Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who wins?
Jackson wins 6 22.22%
Perry wins 21 77.78%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-12-17, 10:39 AM
All Yappi

perry1480 is on a distinguished road
Week 4: Perry v. Jackson (First big Fed matchup)

Thoughts?

Perry's D is solid. The O is coming along.

Jackson's got the O going, but not necessarily the D.

This looks like Perry's first real test. Pallotta can make plays

For Jackson, it seems like they've had the tougher tests so far, but none tougher than Perry... that is if Perry is a tough opponent.

I think the advantage goes to Perry right now. Even a developing wing T offense can succeed if Jackson is struggling on D... which keeps Jackson's big offense off the field.

Lots of ifs that we'll have answered late Friday night!

Should be a great game... nice to this rivalry meaning something as of the last few years.

Last edited by perry1480; 09-12-17 at 10:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-17, 11:19 AM
All American

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
If Jackson wants to win they can't dig a 19-0 hole or allow busted plays from 80 yards out. The coaches also need to make a few more commonsense decisions on 3rd and 4th down. The defense was getting torched by Boardman... they allowed over half of Boardman's total offense on the ground in just the 1st quarter. But they did tighten up and get themselves back in it. But still, other than part of the Boardman game and the Mayfield game, the run defense isn't showing much. In a way I think the way the Boardman game went can be a positive, in that they encountered extreme adversity and hopefully have learned what NOT to do against a quality opponent, and O'Horo (who is everything the Boardman fans said he was) gave them the best preview possible of what's coming. So they'll need an answer for Baker more than anybody or it could be a long night.

With Perry the main question remains their schedule so far. None of them are good, no offense to them. So they need to avoid what happened to Jackson last week -- don't get caught off guard, and don't panic when Pallotta gets his yards. With Wakefield in charge I'm sure they're getting prepared for exactly that. The defense should shut down most of the running game but don't think that's enough to take Jackson out of it. Replicating last year's 3-pick effort against Pallotta would put them easily in the driver's seat. Perry's secondary might be the ultimate difference maker -- in all of Jackson's losses since last year except St. Ignatius, the deciding play was an interception.

Not exactly rocket science on this one but it comes down to whether or not Jackson's defense can slow Perry at all. They don't have to stop them and probably won't. Make Perry chew a lot of clock, hoping that the Panther offense is still developing and knowing that you have a threat to score from every point on the field and you can force them to spend another 6-8 minutes on a drive having to avoid making any kind of mistake -- Jackson has been forcing a lot of turnovers. But if they can't do that, Perry probably wins by 2 scores.

I like a 38-31 type decision either way. Agree, glad to see this one be meaningful again. Best of luck to both teams!

Last edited by jackson03; 09-12-17 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-12-17, 11:54 AM
All Yappi

Perry's secondary is pretty good. I think Jacksons O v. Perry's D will be worth the price of admission.

I think regardless of schedule, Perry's offense has a distinct advantage against Jackson's D and in my mind that will be the difference in an otherwise great matchup. I can't see any team hitting 30 pts.

26-21 either way

I also said Hudson would keep it close with McKinley so what do I know?
What would yappi be like with worthless predictions?
Old 09-12-17, 12:06 PM
All Yappi

Perry 67 is on a distinguished road
Cool Pallotta

Pallotta is the whole deal. In this game and just about any other sport he plays. Fantastic athlete. I am not sure you would want Perry to chew clock, especially if they are already ahead. But I think I know what you are talking about. When a passing team gets ahead we (Perry) needs to score each time no matter how long it takes. Quick scoring machines can take the wind out of a teams sails quickly. So we have to play an all around good ball game. Good luck to both teams.
Old 09-12-17, 12:28 PM
All American

http://fridaynightohio.com/news/1342...ainst-jackson/

Quote:
"I don't see any weaknesses in their team," Wakefield said. "I don't want it to sound wrong, but they could play with anybody. They're the best-looking team in my five years back, other than one year, in Stark County that I've played against. We've played Massillon; we've played McKinley, and it's no slight to them. Jackson looks the part."
Pretty high praise from Wakefield. Sandbagging? Who would the best team be since 2012?
Old 09-12-17, 12:38 PM
All American

By the way, WHBC has changed their schedule. This game is now the Friday night main radio game. Thought that might happen.
Old 09-12-17, 01:44 PM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry1480 View Post
What would yappi be like with worthless predictions?
It would be just what it is now because that's what we've already got.
Old 09-12-17, 02:34 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
It would be just what it is now because that's what we've already got.
Is that a Yogi Berra quote?
Old 09-12-17, 06:00 PM
All Ohio

Purple Hayes
I'm hoping Jackson can pop a couple of big plays on the outside to be the difference. I just don't think that will be enough though. If things continue the way they are, Jackson's defense will be on the field all night.

Unless I'm missing something, Perry is a close #2 behind McKinley in the county at this point. I don't care who they have or haven't played yet. Everybody else is way behind.
Old 09-12-17, 07:53 PM
All Yappi

The Butler is on a distinguished road
May not be the big league rival for most Jackson fans (it's Hoover), for this Panther fan it's our biggest rival.

Go Perry!
Old 09-12-17, 08:09 PM
All World

BHSspartans13 is on a distinguished road
Jackson is going to need to make better reads on defense. Palmisano was pretty much calling out which plays would go for big gains for Boardman and Perry will only be tougher when it comes to executing reads, misdirections, etc. That being said, good luck to both but Go Bears!
Old 09-12-17, 09:07 PM
All World

BIG ED is on a distinguished road
This (and Hoover) are the Panthers oldest series rivals. It started in 1957, when Perry had its first year of varsity football, with no seniors on the team. Robert Fife felt no sympathy for the young Panthers in a 59-0 drubbing. According to my father who was at the game and Vice President of the Boosters, first year Perry head coach Jerry Wampfler was very upset that Fife left his first team players late in the fourth quarter to score two more times against his young Perry team and a rivalry, in Perry's fans eyes, was born. It would take the Panthers 4 more tries to beat the more established Jackson program in 1961....8-6 at Jackson. It's said Coach Wampfler led the cheering on the team bus and they never stopped till they got back to Perry, where fans and parents were waiting beeping their horns and out of their cars clapping & cheering the team as they got off the bus. A little history, thanks to my late father and my brother, a 62 grad.

61 years later Perry leads the series 30-26-4
Amazingly enough, in the last 20 meetings, each team has won 10.
22 games have been decided by 7 points or less.
From 1969 through 1984 the Panthers dominated the series winning 12, losing 2 with 2 ties.
Jackson has had two three game winning streaks recently from 03-05 and 11-13.
Old 09-13-17, 07:57 AM
All Yappi

Great history BE!!

a very even series... and 4 ties as well!

poll added to the thread as well
Old 09-13-17, 10:25 AM
All American

This game was always crucial in the FLC race from the mid 80s to early 00s. Then after Wakefield and Mauro left, it fell off the radar for a while. That 2014 game seemed to breathe new life into it.

Weather is looking near perfect... 72 degrees, partly cloudy, and 3mph winds at kickoff. Any rain will have stopped the previous day, so no slick conditions. Could be a good crowd.
Old 09-13-17, 10:35 AM
All American

Journey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson03 View Post
http://fridaynightohio.com/news/1342...ainst-jackson/

Pretty high praise from Wakefield. Sandbagging? Who would the best team be since 2012?
I dont think Coach Wakefield knows how to sandbag.
Old 09-13-17, 01:29 PM
All Ohio

Purple Hayes
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson03 View Post
This game was always crucial in the FLC race from the mid 80s to early 00s. Then after Wakefield and Mauro left, it fell off the radar for a while. That 2014 game seemed to breathe new life into it.
Thanks for adding the poll 1480!

We need to put our expert Big Ed to work. What were some of the past memories of games?

I seem to remember hearing about Tim Laps-led team running wild (1969?), the "tie" game in the 70s, a couple of strange games in the 80s and into the 90s/2000s where it seemed like one team was clearly better than the other.
Old 09-13-17, 04:16 PM
All Yappi

The Butler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED View Post
This (and Hoover) are the Panthers oldest series rivals. It started in 1957, when Perry had its first year of varsity football, ........................
Great post.

Thanks.
Old 09-13-17, 06:58 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHSspartans13 View Post
Jackson is going to need to make better reads on defense. Palmisano was pretty much calling out which plays would go for big gains for Boardman and Perry will only be tougher when it comes to executing reads, misdirections, etc. That being said, good luck to both but Go Bears!
I lost track of the number of times he'd say something like "don't do it guys" when Jackson was on defense and you'd have a quick Jax timeout called or see Boardman go for a 20+ yard run. They were glaringly out of alignment and obviously confused.

It's more inexperience than a lack of physicality. A 30-71 rushing line from a so-so Mayfield team gives some hope. But no excuses now after having seen Mentor, East, and Boardman. A whole different type of offense is coming and that's what trips people up against Perry, but it's not necessarily a better offense than what you've already seen. It need not be a perfect defensive performance, but come out from the outset like you did in the second half last week and your QB might get you the W.
Old 09-13-17, 07:07 PM
All Ohio

starkfb
Glad WHBC is how featuring this game-as it should be. GO PERRY !
Old 09-13-17, 10:24 PM
All World

The first four games that come to mind are 1967, 1969, 1973 and 74.
Two of them are so odd because, they're of all things, ties.

In 1967 both teams were on a collision course in week 8. Jackson was the more veteran team, the upstart Panthers were playing their best football having defeated defending league champ Glenwood the week before 6-0 on a blocked punt. Perry's defense was its strong point. Jackson and Perry were tied 8-8 on a cool damp night, with a strong wind that was a constant 20 mph, gusting to 35. The wind was knocking passes off course and blowing punts farther than normal and back towards the line of scrimmage. The game came down two goal line stands by Perry's the final 5 minutes. The Panthers were looking at a first and goal inside their 8 and stopped the Bears on four running plays, taking over on their 3. Jackson used two of their time outs forcing Perry to punt on fourth and one into the strong wind. The punt went maybe 15 yards. Jackson drove to the Panthers 2 with a first and goal. After two running plays up the middle that gained nothing, the Bears tried a sweep that was thrown for a loss back to the 4. After using their last time out, On fourth down they tried a QB roll out pass or run option. The QB rolled out found no one open and looked to have a path to the end zone, but was stopped at the half yard line on a diving tackle. Perry ran two plays and ran out the clock. This left Jackson with two ties and Perry with one in league play. If Perry won out, they'd win the FLC by a half game over Jackson even if they won out. Perry closed the season with wins over Louisville (a non league game that year) and Marlington, winning their first FLC under HC Tom Winkhart.

Last edited by BIG ED; 09-13-17 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09-13-17, 10:26 PM
All Ohio

wrestling125 is on a distinguished road
I am bringing onions to the game
Old 09-13-17, 11:19 PM
All Region

SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
I'll take Jackson in a close one. Jackson seems to be one of the best sports schools in the state and they should have a football team that is at the same level as many of their other sports.
Old 09-13-17, 11:42 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAGuy View Post
I'll take Jackson in a close one. Jackson seems to be one of the best sports schools in the state and they should have a football team that is at the same level as many of their other sports.
The football team has an overall winning record throughout its history, but the successful years have been punctuated by a lot of stretches of mediocre seasons. The late-40s to the mid-60s and the mid-80s to the mid-00s were their best eras. They have not gone on runs like they have in other sports. They do have a new coach that seems to have them more competitive and some definite talent, though.
Old 09-14-17, 04:20 AM
All Region

oliver hazard is on a distinguished road
I don't know whether this is folk lore or actual truth, but it may also explain why Jackson is such a rival to Perry besides the obvious next door neighbor and longevity of the series..

In early years, Perry had success against Jackson but Edison Jr High vs. Jackson (Souer?) was a different story. I was told by my coaches in 8th grade (1973) that our tie vs. Jackson was the first non-loss to Jackson by a 7th or 8th grade team in Edison history. The scene back then was that Jackson had one of the few midget league tackle football programs (Canton Mitey Mights being the only other I recall) and it was our excuse as to why they were always so much better.

Kind of crazy of all the fb I've played through college..... a tie in 8th grade vs. Jackson is top 3 most memorable.
Old 09-14-17, 08:32 AM
All District

Starkbuck is on a distinguished road
Having seen both teams I think I give the edge to Perry in this game because of their defense. Their defense is by far one of the best I have personally seen in a few years. They have a very nice compliment of speed and size that can match up with anyone they play. Offensively they fail to make some plays and lack the big home run threat. I know how Wakefield likes to grind out games, but if they want to compete amongst the best teams in the county and state, they cannot miss the home runs.

Jackson is an offensive machine and they will challenge any defense they play. However, their defense is beyond poor and against a team like Perry that will be a frustrating night. Jackson must make the best of each of their offensive possessions since Perry will likely burn the clock, and wear down the defense. If Perry gets a lead early, it could be a tough task for Jackson to mount enough stops and scores on this team.

I think Perry wins 21-14.
Old 09-14-17, 08:37 AM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
I was going to pick Perry before KW said this was the 2nd best team he ever saw since returning, so now I have Jackson by 17.
Old 09-14-17, 08:39 AM
All American

Hayden Fox is an unknown quantity at this point
Great stuff gentleman on the history of this great rivalry.

I remember back in the 90's this used to be the battle of the dirt stache vs the popped collar.

I don't think Perry's defense has the personal in the secondary or on the line to stop Pallotta

On the flip side I'm not at all confident that Jackson LB and line can stop Perry's rushing attack.

I like Jackson just because they are at home, have played Perry tough in the past and have Pallotta behind center.

Should be a great night of football!

Old 09-14-17, 10:02 AM
All World

The next game on my list is 1969. Once again Jackson and Perry were on a collision course as both teams looked to be undefeated in week 8. Both were, but the week before their game with Perry, Jackson lost to Dover by a TD. Still, both teams had dominated their league opponents. It was Perry 7-0 and Jackson 6-1. There was more hype on this game by the local media than ever before. Articles everyday. Jackson held a rally where they buried a Panther in a coffin. Perry had two pep rallies. The sports writers in The Rep picked Jackson to win, the Independent writers picked Perry.
The demand for tickets was way up. In fact Massillon offered their stadium if the teams would have agreed to move the game to Saturday night. Massillon played at Warren that night, so that added to some of the ticket sales. Jackson borrowed bleachers (track seats) from every place they could get them. They even borrowed Massillon's track seats they used for McKinley games. Fife Stadium resembled a mini bowl as all these extra seats were placed in the end zones, next to the home and away sides and all four corners. I was a junior on that team, having just come off crutches for tearing all the ligaments and tendons opinion my right ankle.
As the Bears came out for pregame warmups, they had "Beat Perry" tape across the front of their helmets and held their fingers up signaling number one as they ran past the home faithful. The newspapers said there was over 5,000 at the game, but no one ever heard an official head count. We heard it was close to 8K, with all the extra seating.
The Panthers showed up in their all black uniforms as back in those days the home team wore light colors at home.
The Panthers recovered a fumble in the Bears first series and from that point on, it was the snowball rolling down the hill for the Bears. Perry scored 40 unanswered points by halftime. Tim Laps Stark's MVP that year, scored 4 TD's two of them on runs over 60 yards. The Panthers first offense played one series in the third quarter, scoring again, then they used their backups, until they cleared the bench in the fourth. When the confetti cleared it was 66-8 Perry.
Old 09-14-17, 10:57 AM
All Yappi

McK93 is on a distinguished road
I'm going with Coach Wakefield and the Panthers but it's a FED game so anyone can win. With Palotta the Bears always have a shot.
Old 09-14-17, 01:01 PM
All District

team all in is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWorm View Post
There is nothing better than a solid D, What does the girth look like? Size is always important when you are talking about the d..
I hate watching a soft d, so i agree about a nice solid d. Also, sometimes the d will bend but not break so that is a critical attribute about the d.