Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-13-17, 09:23 PM
All American

AHS2007 is on a distinguished road
I am thinking CC goes 6-4. Losses to Greenveiw, WLS, and West Jeff in the league, the MP game will be the toss up.
Old 09-13-17, 10:10 PM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
I have a feeling that a likely factor in that contest is going to be Central coming off of a two week stretch with West Liberty and West Jeff back to back.
Old 09-14-17, 08:27 AM
Freshman

oleballcoach45 is on a distinguished road
What's the story with NE? Aren't they a school with tradition of football? Watched them play twice over the last couple years and all I took away from it was that they quit on the field when they go down a score or two... I understand their, "Local Legendary Coach" that I believe has never won a playoff game is back helping why isn't this a positive help and why aren't they doing better? Also man does their head coach throw his hat a lot! It seems like a few years back this was a school that was on the verge of beating G-View and WLS now they just are in disarray and cannot pick a QB even though the Lefty is significantly better than the other kid, have heard there is a freshman than is a very good athlete. It would be nice for the league to see them turn it around!
Old 09-14-17, 08:43 AM
All Region

Jet19 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleballcoach45 View Post
What's the story with NE? Aren't they a school with tradition of football? Watched them play twice over the last couple years and all I took away from it was that they quit on the field when they go down a score or two... I understand their, "Local Legendary Coach" that I believe has never won a playoff game is back helping why isn't this a positive help and why aren't they doing better? Also man does their head coach throw his hat a lot! It seems like a few years back this was a school that was on the verge of beating G-View and WLS now they just are in disarray and cannot pick a QB even though the Lefty is significantly better than the other kid, have heard there is a freshman than is a very good athlete. It would be nice for the league to see them turn it around!
They had some really good teams in the 80s and 90s. 10-0 in 1985, 1988, 1990, and 1992. Also won the CBC in 1993. NE went to the playoffs all those years and were twice beaten by Urbana teams with Rogans on them. Once to Graham on a late PAT snafu, and once to an awesome Brookville team in 1992. NE's QB for that 1992 team was Sam Ricketts who went on to start QB for Miami Of Ohio. In 1995 Miami was the only team to defeat that Northwestern team with Darnell Autry and their current coach Pat Fitzgerald on it. Had some really good teams in the early 2000s. Going to the playoffs in 2000 the last season NE was in the CBC and winning OHC titles and going to the playoffs in 2002 and 2003. Losing to Coldwater one of those years. The only playoff game NE should have won was Paint Valley in 2000. Lost 30-28 after being up 28-24 late. Wasserman was fired over the phone 2 seasons after those back to back OHC titles and playoff runs and being the head coach for 25 years at NE. After back to back 5-5 seasons which were considered down years back then. Now when NE goes 5-5 it is considered a great team. lol

Jerry Wasserman was also the coach at Mechanicsburg before Northeastern where he had the #1 team in the state there before they had a playoffs. Wass is a good coach, I am just not sure he can make as big of an impact as he did in the past with his age and not being the head coach. It has to be different being an assistant after all those years of being used to running the show. He also takes care of his disabled son so at his age I am not sure he is going to come back and save the day.

With the current QB situation I completely agree with you. I have no clue what is going on there. The coach before Houseman ran a triple option that was terrible. His second year he had a team that had been undefeated through peewee and JH and barely went 6-4 with them and that was his best season in 9 years. He never beat Urbana, he only beat KR once. Now NE is not putting players where they need to be. It has been a mess since they fired Wass in 2005.
Old 09-14-17, 09:50 AM
Junior Varsity

Brutus SG is on a distinguished road
They lost to Versailles I believe 13 - 0 and ended up 9 - 3 that season.
Old 09-14-17, 10:30 AM
Freshman

oleballcoach45 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet19 View Post
They had some really good teams in the 80s and 90s. 10-0 in 1985, 1988, 1990, and 1992. Also won the CBC in 1993. NE went to the playoffs all those years and were twice beaten by Urbana teams with Rogans on them. Once to Graham on a late PAT snafu, and once to an awesome Brookville team in 1992. NE's QB for that 1992 team was Sam Ricketts who went on to start QB for Miami Of Ohio. In 1995 Miami was the only team to defeat that Northwestern team with Darnell Autry and their current coach Pat Fitzgerald on it. Had some really good teams in the early 2000s. Going to the playoffs in 2000 the last season NE was in the CBC and winning OHC titles and going to the playoffs in 2002 and 2003. Losing to Coldwater one of those years. The only playoff game NE should have won was Paint Valley in 2000. Lost 30-28 after being up 28-24 late. Wasserman was fired over the phone 2 seasons after those back to back OHC titles and playoff runs and being the head coach for 25 years at NE. After back to back 5-5 seasons which were considered down years back then. Now when NE goes 5-5 it is considered a great team. lol

Jerry Wasserman was also the coach at Mechanicsburg before Northeastern where he had the #1 team in the state there before they had a playoffs. Wass is a good coach, I am just not sure he can make as big of an impact as he did in the past with his age and not being the head coach. It has to be different being an assistant after all those years of being used to running the show. He also takes care of his disabled son so at his age I am not sure he is going to come back and save the day.

With the current QB situation I completely agree with you. I have no clue what is going on there. The coach before Houseman ran a triple option that was terrible. His second year he had a team that had been undefeated through peewee and JH and barely went 6-4 with them and that was his best season in 9 years. He never beat Urbana, he only beat KR once. Now NE is not putting players where they need to be. It has been a mess since they fired Wass in 2005.
Yes I believe that is all correct those teams in the early years of the OHC were absolute monsters! They had huge O and D lines, a mountain of a Fullback and not to mention a big QB. Yes I believe that they lost to Coldwater and Reading back to back years in blow outs. but Those teams did have some big games and big wins.Now they do not roll into town with a bus full of grown men like they NE of old, did they are barely scrapping together enough to fill two buses. From the outside looking in it seems like it is being run like a peewee program and each week everyone gets an opportunity to play wherever they want. You are correct about Wasserman he did win some games but it seems as if things have passed him by some and this coaching staff isn't on the same page. Also the last time that NE had an entire class go through and beat KR all four years was like 03! However I really do believe that they could and should be a force in the OHC if the reigns are brought back in and the right systems is put in place to fix it.
Old 09-14-17, 11:21 AM
Varsity

Cville-OMW is on a distinguished road
Week 4 already and some interesting games this week!!! Have I mentioned I just love HS football

WLS over CC - West Lib seems to be firing on all cylinders, looking forward to see if CenCath can keep it close

West Jefferson over Cedarville - WJ needs to follow BTO song "taking care of business" by not looking past Cedarville

Fairbanks over Madison Plains - counting on Fbanks being able to air it out against MP, plus still not sold on MP yet

Mburg over Greeneview - both teams very successful in recent history, this one a toss up as possibly the 2 best teams in OHC, but one has to lose and I can't go against Mburg yet, especially at home

Triad over Greenon - after playing Greenon last week, I am going with Triad. Greenon had some athletes and size but just looked a bit lost on the field (no disrespect intended!!!). Triad gets important 1st win

NE over SE - picking soley on points spreads of games to date, NE gets important 1st win
Old 09-14-17, 01:10 PM
Junior Varsity

I have always said that when West Jeff played Plains that don't look past them. They always have some athletes... they just can't put it together mentally. They usually fall apart around week four or five and its down hill from there. Hopefully they won't do that this year...
Old 09-14-17, 03:25 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus SG View Post
I have always said that when West Jeff played Plains that don't look past them. They always have some athletes... they just can't put it together mentally. They usually fall apart around week four or five and its down hill from there. Hopefully they won't do that this year...
For a long time IMO that's been the BAC/SCOL/MSL effect. They have almost always been the "little fish" or one of the smallest in just about every league they've been in. Outside of the 2-3 playoff teams the OHC produces every year, in a normal year everybody else would look bad playing the league schedules Plains normally has.

For example, I'd say the couple stints Plains has had in the SCOL competing against London, Miami Trace, Washington C.H., Clinton Massie, etc. would be comparable to NE or Greeneview competing in an eight team CBC that has Bellefontaine, Urbana, London, Kenton Ridge, etc.
Old 09-15-17, 05:38 AM
Varsity

Down The Road is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cville-OMW View Post
Week 4 already and some interesting games this week!!! Have I mentioned I just love HS football

WLS over CC - West Lib seems to be firing on all cylinders, looking forward to see if CenCath can keep it close

West Jefferson over Cedarville - WJ needs to follow BTO song "taking care of business" by not looking past Cedarville

Fairbanks over Madison Plains - counting on Fbanks being able to air it out against MP, plus still not sold on MP yet

Mburg over Greeneview - both teams very successful in recent history, this one a toss up as possibly the 2 best teams in OHC, but one has to lose and I can't go against Mburg yet, especially at home

Triad over Greenon - after playing Greenon last week, I am going with Triad. Greenon had some athletes and size but just looked a bit lost on the field (no disrespect intended!!!). Triad gets important 1st win

NE over SE - picking soley on points spreads of games to date, NE gets important 1st win
I think there will be 4 competitive games this week and 2 maybe not so much. On a couple of the ones that I believe to be competitive -
The Fairbanks vs MP will be interesting to see how those 2 match up, they sound like polar opposites in some ways. From what I'm told MP will try to overpower you and Fairbanks likes to play in space - that could be fun.
For the Burg vs Greeneview game I hope the boys from the Burg can keep the creek on the rise and just go play their butts off, the Rams will have several advantages going into the game and I'm sure they've marked this one for a while.
Should be a good night for football.
Old 09-15-17, 05:49 AM
All Region

wls_color is on a distinguished road
West Jeff fans are seeming to gain some confidence on here! I still believe they're the best or second best team in the conference this year - that hasn't change. Only time will tell.

As for Northeastern, they've never really gotten over the hump in the OHC. Every time you think they'll be in contention, they end up around .500 with some disappointing losses.

Here is how they've finished since 2001 (OHC's first year):

2001 2-8 (0-7)
2002 7-3 (6-1) *Playoffs **Co-Champs
2003 7-3 (6-1) *Playoffs **Co-Champs
2004 5-5 (4-3)
2005 5-5 (4-3)
2006 4-6 (3-4)
2007 6-4 (5-2)
2008 2-8 (2-5)
2009 4-6 (3-4)
2010 6-4 (5-2)
2011 5-5 (4-3)
2012 4-6 (4-3)
2013 3-7 (2-5)
2014 3-7 (1-6)
2015 2-8 (2-5)
2016 5-5 (4-3)

All-time OHC record is 55-57. As you can see, they've been about as mediocre as you can possible be since joining the OHC. They've always had size, but just have never been able to put it together. I consider them a dark horse every year, because you never really know what to expect - the kids are there to make them the most consistent team in the conference, unfortunately it's just not ever really been put together.

Best of luck to all tonight! I think we will have some clear answers at about 10:30 pm.

I'm keeping my eye on G'view / Burg first and foremost. Secondly, the score of the WLS/SCC game. Lastly, the MP/Fairbanks game will give us a good indication on which of those teams has a shot to pull of some upsets.
Old 09-15-17, 06:47 AM
Junior Varsity

Yea it took me a bit to come over... I saw some familiar names on here that were on Huddle so I thought I would sign up. I agree wls_color, those are the games that I will be watching as well. I'm still holding judgement on whether or not West Jeff is the best in the OHC. I knew after the 2014 class graduated that there would be a down turn in production in football. The teams didn't seem hungry enough. I keep focusing on how the defense looks compared to the defenses I grew up watching as a kid from the 70's till I graduated in the late 80's. The 90's had a dip with exception of Brad Lohr's class who lost to Versailles. The 2000's defenses were pretty good as well with Shane Cahill and company leading the way. Hopefully they will not get complacent after these first three games. From what I have read, I don't think they will be tested until they play Central Catholic with Fairbanks and the Burg to follow. But they cannot over look Cedarville who they play tonight. Good luck to all the teams and thanks for having us... If I'm not mistaken, I believe W.J. has tried to get into the OHC over the past years but only to be denied by one vote. The story I heard was that it was because of football back when Coach Keel was coaching the Riders. Oh well... Were here now and I think it is a good fit for the school in all sports.
Old 09-15-17, 07:52 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by wls_color View Post
West Jeff fans are seeming to gain some confidence on here! I still believe they're the best or second best team in the conference this year - that hasn't change. Only time will tell.

As for Northeastern, they've never really gotten over the hump in the OHC. Every time you think they'll be in contention, they end up around .500 with some disappointing losses.

2001 2-8 (0-7)
2004 5-5 (4-3)
2005 5-5 (4-3)
2006 4-6 (3-4)
2007 6-4 (5-2)
2008 2-8 (2-5)
2009 4-6 (3-4)
2010 6-4 (5-2)
2011 5-5 (4-3)
2012 4-6 (4-3)
2013 3-7 (2-5)
2014 3-7 (1-6)
2015 2-8 (2-5)
2016 5-5 (4-3)

All-time OHC record is 55-57. As you can see, they've been about as mediocre as you can possible be since joining the OHC. They've always had size, but just have never been able to put it together. I consider them a dark horse every year, because you never really know what to expect - the kids are there to make them the most consistent team in the conference, unfortunately it's just not ever really been put together.

Best of luck to all tonight! I think we will have some clear answers at about 10:30 pm.

I'm keeping my eye on G'view / Burg first and foremost. Secondly, the score of the WLS/SCC game. Lastly, the MP/Fairbanks game will give us a good indication on which of those teams has a shot to pull of some upsets.
I believe the WJ fans gaining confidence is with good reason from what I can tell. Glad to have them in the OHC even though the Burg playing them for over 15 years the kinda felt like a league game for a while now.

I had the WLS/SCC game in the not so competitive category - Am I missing something with Central. I know this doesn't always work...... but both WLS and SCC played Graham and the Tigers got out with a victory and the Irish got rolled by 4 td's. And it also sounds as though WLS is getting better week to week.

Good luck to all tonight
Old 09-15-17, 08:35 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down The Road View Post
I believe the WJ fans gaining confidence is with good reason from what I can tell. Glad to have them in the OHC even though the Burg playing them for over 15 years the kinda felt like a league game for a while now.

I had the WLS/SCC game in the not so competitive category - Am I missing something with Central. I know this doesn't always work...... but both WLS and SCC played Graham and the Tigers got out with a victory and the Irish got rolled by 4 td's. And it also sounds as though WLS is getting better week to week.

Good luck to all tonight
SCC has 2-3 really good players - players that would probably start for every other team in the OHC. The issue is, they don't have much around them. Those guys will be tough to contain and could make things interesting against some teams that on paper should win big.

Also, Graham had every opportunity to beat WLS. That's why that doesn't always work. I attribute that win to WLS knowing how to handle success and Graham not winning a lot.

The Tigers are getting better each week for sure. They can make a statement tonight, albeit most people won't know it's a statement because CC is kind of a sleeper.
Old 09-15-17, 06:37 PM
All Region

Greeneview vs Mechanicsburg

Greeneview - 7
Mechanicsburg -0

5 mins left in 2nd Q
Old 09-15-17, 06:43 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by wls_color View Post

2001 2-8 (0-7)
2004 5-5 (4-3)
2005 5-5 (4-3)
2006 4-6 (3-4)
2007 6-4 (5-2)
2008 2-8 (2-5)
2009 4-6 (3-4)
2010 6-4 (5-2)
2011 5-5 (4-3)
2012 4-6 (4-3)
2013 3-7 (2-5)
2014 3-7 (1-6)
2015 2-8 (2-5)
2016 5-5 (4-3)

You are exactly right. It's kind of like West Liberty Salem and Northeastern kind of switched football tradition with the century change. lol. I am not going to quote your other post as well but as much as I don't want to I agree with it too. Someone razzed me for saying West Liberty Salem was "tuning" up vs Graham and I think WLS would prob beat them by 3 TDs in week 10 because that is the program that Toby Smith built there, just as he has revamping the Bellefontaine program. Anyone who has been around the OHC knows that West Liberty Salem always gets better every single week.
We have some good football coming up with these WLS, WJ, and Burg games.

I hope NE can turn it around? I'm blue in the face talking about the personnel issues. They need a W vs SE tonight, but I think Coach Printz might sneak his 1st SE win out tonight,
Old 09-15-17, 06:45 PM
All Region

Greeneview vs Mechanicsburg

7-7 Halftime
Old 09-15-17, 10:28 PM
All District

Bluehawg is on a distinguished road
Huge congrats to Greenon on picking up a win vs Triad!!!!
Old 09-15-17, 11:29 PM
Freshman

WestJefferson is on a distinguished road
Go WJ ! ! !
Old 09-15-17, 11:38 PM
All Yappi

Big evening with Greenon snapping their 33 game skid and Printz picking up his first win at SE.

It's only week 4, but Greeneview probably just wrapped up an undefeated season with their win over Mechanicsburg. If there was any doubt remaining, I think it's quite clear now that Mechanicsburg is still a very good football team.
Old 09-16-17, 12:04 AM
All Region

Interesting that Ben Logan nearly had Jonathan Alder beat. WLS may be legit, that's a team the Tigers beat by 30.

I agree that Greeneview goes 10-0 now.
Old 09-16-17, 12:18 AM
All Yappi

That was one of a few local results that really jumped out at me as well. I figured Alder would win fairly easily.
Old 09-16-17, 03:31 PM
All American

AHS2007 is on a distinguished road
Also Greeneview played a very challenging OOC schedule with Waynesville and CHCA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-17, 07:37 PM
Varsity

Purplepuma is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHS2007 View Post
Also Greeneview played a very challenging OOC schedule with Waynesville and CHCA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greeneview didn't play CHCA this year and Waynesville isn't good.

With that said, Greeneview is a solid team that will probably go 10-0, which should be good enough for the top seed in Region 20
Old 09-16-17, 08:54 PM
All American

19AL63 is on a distinguished road
Greeneview played Arcanum and Waynesville for their out of conference games
Old 09-17-17, 08:25 AM
Varsity

That Burg - Greeneview game was a good one! I would've rather us (Burg) came out on top and the chances were there but to the Ram's credit they made plays when they needed to and stopped us at critical points. Those things decided the game. That Greeneview team is pretty dang good, it's a shame they won't get the chance to play West Liberty or West Jeff (I'm betting they will in the playoffs). I was impressed that the Burg boys stayed in and fought toe to toe the entire night after getting the wind taken out of their sails with the early turnover for a TD, I was hoping we would be on the receiving end of one of those.

IF the Burg wants to play in week 11 the margin for error is slim, I hope the team can build from this and come out on the other side of those close ones the rest of the year. And we'll have to get right back at it going to play a good MP team this week.
Old 09-18-17, 11:13 AM
All Region

UPDATED FANTASTIC50.NET POWER RANKINGS:

1. Greeneview (178 overall, +96 spots) 3rd last week
2. West Liberty-Salem (216 overall, +9 spots) 2nd last week
3. Mechanicsburg (226 overall, -73 spots) 1st last week
4. West Jefferson (340 overall, +1 spots) 4th last week
5. Fairbanks (470 overall, +76 spots) 6th last week
6. Madison Plains (550 overall, -68 spots) 5th last week
7. Catholic Central (568 overall, -4 spots) 7th last week
8. Southeastern (623 overall, +42 spots) 11th last week
9. Greenon (629 overall, +26 spots) 10th last week
10. Northeastern (656 overall, -43 spots) 8th last week
11. Triad (657 overall, -14 spots) 9th last week
12. Cedarville (684 overall, +5 spots) 12th last week
Old 09-18-17, 11:17 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down The Road View Post
That Burg - Greeneview game was a good one! I would've rather us (Burg) came out on top and the chances were there but to the Ram's credit they made plays when they needed to and stopped us at critical points. Those things decided the game. That Greeneview team is pretty dang good, it's a shame they won't get the chance to play West Liberty or West Jeff (I'm betting they will in the playoffs). I was impressed that the Burg boys stayed in and fought toe to toe the entire night after getting the wind taken out of their sails with the early turnover for a TD, I was hoping we would be on the receiving end of one of those.

IF the Burg wants to play in week 11 the margin for error is slim, I hope the team can build from this and come out on the other side of those close ones the rest of the year. And we'll have to get right back at it going to play a good MP team this week.
Nice tune-up game for Burg this week. Not a cake walk, but a game they should win comfortably. Then it's a tough 2 weeks, I think the Burg wins at least one of those 2 games (WLS and/or West Jefferson) and makes it in the playoffs. 8-2 gets them in I believe. 7-3 probably does not.
Old 09-18-17, 11:20 AM
All Region

Week 5 Schedule:

Catholic Central (2-2) at West Jefferson (4-0)
Cedarville (0-4) at Triad (0-4)
Fairbanks (2-2) at Southeastern (1-3)
Northeastern (0-4) at Greeneview (4-0)
Greenon (1-2) at West Liberty-Salem (4-0)
Mechanicsburg (3-1) at Madison Plains (2-2)
Old 09-18-17, 11:20 AM
All Region

West Jefferson over Catholic Central - I don't think that there is much argument that SCC is the best team West Jefferson has played thus far. This game should give us an indication on how the cards will fall for the Rough Riders down the stretch.

Triad over Cedarville - The loser of this game likely goes 0-10. It could really go either way. I'm taking the Cardinals at home, they've seemed to score points and had some closer games.

Fairbanks over Southeastern - I think Printz is starting to get the boys to play down in South Charleston, and this could a fairly close game. However, Fairbanks proved that they are a good football team with their win last week and are the favorite in this one.

Greeneview at Northeastern - The Rams may very well be the best team in the OHC. Northeastern is struggling. I don't think this will be a blow out (30+ points), but I think Greeneview is a 2-3 score favorite for sure.

West Liberty-Salem over Greenon - Congrats to the Knights on their win Friday! Unfortunately they don't get too much time to celebrate as they have to prep for WLS. It's tough to say if WLS is the best team Greenon has faced, Greenon has played West Jefferson and Ft. Loramie. WLS' defense has been pretty good the last 2 games (really all year), but I actually expect Greenon to score some points and this score may surprise a few. On paper I'd say 42-7ish WLS. In reality I'm thinking about 35-18ish WLS.

Mechanicsburg over Madison Plains - I think the Burg rebounds quite nicely and takes out Madison Plains by about 3-4 scores.

Last edited by wls_color; 09-18-17 at 11:39 AM.