Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-30-17, 01:17 PM
All Region

SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
Last 20 seconds of the game. Offense trailing by 5 points with the ball at their opponents 10 yard line with no timeouts left.

QB scrambles and is tackled at the 5. Game clock is at 8 seconds and will run out before the next snap but an offensive lineman is hurt on the play. How is the time handled? Player attended to and then start the clock on the ready for play?

What if the officials knew the injury was a fake, for example, they heard the coaches yelling for "#79 fall down" after the play. Would the end of the game end any differently? Is there a penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct?
Old 08-30-17, 06:15 PM
Freshman

maven is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAGuy View Post
Last 20 seconds of the game. Offense trailing by 5 points with the ball at their opponents 10 yard line with no timeouts left.

QB scrambles and is tackled at the 5. Game clock is at 8 seconds and will run out before the next snap but an offensive lineman is hurt on the play. How is the time handled? Player attended to and then start the clock on the ready for play?

What if the officials knew the injury was a fake, for example, they heard the coaches yelling for "#79 fall down" after the play. Would the end of the game end any differently? Is there a penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct?
If the officials judge that it's a bona fide injury, they would stop the clock for an officials' time out. You are correct, in that case they would start the clock on the ready for play. The injured player would need to sit out one play.

If they judge that he's faking, they could simply let time expire. But it would need to be pretty obvious to go that route. UNS would be way over the top.
Old 08-30-17, 08:18 PM
All World

AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
One would hope that a coach would not take advantage of how officials are instructed to react to injured players.

However, if there was no doubt that a player was not injured or there was no doubt that a coach instructed a player to fake that he was injured, and said player followed through on that instruction, then an unsportsmanlike conduct foul is most definitely in order here. In addition a game report to the state athletic association should be submitted outlining the coach's behavior.

Believe me, if conduct like that were to occur (and I am would be shocked if it came from a varsity coach) it would be dealt with severely.
Old 09-03-17, 09:20 PM
Junior Varsity

KramericaIndustries is on a distinguished road
1st play after a change of possession. Short pass play is caught in bounds but a holding penalty is assessed making it 1st and 20.

Refs start the clock on the ready for play and say the clock should run because the last play (which didn't count) was caught in bounds. Is that correct? Should the clock run?
Old 09-04-17, 05:43 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by KramericaIndustries View Post
1st play after a change of possession. Short pass play is caught in bounds but a holding penalty is assessed making it 1st and 20.

Refs start the clock on the ready for play and say the clock should run because the last play (which didn't count) was caught in bounds. Is that correct? Should the clock run?
Yes

The status of the clock is what it would have been absent the foul.
Old 09-08-17, 06:39 PM
All Ohio

Andy27 is on a distinguished road
Does it have to be a catchable pass to be pass interference in high school?
Old 09-08-17, 08:59 PM
All Region

bb9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy27 View Post
Does it have to be a catchable pass to be pass interference in high school?
No
Old 09-08-17, 10:23 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Does an ejected player have to leave the field? Are they then suspended for the next game too?
Old 09-08-17, 10:31 PM
All American

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
After an offensive penalty does the game clock start the same time the play clock starts or at the snap of the ball.
Old 09-09-17, 03:04 AM
Freshman

TBrink89 is on a distinguished road
Is their any rule/rules for the use of drones during games?
Old 09-09-17, 05:14 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Does an ejected player have to leave the field? Are they then suspended for the next game too?
Not unless they are creating an additional problem while on the bench. At that point the head coach will be directed to have the player leave the playing field under the supervision of a coach, administrator, adult....etc.....

Many years ago a player was ejected from an athletic contest (I believe it was baseball) and was ordered to leave. He went to the locker room unsupervised and trashed it, necessitating the OHSAA to implement this policy.

If a player is ejected from a football game, he/she is ineligible to participate in a football contest for the remainder of the day and is ineligible to participate in a football contest until one game has been played at the level he/she was ejected from.

Last edited by AllSports12; 09-09-17 at 05:55 AM.
Old 09-09-17, 05:56 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
After an offensive penalty does the game clock start the same time the play clock starts or at the snap of the ball.
Typically, the status of the clock remains what it would have been had the clock not been stopped for a foul and penalty administration.

Example >>>>>>> during a running play in which the runner is tackled in bounds, there is a foul for holding by the offense. The penalty would be enforced and the clock would start on the ready for play whistle, as the clock was running at the end of the play. Had the runner been declared out of bounds at the end of the play, the clock would start on the snap after the penalty enforcement.

There two exceptions to this....

1) The Referee can order the clock to start on the snap or the ready for play if he feels that a team has attempted to conserve or consume time illegally. (delay of game or false starts are a popular way to try to do this)

2) If the foul occurs inside the final two minutes of either half, the offended team may choose to have the clock start on the snap after an accepted penalty.

Last edited by AllSports12; 09-09-17 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-09-17, 06:09 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBrink89 View Post
Is their any rule/rules for the use of drones during games?
Drones are prohibited in OHSAA tournament contests, however during the regular season, they are permitted as long as the host school agrees.

Obviously, if the drone becomes a distraction, then it's use will be terminated for that game.

Last edited by AllSports12; 09-09-17 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-09-17, 11:50 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Saw this at our HS game last night - both teams set at the LOS, play clock going, and the defense is flagged for delay of game just before the snap.

I was in our pressbox - me and my spotter (along with nearby coaches) all said, "how can the D be called for delay of game?"

What is the likeliest reason for such a call? Someone suggested a defender was yelling signals to drown out the QB's signals, but I thought that was an unsportsmanlike conduct violation.
Old 09-09-17, 12:35 PM
Freshman

blacktim7 is on a distinguished road
What is the rule about having technology on the sidelines to review plays with players.?.....like a closed circuit tv with dvr or similar.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-17, 12:47 PM
All American

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktim7 View Post
What is the rule about having technology on the sidelines to review plays with players.?.....like a closed circuit tv with dvr or similar.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Legal.
Old 09-09-17, 03:54 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
Saw this at our HS game last night - both teams set at the LOS, play clock going, and the defense is flagged for delay of game just before the snap.

I was in our pressbox - me and my spotter (along with nearby coaches) all said, "how can the D be called for delay of game?"

What is the likeliest reason for such a call? Someone suggested a defender was yelling signals to drown out the QB's signals, but I thought that was an unsportsmanlike conduct violation.
Have no idea why the DOG foul in this situation as any disconcerting words or acts prior to the snap designed to interfere with the offense's signals or movement is illegal and unsporting.

Last edited by AllSports12; 09-10-17 at 06:19 AM.
Old 09-12-17, 11:14 AM
All Ohio

suplex21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
Have no idea why the DOG foul in this situation as any disconcerting words or acts prior to the snap designed to interfere with the offense's signals or movement is illegal and unsporting.
I believe it is the defense touching the ball after it is made ready for play.
Old 09-12-17, 08:18 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by suplex21 View Post
I believe it is the defense touching the ball after it is made ready for play.
According the the original post, both teams were "set". That tells me that the snapper has his hands on the ball.

If an opponent touches the ball at the point, an encroachment foul has occurred.
Old 09-13-17, 02:39 PM
All Ohio

OCC GUY is an unknown quantity at this point
Could the Clemson player that probed the Buckeye's rump with his hand have been ejected? Should he have been suspended? Could it have been a legal issue outside of the NCAA?

Being serious here! That was crazy!
Old 09-13-17, 08:32 PM
All World

This isn't the place for this, however the answer is...

No to all three

Last edited by AllSports12; 09-14-17 at 05:52 AM.
Old 09-14-17, 08:32 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
how much do refs get paid to do games?
Old 09-14-17, 08:57 AM
All District

Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
I don't think it's a set amount everywhere. When I was a booster a few years back we paid $65 or $70
Old 09-14-17, 09:01 AM
All World

Quote:
It depends on the level, the conference, etc... There is set amount for regular season games.

The fees for tournament games are set by the OHSAA.
Old 09-15-17, 09:00 AM
All American

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I have been paid from $60 to $75 for varsity games this year.

Grades 7 - 8, $30 or $35.

Freshmen and JV, in between.
Old 09-16-17, 11:36 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Does "clipping" still exist as an NFHS football violation?

I can't remember the last time I saw it called or referred to, especially with the clarification and evolution of blocking violations that have been been implemented of late.

It seems to have been replaced mainly by "illegal block in the back" - and last week I heard a referee announce an "illegal blindside block".

I'm just curious if any officials on here have made an actuak clipping call in the last five years, or if any fans have seen one called - or if "clipping" will eventually disappear entirely.
Old 09-16-17, 12:43 PM
All World

Quote:
Does "clipping" still exist as an NFHS football violation?

I can't remember the last time I saw it called or referred to, especially with the clarification and evolution of blocking violations that have been been implemented of late.

It seems to have been replaced mainly by "illegal block in the back" - and last week I heard a referee announce an "illegal blindside block".

I'm just curious if any officials on here have made an actuak clipping call in the last five years, or if any fans have seen one called - or if "clipping" will eventually disappear entirely.
Clipping is a block against an opponent where the initial contact is from behind and at or below the waist. (except when performed against the runner or anyone pretending to be a runner... i.e --> carrying out a fake)

If the initial contact is above the waist then, it's an illegal block in the back. (same penalty)

Clipping was legal in the FBZ until last year. Now, it is illegal anywhere on the field.

As far as why you don't see these called...... Since the initial contact has to be at or below the waist and from behind along with the fact that it's been illegal to block anyone below the waist (outside the Free Blocking Zone) for so long, it just doesn't happen very often.
Old 09-17-17, 08:33 AM
All American

oxat622
Stemming from the Miami/UC game last night. Say there's a full play clock and a coach tells you he wants a timeout with two seconds left. He still actually has to signal for the timeout at two seconds, right? You don't just grant it to him regardless, right?
Old 09-17-17, 10:10 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxat622 View Post
Stemming from the Miami/UC game last night. Say there's a full play clock and a coach tells you he wants a timeout with two seconds left. He still actually has to signal for the timeout at two seconds, right? You don't just grant it to him regardless, right?
Here's why we don't act on 'projected" decisions.......

What if he changes his mind, as coaches tend to do many times a game regarding decision making? The possibilities and outcomes are endless..... most of which are not good for that team.

When a coach tells us he wants a time out in the future, we tell him "I'll be ready for you, but you must request it".
Old 09-17-17, 04:39 PM
All District

zebrastripes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
and last week I heard a referee announce an "illegal blindside block".
This is based on the new NFHS rule which prohibits blindside blocks unless initiated with open hands.