the Jets will surprise some teams this season. I am going to Northeastern's scrimmage game against Riverside tomorrow night at NE. I don't think Mechancisburg will drop far, but losing Romero is going to def hurt them. Looks like that week 9 battle between West Jeff and WLS will be a good one.
Old 08-18-17, 09:08 AM
All Yappi

I mostly agree with Jet. The teams that I feel uncertain about that could be wildcards are Southeastern and Mechanicsburg. IMO, Southeastern will improve rapidly over the next few years, but I'm not sure what to expect this year. I could see them anywhere from 2nd-4th in the South.

I could be wrong, but I believe Mechanicsburg is going to be a lot less experienced across the board this year, not just at QB. Depending on things I could probably see them finishing anywhere between a multi-team split for 1st and 4th.
Old 08-18-17, 05:57 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwarrior09 View Post
I mostly agree with Jet. The teams that I feel uncertain about that could be wildcards are Southeastern and Mechanicsburg. IMO, Southeastern will improve rapidly over the next few years, but I'm not sure what to expect this year. I could see them anywhere from 2nd-4th in the South.

I could be wrong, but I believe Mechanicsburg is going to be a lot less experienced across the board this year, not just at QB. Depending on things I could probably see them finishing anywhere between a multi-team split for 1st and 4th.
New coach at Greeneview and new QB as well. They went back and forth with Plains the last few years in week 2 and Plains had no trouble with SE or Cville. It will be interesting to see what Plains does against London in week 2 because I remember NE played London week 3 for many years and it was always a back and forth rivalry. I see Central as a huge wild card as well because you never know the level of their talent and IF and a big IF this year and that is IF they can stay healthy. I don't really see Central getting tested until West Liberty week 4. Even though the general consensus is that the OHC South is down compared to the North it will still be really competitive I think.
Old 08-18-17, 08:36 PM
All Yappi

No specifics on individual performance, but I heard from a family member that Plains beat Adena 44-7 tonight in their jamboree game.

I know Plains lost their QB and main RB from last year, but they have a few key guys back. I usually don't put much stock in JV football, but I believe they went 6-3 or 7-2 last year playing mostly MSL teams.
Old 08-18-17, 08:41 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet19 View Post
New coach at Greeneview and new QB as well. They went back and forth with Plains the last few years in week 2 and Plains had no trouble with SE or Cville. It will be interesting to see what Plains does against London in week 2 because I remember NE played London week 3 for many years and it was always a back and forth rivalry. I see Central as a huge wild card as well because you never know the level of their talent and IF and a big IF this year and that is IF they can stay healthy. I don't really see Central getting tested until West Liberty week 4. Even though the general consensus is that the OHC South is down compared to the North it will still be really competitive I think.
Actually, I just saw that about Greeneview having a coaching change. Plains has been a mixed bag against Greeneview lately. A couple nice wins, but also a couple blowout losses. Of late, it seems like MP usually has SE and C'Ville's number. Central always depends on if they have 2-3 studs. I believe they have the QB back from last year, but I'm not sure of what else. They had a solid record last year, but they beat a lot of bad teams.
Old 08-18-17, 10:00 PM
All Yappi

I'm seeing on social media Mechanicsburg beat Graham 13-7 in their jamboree game tonight.